Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,207 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:19 AM

British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis (2538 Views)

Deputy Speaker, Kalu Set To Make Special Presentation At British House Of Common / Buhari Takes Charge As Extraordinary FEC Meeting Deliberates On 2020 Budget / Plateau Killings: We Will Not Allow Another Rwanda Genocide – UK House Of Lords (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by Nik77: 12:39am On Jan 09, 2020
UK HOUSE OF LORDS

Her Ladyship The Baroness Cox requested to publish her speech from yesterday’s debate in the House of Lords about the tragic situation in Nigeria.

She recounted, amongst other things, how many thousands of civilians were killed in attacks led by Islamist Boko Haram and Fulani militias in northern and central-belt states.

In her words, “the underlying drivers of conflict are complex, yet targeted violence and the perpetration of atrocities against predominantly Christian communities suggest that religion and ideology play a key part, as emphasised in the Bishop of Truro’s excellent report,” noting that Christian communities are specifically targeted.

Citing “reliable sources”, she said that “more than 5,000 Christians have been killed since 2015, with 1,000 murdered in 2019”.

She stressed that the Global Terrorism Index in 2016 and 2017 named Fulani militia as the fourth deadliest terrorist group in the world, with only Boko Haram, ISIS and al-Shabaab being accounted deadlier.

“During many of the attacks,” she said, “the Fulani are reported by survivors to have shouted “Allahu Akbar”, “Destroy the infidels” and “Wipe out the infidels”.”

Find below deliberations at the UK House of Lords and Baroness Cox’s speech on Nigeria:

QUEEN’S SPEECH DEBATE

7 JANUARY 2020

My Lords, Her Majesty’s gracious Speech affirmed the UK’s commitment to “work closely with international partners to help solve the most complex international security issues and promote peace and security globally.”​

That was a very important commitment, yet I deeply regret that I have personally witnessed how, in Nigeria, British foreign policy has caused more harm than good.

In recent years, many thousands of civilians have been killed in attacks led by Islamist Boko Haram and Fulani militias in northern and central-belt states. The underlying drivers of conflict are complex, yet targeted violence and the perpetration of atrocities against predominantly Christian communities suggest that religion and ideology play a key part, as emphasised in the Bishop of Truro’s excellent report.

Christian communities are specifically targeted. Reliable sources claim that more than 5,000 Christians have been killed since 2015, with 1,000 murdered in 2019. The Global Terrorism Index in 2016 and 2017 named Fulani militia as the fourth deadliest terrorist group in the world, with only Boko Haram, ISIS and al-Shabaab being accounted deadlier. During many of the attacks, the Fulani are reported by survivors to have shouted “Allahu Akbar”, “Destroy the infidels” and “Wipe out the infidels.”

The attacks have, on occasion, led to retaliatory violence, as communities can no longer rely on the Government for protection or justice. However, we have seen no evidence of comparability of scale or equivalence of atrocities. During a recent visit to Nigeria, in November, I met survivors of five villages attacked by Fulani militia, forcing an estimated 12,000 people to flee.

In two of the villages, 116 people were killed. It was possible to meet only a limited number of survivors, but the consistency of their experiences is deeply disturbing and consistent with evidence from numerous previous visits. These are disturbing statistics, but behind every statistic is a human horror story. I give just a few examples of the suffering of the people: sadly, I could massively multiply them.

Antonia from Karamai said: “I saw my brother-in-law’s body on the ground, hacked to pieces by a machete. Our home was destroyed. The hospital was burnt. They tried to burn the roof of the church by piling up the chairs, like a bonfire.”

A pastor from Madugrui said: “Every day we carry new corpses to the cemetery. They kill farmers. They destroy our homes and churches. They kidnap and rape women.”

Ta’aziya from Karamai said: “We could see bullets whizzing. Everything was destroyed. In our whole village, only two of the homes were not burnt. Almost 50 people were killed.”

As a final example, it was my agonising privilege to weep with and to hug Veronica, from Dogon Noma, who told me: “They attacked me with a machete twice, once to the neck and once to my hand.” I saw the scars.

She said: “They said they wanted my daughter to suck my finger. So they amputated my forefinger and I passed out. When I woke up, I saw my six year-old daughter on the ground, dead, with my chopped finger in her mouth.”

More recently, 11 Nigerian Christians were killed by Islamic State terrorists in a brutal Christmas Day attack. The beheadings of the 11 Christians, shown in a video by Islamic State in West Africa, ISWAP, were gruesome so-called revenge for the killing in Syria of ​Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

In addition to the deep concerns caused by the brutal killings, there are the disturbing implications of the allegiance pledged by Abu Musab al-Barnawi, the sect leader of Boko Haram, to ISWAP, suggesting that ISIS has consolidated its hold on a new African frontier. This indicates a more internationally organised terrorist group bringing together Islamist militants to achieve their objectives in West Africa.

While the underlying causes of violence are complex, the asymmetry and escalation of attacks by well-armed Fulani militia upon these predominately Christian communities are stark and must be acknowledged.

Such atrocities cannot be attributed just to desertification, climate change or competition for resources, as our Government have claimed. The situation fulfils the criteria of genocide as recognised by the Nigerian National Assembly and must be so recognised, with the international community’s duty to respond accordingly.

Given the Nigerian Government’s apparent complicity in the persecution of Christians, there is a strong argument that international aid should be curtailed until Abuja fulfils its duties to protect and provide for its own citizens of any belief who are subjected to such horrendous suffering, and to end the impunity with which the perpetrators of atrocities perpetuate their horrendous crimes.

Can the Minister give us an assurance that our Government will fulfil the commitment made in the gracious Speech and pressure the Nigerian Government to protect and provide for all their people, bringing desperately needed protection and help to over 2 million citizens now suffering displacement, the many thousands mourning the deaths of loved ones and all those living in acute danger of terrorist attacks?

They have been pleading for help and protection, which have not been forthcoming so far. I passionately hope that the Government’s commitment will result in these pleas for help no longer being in vain.

Source: https://elombah.com/british-house-of-lords-deliberates-on-nigerian-crisis/amp/

1 Like

Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by udoakwa(m): 1:01am On Jan 09, 2020
It's gonna get interesting
Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by engrsyer(m): 2:46am On Jan 09, 2020
The British are part of the problems we Nigerians are facing. The earlier they join forces with the Nigerian Govt and bring down everyone threatening the peace of Nigerian Citizens to her kneels the better for all of us

1 Like

Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by Tumbulum: 2:58am On Jan 09, 2020
Good to know that the attention of the international community is now being focused on Nigeria.
Expect economic sanctions from the western world in 2020.
Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by Successdude(m): 3:02am On Jan 09, 2020
And they (Nigerians) will start rejoicing that another nation is deliberating their matter ....

Seems Africans eyes never open yet dey na Dem go solve their problem bah ?

The more you wait for another to bring you solution to your problem it remains with you atleast pending when the so called help arrives ......

Africans going this way, you never gonna live like fellow humans having a voice
Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by bastardmod: 3:18am On Jan 09, 2020
The satanic jihadist is deaf.

Only maximum pressure will push him hard enough

6 Likes

Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by XANDERBOY85: 4:17am On Jan 09, 2020
Successdude:
And they (Nigerians) will start rejoicing that another nation is deliberating their matter ....

Seems Africans eyes never open yet dey na Dem go solve their problem bah ?

The more you wait for another to bring you solution to your problem it remains with you atleast pending when the so called help arrives ......

Africans going this way, you never gonna live like fellow humans having a voice

Can't speak for other African countries, but i know Nigeria, that loves to bury its head in the sand and pretend not to notice the elephant in the room, needs outside help to sort itself out!

When a Nigerian, group or region attempts to confront our oppressors, the crafty, conniving and devilish elite gaining from the status-quo will ethnicise the effort and daft Nigerians that are too docile or cowardly to do anything themselves will join them in baying for blood!

11 Likes

Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by Bringback9ja: 4:38am On Jan 09, 2020
Light is coming

I foresee referendum.

Buhari summoned 6 southwest governors over new security outfits.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by Nobody: 5:07am On Jan 09, 2020
Trump has called him lifeless and ostracized him.

Now, the UK his only reliable Western ally don dey put mouth for him matter.

And you say the hand of God is not on Nigeria?

I see our vegetable at the Hague after 2023.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by NimrodEndOfDays(m): 5:41am On Jan 09, 2020
Nigeria as a country was destined to fail from the onset. Has there been a recorded scenario were a slave is given the opportunity to surpass his master? The merging of the South and North was done to make the stealing of our resources much easier. If the WEST had us in mind,they would have made sure the likes of Nnamdi Azikiwe or Obafemi Awolowo would have emerged the leaders of this God forsaken country. But no, they had to stylishly create a situation were the North had the upper hand both in geography and other wise so that the less exposed and less educated people of the who had their own agenda of ethnic supremacy and religious fundamentals to be the future leaders of this man man contraption. The British and the USA are complicit in the deaths of both the citizens of the Eastern Region and the people of the middle belt just because they want to be siphoning OIL from the former Eastern region. Nigeria will never know peace until the right thing would be done either an outright split or restructuring in which both and even not doing anything will still lead to a spilt of this false country. We as Africans should begin to show a sense of pride in our different ethnic nationality and become that which God has created us to be. Nation's who has a mandate to be whatever they choose to be. I don't speak for another but for my own group. We are matured enough to take our destinies In our hands. If others want to be under the Fulanis well it's their choice but we must be our own identity and not what the white man chooses for us to be.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by Sirjamo: 6:05am On Jan 09, 2020
Zamfara, Sokoto, Katsina and many other Muslim states have suffered more casualties from Fulani Bandits attacks than the Christians, their own cases does not deserve to be deliberated upon because their lives does not matter to the Christians and Zionists. Hypocrisy of the highest order!!!
Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by itsme01: 6:50am On Jan 09, 2020
cool

Because of BREXIT this ones are looking towards re annexing Nigeria again.. ko le werk, where were they since? abi was there not enough cries, instead they denied peoples asylum attempt and Visa

irresposible Nigerians would never take responsibility for their life, they would blame Lord Lugard, blame UK, blame Muslim but never stop thinking like monkeys and find a lasting solution

1 Like

Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by VahinHassan: 6:52am On Jan 09, 2020
[s]
itsme01:
cool

Because of BREXIT this ones are looking towards re annexing Nigeria again.. ko le werk, where were they since? abi was there not enough cries, instead they denied peoples asylum attempt and Visa

[/s]

1 Like

Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by JonDon12: 6:57am On Jan 09, 2020
Awol1:
Trump has called him lifeless and ostracized him.

Now, the UK his only reliable Western ally don dey put mouth for him matter.

And you say the hand of God is not on Nigeria?

I see our vegetable at the Hague after 2023.

And Tinubu too

1 Like

Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by Racoon(m): 7:00am On Jan 09, 2020
While the underlying causes of violence are complex, the asymmetry and escalation of attacks by well-armed Fulani militia upon these predominately Christian communities are stark and must be acknowledged.

Such atrocities cant be attributed just to desertification, climate change or competition for resources, as our Government have claimed. The situation fulfils the criteria of genocide as recognised by the Nigerian National Assembly and must be so recognised, with the international community’s duty to respond accordingly.
Well said! However, it is a known fact that the global trend in Islamic terrorism/jihad have taken a more deadlier dimension in the 21st century world, Britain must acknowledge that it's the foundational cause of the Nigerian side of this global problem with the forceful amalgamation of the northern & southern Nigeria in 1914 by Lord Lugard.

1 Like

Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by Biafrarep(m): 7:08am On Jan 09, 2020
Is anyone still in doubt that the world is finally turning their attention to the crimes against humanity that have been happening in Nigeria? Thank God for the advancements made in communication, now all the evil being committed in Nigeria is all over the internet and social media so there wouldn't be any hiding place for the perpetrators and sponsors.

It has become so bad that moderate and influencial Muslims are raising alarm across the world.

Lol, they thought they could use voilence to cow everyone in Nigeria but it will never happen.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by Racoon(m): 7:08am On Jan 09, 2020
Biafrarep:
Is anyone still in doubt that the world is finally turning their attention to the crimes against humanity that have been happening in Nigeria? Thank God for the advancements made in communication, now all the evil being committed in Nigeria is all over the internet and social media so there wouldn't be any hiding place for the perpetrators and sponsors.

It has become so bad that moderate and influencial Muslims are raising alarm across the world.

Lol, they thought they could use voilence to cow everyone in Nigeria but it will never happen.
Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by sweetonugbu: 7:11am On Jan 09, 2020
Leg crossed
Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by rusher14: 7:18am On Jan 09, 2020
The National Assembly of Nigeria should deliberate on Knife Crime in UK and how it affects the black communities.
Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by Biafrarep(m): 7:22am On Jan 09, 2020
itsme01:
cool

I'm not surprised, after all you are yoruba Muslim. SMH!

2 Likes

Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by Biafrarep(m): 7:25am On Jan 09, 2020
itsme01:
cool

I'm not surprised, after all you are yoruba Muslim.
Even when other reasonable and moderate Muslims with love for humanity are condemning the atrocities going on in Nigeria, your likes are busy supporting it.
SHAME ON YOU!!

1 Like

Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by itsme01: 7:30am On Jan 09, 2020
Biafrarep:

I'm not surprised, after all you are yoruba Muslim.
Even when other reasonable and moderate Muslims with love for humanity are condemning the atrocities going on in Nigeria, your likes are busy supporting it.
SHAME ON YOU!!

Chuckudi stop embarrasing yourself naa... Ibos are human with hands and leg like fulani, Ibos have a population of almost 40 million, fulani are just 15 million, christians are 98 million muslim are 100 million why have you people resorted to acting like the victims, and your leaders acting like coward (Ojuckwu , Kanu) dont you have balls are you guys weakling, is British your lord and personal savior? this is shamefull honestly

Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by Habakus: 7:33am On Jan 09, 2020
Sirjamo:
Zamfara, Sokoto, Katsina and many other Muslim states have suffered more casualties from Fulani Bandits attacks than the Christians, their own cases does not deserve to be deliberated upon because their lives does not matter to the Christians and Zionists. Hypocrisy of the highest order!!!
This is the most unreasonable comment so far this year.
Keep it up bro,you might just win the trophy at the end of the year.
Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by alienvirus: 7:36am On Jan 09, 2020
I still wonder why we are still answerable to Britain. Can't Nigerians decide their affairs without foreign intervention? Can any Nigerian think about how to colonize Britain and let us decide their matters? Then we can call it post-neocolonialism.

Food for thought.
Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by VahinHassan: 7:40am On Jan 09, 2020
[s]
itsme01:

Chuckudi stop embarrasing yourself naa... Ibos are human with hands and leg like fulani, Ibos have a population of almost 40 million, fulani are just 15 million, christians are 98 million muslim are 100 million why have you people resorted to acting like the victims, and your leaders acting like coward (Ojuckwu , Kanu) dont you have balls are you guys weakling, is British your lord and personal savior? this is shamefull honestly

[/s]
Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by Aboki99(m): 7:47am On Jan 09, 2020
Gen TY and his petro dollars sowing the seed of division, home and away in order to settle personal scores. He can spend all he has but nothing can alter the fact that All Nigerians, regardless of tongue or faith, are the collective victims of BH bombs and bullets. In fact by politicizing the BH issue along religious lines, he is not only empowering the BH vermins but also further endangering the lives of the very people he falsely and deceitfully purports to protect! And this one is coming from an army General! To be honest, I have serious doubts about the integrity of the processes people like TY and his generation became army Generals. Their manners and mannerism does not befit even that of an army recruit or a private soldier. If such are the Generals, God save Nigerians! �
Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by kettykings: 7:47am On Jan 09, 2020
Referendum is loading. How and when is what I don't know .
A parliamentariy committee is likely to be set up to look into the issue, their work will make them do a fact finding work on Nigeria since independence and ask some few Nigerians from different parts of the country what they think is the way forward. As a result of differing opinions from different parts of the country with some people preferring to stay in Nigeria and others preferences to opt out . They committee will report back to the main house on the different reports from the different states and regions.
The house will have no other option than to push for a referendum or plebiscite.

And the result is is as good as we all know

1 Like

Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by BlackSeptember: 7:53am On Jan 09, 2020
Buhari disgrace is nigh. The works of The Y Danjuma, Obj are bearing fruits.

International politics requires lobbying by the elites and we can see that this Apc jihadist government is about to fail
Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by BlackSeptember: 7:55am On Jan 09, 2020
Aboki99:
Gen TY and his petro dollars sowing the seed of division, home and away in order to settle personal scores. He can spend all he has but nothing can alter the fact that All Nigerians, regardless of tongue or faith, are the collective victims of BH bombs and bullets. In fact by politicizing the BH issue along religious lines, he is not only empowering the BH vermins but also further endangering the lives of the very people he falsely and deceitfully purports to protect! And this one is coming from an army General! To be honest, I have serious doubts about the integrity of the processes people like TY and his generation became army Generals. Their manners and mannerism does not befit even that of an army recruit or a private soldier. If such are the Generals, God save Nigerians! �
Finally you are doubting the credentials of General Buhari according to your last paragraph. The Northern Generals never deserved the positions they are occupying
Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by Biafrannuke: 8:39am On Jan 09, 2020
It's over for the zoo
Re: British House Of Lords Deliberates On Nigerian Crisis by Successdude(m): 5:24pm On Jan 09, 2020
XANDERBOY85:

Can't speak for other African countries, but i know Nigeria, that loves to bury its head in the sand and pretend not to notice the elephant in the room, needs outside help to sort itself out!

When a Nigerian, group or region attempts to confront our oppressors, the crafty, conniving and devilish elite gaining from the status-quo will ethnicise the effort and daft Nigerians that are too docile or cowardly to do anything themselves will join them in baying for blood!

However my take is that Africa and Nigeria especially, comes alive to being the game changer of her own affairs....

How long shall we be 'followers' and never taking any enviable stance in the affairs of the world ..

Let's take the issue that came up between US and Iran. Believe you me, those two nation's took the Limelight and truly it isn't solely because it is a 'war' but we see nation's that have a voice.

In this world, as it is now, no single African nation can cough and the world catch cold ... But the likes of say, USA, Russia, France etc when they do everyone knows the implication ...

Right from when I was a child our, it has been that these 'external' nation's seem to be our PROPHETS (so to say) and as such tend to appear like if they don't show, we won't get it right ... And it is not in anyway far from someone being useless (as in not useful) with regards to footing the bills of our challenges ..

No man or race or people are born more gifted than the other - the excelling only used their heads ...

High time we learned and began USING OUR HEAD.

PS : Since this Iran / USA issue, I find when I'm on nairaland, I open only the threads relating to that and you need to understand how those that concerns Nigeria now seemed rediculously imbecilic - no inspiration, no interesting thing, no bright thinking - only APC, PDP, Obaseki and Oshionmhole, some states accepting to pay minimum wage (that isn't even up to 100 dollars), and the most stupid being some people in far here protesting over Iran/USA issue wey no concern is. How these things wan take inspire person ?

We really got to come alive (not wake); waking if for the asleep but these kind isn't being asleep but BEING DEAD.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Before You Compare Amotekun With Hisbah... / Peter Obi And Akinwumi Adesina For President & Vice. / "APC Has Indirectly Featured Tinubu For 2023"-Secondus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.