Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,787 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

What Defines An "mog"? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Defines An "mog"? (5079 Views)

SCOAN Building Collapse: What Nigerians Would Have Been Saying If MOG Died In It / How To Catch Fake Mog's Who Speak In Tongues (8+2) / Thank You Oyedepo And Other Mog's For Tithes! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Defines An "mog"? by ogajim(m): 12:25am On Dec 05, 2010
I have been thinking about this topic lately with the way most of our "brainwashed" brethren carry on about their particular "MOG" and "touch not my anointed" (forgetting that every true Christian is indeed an "MOG" and equally anointed), so here are two viewpoints.
Let's see what your take is and why, be blessed.

1. man of God---this applies to any man who is truly saved, men truly dedicated to God, godly, humble & saintly men, etc. A sub-meaning of this term could be applied to a prophet or a clergyman (who has totally committed his life to working strictly for God). I feel that if one goes beyond these meanings of that of a true prophet or “godly clergyman”, we then fall into the 2nd main meaning, which is:

2. Man of God---this is the definition the COG holds, and it is a definition that can escalate to cultic rather quickly. This definition sees the supposed “Man of God” as being a prophet, and that he has special God-given discernment and anointing, knows the “mind of God”, etc. His authority is not to be questioned, and his interpretation of scripture is infallible. Such “power” given by the people to one man, and/or taken by the man becomes dangerously cultic--but yet, this is how COG members see their “man of God”, with those same idolized ministers cementing this authority for themselves by continued pressure and threats from the pulpit. COG members often think they are honouring a “man of God”, when it is actually a “Man of God” they are referring to. They are unable to see the distinctions because of the idolatrous mind-set and the brainwashed mess they are entangled in.
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by nuclearboy(m): 6:37am On Dec 05, 2010
what is "COG"?
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by e36991: 6:32pm On Dec 05, 2010
nuclearboy:

what is "COG"?

@Nuke

Quite a few where Ogajim is

Due to time zone difference Ogajim cant respond promptly

but guess whose come to the rescue . . .

COG is an acronym for Church of God

It is a name used by quite a few but mostly unrelated Christian denominational bodies in the States.

They are usually of a pentecostal, adventist, baptist etc nature or background . . .

Had a few of Herbert W. Armstrong's books

- Back in the day, I just spit out the bones when I ate his chicken
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by InesQor(m): 6:45pm On Dec 05, 2010
Lol an MOG in contemporary terms is he who demands worship and authority reserved for God and teaches his minions that the more they give that to him and also increase the cashflow in his business, the more their prayers are answered, and soon enough they just might get to his own level on the food chain/pyramid if they are faithful enough in defending the atrocities in the overall scam.
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by KunleOshob(m): 6:50pm On Dec 05, 2010
^^^
Nairaland has really changed Inesqor grin
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by InesQor(m): 6:54pm On Dec 05, 2010
@kunleoshob
LOL! You are only partially correct. Nairaland changed mavenbox. InesQor has always been like this <the rest has been edited out>
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by nuclearboy(m): 8:09pm On Dec 05, 2010
@e36991:

I actually knew "COG" -? Church of God.

Just wondered at the choice of words and asked clarification because it was Ogajim writing and I know his marbles are well rounded.

@Ogajim:

Since when did the true "COG" believe "a “Man of God” as being a prophet that has special God-given discernment and anointing, knows the “mind of God”, etc OR that his authority is not to be questioned, and his interpretation of scripture is infallible".

I would call that the "Worshippers of Pastors" (WOP). Wish I could find a way to make that say "WIMPS".
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by free123: 10:45pm On Dec 05, 2010
Mordenized MOG - idolizes oneself, preaches prosperity in the highest order, tells his members that they do not operate in the same level with other xtians, interpret the scriptures to suit his worldly desires, enticing his members to believing that evry word from his mouth is infallible, pulling crowd evrywhere with sweet talks, seeks materialism - best of homes, private jet, SUVs, chains of businesses etc, doesnt preach against sin which is the cause of all our problems today.
Most of the pastors we have today are mordenized MOGs
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by eyzhvntsn: 2:11am On Dec 06, 2010
Today's MOG,

defined as dangerous, self-indulgent, greedy, egotistical, characterless, prideful, wicked and powerless empty barrels making the most noise, tyrants. Sowers to the flesh who evidently reap corruption.

Why? well, thats what we see breeding all over.  cry

True MOG,

defined as quietly and confidently strong in character, bearing the fruit of the life of Christ (love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control), contented. True blessings to humanity. Sowers to the spirit who evidently reap everlasting life.

Why? it only makes sense.
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by Joagbaje(m): 7:21am On Dec 06, 2010
@ogajim
ogajim:

I have been thinking about this topic lately with the way most of our "brainwashed" brethren carry on about their particular "MOG" and "touch not my anointed"

That is a scriptural utterance.

(forgetting that every true Christian is indeed an "MOG" and equally anointed),

Every one is not equally anointed. There are different kinds of anointings. There are different definitions as well. There is anointing which refers to election. "chosen" there's anointing which refers to empowerment. There is anointing which refers to an office. There is anointing which refers to Grace upon a person. So you don't use the word "anointing" in generic terms when you are dealing with specifics.

A man of God is a man on errand from God. A man sent from God. A man who has embraced the call of God. So in this regard. The definition hasn't changed. It has to do with a call. An office.
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by InesQor(m): 8:05am On Dec 06, 2010
@Joagbaje:

Is that so? Scripturally support your assertions above, i.e.

1. Everyone in Christ is not equally anointed.
2. There are different types of anointing. You obviously dont mean different purposes of anointing, because the next part of your post says there are different definitions (wherein you then described purposes of anointing).

Im waiting please. You know im very familiar with all these teachings.
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by Joagbaje(m): 8:16am On Dec 06, 2010
InesQor:

@Joagbaje:

2. There are different types of anointing. You obviously dont mean different purposes of anointing, because the next part of your post says there are different definitions (wherein you then described purposes of anointing).

I will respond shortly.
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by InesQor(m): 8:36am On Dec 06, 2010
Joagbaje:

I will respond shortly.

Yeah I can bet I know what's coming next. Maybe you have gone to check the documentations, cos I have done same in denial of the Truth in the past. I advise you to check the Bible instead. But I am waiting either way.
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by nuclearboy(m): 8:58am On Dec 06, 2010
^^

Why waste time spending it waiting on such when you know the "vacuity"? You can find out more on the dude easy and twill inform that his scam is of such a level that he likely won't drop it.

Sad to see the gates of hell coming against Christ's Church from inside. BUT it confirms He knew why He warned.

Send me a mail (lost your addr) and I'll put together the stuff you wanted on the species I still keep
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by MyJoe: 1:07pm On Dec 06, 2010
InesQor:

@kunleoshob
LOL! You are only partially correct. Nairaland changed mavenbox. InesQor has always been like this <the rest has been edited out>
Right. As a people watcher, I personally find the transformation from mavebbox to InesQor unbelievable. I would guess it takes a highly developed spirit or intellect or both to achieve this feat. Not that mavenbox's spirit has not been sighted hovering around a post occasionally but that is only human and it was always quickly reined in. Bravo!

nuclearboy:

I would call that the "Worshippers of Pastors" (WOP). Wish I could find a way to make that say "WIMPS".
Try Worshipers Initiated by Money Pastorswink
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by nuclearboy(m): 1:30pm On Dec 06, 2010
^^ Danke! Brilliant as usual .

EDITED - Or "Worshippers Imitating Money-mad Pastors".

Any which way, the 'glory' is MyJoes
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by ogajim(m): 2:14pm On Dec 06, 2010
LOL@ "WIMPS" and "WOPs"

It is clear now why Jesus Christ warned us against FALSE teachers, pastor Joagbaje will be back I am sure with some "ammo"

Jesus Christ himself called us his friend and gave his LIFE so as to give us a second birth, warned us not to call anyone teacher because our teacher (ULTIMATE) resides in Heaven, to be wise as serpents and gentle as doves, but Joagbaje is about to take us to "school" on this and I just can't wait.

It is very sad to see folks following their "mog" instead of Christ.
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by Enigma(m): 2:43pm On Dec 06, 2010
Question: to whom does the passage below apply ---- every Christian or just some "specially anointed" ones?

2 Timothy 3:16-17
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by Joagbaje(m): 2:58pm On Dec 06, 2010
@ InesQor
InesQor:

Yeah I can bet I know what's coming next. Maybe you have gone to check the documentations,

Which documentation are you referring to? 

cos I have done same in denial of the Truth in the past.
I think it's now you seem to be denying truth o. If you once knew it.
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by Joagbaje(m): 3:04pm On Dec 06, 2010
@ InesQor

InesQor:

@Joagbaje:

There have been several abuse of the word "anointed" here. To some, it seems it's an abomination to use the for for a man. Because christ is "the anointed" as far as they are concerned.

I don't want to go into all the Greek and heberew word for "anointed " I just want to give a simple explanation. There are several use of the word anointed in the bible.

It makes reference to an office. Oiling,Empowerment, choice or being chosen , being called, and being consecrated etc. 

OFFICE:.  The use of the word "anointed " with regard to christ mean. The chosen one (for Israel as messiah). It is used in this sense for Kings and priests also who function in an office.

EMPOWERMENT. This is ability of God for a specific purpose. E.g gifts.  For example you have a special anointing for healing, evangelism . A good example is bezaleel, that God anointed with skills to build the tabernacle.

Exodus 31:3
3 And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship

There is one holy spirit but he has different anointings, graces or abilities .

CONSECRATION. I think this is where  you mixed it up. In my opinion. You are right that we are all anointed or Consecrated to God. But we are not all called into  office and we are not all functioning in the same ability. This was the same mistakes made by

Numbers 16:1-4
1 Now Korah, the son of Izhar, the son of Kohath, the son of Levi, and Dathan and Abiram, the sons of Eliab, and On, the son of Peleth, sons of Reuben, took[ men .2 And they rose up before Moses, with certain of the children of Israel, two hundred and fifty princes of the assembly, famous in the congregation, men of renown: 3 And they gathered themselves together against Moses and against Aaron, and said unto them,Ye take] too much upon you, seeing all the congregation[ are] holy, every one of them, and the Lord[ is] among them: wherefore then lift ye up yourselves above the congregation of the LORD? 4 And when Moses heard[ it], he fell upon his face:

Does that highlighted part sound familiar to you?. It is the same voice of rebellion today. They look down on spiritual leadership and claim " we are all thesame."

Of a truth they were all consecrated,holy. God had told them so. But he killed them for that action and rebellion to leadership. There is a special consecration for a leader. That anointing should be respected. Your respect for a man of God (MOG) is not by his age or his look but because of the anointing upon that office. We are all anointed but there are people anointed over us. We must reverence them because of the office.  

Hebrews 13:17 KJV
17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that[ is] unprofitable for you.

Hebrews 13:17. MESSAGE TRANSLATION
17 Be responsive to your pastoral leaders. Listen to their counsel. They are alert to the condition of your lives and work under the strict supervision of God. Contribute to the joy of their leadership, not its drudgery. Why would you want to make things harder for them? 
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by nuclearboy(m): 4:23pm On Dec 06, 2010
There is one Holy Spirit but He has different Graces, anointings and abilities?

Am I the only one who read that? So the HS operating in London knows how to play the guitar more than the Scotland version and the Naija one is anointed for making money and the Russian one knows how to drink tea more? Or what is this rubbish? If they are the same, they are the same everywhere. By the way, the Holy Spirit is God. Sins against Him too are particularly dangerous

Calling into office and in the same ability? YES, this is true. Not everyone is called into the only office you believe matters - pastoring! Some are called to minister love, others finance, yet others knowledge and wisdom. The pastor is not more important than any of the above just as he is not more important than prophets, evangelists or Apostles.

It is one "man"s body - Christ's and you will have to explain scripturally and logically how Christ's hand is more important than His heart or legs or whatever. Which is where you miss it - the fact that some members are hidden and not on display always does not make them less important. Interestingly, the Bible itself says this.
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by InesQor(m): 7:18pm On Dec 06, 2010
MyJoe:

Right. As a people watcher, I personally find the transformation from mavebbox to InesQor unbelievable. I would guess it takes a highly developed spirit or intellect or both to achieve this feat. Not that mavenbox's spirit has not been sighted hovering around a post occasionally but that is only human and it was always quickly reined in. Bravo!
Hmm thanks bro. Honestly I only saw a flicker of the Light, but you give me too much credit: I don't have many things figured out yet but I know where I have been, and lies I have believed and how God has shown them all up for their falsehood.

When one sees the truth, one should learn to conform to it. Unfortunately, many people don't want truth unless it feels comfortable for them.

See what Martha Norman said in her 1947 play "Night Mother". It could be a lesson for many of us here:-
“People do think that if they avoid the truth, it might change to something better before they have to hear it.”
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by InesQor(m): 7:21pm On Dec 06, 2010
Enigma:

Question: to whom does the passage below apply ---- every Christian or just some "specially anointed" ones?

2 Timothy 3:16-17

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works

God bless you, Enigma. Pithy, weighty.

It applies to EVERY CHRISTIAN, across board.

Can someone who has a contrary opinion to mine please answer Enigma?
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by InesQor(m): 7:24pm On Dec 06, 2010
Joagbaje:

@ InesQor
Which documentation are you referring to? 
Which documentation?
By documentation I mean the very same thing as is meant in English: "technical manuals describing the operation and use of a program", "documents designed to corroborate theories". We had ours in the church then, names withheld. I have seen people quoting Rhapsodies of Realities, others quoting Open Heavens, etc. THAT is what I meant by documentation.
When I said you would refer to documentation, I meant you would return to say the same things that we know have been heavily sourced from some teachings or the other in your school of thought.

PEOPLE WITH THEIR SUBSERVIENT HIVE-MINDS!
Just take a break and study from your Bible by yourself and check to see if the Bible distinguishes Anointings in the NEW testament Believer.

Joagbaje:

I think it's now you seem to be denying truth o. If you once knew it.
I find this statement of yours interesting. But I will let it be.
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by InesQor(m): 7:43pm On Dec 06, 2010
Joagbaje:

@ InesQor

There have been several abuse of the word "anointed" here. To some, it seems it's an abomination to use the for for a man. Because christ is "the anointed" as far as they are concerned.

I don't want to go into all the Greek and heberew word for "anointed " I just want to give a simple explanation. There are several use of the word anointed in the bible.

It makes reference to an office. Oiling,Empowerment, choice or being chosen , being called, and being consecrated etc. 

OFFICE:.  The use of the word "anointed " with regard to christ mean. The chosen one (for Israel as messiah). It is used in this sense for Kings and priests also who function in an office.

EMPOWERMENT. This is ability of God for a specific purpose. E.g gifts.  For example you have a special anointing for healing, evangelism . A good example is bezaleel, that God anointed with skills to build the tabernacle.

Exodus 31:3
3 And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship

Mister bros, all of this does not answer my question. We all know what it means to be anointed, and nobody ever said it is reserved for Christ alone like you have asserted above.

I ALREADY said here THAT
You obviously dont mean different purposes of anointing, because the next part of your post says there are different definitions (wherein you then described purposes of anointing).
so can somebody on this blessed forum please tell me why he is defining the purposes and offices of anointing?

See:

All believers are anointed Men of God, like all fish can swim.

Let me help you and repeat my questions. S[b]how us from the Bible that:[/b]
InesQor:

Joagbaje:

There is one holy spirit but he has different anointings, graces or abilities .
Mister bros, where is the scriptural proof for this?  undecided undecided undecided  shocked shocked shocked shocked

Joagbaje:

CONSECRATION. I think this is where  you mixed it up. In my opinion. You are right that we are all anointed or Consecrated to God. But we are not all called into  office and we are not all functioning in the same ability. This was the same mistakes made by

Numbers 16:1-4
1 Now Korah, the son of Izhar, the son of Kohath, the son of Levi, and Dathan and Abiram, the sons of Eliab, and On, the son of Peleth, sons of Reuben, took[ men .2 And they rose up before Moses, with certain of the children of Israel, two hundred and fifty princes of the assembly, famous in the congregation, men of renown: 3 And they gathered themselves together against Moses and against Aaron, and said unto them,Ye take] too much upon you, seeing all the congregation[ are] holy, every one of them, and the Lord[ is] among them: wherefore then lift ye up yourselves above the congregation of the LORD? 4 And when Moses heard[ it], he fell upon his face:

Does that highlighted part sound familiar to you?. It is the same voice of rebellion today. They look down on spiritual leadership and claim " we are all thesame."

Of a truth they were all consecrated,holy. God had told them so. But he killed them for that action and rebellion to leadership. There is a special consecration for a leader. That anointing should be respected. Your respect for a man of God (MOG) is not by his age or his look but because of the anointing upon that office. We are all anointed but there are people anointed over us. We must reverence them because of the office.
In case you didn't see it, let me highlight question 1 again, emphasizing what you seem to have missed in your dribble.

I asked, show us where "[size=18pt]Everyone in Christ[/size] is not equally anointed."

And you return and quote Korah's fall? What? Are you for real, Joagbaje? Is this the same dispensation as then? Besides, is it NOT known that this was rebellion, which is an entirely different case?

Find another one abeg. Im waiting.

Joagbaje:

Hebrews 13:17 KJV
17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that[ is] unprofitable for you.

Hebrews 13:17. MESSAGE TRANSLATION
17 Be responsive to your pastoral leaders. Listen to their counsel. They are alert to the condition of your lives and work under the strict supervision of God. Contribute to the joy of their leadership, not its drudgery. Why would you want to make things harder for them? 
This is a matter of obedience. It is a moot point to argue. If I choose to go and sit under anyone's pastoral leadersip, then the person is responsible to God for my sake pastorally. Then they are as responsible for me as I am responsible to someone else in the flock in another dimension and so on and on it goes.

We are ALL the anointed of God. We are ALL men of God, as long as we are born again. This men-worship is evil and i[i]t should be put to an end[/i].

This is the problem with this fast-food Christianity that is popular today. There are too many thin lines and many fall in error on the wrong side. We are not saying it is wrong to respect your pastoral leaders. NO! But all the noise about MOG this/that gradually causes the praised one to err. This has happened time and again. Im certain you have read God's Generals. Their stories are right there for you.

Meanwhile Im still waiting for these Bible verses:
InesQor:

@Joagbaje:

[size=13pt]1. Everyone in Christ is not equally anointed.
[/size]

Re: What Defines An "mog"? by eyzhvntsn: 7:50pm On Dec 06, 2010
smiley
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by InesQor(m): 7:51pm On Dec 06, 2010
Rats!!  angry angry angry angry
Long posts. I said I would stop them.

@nuclearboy:
The whole tory dey annoying abeg, my brother.

As for the species,  grin please my email ID is my Nairaland ID: just use my username@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance!!

@eyzhvntsn:  kiss Howz you, big sis?  cheesy Thanks for always. . . .
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by eyzhvntsn: 7:54pm On Dec 06, 2010
InesQor:

Rats!!  angry angry angry angry
Long posts. I said I would stop them.

Hmmm!!!! So much for that decision right!! grin
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by InesQor(m): 7:56pm On Dec 06, 2010
eyzhvntsn:

Hmmm!!!! So much for that decision right!!  grin
It was triggered [s]by Joagbaje's Annoying-Thing[/s]  grin
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by Ladyrsky46: 7:59pm On Dec 06, 2010
InesQor:

Yeah I can bet I know what's coming next. Maybe you have gone to check the documentations, cos I have done same in denial of the Truth in the past. I advise you to check the Bible instead. But I am waiting either way.
I wonder when WIMP( grin) Chrsitians will learn that the answer is not with the Pastor/MOG, but in the Bible. If you're a true Chrsitian, the Holy Spirit will teach you and help you understand and Pastors are there to "shepherd". When people believe EVERYTHING pastor says, then Pastor can come to Church one day and say "Thus saith the Lord, everybody should jump into fire" and you'll be surprised how many people will without asking why or confirming from God Himself.
To many follow follow Christians this days. Terrible cry
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by nuclearboy(m): 8:00pm On Dec 06, 2010
@Inesqor:

Please edit the part in your post that mentions WOF. You are giving him a way out as rather than address the issues raised, he'll now come up with a very lenghty thesis on how christianity is Word of Faith which means you're not walking aright etc en-tedium en-stupidium (I'm designing a new lingo) whist totally avoiding the issue.
Re: What Defines An "mog"? by InesQor(m): 8:03pm On Dec 06, 2010
Ladyrsky46:

I wonder when WIMP( grin) Chrsitians will learn that the answer is not with the Pastor/MOG, but in the Bible. If you're a true Chrsitian, the Holy Spirit will teach you and help you understand and Pastors are there to "shepherd". When people believe EVERYTHING pastor says, then Pastor can come to Church one day and say "Thus saith the Lord, everybody should jump into fire" and you'll be surprised how many people will without asking why or confirming from God Himself.
To many follow follow Christians this days. Terrible cry
GBAM!!! I wonder whose example they followed with that.

For them, the MOG is never wrong. Haba!! See what Paul even had to do to Peter when he was losing grip:

Galatians 2:11 New International Version (©1984)
When Peter came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he was clearly in the wrong.

@nuclearboy:
LOL! Bros you are correct about that. Let me do so right away.

Meanwhile, I am sending you an email from my private mail address I use for serious stuff, cos I can get that one on my on-the-go E-series phone.  wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Should Pastors/ministries Sell Their Books And Messages? / Why Do Muslims Always Quote The Bible But Christians Never Quote The Quran / Can You Believe In God Without Religion ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.