Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,002 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:22 AM

What Do You Drink And Why? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Do You Drink And Why? (1302 Views)

Which Of These Brands Of Coca-cola Did You Drink? Years. / Do You Drink Fresh Palm Wine? Watch The Process Of Tapping Palm Wine / What's Your Favourite Alcoholic Drink And Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Drink And Why? by Curiouscity(m): 10:04pm On Jan 08, 2020
Nigerians have been noted worldwide as people who are so proud of our food culture. That is why Nigerians in diaspora still find ways to eat Nigerian food, no matter how expensive.

On the contrary, we hardly talk about drinks. It appears Nigerians don't regard Drinks as part of the food culture. Many people I have interacted with outside believe we Nigerians don't know what we drink. Yet, we have a $15 billion alcoholic beverage market. Is it true we drink whatever people around us drink without knowing personal reasons?

What do you drink and why do you drink that?
If you drink beer, mention the brand and why you prefer that brand. If you drink, liquor (gin, vodka, whiskey etc) say so, and give reasons. If you drink wine, state that factors behind your choice.

I enjoy Mead. Mead is wine made from honey. I drink it because, it is the oldest of all alcoholic beverages. It doesn't give some of the hangover effect associated with wines, like headaches since mead contains no tannins. It gives all the benefits of honey, but without the high sugar!
Re: What Do You Drink And Why? by imiski(m): 10:23pm On Jan 08, 2020
I prefer black label. Because beer gives me headache, and almost everybody takes beer. OP where do you buy this your mead I would like to try it. Whats the alcohol content.
Re: What Do You Drink And Why? by Curiouscity(m): 11:09pm On Jan 08, 2020
imiski:
I prefer black label. Because beer gives me headache, and almost everybody takes beer. OP where do you buy this your mead I would like to try it. Whats the alcohol content.

I have asked many friends and even wine sellers in Nigeria, sadly mead in not sold in Nigeria. But there are few meaderies (where mead is made) in South Africa, and many developed countries. I buy mine from Canada and USA.
Re: What Do You Drink And Why? by Cousin9999: 12:42am On Jan 09, 2020
I don't know what local chefs, breweries, and wine makers are doing, but tapping the nation's native fruits and herbs is an excellent way to change the beverage culture.

Whether it's fruit wines, spicy beers, teas, or juice blends using local superfood; this should be explored more. I'm sure this already happens, but it's not mass-produced and marketed to the masses in a major way, or in a way more attractive than foreign brands.

This phenomenon is usually biggest in warm, coastal places. You see it all over the world with juice bars on every corner and companies making their own blends. You see it with the wine market as well.
Re: What Do You Drink And Why? by Curiouscity(m): 2:48am On Jan 09, 2020
Cousin9999:
I don't know what local chefs, breweries, and wine makers are doing, but tapping the nation's native fruits and herbs is an excellent way to change the beverage culture.

Whether it's fruit wines, spicy beers, teas, or juice blends using local superfood; this should be explored more. I'm sure this already happens, but it's not mass-produced and marketed to the masses in a major way, or in a way more attractive than foreign brands.

This phenomenon is usually biggest in warm, coastal places. You see it all over the world with juice bars on every corner and companies making their own blends. You see it with the wine market as well.

Very apt!

Still surprise that 95% of the wines and liquors in Nigeria is imported. Yet, we have tonnes of our fruits wasting away.

I hope we can change that soonest.
Re: What Do You Drink And Why? by injuredman: 12:21am On Jan 10, 2020
I drink "Palmie"!

Our local palm wine has low alcoholic content, loaded with useful microbes and flora. The life yeast in it help in eyesight. Most importantly, it is delicious, especially when fresh!

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Drink And Why? by Curiouscity(m): 7:39pm On Jan 12, 2020
injuredman:
I drink "Palmie"!

Our local palm wine has low alcoholic content, loaded with useful microbes and flora. The life yeast in it help in eyesight. Most importantly, it is delicious, especially when fresh!

I like palmie too. But sadly, it is becoming scarce. Nigerians are not thinking of packaging it to extend the shelf life. I it can be made available in shops all year round.
Re: What Do You Drink And Why? by Xente: 1:26pm On Jan 28, 2020
I can say about myself that I am not a fan of alcoholic beverages, but if there are times when my friends and I drink, I take myself Jack Daniels. For me it is the most delicious drink.
Re: What Do You Drink And Why? by chii8(f): 3:43pm On Jan 28, 2020
I drink this.... Why? I just love the taste,although I prefer the strawberry brand of it.

Re: What Do You Drink And Why? by Curiouscity(m): 11:46pm On Mar 03, 2020
Xente:
I can say about myself that I am not a fan of alcoholic beverages, but if there are times when my friends and I drink, I take myself Jack Daniels. For me it is the most delicious drink.

If I may ask, what sets Jack Daniels aside from other Whiskeys?

I don't see any difference personally!
Re: What Do You Drink And Why? by Laird(m): 1:35pm On Dec 17, 2020
Local indigenous production of non alcoholic drinks and non alcoholic wines should be fine
Re: What Do You Drink And Why? by yunqdady: 9:17pm On Sep 30, 2021
Laird:
Local indigenous production of non alcoholic drinks and non alcoholic wines should be fine
what year did you graduate?

(1) (Reply)

See The Food I Cook With 200 Naira / Affi's Plate : NO FISH HEAD ALLOWED!! / I Am Really Hungry For Nigerian Food In Louisiana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.