Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,468 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:52 PM

Fear Of Failure Almost Led To Suicide, But A Timely Intervention - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Fear Of Failure Almost Led To Suicide, But A Timely Intervention (705 Views)

The Fear Of Failure Could Become Failure Itself / URGENT: A Timely Advice To Young Women / What Led To The Greatest Flogging You Received As A Kid?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fear Of Failure Almost Led To Suicide, But A Timely Intervention by tenderjunkie: 4:44am On Jan 20, 2020
Hi everyone, I’m Richard and I’m going to share my experience on how I was nearly pushed over the edge by the fear of failure.

It was a week to Christmas and the Harmattan season was in full swing. Hot and dusty afternoon and I was alone in the house. I had just completed a diploma in a University which was expected to grant me direct entry into the University depending on the outcome of my result. I had my friends on campus who would help me check and I was waiting for their feedback.

I know I hadn’t done badly in the exams, but I knew I could have done better, so I needed all the luck I could get. I was a nervous wreck when the call finally came in, and for an instant, I felt mocked by my friends at the other side of the call. Well, I was told my name wasn’t on the list. Yeah! In clearer terms, I had failed the exams and wasn’t going to be admitted by the University.

Instantly, I felt weightless and heavy at the same time. I couldn’t do anything other than to lie down. One thing was clear to me though, I COULD NOT FAIL! The fear of failure had so many consequences I was never going to be able to face

I was roughly 16 years old when I was admitted into the diploma programme offered by the University. I had just completed my secondary school education but didn’t secure admission for a degree programme in a University, so I was going to find an alternative. The diploma programme would run for a year, with the lectures being held in the University campus. But as we weren’t fully recognized students, living on campus wasn’t a part of the deal. So my 1 year precarious admission into the University started out with me living off campus.

You see, it was a non-guaranteed admission, but i never really considered that, and in my defense, I don’t think others in the programme did anyway. It was a total package living away from home in your own apartment, having lectures only thrice in a week and surrounded by young minds looking to explore. Those were fun days!
I made lots of friends, engaged in all manner of discussions, had sleepovers, and well, I even got myself a girlfriend. The icing on the cake, right? Young me, pretty girlfriend, spending my parent’s money, freedom of movement, what was there not to enjoy?

One year went by pretty quickly and I was confronted with the reality that my admission was not guaranteed. I’m sure you must have realized why failure wasn’t an option for me? How do I move on from the year I just had? How do I move on from a year of fun to whatever I’m about to experience? The University and where I lived with my parents where in different cities, so how do I keep up with my new girlfriend? If maybe I had kept a decent and low profile, I wouldn’t have had these thoughts, but this was my reality. How about my friends? I had just taken a step forward and three steps backwards. The shame was unimaginable. Up until now, I never pondered on the consequences of failing, but now, the fear of failure had become my reality. How about my parents? Christmas was a week away, how do I live in the same house with my parents and siblings knowing I failed? I was broken! I wasn’t sure I wanted to live and experience the shame. I just lay down, thinking of the best ways to not experience shame.

My elder brother returned home and walked into the room. “What’s going on?” he asked. “Why are you lying down all covered up in this hot weather?” I broke the news to him, and as though an angel had heard my thoughts and knew what I had in mind to do to myself, my brother spoke bullish words of encouragement. I wasn’t relieved and my shame didn’t go away, but I saw things a bit differently. Differently not in terms of avoiding the shame, but differently in terms of approaching the shame with a tough mindset.

He ensured I stood up and he took me out to get burgers. Later in the day, I found the courage to tell my parents the sad news, how I had wasted a whole year. They weren’t as mad I anticipated which surprised me a lot. Well, after a week, I traveled down to the University to check the list for myself and it turned out my name was on it. How my friends missed it still baffles me, I’m only thankful to this day that my brother walked into the room and spoke the right words to me. I don’t even want to imagine my reaction if he had condemned me.

Visit www.tenderjunkie.com

4 Likes

Re: Fear Of Failure Almost Led To Suicide, But A Timely Intervention by TheSourcerer: 8:09am On Jan 20, 2020
Jesus nipples !
Re: Fear Of Failure Almost Led To Suicide, But A Timely Intervention by tenderjunkie: 10:19am On Jan 20, 2020
TheSourcerer:
Jesus nipples !
Don't get
Re: Fear Of Failure Almost Led To Suicide, But A Timely Intervention by TheSourcerer: 11:44am On Jan 20, 2020
tenderjunkie:

Don't get
nipples belonging to Jesus Christ

1 Like

Re: Fear Of Failure Almost Led To Suicide, But A Timely Intervention by tenderjunkie: 12:13pm On Jan 20, 2020
TheSourcerer:
nipples belonging to Jesus Christ
Abeg try dy comot the seed next time grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Fear Of Failure Almost Led To Suicide, But A Timely Intervention by TheSourcerer: 12:42pm On Jan 20, 2020
tenderjunkie:

Abeg try dy comot the seed next time grin grin grin
yes sir
Re: Fear Of Failure Almost Led To Suicide, But A Timely Intervention by tenderjunkie: 1:09pm On Jan 20, 2020
TheSourcerer:
yes sir
Any comment on the post?

1 Like

Re: Fear Of Failure Almost Led To Suicide, But A Timely Intervention by tenderjunkie: 4:39pm On Jan 20, 2020
Re: Fear Of Failure Almost Led To Suicide, But A Timely Intervention by Abcruz(m): 7:07pm On Jan 20, 2020
Whatever you're going through suicide is never an option.

For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope: for a living dog is better than a dead lion.--Ecclesiastics 9:4

1 Like

Re: Fear Of Failure Almost Led To Suicide, But A Timely Intervention by tenderjunkie: 7:49pm On Jan 20, 2020
Abcruz:
Whatever you're going through suicide is never an option.

For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope: for a living dog is better than a dead lion.--Ecclesiastics 9:4
Thanks for your nice words.

It was an experience that happened in the past, and I decided to share it for my blog
Re: Fear Of Failure Almost Led To Suicide, But A Timely Intervention by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jan 20, 2020
I know a 3rd class student cashing out. I never understood why people would kill themselves over grades when there is business that requires not too much formal education.

2 Likes

Re: Fear Of Failure Almost Led To Suicide, But A Timely Intervention by iamharkinwaley: 11:30pm On Jan 20, 2020
You write well OP

2 Likes

Re: Fear Of Failure Almost Led To Suicide, But A Timely Intervention by Lamanii22(f): 11:45pm On Jan 20, 2020
Imagine!!.. Suicide is never an option.... May the lord comfort those that are depressed... Op I'm really happy that you never committed suicide...

2 Likes

Re: Fear Of Failure Almost Led To Suicide, But A Timely Intervention by tenderjunkie: 6:07am On Jan 21, 2020
pcguru1:
I know a 3rd class student cashing out. I never understood why people would kill themselves over grades when there is business that requires not too much formal education.
Very true
Re: Fear Of Failure Almost Led To Suicide, But A Timely Intervention by tenderjunkie: 6:07am On Jan 21, 2020
iamharkinwaley:
You write well OP
Thanks
Re: Fear Of Failure Almost Led To Suicide, But A Timely Intervention by tenderjunkie: 6:08am On Jan 21, 2020
Lamanii22:
Imagine!!.. Suicide is never an option.... May the lord comfort those that are depressed... Op I'm really happy that you never committed suicide...
Amen. And I'm glad I didn't aswell

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

. / Beautify Your Homes; Starting From #1500 / Oversleeping: What Happens When You Sleep Too Much?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.