Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,643 members, 7,809,416 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:11 AM

Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? (7385 Views)

We Can Be As Perfect As God, Here Is How - Pastor Sunday Adelaja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by Kokoebapluse(m): 7:14pm On Jan 17, 2020
Why Christian always confused about who Jesus truly is?

Jesus said in your Bible that the greatest Commandments is hear oh isreal our God is one,

Again he said who accepts him accept he who sent him,

So what make Jesus God?

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jan 17, 2020
Just read arian controversy
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by mrZENographer: 10:29am On Jan 18, 2020
AntiChristian:

So you quoted John all through but failed to reconcile that Matthew verse

Matthew 24:36, & Mark 13:32

"But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

Jesus does not know the hour.

The Spirit does not know the hour.

Only the father knows it.

Great is our Lord, and mighty in power; his understanding is infinite (Psalm 147:5). This means God knows everything!

Your scriptural preferences are immaterial. I have quoted the scripture to you.

The Father, Son and Holyghost are one.

There are things the human body cannot do that the mind can do and vice versa. E.g Astral projection, Psychic etc.
Yet, both body and mind are one.

Consider this, And there are also knowledge hidden in your subconcious mind that you don't know is there. Many experts have figured this, that's why they use subliminal messages in music, movies, company adverts to plant infos subconciosly into your mind without you noticing.
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by AntiChristian: 10:32am On Jan 18, 2020
mrZENographer:

OK, I was thinking you were logical. Sorry! Keep quoting and thrash your brain!

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by mrZENographer: 10:39am On Jan 18, 2020
AntiChristian:

OK, I was thinking you were logical. Sorry! Keep quoting and thrash your brain!

Any sensible person will be angry at your illiteracy, dogmatic rigidity and inability to read between the lines.

Moreover, I have also updated my last post. How could I tell you'd be watching like an owl for my next comment.
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by AntiChristian: 10:52am On Jan 18, 2020
mrZENographer:

Any sensible person will be angry at your illiteracy, dogmatic rigidity and inability to read between the lines.

Moreover, I have also updated my last post. How could I tell you'd be watching like an owl for my next comment.

What does illeteracy mean here? I am pragmatic not Dogmatic as you claim. Does God too have soul, body & mind as we do?

Jesus said he was sent? by who? Himself right?

Alright! You'll be alright bro. Keep wallowing in contradiction!
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by mrZENographer: 12:08pm On Jan 18, 2020
AntiChristian:

What does illeteracy mean here? I am pragmatic not Dogmatic as you claim. Does God too have soul, body & mind as we do?

Alright! You'll be alright bro. Keep wallowing in contradiction!

God created us in his own image and likeness.
Genesis 1:26 cheesy cheesy cheesy "And God said, "let US create man in OUR own image and after OUR own likeness. smiley smiley smiley

I already explained everything to you in both logical and plain speeches. But you have sealedup your understanding behind iron bars.

It's apparent you don't even know what Astral projection is and too lazy/closeminded to google it.

Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by AntiChristian: 2:26pm On Jan 18, 2020
mrZENographer:

Genesis 1:26 cheesy cheesy cheesy "And God said, "let US create man in OUR own image and after OUR own likeness. smiley smiley smiley

I already explained everything to you in both logical and plain speeches. But you have sealedup your understanding behind iron bars.

It's apparent you don't even know what Astral projection is and too lazy/closeminded to google it.

Does your Lord use astral projection!

Jesus is different from God. When Jesus was being baptized who was talking from heaven?

Jesus talking to himself abi?

You need deliverance better go meet father Lazarus abi na Zacheaus!
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by Janosky: 2:33pm On Jan 18, 2020
mrZENographer:

Gen 1:27
"So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them; male
and female he created them."

In Genesis 1:27, "In His own image" , "His" ,na how many people?
"He created them", "He" na how many person?

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by Janosky: 2:35pm On Jan 18, 2020
mrZENographer:

FRAUD !

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by Janosky: 2:38pm On Jan 18, 2020
mrZENographer:

1 JOHN 5:7 KJV,FRAUD !

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by Janosky: 2:46pm On Jan 18, 2020
mrZENographer:

Pls put 1 JOHN 5:7 KJV FRAUD for dustbin.

John 5:37. 6:46. 14:1.
You belong to Christ & Christ belongs to God"
1 Cor 3:23. Compare Matt 10:40.
Rev 3:5,12 compare Matt 10:32-33 & John20:17.
Receive sense F. O. C
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by mrZENographer: 3:59pm On Jan 18, 2020
Janosky:

Gen 1:27
"So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them; male
and female he created them."

In Genesis 1:27, "In His own image" , "His" ,na how many people?
"He created them", "He" na how many person?

Let US create man.

"US" na how many persons?
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by mrZENographer: 4:00pm On Jan 18, 2020
Janosky:

FRAUD !

Is that all!
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by mrZENographer: 4:01pm On Jan 18, 2020
Janosky:

Pls put 1 JOHN 5:7 KJV FRAUD for dustbin.

John 5:37. 6:46. 14:1.
You belong to Christ & Christ belongs to God"
1 Cor 3:23. Compare Matt 10:40.
Rev 3:5,12 compare Matt 10:32-33 & John20:17.
Receive sense F. O. C

You simply lack understanding like a one-celled organism. Ask God for wisdom, knowledge and understanding. He will give you. James 1:5
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by AntiChristian: 4:15pm On Jan 18, 2020
mrZENographer:

You simply lack understanding like a one-celled organism. Ask God for wisdom, knowledge and understanding. He will give you. James 1:5

Can you quote a Bible verse that says you should put on the lemon colored waist shirt you Chosen guys put on? Was it put on by Jesus or Paul too?
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by mrZENographer: 5:21pm On Jan 18, 2020
AntiChristian:

Can you quote a Bible verse that says you should put on the lemon colored waist shirt you Chosen guys put on? Was it put on by Jesus or Paul too?

Hahayayaya, you are derailing your own thread.

We use apron as mobile advertisement of our crusades/programs. That is the purpose of it's creation.

Any creative strategy used to promote the gospel/church is very much approved by God.

I don't think My Lord Jesus his early apostles were printing flyers or sending emails to followers or posting sign boards. Arts and technology has drastically improved since then.
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by orunto27: 6:03pm On Jan 18, 2020
Read The Book of Hebrew Chapter one.
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by Janosky: 11:55pm On Jan 18, 2020
mrZENographer:

Revelation 3:5,12
5 He who overcomes shall
be clothed in white garments, and I will not
blot out his name from the Book of Life; but
I will confess his name before My Father and
before His angels.
12 He who overcomes, I will make
him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he
shall go out no more. I will write on him the
name of My God and the name of the city of
My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes
down out of heaven from My God. And I will
write on him My new name."
Compare John20:17,30,31.
Revelation 3:5,12, Jesus Christ is telling you to apply your comments to yourself, & RECEIVE SENSE.
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by Janosky: 12:24am On Jan 19, 2020
orunto27:
Read The Book of Hebrew Chapter one.

Hebrew 1:8,9 is a repeat of Psalm 45:6,7.
Psalm 45:6-7 The Message (MSG)
6-7
“Your throne is God’s throne,
ever and always;
The scepter of your royal rule
measures right living.
You love the right
and hate the wrong.
And that is why God, your very own God,
poured fragrant oil on your head,
Marking you out as king
from among your dear companions."
Compare 1 Chronicle 29:23. Rev 3:21. Lamentations 5:19. 2 Sam7:12-16.

Any rendition of Hebrew 1:8 radically different from Psalms 45:6,7 (MSG.NWT) is simply a FRAUD to back up the Trinity fraud.
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by AntiChristian: 9:22am On Jan 19, 2020
mrZENographer:

Hahayayaya, you are derailing your own thread.

We use apron as mobile advertisement of our crusades/programs. That is the purpose of it's creation.

Any creative strategy used to promote the gospel/church is very much approved by God.

I don't think My Lord Jesus his early apostles were printing flyers or sending emails to followers or posting sign boards. Arts and technology has drastically improved since then.

Do you need to advertise your Lord God?
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by CaveAdullam: 11:41am On Jan 19, 2020
John 14:9-11
ESV:Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.”
ESV:Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
ESV:Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works.
ESV:Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves.

If I may ask who is the Saviour of Christians, God or the Lord Jesus Christ?

Cc AntiChristian, FOLYKAZE, Janosky, MrZENographer, Muttleylaff.
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by AntiChristian: 7:46pm On Jan 19, 2020
CaveAdullam:
ESV:Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
ESV:Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works.
ESV:Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves.

This is simply a parable! It is not literal.
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by CaveAdullam: 8:55pm On Jan 19, 2020
AntiChristian:

This is simply a parable! It is not literal.
When I say you are a clown I wasn't missing words.

Looooooooool. You are funny dude, really funny.

Parable ko parable ni.

Muttleylaff, MrZENographer, FOLYKAZE you guys should come carry your bro o.

Looooooooool.
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by MuttleyLaff: 8:57pm On Jan 19, 2020
CaveAdullam:
Parable ko parable ni.
Looooooooool.
[img]https://s2/images/MuttleyDriveLaff.gif[/img]
I had earlier laughed myself when I read it

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:02pm On Jan 19, 2020
CaveAdullam:

If I may ask who is the Saviour of Christians, God or the Lord Jesus Christ?.

What sort of warped scriptural backup is this?

Where does it say Jesus is the same as father?

For ff sake, a woman can declare that whoever see her has seen her husband. A representative can also say he doesn't speak on his own authority but of the person that sent him.

None of the two claims make wife become Husband or representative become the face of authority. So I don't know where you get the crap like Jesus is Jehovah.

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by mrZENographer: 10:26pm On Jan 19, 2020
AntiChristian:

Do you need to advertise your Lord God?

Yes!

Mark16:15 "And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature."

Acts 8:4 "Therefore they that were scattered abroad went every where preaching the word."
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jan 19, 2020
AntiChristian:
Considering the fact that the majority of Christians have been taught that Jesus is God, that is a very good question. “And the answer is…”—Yes, and No. Huh?

The answer is Yes only because most versions of the Bible wrongly capitalize the word “God” in Hebrews 1:8 and elsewhere. In a sense, the answer is also Yes because Jesus is called “god” in the Bible. The answer is No because Jesus is never called “God” in the same way as is the Father, who Jesus himself referred to as “the only true God” (John 17:3). There is only one “capital-G” God, and that is the Father (1 Cor. 8:6). And, as we will see, Jesus is far and away the best of all the “small-g” gods.

Jesus is called “god” in the Bible? Yes, and so are Satan, Moses, the spiritual leaders of Israel, and pagan deities. A study of the word “god” in Scripture will show that there are quite a number of different ways that word is used, and that whether or not it is capitalized makes a big difference in its meaning.

So let’s look into the answer to this frequently asked question, starting in John 10:25-39. For the sake of brevity, and because the scriptures I will cite are covered in our book, One God & One Lord: Reconsidering the Cornerstone of the Christian Faith, I will paraphrase (and perhaps colloquialize) some of them. On this Biblical Unitarian website, you can go to “An Explanation of Verses Sometimes Used to Support the Trinity” and see what we say about the verses I mention or click on the hyper links for further study.

In John 10, the Jews were bugging Jesus to tell them once and for all if he was the Messiah, and he replied by saying (v. 25ff) that it should have been obvious to them by the miracles he did. He then drew a parallel between him and his Father (vv. 28,29), saying that no one could snatch a chosen one from either of their hands. His next statement has been too often wrenched from its context and grossly misinterpreted: “I and my Father are one.” How so? Clearly, in the sense that he just stated.

The Jews, very dissatisfied with Jesus’ answer, picked up stones to kill him, whereupon Jesus asked them which miracle they didn’t like. “It’s not the miracles,” they said, “it’s that you, a man, claim to be a god.” That is the proper translation of the verse, but nearly all Bible versions mistranslate it as “…claim to be God,” and, without a shred of textual justification, the NIV goes so far as to add in the adjective “mere” before the word “man.” Both of those translational foibles serve only to confuse people about this classic and critical section of Scripture. No Jew in his right mind would have said that Jesus was claiming to be God (Yahweh). Had they thought that, they would have dismissed him as demented. They all knew that the Messiah was to be a man, but they had it in for Jesus and refused to believe that he was that man.

Had Jesus been “God” in the sense that most Christians today think he is, this was his golden opportunity to make that clear: “You’re right—I am God.” Instead, quoting from Psalm 82, he said, “Hold it, doesn’t the Old Testament call the judges of Israel ‘gods’? Well then, what’s so bad about me saying I’m the Son of God?” By the way, if words have definitive meanings, one cannot be both the Son of God and God.

Look at Psalm 82—it’s only eight verses, and is talking about God’s evaluation of those He had called to lead Israel. In verse one we see the cultural Hebrew usage of the word “god” as referring to one whom God chose as His representative. In verses 2-7 God laments how badly those “gods” were doing in caring for His people, and the psalm closes in verse 8 with a plea for the Messiah to come and rule the earth righteously. Unfortunately, the word “god” is wrongly capitalized in verse 8.

Let’s look at a couple of other places in the Old Testament where the Messiah is referred to as “god.” The first is Isaiah 9:6—Merry Christmas! Sure, you’ve no doubt seen a card with that verse on it. Too bad the word “god” is once again wrongly capitalized. The Messiah would not be the mighty “God,” he would be the mighty “god.” The Moffatt Bible and Martin Luther’s translation read “mighty hero” rather than “mighty God.” That is a very accurate rendering, because, as the ultimate representative of God, the Messiah would be the hero of all heroes. And Jesus was exactly that! He perfectly represented God’s heart to mankind. He is the “god” called for in Psalm 82:8.

How about Psalm 45, another prophecy about the Messiah—this one about him riding forth victoriously to conquer and then rule the earth as God’s perfect representative. Verses 6 and 7 are quoted in Hebrews 1:8 and 9, which is where we will go next. Sad to say that in verse 6 the word “god” is once again mis-capitalized as “God.” No, like Psalm 82 and Isaiah 9:6, this psalm is also speaking of the Man among men, the one whom God would empower to restore His lost Paradise.

OK, let’s look at Hebrews 1, and the context of the quote from Psalm 45. For the record, Hebrews 1 and 2 are a trenchant account of Jesus Christ’s journey from suffering to glory, emphasizing why he had to be a man (the Last Adam) in order to be the Redeemer of mankind. They are covered in detail in Chapters 2 and 3 of our One God & One Lord book. Hebrews 1:1-3 shows how God did His best in Old Testament times to communicate to mankind via the spoken and written words of the prophets, but what He really had in mind was Jesus, His ultimate image. Verse 4 then begins a most significant analogy between Jesus and the angels that goes all the way through Chapter 2.

Verses 5, 6, and 7, each quoting an Old Testament reference, are speaking about the resurrection of Jesus Christ (v. 5—it’s not about his birth—look at Ps. 2:7 & Acts 13:33) and his return to the earth to rule (v. 6). Verse 8 clarifies that Psalm 45:6 and 7 are a Messianic prophecy, but the translators once again mis-capitalize “god” as “God.” But look at verse 9! It says, “…therefore God, even your God, has set you above your companions by anointing you with the oil of joy.” Say, if one is God, how can anyone else be his “God”? That should be a more frequently asked question! In agreement with many other verses of Scripture, Hebrews 1:9 is clearly saying that because Jesus Christ suffered and died, God raised him from the dead and highly exalted (anointed) him as Lord.

Another pertinent verse is John 20:28, where Thomas cried out upon first seeing the resurrected Christ: “My Lord and my God.” Many people use that verse to prove that Jesus is God, but it does not, for two reasons. The first is that the Bible is not stating that Jesus is God, the Bible is stating that Thomas called Jesus “God.” And the second reason is that “God” should be “god.” As a Jew, Thomas was familiar with that usage of the word “god.”

So, the Bible does refer to Jesus as “god,” but only in the sense of his being the perfect representative of the only true God, his Father and his God. Neither God nor Jesus ever said that he is God. Both call him the Son of God.

From Biblical Unitarian

Psalm 82 where you quoted where Jesus made reference to his God or God nature.

The Hebrew word use for God is the same used for God which is elohiym.

This means there was no capital letter used by the original writers to differentiate God the Father and God the sons.

The capital letters we're introduced by the translators.
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by mrZENographer: 11:19pm On Jan 19, 2020
CaveAdullam:

Parable ko parable ni.

Looooooooool.

@Antichristian

John 10:29 "My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. 30 I and my Father are one.

31Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him."

Someone post a comparison of soul, spirit body of man to a Robot's trinity (Hardware, Software and Electricity)

Is the software greater than the hardware, vice versa or equal in power? Take a Stern angry look at your laptop/phone and answer me.

These three are one.
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by Janosky: 1:05am On Jan 20, 2020
mrZENographer:

@Antichristian

John 10:29 "My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. 30 I and my Father are one.

31Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him."

Someone post a comparison of soul, spirit body of man to a Robot's trinity (Hardware, Software and Electricity)

Is the software greater than the hardware, vice versa or equal in power? Take a Stern angry look at your laptop/phone and answer me.

These three are one.
John14:28. "The Father is greater than I"
You're trying so hard to force your personal twists into the holy Scriptures ..

John 10:36, Jesus says "I am God's son" Christ is not equal to the Father ,Yahweh.
John10:30 = Matt19:5,6= 1Cor3:8=1Cor6:16
> 'One' simply means agreement, unity.
John 10:30 Jesus means he is in agreement with the Father, Yahweh.= John 17:20-23.
Stop twisting the holy Scriptures.
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by Janosky: 1:33am On Jan 20, 2020
CaveAdullam:

John 17:21-23

21 THAT THEY MAY ALL BE ONE ,JUST AS
YOU, FATHER ARE IN ME, AND I IN YOU THAT THEY ALSO MAY BE IN US,
so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 The glory that you have given me I have given to them,
THAT THEY MAY BE ONE EVEN AS WE ARE ONE ,
23 I IN THEM and YOU IN ME, THAT THEY MAY BECOME PERFECTLY ONE , so that the world may
know that you sent me and loved them even
as you loved me. "
John 17 :21-23, Jesus has given a perfect response to your twists of John14:9-11.
John14:9-11 not proof of Trinity.
Rather, John14:9-11= John17:20-23= Matt 10:40= 1 Cor 3:23.
Shikena !

1 John 4:14,15
"We ourselves have seen and bear witness that the Father has sent His son as Saviour of the world"
You don't seem to believe the words of Jesus Christ in John 3:16.
Re: Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? by CaveAdullam: 6:46am On Jan 20, 2020
Janosky:

John 17:21-23

21 THAT THEY MAY ALL BE ONE ,JUST AS
YOU, FATHER ARE IN ME, AND I IN YOU THAT THEY ALSO MAY BE IN US,
so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 The glory that you have given me I have given to them,
THAT THEY MAY BE ONE EVEN AS WE ARE ONE ,
23 I IN THEM and YOU IN ME, THAT THEY MAY BECOME PERFECTLY ONE , so that the world may
know that you sent me and loved them even
as you loved me. "
John 17 :21-23, Jesus has given a perfect response to your twists of John14:9-11.
John14:9-11 not proof of Trinity.
Rather, John14:9-11= John17:20-23= Matt 10:40= 1 Cor 3:23.
Shikena !
After John 14:9-11, Thomas now got the boldness to call Jesus Christ Lord and God in John 20:28 because before Christ death on the Cross of Calvary he has received a wonderful exegesis of the perfect Godhead.

Try and imagine that scenario in John 14:9-11 and you will see that the oneness theory it proclaims is different from the oneness theory in John 17:21-23

Shikena!

Janosky:
1 John 4:14,15
"We ourselves have seen and bear witness that the Father has sent His son as Saviour of the world"
You don't seem to believe the words of Jesus Christ in John 3:16.

That is the Godhead doing what He knows how to do best. Mr Janosky can perfectly play the role of a Manager, Husband and Father without any conflict just as the Godhead was sitting on His heavenly throne and also walked upon the earth at the same time which is a wonderful prove of His omnipotence.

I believe the words of the Lord Jesus Christ my Lord and God, but sometimes our interpretation of His words do cause us trouble. But thank God for the Holy Spirit that has come to help.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Evolutionist: How Do You Explain Human Lifespan? / Come Now Let Us Reason Together / Prophet Bayode Olubo‎ Of House Favour Church Donates Items And Cash To Widows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.