Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,982 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:42 AM

6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) (6661 Views)

I Am Only Respecting Tinubu. If You Dare Me, I Will Surprise You - Fubara / 6 Nigerian Governors Who Are Ph.d Holders / Downtown Aerial View Of Two Emerging Nigerian Cities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by kenechukwujeo50: 10:29am On Jan 11, 2020
Nigeria is not just referred to as the “Giant of Africa” just for her economy and historical achievements, but also for her landmass and population.

The names of some of these Nigerian cities don’t only sound or look weird, but they also have their own historical backgrounds.

6 Nigerian cities that you never knew existed;

1. Yelwa
Historically, Yelwa was the town where the Scottish explorer Mungo Park, who was the first westerner to discover the Niger River, died.

Yelwa is a town in Kebbi State, Nigeria. The town is often referred to as “Yelwa, Yauri”, after the Emirate and Local Government administration it is in.

Please note that this Yelwa is not the same Yelwa in Plateau State where the Yelwa massacre occurred.

In the early 90s, the British occupied the town of Yelwa for their Trading activities.

2. Brass
The term Brass in the English dictionary is referred to as an alloy of copper or zinc.

Meanwhile, Twon-Brass simply addressed as Brass or Brasstown, is a community on Brass island situated in the river estuary of southern Bayelsa state, Nigeria, in the Brass Local Government Area.

In the 19th century, Brass became significantly know as the collecting point for palm oil and kernels. It was a palm oil port under the Oil Rivers Protectorate, and the Niger Coast Protectorate.

But today Brass is now a fishing port and a local trade center, for palm oil produce, taro, cassava, and plantains.

See Full Details Here: https://www.anaedoonline.com/2020/01/11/6-nigerian-cities-you-never-knew-existed-no-4-will-surprise-you-most/

Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by ruggedtimi(m): 11:20am On Jan 11, 2020
my man brass no be city... Is a town

2 Likes

Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by Formularcr7: 11:32am On Jan 11, 2020
Town or city?
Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by OruExpress: 2:34pm On Jan 11, 2020
Mingo Park is not the first westerner to 'discover' the Niger river.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by jamesversion: 2:58pm On Jan 11, 2020
Brass na town abi local government? Cos I know of Opoama, and Akassa where my Pal comes from. 3hrs boat ride ontop high sea. Not for lily-livered persons oh.

1 Like

Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by luluosas(m): 3:11pm On Jan 11, 2020
Others?
Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by movingclouds(m): 3:40pm On Jan 11, 2020
luluosas:
Others?
Just say "others city"
Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by dukeprince50: 3:46pm On Jan 11, 2020
Kafachan or how do they spell it sef?. I was in 500level before I knew it was in nigeria

1 Like

Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by gloriaunobi(f): 3:50pm On Jan 11, 2020
Even when I scored A in Geography, I can vividly tell you that I don't understand what op is saying grin
Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by leke12(m): 3:51pm On Jan 11, 2020
OruExpress:

stop being for goddamned stupid
Mongo park discovered Niger river for the whites not for Africa. It is their history, but since we use their educational system that is why it keep coming out in the history books

2 Likes

Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by DrObum(m): 4:14pm On Jan 11, 2020
There were locals using and ferrying across river Niger even before Mungo Park was born, how did he discover it?

Simply put, he was the first foreigner who visited it and told his people about it.

9 Likes

Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by OruExpress: 5:38pm On Jan 11, 2020
leke12:
Mongo park discovered Niger river for the whites not for Africa. It is their history, but since we use their educational system that is why it keep coming out in the history books

mungo park was the first person from Britian to sail from on end to the other, the Niger river has been know to Europeans hundreds of years before his time.

disregard nigerias colonists written history because it sounds foolish online
Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by OruExpress: 5:41pm On Jan 11, 2020
DrObum:
There were locals using and ferrying across river Niger even before Mungo Park was born, how did he discover it?

Simply put, he was the first foreigner who visited it and told his people about it.

he wasnt even that. Arabs dutch and portugese wrote about it before him and used it to trade

because of Nigeria ineptness as a society you have an entire 250 million people that think mungo park mary sesslor and fredrick lugard are people that made history and not various employees of the british government that aren't even famous in their home countries.

5 Likes

Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by iluvdonjazzy: 6:06pm On Jan 11, 2020
The only city we have in Nigeria is Benin city.
Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by iluvdonjazzy: 6:09pm On Jan 11, 2020
OruExpress:

stop being so goddamned stupid
must you insult somebody.

1 Like

Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by Emestar1999: 6:29pm On Jan 11, 2020
dukeprince50:
Kafachan or how do they spell it sef?. I was in 500level before I knew it was in nigeria
same here.
Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by leke12(m): 6:52pm On Jan 11, 2020
OruExpress:

mungo park was the first person from Britian to sail from on end to the other, the Niger river has been know to Europeans hundreds of years before his time.

that is why i said it is their history not ours.
Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by Fasindo: 6:57pm On Jan 11, 2020
shocked

There is also Yelwa in Bauchi, Bauchi State
Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by colossus91(m): 7:00pm On Jan 11, 2020
OP brass is a local govt in Bayelsa 3hrs on speed boat from Yenagoa and brass is an oil producing local govt sir we have an oil company there if not more.
Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by Okoroawusa: 7:09pm On Jan 11, 2020
dukeprince50:
Lol... tell me you are joking
Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by Okoroawusa: 7:12pm On Jan 11, 2020
OruExpress:

That's what imperialism can do to a people. I would advise you read "Western Social Science as Imperialism" by Claude Ake

2 Likes

Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by dukeprince50: 7:17pm On Jan 11, 2020
Okoroawusa:

Lol... tell me you are joking
90% of people living in South south region thinks the kafachan is somewhere in China.
Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by Okoroawusa: 7:22pm On Jan 11, 2020
dukeprince50:
90% of people living in South south region thinks the kafachan is somewhere in China.
Lol
Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by tck2000(m): 8:53pm On Jan 11, 2020
colossus91:
OP brass is a local govt in Bayelsa 3hrs on speed boat from Yenagoa and brass is an oil producing local govt sir we have an oil company there if not more.
Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by Rollzgold(m): 10:43pm On Jan 11, 2020
Brass na local government nor be city... twon is d place u are referring to which is in brass local government just like okpoama, akassa n odioama
Be guided grin
Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by Ray333(m): 12:15am On Jan 12, 2020
dukeprince50:
It's spelt kafanchan that's where I was born and brought up dat yr
Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by oyatz(m): 12:41am On Jan 12, 2020
Thanks bro for enlightening these people.

Around 100AD, the Roman Empire already knew River Niger from the findings of expeditionary forces sent from Roman Mauretania to explore interior of Africa.

OruExpress:

Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by Airoflaw(m): 1:58am On Jan 12, 2020
You must continu this is 2020 no time for rubbiish
Re: 6 Nigerian Cities You Never Knew Existed (no. 4 Will Surprise You Most) by FutureFocus: 4:12am On Jan 12, 2020
let's eradicate this mental slavery mentality, we need to rewrite our own history. our forefathers has been fishing in that river Niger for centuries before mungo park came visiting and then forced those lies on us because the British had a gun we didn't have as at then, Mungo Park is a criminal! a broad day light robber! his lies and claims are meant to ensure we remains mentally colonized for ever, OP should free himself from mental slavery.

(1) (Reply)

Adulterated Petrol: No Sanctions For NNPC, Importers, Say Reps / Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model / ADAMAWA. Picture Of People Leaving Mubi.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.