Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,239 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:22 AM

Why Christians Should Drink Or Otherwise... - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Christians Should Drink Or Otherwise... (197 Views)

7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol / 10 Things Christians Should Avoid In Church For Their Own Good. / Why Christians Still Battle With Fornication. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Christians Should Drink Or Otherwise... by Johnsghana(m): 2:24pm On Jan 12, 2020
This morning I read a post here on NL about why Christians shouldn't drink and I couldn't but disagree with the gospel of fear and condemnation being preached through the post.

Believers shouldn't be ripping the Word apart even when we disagree on doctrinal issues. Personally, I believe it is not good for the propagation of the gospel. If you disagree with any issue don't attack persons or churches, state you opposing view with as much evidence as possible and leave the rest to the discernment of others.

As a responsible hardworking young man, I used to look forward to Friday nights as a time to relax and have some fun with friends and colleagues alike. I have seen and drank almost all forms of alcohol. However, I have taken time to put some things down with regards to why believers should drink or not drink.

Inheritance
And since we are his children, we are his heirs. In fact, together with Christ we are heirs of God’s glory. But if we are to share his glory, we must also share his suffering.
Romans 8:17 NLT

From the above we can say we are heirs of God, and as such we are potential kings and rulers, since God is the greatest King and Ruler over all things.
It is not for kings, O Lemuel, to guzzle wine. Rulers should not crave alcohol. For if they drink, they may forget the law and not give justice to the oppressed. Alcohol is for the dying, and wine for those in bitter distress. Let them drink to forget their poverty and remember their troubles no more.
Proverbs 31:4‭-‬7 NLT

As potential kings and rulers because of our inheritance in Christ and God's Glory, from the above verses we can see what the Bible says about kings and wine.

Strife
Some would argue that even though the Bible is against gluttony, should we then advocate for people to stop eating? Same thing can be said about wine. You can drink without getting drunk. However, in Rom 16:17 we are encouraged to avoid strife in the church. Does alcohol cause srife among Christians? Yes! Many Christians are against it and believe it's bad.

Temple of God
Also, your body is the temple of God according to 1Cor 6:19 and we have been instructed to keep it holy and clean. Excessive drinking & eating, lack of exercise, poor mental health, etc destroys the body. As such drinking does not help in achieving a clean body/temple of God.

1Cor 10:31, talks about glorifying God with our bodies through anything we eat or drink. Drinking excessively doesn't glorify God.

Tempting others
In 1Cor 8:13 believers are told to avoid eating (or drinking) anything that causes your brother (or others) to sin. A believer who has control over his drink habits and would never get drunk might mislead or be a bad example to a struggling unbeliever who is struggling with alcoholism or dipsomania.

Avoid Temptation.
James 4:7 is clear about avoiding the devil (or temptations} , don't play with fire and not expect to get burnt. How many times have we started the night with a few shots but be end up guzzling bottles of Vodka, Gin & Whiskey by dawn, after which we can no longer be said to be at out best behaviors. Even scientists have proven that your ability to make sound judgments is highly reduced when you're under the influence.

I discovered that anytime I went out on Friday night to hang out with the boys, I always ended up in the company of certain kind of people, saying and doing certain things.
Don’t be fooled by those who say such things, for “bad company corrupts good character.”
1 Corinthians 15:33 NLT

If we are to be honest with ourselves as believers, where are alcoholic drinks sold mostly? What goes on in those places? At nightclubs, bars, etc, where people of questionable characters who are probably spending illegitimate monies and are frolicking with ladies dressed in skimpy attires, whom they are likely to fornicate or commit adultery with. Other vices usually are not far from such places.
Build meaningful relationships with people who do the things you want to achieve. Eg be friends with people who don't drink or smoke. This doesn't mean you should hate drinkers or smokers. Avoid their company till you are strong enough to resist the urge of drinking.

Sobriety
In US, UK and other western nations, police administer sobriety test on car drivers regularly when they think your ability to drive a car might be impaired or when they think you might be a disturbance to public peace.
Be sober [well balanced and self-disciplined], be alert and cautious at all times. That enemy of yours, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion [fiercely hungry], seeking someone to devour.
1 Peter 5:8 AMP

Let me ask you, is your life not more important and complicated than driving a car?
This verse is God's way of telling you that you need to be sober and clear headed to avoid the antics of the devil. How many times have to heard people doing bad things under the influence of alcohol? Someone under the influence of alcohol is an easier tool in the hands of devil.

Finally, why do we drink alcohol? To be happy, to celebrate, to forget our worries, to relax, etc. You can achieve all of these without alcohol.
Ps 37:4 Says take delight in the Lord.
2 Corinthians 12:10-11, says Christ has taken all of our worries.
The more your relationship with God deepens the better you will understand that temporary reliefs can't match being in God.

I think I have been able to make my point as I can go on about how alcohol affects families, absenteeism parenting, how it's an imprudent use of your finances, dependency on alcohol, how it can lead to other forms of substance abuse, etc.

In my own opinion, if you must drink as a believer, you should do it in private or be sure you are not offending anyone around or being a source of temptation to others around you. Better still, don't drink at all.

PS: If you disagree, it's OK. You conviction will come with time.
If you are struggling with your faith, be at rest, nobody gets everything right the first time. Just keep searching for answers and keep getting up every time you fall.

2 Likes

Re: Why Christians Should Drink Or Otherwise... by SolarKing1: 3:28pm On Jun 15, 2020
Thanks for this write-up.
Re: Why Christians Should Drink Or Otherwise... by Kobojunkie: 9:52pm On Jun 15, 2020
@OP, Jesus Christ was called a wine bibber/drunk, not because He did not drink.

Alcohol is good...God made it so. So drink ss much as you want and drink responsibly! You don't need a sermon for all that.

(1) (Reply)

Understanding The Power Of The First Fruit. / Can You Pray For Me? / The Pathway Of Glory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.