Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,588 members, 7,958,818 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 03:16 AM

Starting A New Forum Like Nairaland. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Starting A New Forum Like Nairaland. (1514 Views)

Need To Build A Forum Like Nairaland.... Urgently / Checklist For Starting A Successful Blog From Scratch / Design A Website Like Nairaland For N150,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starting A New Forum Like Nairaland. by saints2(f): 2:53pm On May 29, 2007
Hello All,
I wanna start a forum for my church youth members,Whichs gonna be a place like Nairaland,but i want the forum to be like this as in Nairaland format,what can i do,and what web will i signed up.

Pardon me for my bad grammer am in hurry.
Thanks in Advance
Re: Starting A New Forum Like Nairaland. by Donmacoweb(m): 6:45pm On May 29, 2007
saints_1 , you can have a forum like nairaland in   30 minutes.
Re: Starting A New Forum Like Nairaland. by canachy(m): 6:19pm On May 31, 2007
@saints_1

I will like you to answer this question before I can tell you what to do.

Are you a web designer/developer?
Re: Starting A New Forum Like Nairaland. by niceuzor: 9:15pm On May 31, 2007
Chibuzor i suggest you help this guy instead of asking him such question'

i think this guy really need help

@topic

i refer you seek help from Seun,nairaland is not a small site as u think

ask him and he will tell you all he pass through to setup this site.

i hope this help

cheers. cool
Re: Starting A New Forum Like Nairaland. by saints2(f): 12:40pm On Jun 01, 2007
Thanks all for your reply which am so honored to have people like you.Based on some questions that you guys asked like;
canachy:

Are you a web designer/developer?

Am not a web designer/developer,but i will just say am gifted cos i learned the computer on my own,i have the ability to create a web o my own without learning it elsewhere.

As for Canachy thanks a lot,i think i will take those steps,but you can keep more coming its better i hear from more people.

Thanks alot God Bless.
Re: Starting A New Forum Like Nairaland. by niceuzor: 1:14pm On Jun 01, 2007
*Excited* Dont mind canachy is only putting ur legs at the 1st place u see

he is the mine man we need here,i also have some clue on that too.

Thank's alot canachy (people like u na we need 4 here) wink
Re: Starting A New Forum Like Nairaland. by saints2(f): 2:21pm On Jun 01, 2007
Thanks All,I will take all into consideration.;d
Re: Starting A New Forum Like Nairaland. by missy06(f): 6:53pm On Jun 16, 2007
Hello guys!

Canachy I was just about to send Seun an email re: how to start a forum like Nairaland and saw your posting; you just saved me the wahala!!

Thanks a million for your input!! Like Niceuzor I must say we need more individuals like you on this site. cheesy

Later,
Re: Starting A New Forum Like Nairaland. by Seun(m): 8:03am On Jun 18, 2007
My advice: don't use SMF for a small forum. Use www.punbb.org or www.phorum.org and save your time.
Re: Starting A New Forum Like Nairaland. by missy06(f): 3:16pm On Jun 18, 2007
Thank for that.

It seems SMF has licensing issues and a friend recommended phpBB so I've gone with that for now.

Thanks again!!
Re: Starting A New Forum Like Nairaland. by canachy(m): 4:00pm On Jun 18, 2007
missy06:

Thank for that.

It seems SMF has licensing issues and a friend recommended phpBB so I've gone with that for now.

Thanks again!!

There is no such thing as "licencing issues" with SMF. Don't get scared by what SEUN said: I have used PHPBB, VBULLETIN, PUNBB, SMF and PHORUM, and I can boldly tell you than SMF is second to none (VBULLETIN is equally great).

Seun:

My advice: don't use SMF for a small forum. Use www.punbb.org or www.phorum.org and save your time.

OluwaSeun, I doubt if you are sure of what you are saying. While installing SMF, it will automatically create a database (smf), provided you state the hostname and password correctly. On the other hand, you need to manually create a database and grant previledges, before you can successfully install PUNBB and PHORUM; so, tell me which one is easier to set up (the former or the latter).

I maybe wrong, but I am just talking out of experience.
Re: Starting A New Forum Like Nairaland. by missy06(f): 5:47pm On Jun 18, 2007
1) We'll I'm no expert! In regard to my comment on SMF having 'licensing issues' see the links below:

http://www.hiveminds.co.uk/node/597?from=20&comments_per_page=10

http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=244739

2) Canachy, in your opinion, which are the top 3 you would recommend? and what are their drawbacks.

I set up my forum using phpBB on Saturday and about to put it out today. I'm thinking of moving it to VBulletin later (not doing so at the moment as you have to pay for it and I want to ensure I'm happy to continue the forum) . Is this easy to move over later?

3) Also have you had problems with spamming? , As this seems to be a problem with some of these open source forums. undecided
Re: Starting A New Forum Like Nairaland. by missy06(f): 5:48pm On Jun 18, 2007
Canachy,

can you send me links to your forums please?
Re: Starting A New Forum Like Nairaland. by niceuzor: 6:37pm On Jun 18, 2007
@missy06

Thanks for the complement but i dont think NL is active as b4

seun has disorganise everything on this forum.

i'm Out trying to go to the neighbouring forum,

dont ask me he knows what i'm talking abt?i mean seun.
Re: Starting A New Forum Like Nairaland. by effopsgraisse(m): 10:46am On Nov 29, 2011
so ask me about how to get payed.

If you have any questions that are bugging you please post your question here.
Do you need to know if she is cheating you? Ask us why
Do you need to know more about sex Ask us more
Re: Starting A New Forum Like Nairaland. by Slyr0x: 11:15am On Nov 29, 2011
Who resurrected this thread?

(1) (Reply)

Hostgator Account Verification Issue! / Need A Creative Website Developer Urgently / Top 6 Free Responsive Wordpress Themes 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.