Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,664 members, 7,816,704 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

Name Change Issue. Please Advise. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Name Change Issue. Please Advise. (349 Views)

Genotype Issue. Please Be Rational ( I Am Not A Religious Person) / How Do I Handle This Issue (please Read)!!! / How To Do A Total Name Change (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Name Change Issue. Please Advise. by Successful01(m): 9:01am On Jan 09, 2020
Hi nairalanders, please I need your advise on this.
I registered my daughter's name on her birth certificate as Mary Chidinma Chinedu -Uba and my wife registered her voters card as Constance Morenike Chinedu-Uba as my name is Chinedu Uba. I want to do and official change of name for my wife but we have decided to use only Chinedu as the surname and for my children.
Do you think this will cause issues for my daughter since the "Uba" appears in her birth certificate and my wife since "Uba" appears on her voters card? She plans to use the voters card to process her banking issues.

Please note that Uba is my dad's name as we mostly bear our direct dad's name in my place.

Reason for changing the name is that we feel it is too long and my start causing confusion in the future.

@ Lalastica , please push to front page.
Re: Name Change Issue. Please Advise. by thorpido(m): 9:16am On Jan 09, 2020
Have you spoken to your dad or family about your decision to change the compound name?It's your decision but let your family be aware.
What you need to do is swear an affidavit and do a change of name in the newspaper.
'My family formerly known as Chidi Chinedu-Uba,Constance Morenike Chinedu-Uba and Mary Chidinma Chinedu-Uba now wish to be know as Chidi Chinedu, Constance Morenike Chinedu and Mary Chidinma Chinedu.'
That settles it.
Re: Name Change Issue. Please Advise. by Successful01(m): 9:25am On Jan 09, 2020
thorpido:
Have you spoken to your dad or family about your decision to change the compound name?It's your decision but let your family be aware.
What you need to do is swear an affidavit and do a change of name in the newspaper.
'My family formerly known as Chidi Chinedu-Uba,Constance Morenike Chinedu-Uba and Mary Chidinma Chinedu-Uba now wish to be know as Chidi Chinedu, Constance Morenike Chinedu and Mary Chidinma Chinedu.'
That settles it.

Thank you thorpido. Actually Uba is my father's name and not the compound name.

Do I need to swear an affidavit and do a change of name on the newspaper too for my daughter since her's is just the birth certificate?

I plan to do a change of name on the news paper for my wife.
Re: Name Change Issue. Please Advise. by thorpido(m): 9:35am On Jan 09, 2020
Successful01:

Thank you thorpido. Actually Uba is my father's name and not the compound name.

Do I need to swear an affidavit and do a change of name on the newspaper too for my daughter since her's is just the birth certificate?

I plan to do a change of name on the news paper for my wife.
You will do a change of name for everyone including you if you have been using Chinedu-Uba.It is the same column in the paper,you will just put the name of everyone in the write-up.
You don't have to worry about what is on your daughter's birth certificate.The newspaper takes care of it going forward.
Re: Name Change Issue. Please Advise. by Mille: 9:43am On Jan 09, 2020
thorpido:
You will do a change of name for everyone including you if you have been using Chinedu-Uba.It is the same column in the paper,you will just put the name of everyone in the write-up.
You don't have to worry about what is on your daughter's birth certificate.The newspaper takes care of it going forward.

This is not entirely true.

You still need an affidavit for your daughter's name. I have the same Issue in that the middle name on my birth certificate is different from my middle name. Everywhere I tender the birth certificate, I have to accompany it with the affidavit.
Re: Name Change Issue. Please Advise. by faithfull18(f): 9:56am On Jan 09, 2020
Changing names is quite complicated than people think.

You will need to do an affidavit and newspaper publication.

For your daughter, if you can get a new birth certificate fine, if not the first option applies.

(1) (Reply)

Sold / Your Spouse, The Ideal Next Of Kin, Says Psychologist [True or False] / Lockdown: What Are The Prices Of Foodstuffs In Your State?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.