Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,630 members, 7,809,350 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:11 AM

My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police (28325 Views)

My Recent Experience / Taraba Women Protest The Recent Killings By Bandits (Photos) / 7 Things That Can Get You Into Trouble With The Police(SARS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by Euegene100001: 2:56pm On Jan 08, 2020
Same almost happened to me and my brother yesterday in owerri we are kopa’s from Edo State serving in owerri imo state yesterday we had our clearance as we do finish we enta taxi leading home near Imsu sars stopped our taxi looked into the car and asked my brother to come down I simple came down with him .I quickly collected my phone and deleted my nysc alert cos those men are mad plus I’m a betking agent I deleted all my alerts the guy police guy became mad and started to bark that he will slap me why I’m pressing my phone nae I sufri leave am b4 I collect sliding tackle Na so e collect the phone com smile as he see say na iPhone he quick start to dey search am.The first place he went to was my WhatsApp he scrolled thru looking for a foreign number all he kept seeing were betking ,betking and more betking and my workers number he search till my phone went off he gave me back and he asked us to go. I just laugh commot. I saw shame all over his face he was disappointed. Even with nysc uniform and I’d card the slowpoke still dey search us. Most police men should just go back to sch this primary 6 qualification is really doing more harm than good

6 Likes

Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by GboyegaD(m): 2:58pm On Jan 08, 2020
Orofun1:
Same with me bro, to avoid stories that touch....I dey always get #100 notes in my car, not minding the fact that all my vehicle documents are in order. Once they ask me what I bring for them, na to dash them #100 , make one yeye gun totting idiot no come do me nonsense

It is very saddening to say the least. On my way to Akure, between Ibadan and the Ipetumodu bye pass, we met almost 8 check points. One wonders if they are specially recruited for this purpose.
Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by mekuxiani(m): 3:00pm On Jan 08, 2020
solotutu:
My Experience with Nigerian Police officers on my way to PPA.
A Real Life Experience as Narrated to closest Description.

So yesterday I and my friend who are graduated from EKSU who are NYSC corpers resuming in ENUGU for Posting from Ekiti state were stopped AT A CHECKPOINT by The NPF in the bus and one of us was accused of being a fraudster (Yahoo Yahoo) cos he carried a Laptop and there was tape on the webcam.

He was first suspected cos of his Looks. One of the most insane and annoying Reasons to accuse or suspect someone for fraud.
He was separated from all the passengers and our bus was delayed for 30mins everyone had to alight from the bus.

After denying or agreeing to their forceful advise to confess to what he didn't do. The driver of the bus was asked to drop his load.
And they ordered the bus to go. After paying bus fare and our Destination was still far away imagine such cruelty.

I agreed to stay with my friend and refused to agree with their claims. His phone was Seized and denied access to any of his things. I started to make calls but MTN network was so poor in the region, we were at UDI, FRSC Enugu.

I already knew all these was a ploy to extort money from us so I kept vouching for my friend and saying I can't leave him for them to carry on their threat to take him to EFCC office for questioning Without any evidence seen or gotten from their claim, It was a very messed up situation.

After few mins his load was put in their honda car and the Police in charge said they should take him to EFCC.

My friend agreed to accompany them since they started to talk aggressively and forceful.. note: they were armed and it's early 2020. We know what I'm trying to say.

So I went to talk to the officer in command to let us know how my friend can be freed from whatever crime they said he committed, he said my friend and the two other officers would settle it in the car, that any arrangement (bribe/ Extortion) he wants to do he should settle it with them. He said if my friend had agreed to their claim and not played smart he would just leave us to go (A ploy again for us to implicate ourselves) I was so furious inside me but I kept my cool.

They took my friend and were already driving when I refused to let him go alone the oga called them and said I should go with them.
I had already updated my NYSC group chat and asked people to start calling whoever they could to help us out. The Local Gov Inspector was msgd and called, but he was not answering calls, and the corpers were already active to solve the situation we were facing.

In the car the officer asked my friend to open his phone hoping to see any evidence but he found none. They searched even his bank alert notification and were probably disappointed.

He was allowed to make a phone call after much protesting so he called his mum, and explained what happened... She requested to speak to the officer and she did. She told them we are just coming from Ekiti state and that they should check us well and if there was nothing to say we were Yahoo boys we must be released. She told my friend she would start to make calls... That must have scared them.

We both kept our story straight and telling them that we are not fraudsters and by now they would have seen or gotten what they wanted. I explained that I was a photographer and A PR/ influencer and that our dressing or gadgets is not evidence of us as Yahoo boys. My friend also explained to them that he was a computer science graduate and webcams are usually hacked that's why the webcam was covered. By then they had driven us 20 mins away and passed their Police station already when they said we would pay 100,000 to clear ourselves that we have hidden all the evidence. Such bullshit!!! We told them they'll have to kill us to get the 100k that we came to Enugu to get cleared for the allowance from Fed govt.

The officer driving called the oga and spoke their dialect, I was sure he was saying that the ploy or operation was not successful and that we weren't Yahoo boys they wouldn't get any big payday money from us either ways. So I'm sure he was instructed to return, The car was turned around and we headed back to the checkpoint the Oga was waiting.

Well they got tired I guess and the Oga started to say that we must pay for the fuel in their car since we wasted their time... wow another stunner. Inside life.. I thanked God that my thinking and Jasi was like a marlian...

My friend paid 3,000 as bail/fuel money that's what they called it we were released. All this had happened and then calls started to come in. The LI called me to ask what was happening, I was just furious cos his call came in Late after all had happened. I just replied we had been released. He didn't even ask any more questions he just dropped the call. Mtcheewww.
My friend was pissed and frustrated. A bus was stopped for us and we boarded and left.

It's sad how things like this keep happening daily and in the face of the Government and
Top Officials of the Nigerian police force.
Unapproved Checkpoints of which the main purpose is not carried out.
- Unlawful stop and search of passengers based on appearances,
- - checking of people's phones without warrant or real evidence that the owner is a fraudster or Yahoo whatever.
- Brutal assault to unarmed citizens and youths without cause.
The List goes on and on. Something need to be done. And whoever is ready to do the right thing should start with the little they can do.

Your suggestions are welcomed.

How are you sure they are not kidnappers
Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by DaddyMorenike: 3:01pm On Jan 08, 2020
Onozboy:

Sharap
English is a borrowed language
you for type with your own language Na. I know eksu boys to be sensible. Please don't prove me wrong.
Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by Irore: 3:02pm On Jan 08, 2020
martowskin1:

When u know the kind of country u live in, if they shoot u, nothing will happen. They can still easily frame u up and u go to jail, no one will prove ur innocence.

Don't u think it will be smart to avoid things that make them put eyes on u?

Take the crazy hair out , stop carrying ur laptop about.

This is Nigeria not America..... Things can move from 0 to 100 real fast

Exactly what I told my son to avoid embarrassment when he started wearing coiled hair. Thank God he immediately complied.

3 Likes

Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by Adam00(m): 3:03pm On Jan 08, 2020
The police is your friend
Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by DaddyMorenike: 3:03pm On Jan 08, 2020
quirus:

Pick the log from your eyes first.

Have you checked your dictionary lately? You need to do it often.
hope the dictionary has paid off for you. Your life don better abi?
Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by Irore: 3:04pm On Jan 08, 2020
mekuxiani:

How are you sure they are not kidnappers

Good question from a police nairalander inspite of daily reports of their atrocities.

1 Like

Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by Orofun1: 3:04pm On Jan 08, 2020
Try and drive from Ibadan to Adoekiti via Efon Alaye and you will wonder whether we are at war considering the sheer no of police checkpoints on that route....my own advice...find your way out of this country if you want to live long
GboyegaD:

It is very saddening to say the least. On my way to Akure, between Ibadan and the Ipetumodu bye pass, we met almost 8 check points. One wonders if they are specially recruited for this purpose.

4 Likes

Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by ehmmy11(m): 3:06pm On Jan 08, 2020
If you must travel waybill your laptop and iPhone to your destination and travel with your palasa..

grin

Keep voting brain dead lunatics into office

1 Like

Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jan 08, 2020
Drop there plate number and the name of the station, if you have name of one of them
Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by Irore: 3:08pm On Jan 08, 2020
Euegene100001:
Same almost happened to me and my brother yesterday in owerri we are kopa’s from Edo State serving in owerri imo state yesterday we had our clearance as we do finish we enta taxi leading home near Imsu sars stopped our taxi looked into the car and asked my brother to come down I simple came down with him .I quickly collected my phone and deleted my nysc alert cos those men are mad plus I’m a betking agent I deleted all my alerts the guy police guy became mad and started to bark that he will slap me why I’m pressing my phone nae I sufri leave am b4 I collect sliding tackle Na so e collect the phone com smile as he see say na iPhone he quick start to dey search am.The first place he went to was my WhatsApp he scrolled thru looking for a foreign number all he kept seeing were betking ,betking and more betking and my workers number he search till my phone went off he gave me back and he asked us to go. I just laugh commot. I saw shame all over his face he was disappointed. Even with nysc uniform and I’d card the slowpoke still dey search us. Most police men should just go back to sch this primary 6 qualification is really doing more harm than good

I thought the director of NYSC is an army general.
Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by Irore: 3:09pm On Jan 08, 2020
Orofun1:
Try and drive from Ibadan to Adoekiti via Efon Alaye and you will wonder whether we are at war considering the sheer no of police checkpoints on that route....my own advice...find your way out of this country if you want to live long

Let's try reporting to the nearest police station.
Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by Christmasdon(m): 3:11pm On Jan 08, 2020
martowskin1:

When u know the kind of country u live in, if they shoot u, nothing will happen. They can still easily frame u up and u go to jail, no one will prove ur innocence.

Don't u think it will be smart to avoid things that make them put eyes on u?

Take the crazy hair out , stop carrying ur laptop about.

This is Nigeria not America..... Things can move from 0 to 100 real fast
.Exactly i share the same opinion with you. the way our guys dress eh. dressing anyhow. dress good. dont dress like this guys over the bet9ja counter who bet your game for you. avoid such laicadaisical dressing.

1 Like

Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by bigiyaro(m): 3:12pm On Jan 08, 2020
uboma:
Instead of giving the Nigerian Police cash, insist on doing an electronic transfer to their bank account. This way, one has evidence to nail them.
nail them to what?
Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by GboyegaD(m): 3:14pm On Jan 08, 2020
Orofun1:

Are there much check points in other parts of the country? Could it be that crime rates are low in the SW is why they are so free to have check points every 3km to 5km OR they have chosen to abandon their primary responsibility?
Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by ceasare: 3:19pm On Jan 08, 2020
At any given instance u r facing any member of the police
Rule nos 1 wether u are charged for any offence or not
fucking cram the nos on their chest thats how you can get
Justice after sorting them out
Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jan 08, 2020
solotutu:

So yesterday I and my friend who are graduated from EKSU who are NYSC corpers resuming in ENUGU for Posting from Ekiti state were stopped AT A CHECKPOINT by The NPF in the bus and one of us was accused of being a fraudster (Yahoo Yahoo) cos he carried a Laptop and there was tape on the webcam.

He was first suspected cos of his Looks. One of the most insane and annoying Reasons to accuse or suspect someone for fraud.
He was separated from all the passengers and our bus was delayed for 30mins everyone had to alight from the bus.

After denying or agreeing to their forceful advise to confess to what he didn't do. The driver of the bus was asked to drop his load.
And they ordered the bus to go. After paying bus fare and our Destination was still far away imagine such cruelty.

I agreed to stay with my friend and refused to agree with their claims. His phone was Seized and denied access to any of his things. I started to make calls but MTN network was so poor in the region, we were at UDI, FRSC Enugu.

I already knew all these was a ploy to extort money from us so I kept vouching for my friend and saying I can't leave him for them to carry on their threat to take him to EFCC office for questioning Without any evidence seen or gotten from their claim, It was a very messed up situation.

After few mins his load was put in their honda car and the Police in charge said they should take him to EFCC.

My friend agreed to accompany them since they started to talk aggressively and forceful.. note: they were armed and it's early 2020. We know what I'm trying to say.

So I went to talk to the officer in command to let us know how my friend can be freed from whatever crime they said he committed, he said my friend and the two other officers would settle it in the car, that any arrangement (bribe/ Extortion) he wants to do he should settle it with them. He said if my friend had agreed to their claim and not played smart he would just leave us to go (A ploy again for us to implicate ourselves) I was so furious inside me but I kept my cool.

They took my friend and were already driving when I refused to let him go alone the oga called them and said I should go with them.
I had already updated my NYSC group chat and asked people to start calling whoever they could to help us out. The Local Gov Inspector was msgd and called, but he was not answering calls, and the corpers were already active to solve the situation we were facing.

In the car the officer asked my friend to open his phone hoping to see any evidence but he found none. They searched even his bank alert notification and were probably disappointed.

He was allowed to make a phone call after much protesting so he called his mum, and explained what happened... She requested to speak to the officer and she did. She told them we are just coming from Ekiti state and that they should check us well and if there was nothing to say we were Yahoo boys we must be released. She told my friend she would start to make calls... That must have scared them.

We both kept our story straight and telling them that we are not fraudsters and by now they would have seen or gotten what they wanted. I explained that I was a photographer and A PR/ influencer and that our dressing or gadgets is not evidence of us as Yahoo boys. My friend also explained to them that he was a computer science graduate and webcams are usually hacked that's why the webcam was covered. By then they had driven us 20 mins away and passed their Police station already when they said we would pay 100,000 to clear ourselves that we have hidden all the evidence. Such bullshit!!! We told them they'll have to kill us to get the 100k that we came to Enugu to get cleared for the allowance from Fed govt.

The officer driving called the oga and spoke their dialect, I was sure he was saying that the ploy or operation was not successful and that we weren't Yahoo boys they wouldn't get any big payday money from us either ways. So I'm sure he was instructed to return, The car was turned around and we headed back to the checkpoint the Oga was waiting.

Well they got tired I guess and the Oga started to say that we must pay for the fuel in their car since we wasted their time... wow another stunner. Inside life.. I thanked God that my thinking and Jasi was like a marlian...

My friend paid 3,000 as bail/fuel money that's what they called it we were released. All this had happened and then calls started to come in. The LI called me to ask what was happening, I was just furious cos his call came in Late after all had happened. I just replied we had been released. He didn't even ask any more questions he just dropped the call. Mtcheewww.
My friend was pissed and frustrated. A bus was stopped for us and we boarded and left.

It's sad how things like this keep happening daily and in the face of the Government and
- - checking of people's phones without warrant or real evidence that the owner is a fraudster or Yahoo whatever.
The List goes on and on. Something need to be done. And whoever is ready to do the right thing should start with the little they can do.

Next time show them your Id card,as a corper the police are to cooperate with you,sorry for the embarrassment
Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by thatigboman: 3:20pm On Jan 08, 2020
GboyegaD:

Are there much check points in other parts of the country? Could it be that crime rates are low in the SW is why they are so free to have check points every 3km to 5km OR they have chosen to abandon their primary responsibility?
portharcourt to owerri had up to 20 checkpoints when I passed during the Christmas season
Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by CrazyMan(m): 3:22pm On Jan 08, 2020
uboma:
Instead of giving the Nigerian Police cash, insist on doing an electronic transfer to their bank account. This way, one has evidence to nail them.
I won't advice this... Nigeria police are nasty and heartless criminals.

If you make a transfer to them and a debit alert comes on your phone displaying your balance, if it's close to or above six figures they won't mind kidnapping you and demanding more transfers.

The best is to give them cash, then try and cram at least one of them's number tag and report to relevant authorities.

3 Likes

Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by seanwilliam(m): 3:28pm On Jan 08, 2020
Grupo:

Same with me bro. Wisdom is profitable to direct.

I swear even, I make sure everything I get for house has receipt too.. i no dey even wear attractive clothes like That( like heavy disigner).. I no dey go joints , hangout with many friends.. Nigeria is not safe again .. if I see money, I dey japa forever

1 Like

Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by odinga1of: 3:32pm On Jan 08, 2020
solotutu:

from your narative, it's clear you are an Ajebuterr, next time tell your friend to
Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by xenten: 3:48pm On Jan 08, 2020
very bad english for a graduate.
Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by Clinghton: 3:50pm On Jan 08, 2020
Accusing people of crimes the are innocent of and extorting them reveals the height of decay in the force.
Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by staga: 3:54pm On Jan 08, 2020
solotutu:

You people fear too much. You should have insisted to be carried to the EFCC office.
Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by femmyapson(m): 4:05pm On Jan 08, 2020
i was an eksuite..checkd ur dp n saw ur pic..u re in engineering..u re popularly knw as solotoz...seems u re in mech...sorry for wat u experienced..

1 Like

Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by delzbaba(m): 4:08pm On Jan 08, 2020
Have you heard of SEGALINK, before? if not get on twitter search for him and lay your complaint.
Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by Ihutomi: 4:28pm On Jan 08, 2020
After all these things u wrote here u didn't have the liver to write the police man name or service number am disappointed at that.well happy new year

1 Like

Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by Jakpon: 4:29pm On Jan 08, 2020
GboyegaD:

The checkpoints in the South East is on another level. Mopol, regular police, SARS, Army, civil defence, customs, immigration, narcotics(ndlea). It's just as if we are in a cage
Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by iluvdonjazzy: 4:37pm On Jan 08, 2020
chillex8:
A picture of the hair style of your friend?

90% of armed robbers/cultist/hooligan/agbero/yahoo boy share the same hair style.

Same way ladies who wear ankle chain and waist need are stereotyped as prostitutes.
and tattoo
Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by Tunyx01: 4:48pm On Jan 08, 2020
uboma:

They aren't fools, they would rather drive you to a nearest ATM and ask you to withdraw the cash for them. this happened to a friend of mine at Olorin few years when he was stopped FSARS. those people are rubbers in uniform.
Re: My Recent Tragic Experience With The Police by Afodot0022(m): 4:52pm On Jan 08, 2020
CHAI....see graduate with poor constructed English. Op am sure you finished with a pass in that school. Anyways sorry for your encounter.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Men Arrested After Threatening To Kidnap Their Boss Or His Daughter. Photos / Body Of 2-yr-old Exhumed In Church Premises / Man Who Stole Gas Cylinder In Rivers Stripped, Paraded With It On His Head (Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.