Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,175 members, 7,829,208 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:34 PM

Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs (915 Views)

David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained / FG Declares Operation Amotekun Illegal / Operation Amotekun: Carry Illegal Arms, Be Arrested, Police Warn OPC, Hunters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by prof2007: 2:44pm On Jan 19, 2020
Retired military leaders on Saturday endorsed the Western Nigeria Security Network initiative of the 6 South-West governors to check criminal activities in the zone. In separate interviews with Sunday PUNCH, they said the security outfit code-named Operation Amotekun would help to address security problems in the South-West.

The Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, said on Tuesday declared the outfit illegal.

Speaking in an interview with one of our correspondents on Saturday, a former Minister of Police Affairs, Major General David Jemibewon, argued that security arrangements at different levels were imperative to address the security challenges facing the country. Jemibewon, who was the military governor of the now-defunct Western State from 1975 to 1976, said there was a need to have security arrangements at the 3 tiers of government, insisting Operation Amoketun was not an illegal outfit.

The ex- military governor of Oyo State said, “The governors never committed any illegal act. What are the governors for? If the fundamental responsibility of government is to ensure safety of life and property, I do not see how anyone can turn around to say it (Operation Amotekun) is illegal or wrong to do that.”

Jemibewon said it would be unreasonable for a governor not to make efforts to secure his state “in the belief that the Federal Government will secure the nation”. He said South-West governors could go to court stop the Federal Government from stopping the outfit.

“Amotekun (officials) are not police; it’s just a local arrangement to support in the area of security. I do not think they are competing with the police.” He recalled how the FG resisted the establishment of the road safety corps in Oyo State, only to turn around to adopt the outfit now named Federal Road Safety Corps.

He said, “I know when we started the road safety corps in the West, in Oyo State, we had opposition. It was later that the FG saw that it was beautiful and then made it a federal institution. “People thought that by establishing it, we were taking over police work. But I am happy it has become a federal institution today and I think, anybody who thinks or wants to abrogate the FRSC will have some difficulties.”

Ex-military administrator of Lagos, Brig Gen Olagunsoye Oyinlola, said people have the right to evolve new security strategies if the government fails to protect them. He said Operation Amotekun had the backing of everyone in the South-West and faulted the AGF’s statement declaring the outfit illegal.

Oyinlola said, “I believe the Federal Government was wrong. I pioneered establishment of the special joint forces to combat crimes in this country with the establishment of Operation Sweep on May 15, 1995, in Lagos when I was military administrator. I did it at a time when criminals almost took over Lagos from the government because of the political crisis engendered by the annulment of the June 12, 1993 (presidential) election and detention of the winner.

“With support of the people, Operation Sweep did very well and all my successors, from Mohammed Marwa to Sanwo-Olu have kept to that template and improved on it. Almost all states have copied it under different code names but the introduction of Operation Amotekun, I am sure, will infuse new ideas into these structures and fill the gaps in our security ecosystem. The Federal Government should just key into the system instead of seeking to kill it.”

The ex-Osun State governor told South-West governors to go ahead with the initiative and continually improve on it, warning that they should guard against using it for politics.

Major General Abiodun Role said a centralised policing system had outlived its usefulness, adding that the move by the governors was long overdue. “I believe South-West governors have taken the bull by the horns and then two, three days after they launched Amotekun, Benue and Nasarawa governors met to also discuss the issue. South-East governors are also beginning to think, we have to start thinking.”

Ex-Provost Marshal of the Nigeria Army, Brig Gen Idada Ikponmwen, said the insecurity in the country was clear evidence of the need for fundamental reform in the structure of the police. According to him, the concept of governors being the chief security officers in their states imposes clear responsibility on them to have their own outfit to ensure security as well as ensuring law and order in their states.

He added, “As far as I am concerned, the idea of outlawing the effort in establishing Amotekun is unsustainable. Nothing can relate better to grassroots policing than Operation Amotekun. In my candid view, other zones should emulate what South-West governors have done.”

Ex-military administrator of Ogun State, Col Daniel Akintonde, however, cautioned the governors against taking the FG to court over the outfit, stressing that the slow pace of justice would frustrate them. He said, “I want it (security outfit) done at the state level because northern states are doing it. Because doing it at the regional level might be seen as a means to divide the country.”

But ex-Director of the Directorate of Military Intelligence, Col Kunle Toogun, urged the governors to go ahead with Operation Amotekun, insisting that they had the right to protect their people “because that was the most important responsibility they have as the chief security officers of their states”. He said the FG had failed to ensure safety of the lives and property in the region.

Toogun said, “Why should they not go ahead with Operation Amotekun? I will ask them to go ahead with it. Amotekun is just like community police and this is the way things are done in other parts of the world. There are other outfits such as Hisbah police and the Civilian Joint Task Force in the North. Why will Malami declare one illegal and okay others?”

Former Vice-President of the Nigerian Bar Association, Mr Justy Erhabor, said, “In the first place, the AGF’s declaration of Amotekun as illegal does not amount to an enforceable judgment of a competent court. This is a defining moment for South-West governors. They either stand with their people or betray them. The mere mention of Amotekun is already making the South-West safe.”

SOURCE (abridged): https://punchng.com/operation-amotekun-ignore-fg-jemibewon-oyinlola-others-tell-govs/

3 Likes

Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by sarrki(m): 2:45pm On Jan 19, 2020
NO they should not ignore them

They should rather legalize it and make it stay

Anyone against Amotekun is a terrorist

4 Likes

Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jan 19, 2020
sarrki:

They can legislate it in their various state but on regional basis, no such assembly exist.

Anybody supporting regional Amotekun is a terrorist far more dangerous than Osama bin laden and should be treated as such.
Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jan 19, 2020
Former Vice-President of the Nigerian Bar Association, Mr Justy Erhabor, said, “In the first place, the AGF’s declaration of Amotekun as illegal does not amount to an enforceable judgment of a competent court. This is a defining moment for South-West governors. They either stand with their people or betray them. The mere mention of Amotekun is already making the South-West safe.

smiley
Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by clevvermind(m): 2:58pm On Jan 19, 2020
Amotekun is scaring shit out of them. those terrorists don't want it to stand.
Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jan 19, 2020
Osagyefo98:

They can legislate it in their various state but on regional basis, no such assembly exist.

Anybody supporting regional Amotekun is a terrorist be far more dangerous than Osama bin laden and should be treated as such.

Shebi you know where Ibadan is?

Go to Agodi, climb the tallest tree there and shout at the top of your voice "stop Amotekun right now", three times. That should do it.

2 Likes

Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jan 19, 2020
FrLukas:

Go to Agodi, climb the tallest tree there and shout at the top of your voice "stop Amotekun right now", three times. That should do it.

I can only see brown roof if I climb any tree.

Amotekun is a terrorist organization and should be stopped.

MURIC said the operations are all targeted at none natives in SW.
Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by hisgrace090: 3:05pm On Jan 19, 2020
In this issue fg is alone.
Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by Iamgrey5(m): 3:07pm On Jan 19, 2020
FrLukas:

You want to kill Meles the Anambra boy. cheesy

That is were those Opc guys are usually are

3 Likes

Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by donbachi(m): 3:07pm On Jan 19, 2020
What are they really afraid of...is it just d amotekun or something else.

1 Like

Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by Iamgrey5(m): 3:09pm On Jan 19, 2020
Osagyefo98:

I can only see brown roof if I climb any tree.

Amotekun is a terrorist organization and should be stopped.

MURIC said the operations are all targeted at none natives in SW.
How far, I heard Apc claims they would stop at nothing to win your state in 2021. cheesy

Shouldn't you be worried about that?

2 Likes

Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by Foxman19: 3:09pm On Jan 19, 2020
Buhari is a terrorist and scammer. You agree that?
sarrki:

Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jan 19, 2020
Iamgrey5:
You want to kill Meles the Anambra boy. cheesy

That is were those Opc guys are usually are

grin grin

They will just scrape his head with broken bottle. cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jan 19, 2020
Iamgrey5:
How far, I heard Apc claims they would stop at nothing to win your state in 2021. cheesy

Shouldn't you be worried about that?

Go and read my comment there and have peacegrin
Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by Iamgrey5(m): 3:16pm On Jan 19, 2020
FrLukas:

grin grin

They will just scrape his head with broken bottle. cheesy
They will teach him some respect and to mind his own business grin

1 Like

Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by Iamgrey5(m): 3:19pm On Jan 19, 2020
Osagyefo98:

Go and read my comment there and have peacegrin
Yes, I realized you have left your people in Anambra to their faith like one of your previous commanders

The heardsmen are coming to your community and it is not a threat, it is going to happen grin

1 Like

Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jan 19, 2020
Iamgrey5:

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jan 19, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Yes, I realized you have left your people in Anambra to their faith like one of your previous commanders

The heardsmen are coming to your community and it is not a threat, it is going to happen grin

If you know my community well, you will realize there is no way herdsmen will enter both through roads or lands. We can't have such experience here.

I am a pure Democrat and I don't overlook my fellow comrades at arms.

Amotekun is highly Illegal. The year has never gone far for us to start training terrorist.

If MURIC can come and said that Amotekun are all targeted at Igbos, Ebira, Itshekiri, Hausas etc then it calls for concern

Prof Akintola Ishaq made this statement and he is a highly revered stakeholder in yorubaland.
Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jan 19, 2020
Iamgrey5:

I am now an object of discuss.

Well I am a pure and committed Democrat , so freedom of speech remains your right.
Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by Conner44: 3:30pm On Jan 19, 2020
You mean they shouldn’t mind BUHARI’s Federal Government?

Are they crazy? How dare they disregard and disrespect the old general?

Intact... amotekun must be proscribed ASAP

Chief Justice of BUHARI please do the needful
Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by saaron(m): 3:31pm On Jan 19, 2020
No true Nigerian is against Nigerians defending themselves except terrorist invaders from Futajalon.
Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by Iamgrey5(m): 3:31pm On Jan 19, 2020
Osagyefo98:

If you know my community well, you will realize there is no way herdsmen will enter both through roads or lands. We can't have such experience here.

I am a pure Democrat and I don't overlook my fellow comrades at arms.

Amotekun is highly Illegal. The year has never gone far for us to start training terrorist.

If MURIC can come and said that Amotekun are all targeted at Igbos, Ebira, Itshekiri, Hausas etc then it calls for concern

Prof Akintola Ishaq made this statement and he is a highly revered stakeholder in yorubaland.
I don't know Prof Akintola is your new Supreme leader that can do no wrong, it seems you have already accepted your faith as Herdsmen new play toy sooner than expected. You now see Akintola as the truth himself. cheesy

Regardless of that fact, please don't make the Fulani angry with the bolded statement, be a true Democrat and allow them rape your women and maim your men.
Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by Iamgrey5(m): 3:34pm On Jan 19, 2020
Osagyefo98:

I am now an object of discuss.

Well I am a pure and committed Democrat , so freedom of speech remains your right.
No problem bruv, but their means of communication are bullets and matches not words.

Hence, I hope they would have a decent conversation with you grin
Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jan 19, 2020
Iamgrey5:
I don't know Prof Akintola is your new Supreme leader that can do no wrong, it seems you have already accepted your faith as Herdsmen new play toy sooner than expected. You now see Akintola as the truth himself. cheesy

Regardless of that fact, please don't make the Fulani angry with the bolded statement, be a true Democrat and allow them rape your women and maim your men.

No time for long and extenede talk on impossibilities.

Akintola made sense and has valid points in his submission.

Why targeting non natives instead of working on merit.

It seems you guys now want to fully empower yourselves to do same thing MC Oluomo did last election.

Too bad.
Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jan 19, 2020
Iamgrey5:
No problem bruv, but their means of communication are bullets and matches not words.

Hence, I hope they would have a decent conversation with you grin

Our r/ship has never rosy compared theirs with you guys.

That settles it.
Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by saaron(m): 3:42pm On Jan 19, 2020
hisgrace090:
In this issue fg is alone.
Or rather the fulanis in position of authority are alone. Govt of Nigeria is the people and the people of Nigeria make up the govt.
The fulanis who happen to be migrant minorities are in it all alone.
Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by Iamgrey5(m): 3:43pm On Jan 19, 2020
Osagyefo98:

No time for long and extenede talk on impossibilities.

Akintola made sense and has valid points in his submission.

Why targeting non natives instead of working on merit.

It seems you guys now want to fully empower yourselves to do same thing MC Oluomo did last election.

Too bad.

Precisely my point, Akintola is now your new voice of reasoning synonymous with how radio Biafra feeds your obsession for falacy. However, since Kanu is no longer interested in going down that route Akintola is your new guy.

I really admire your willingness to bend to the will of your alleged oppressors just continue living in your alternate universe cheesy

It's something to behold. ! cheesy
Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jan 19, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Precisely my point, Akintola is now your new voice synonymous with radio Biafra that feeds your obsession for falacy since Kanu is no longer interested in going down that route.

I really admire your willingness to bend to the will of your alleged oppressors just continue living in your alternate universe cheesy

It's something to behold. ! cheesy

Bend whatgrin

As a democracts, any day the rule of law is been violated pains me a lot.

Let SW took the right step and stop been smart by half Abeg.
Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by SpecialAdviser(m): 4:14pm On Jan 19, 2020
I have had a lot of people asking why this Amotekun has been giving the north sleepless nights. It shows how shallow many Nigerians understand Nigerian politics. In fact let me try to explain something to them. May be they will start understanding Nnamdi Kanu better.

The north contribute very little to Nigerian economic development and would wait for proceeds from Niger Delta oil in order to carry out developmental projects. This is the core cause of Nigerian civil war. Abuja, Kano and other major cities in the north was built solely from oil proceeds.

Suffice is to say that everywhere in the world, oil is not found in every nook and crannies of a country. So Nigeria is not an exception to that simple logic.

But the issue with Nigeria is that the north refuses justice to other parts of Nigeria. Years of military rule refuses tangible project in other parts of the country. And a military channel was put in place to make sure no resistance exists anywhere from Nigeria. This is why you see them colonizing every military and para military organizations. Same reason Obasanjo retired many top military officers of northern origin to wither their influence.

The north fears any resistance that can cause break up and deny them the free flow of Niger Delta oil. The issue is that their mentality of subjugation has caused them big problem managing Nigerian unity. Their notorious nature have even caused a big split within the north itself as many minority northerners have become wiser now. Look at statement from TY Danjuma.

The coming to power by Buhari has escalated this mentality. Fact is that the fear of such subjugations which was evident in Buharis pre election statements caused Igbos to be on the alert resulting to what seemed like a hatred from the Igbos. People like Nnamdi Kanu cashed on this animosity and gained a lot of followership.

The north is always afraid of Nigerian break up but has failed to make Nigeria a country for all.
Im sure America has this intelligence and with the growing hatred they have in the north, we may expect break up earlier than expected.

I would advice Igbos investing so much outside Igboland to think twice before such investments. The future of this country is gloomy and you cannot afford to lose most of your belongings yet again to other Nigerians.

Except divine intervention, the country may have serious issues sooner than expected.
Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by Racoon(m): 4:16pm On Jan 19, 2020
The core northern Nigeria have held this nation spelt bound with irresponsible leadership and ethno-religious indifference with its attendant ills for so much a long time.Now a movement is brewing up.

When the Buhari govt was loading his regime with incompetent core hausa-fulani muslims military & para- military security agents, so many ignorant fellas dismissed it that he can use people he trust.So has these people improved the security situation? Hell no!

Were it the case, then there wouldn't have been any need for the "Amotekun" complementary security initiative.
Guess most of these same people then said Nigeria's unity is non-negotiable? VP Osinbajo & other Yorubas in the APC govt, speak up to be counted.
Re: Operation Amotekun: Ignore FG, Jemibewon, Oyinlola, Others Tell Govs by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jan 19, 2020
sarrki:
thanks for this comment

(1) (Reply)

State Commissioner Vs House Of Assembly Vs LGA Chairman / Blind Mourning: Is This A Part Of The Problem? / Edo Poll: “I Need Your Prayers To Resist Some ‘forces’,” Obaseki Begs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.