Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,983 members, 7,817,901 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:22 PM

Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity (931 Views)

Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. / These Are Hardly Carried Out In Today's Christianity / False Knowledge Of Today's Christianity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by paxonel(m): 7:58am On Jan 12, 2020
This generation Christians, we are all victims of the misconceptions that are affecting our lives negatively created by ancient Christianity of the old catholic church and the orthodox Protestants who never saw the light of quality education in their time.
We can still correct some of these misconceptions and be free from them if we want to, All power has been given to us.

1.Rapture
it is not new that there are no scripture supporting the idea of rapture in the bible. Obviously, the idea of rapture was developed by the ancient catholic church who also postulated and thought people that the earth is flat and not spherical, a wrong doctrine that is formally debunked by Catholics themselves recently.
Those who have truly read the bible from back to back will attest to the fact that there is nothing like rapture, and rapture is the same "quick fixing" doctrine as that of the flat earth doctrine.
The truth is : By the spirit of God through Jesus Christ our Lord resurrection of the dead is on this earth restoring the eternal life Adam and Eve lost (1 Corinthians 15:21), therefore we belong to this earth and we will remain on this earth forever(Revelation 21:24) and we will replenish this earth as God commanded Adam and Eve to do(Genesis 1:28)

2. Born again
this is another huge contradictory beliefs of Christians today even though Jesus Christ himself has defined what he meant by born again to Nicodemus in
John 3:7-8. They ignore what Jesus was trying to tell Nicodemus and assume that born again is a real Christian who obeys Jesus commandments and there are other fake Christians who are sinner's(not mindful the fact that they too commit sin) that these Christians who commit sin all the time are not born again therefore they are not Christians, thereby causing division in the body of Christ.
But meanwhile scriptures assures that we are all one in Christ irrespective of who we are, and not in Islam or Judaism or in any other faith but in Christianity (Romans 12:5).

Matthew 8:11 And I say unto you, That many(referring to all kind of people) shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.

So, salvation is not only for few set of people calling themselves born again but for everyone who believe in Christ irrespective of who they are.
Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by mrZENographer: 8:09am On Jan 12, 2020
I want to ask when did you become a Christian. It's obvious you don't know the scriptures.

The word Rapture is just a terminology coined for the verses below
1 Corinthians 15:51, 1 these 4:18
Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by paxonel(m): 8:14am On Jan 12, 2020
Yes
Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by paxonel(m): 8:21am On Jan 12, 2020
mrZENographer:
I want to ask when did you become a Christian. It's obvious you don't know the scriptures.
actually, it's not about knowing scriptures.
I'm trying to solve a problem here which should be of concern to all who love Christ and Christianity

The word Rapture is just a terminology coined for the verses below
1 Corinthians 15:51, 1 these 4:18
and I'm saying the terminology and the concept behind it was wrongly coined.

Pick one of those scriptures, read the whole chapter from the beginning to end and draw your conclusion about the chapter, you will discover that the concept of rapture does not follow or go along with your conclusion or what the whole chapter is trying to explain.

Then, certainly something is wrong somewhere

1 Like

Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by CAPSLOCKED: 8:38am On Jan 12, 2020
YOU OMITTED THE BIGGEST MISCONCEPTION THAT PRAYERS WORK.

1 Like

Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by mrZENographer: 8:52am On Jan 12, 2020
paxonel:
I'm trying to solve a problem here which should be of concern to all who love Christ and Christianity

Pick one of those scriptures, read the whole chapter from the beginning to end and draw your conclusion about the chapter, you will discover that the concept of rapture does not follow or go along with your conclusion or what the whole chapter is trying to explain.

Before we continue this conversation, what is Rapture by your own definition or understanding?
Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by mrZENographer: 8:53am On Jan 12, 2020
paxonel:

Before we can take this conversation further, pls answer what is Rapture by your own definition or understanding?
Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by paxonel(m): 8:53am On Jan 12, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:
I know about that one too.
I'm trying not write too many things
Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by paxonel(m): 9:01am On Jan 12, 2020
mrZENographer:

Before we can take this conversation further, pls answer what is Rapture by your own definition or understanding?
according to what i was thought from childhood in church, they say it is the catching up of saints in the sky or clouds on the last day.

Did you read and conclude the two chapters
1 Corinthians 15 and 1 these 4 ?

Did their conclusion suggest anything like that?

1 Like

Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by Dtruthspeaker: 9:33am On Jan 12, 2020
paxonel:
according to what i was thought from childhood in church, they say it is the catching up of saints in the sky or clouds on the last day.

Rapture or no, what is important is that we shall be with Christ. And wherever He Chooses to keep us, so shall we be kept.

Also Malachi and Revelation tells us that this World Shall be Destroyed, so I ask you, would it not be necessary to remove us from such destruction which shall certainly come as was done both in Noah's time and in Sodom/Gomorrah?
Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by makydebbie(f): 9:41am On Jan 12, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

Fu¢k you. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by paxonel(m): 10:04am On Jan 12, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

Rapture or no, what is important is that we shall be with Christ. And wherever He Chooses to keep us, so shall we be kept.
that is very true!

Also Malachi and Revelation tells us that this World Shall be Destroyed,
where is that in Malachi and revelation?

so I ask you, would it not be necessary to remove us from such destruction which shall certainly come as was done both in Noah's time and in Sodom/Gomorrah?
don't be scared!
There is no such thing as destruction of the earth the bible didn't say this earth is going to be destroyed.

God asked mankind to replenish and subdue the earth from the beginning only for God to now wake up one morning and destroy what he ask man to replenish, does that sound like what an intelligent God can do, does that make sense to you?

1 Like

Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by paxonel(m): 10:51am On Jan 12, 2020
Yes
Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by BOFREJO(m): 2:51pm On Jan 12, 2020
paxonel do you believe in the HolySpirit or another misconception.
Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by paxonel(m): 2:59pm On Jan 12, 2020
BOFREJO:
paxonel do you believe in the HolySpirit or another misconception.
no!
Holy spirit isn't a misconception.

I believe in the holy spirit which is the gift of righteousness.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by mrZENographer: 6:50pm On Jan 12, 2020
paxonel:

Yes
1 Cor 15: 52: In a moment, in a twinkling of an eye, at the last trump
..... the dead (in Christ) shall be raised incorruptible and we (alive) shall be changed

2 these 4: We that are alive shall not prevent them that are asleep (dead)...... and the dead in Christ shall rise first. Then we which are alive shall be caught up with them.
Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by paxonel(m): 8:33pm On Jan 12, 2020
mrZENographer:

Yes
1 Cor 15: 52: In a moment, in a twinkling of an eye, at the last trump
..... the dead (in Christ) shall be raised incorruptible and we (alive) shall be changed

2 these 4: We that are alive shall not prevent them that are asleep (dead)...... and the dead in Christ shall rise first. Then we which are alive shall be caught up with them.
OK, let's use "1 cor 15" as an example for you to understand what I'm driving at.
The conclusion of that whole chapter when you read it from verse 35 down to the last verse 58 is that there is resurrection of the dead.
The chapter is trying to let us know that there is resurrection of the dead and not rapture.

1 Corinthians 15:35 But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?

To answer this question, Paul explained it down to the last verse.
The question wasn't rapture, the question was is there resurrection of the dead?
Therefore that thing in 1 cor 15:52 is a parable and it interpretation explains resurrection of the dead, not rapture.

See also how Jesus Christ interprete one of his parables in Matthew 13:37-39

Most parables like these are like figure of speeches called Impersonification: That is, using terms like twinking of eye to mean death and resurrection : closing the eye is death and opening it again is resurrection.
Also, the last trump means the last moment of ones death which signifies a call using trumpet that it is time for the person to die.(still talking about resurrection of the dead).
And meet the lord in the air is also a parable which means to be in heaven.(the air or clouds signifies heaven)
In the real sense of that interpretation, the heaven that it is talking about is already here on this earth. The heaven is me and you, everyone believing in Christ.

Colossians 1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

So, we have been translated into heaven already

1 Like

Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by paxonel(m): 2:17pm On Jan 13, 2020
Yes
Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by paxonel(m): 10:13pm On Feb 08, 2020
mrZENographer:

sorry I didn't see this on time!
Take a look at the screenshot below.
Number 3 says often capitalized, do you know what that means?
It means to invent and sponsored.

The dictionary also suggest that rapture in Christianity is an assumption.
Meaning, it is not scriptural.

And truly there is no such word like rapture in the bible.

Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by Professorcplus(m): 11:09pm On Feb 08, 2020
grin
Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by Nobody: 5:44am On Feb 09, 2020
paxonel:
that is very true!
where is that in Malachi and revelation?
don't be scared!
There is no such thing as destruction of the earth the bible didn't say this earth is going to be destroyed.

God asked mankind to replenish and subdue the earth from the beginning only for God to now wake up one morning and destroy what he ask man to replenish, does that sound like what an intelligent God can do, does that make sense to you?
what now happens to the fallen angels(demons) that were casted down to earth after they revolted against GOD?
Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by Nobody: 5:47am On Feb 09, 2020
Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by paxonel(m): 6:20am On Feb 09, 2020
otuekong1:

what now happens to the fallen angels(demons) that were casted down to earth after they revolted against GOD?
do you see any physical angels with us?
Since there are no physical angels with us here on this earth obviously the angels may be responsible for controlling the minds of humans to decide to do evil.
But we can overcome that and refrain ourselves from evil inspite that thought of doing evil may come to our minds sometimes.
We have the power now to decide for ourselves.

Christ days all power has been given to us. Meaning, no angel have power over us.
Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by mrZENographer: 9:01am On Feb 09, 2020
paxonel:
sorry I didn't see this on time!
Take a look at the screenshot below.
Number 3 says often capitalized, do you know what that means?
It means to invent and sponsored.

The dictionary also suggest that rapture in Christianity is an assumption.
Meaning, it is not scriptural.

And truly there is no such word like rapture in the bible.

Hmm. The way you unbelievers twist things ehh!

Did I not previously agree that the word 'rapture' isn't in the Bible. But the definition from which the word was coined is there.

Even if you want to change the word 'rapture' to your name, want will happen will happen.
The saints will be caught up in the sky to meet Jesus in the air. So give that a word.

Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by paxonel(m): 9:38am On Feb 09, 2020
mrZENographer:

Did I not previously agree that the word 'rapture' isn't in the Bible. But the definition from which the word was coined is there.

Even if you want to change the word 'rapture' to your name, want will happen will happen.
The saints will be caught up in the sky to meet Jesus in the air. So give that a word.
the dictionary you uploaded has said it all.

According to the millenarian teaching,
Not according to the bible.
Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by mrZENographer: 11:15am On Feb 09, 2020
paxonel:
the dictionary you uploaded has said it all.

According to the millenarian teaching,
Not according to the bible.

What is the millenarian teaching?
Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by paxonel(m): 11:17am On Feb 09, 2020
mrZENographer:

and by the way,
Not believing somethings you believe doesn't make me an unbeliever.
Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by paxonel(m): 12:30pm On Feb 09, 2020
mrZENographer:

What is the millenarian teaching?
take note of the phrase in the screen shot below "THROUGH SUPERNATURAL ACTION."

God will never do anything again through supernatural action. Not even rapturing people to the clouds supernaturally.

It is all fiction, not real.

Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by mrZENographer: 2:07pm On Feb 09, 2020
paxonel:
take note of the phrase in the screen shot below "THROUGH SUPERNATURAL ACTION."

God will never do anything again through supernatural action. Not even rapturing people to the clouds supernaturally.

It is all fiction, not real.

Quote the Bible scripture and prove your words.

Whether you know it or not, Jesus is coming to rule the world for a thousands years with the resurrected saints.

undecided...making blind arguments!
Re: Some Misconceptions That Is Causing Set-back In Today's Christianity by paxonel(m): 9:44pm On Feb 09, 2020
mrZENographer:

Quote the Bible scripture and prove your words.
[
Whether you know it or not, Jesus is coming to rule the world for a thousands years with the resurrected saints.

undecided...making blind arguments!
OK o grin

I'm done with you

(1) (Reply)

Help! God's Penis Is Decaying Fast!! / If I Get Banned For This Then I Will Make It Worth It / What Are The Principles Of Making A Vow To God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.