Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,462 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:43 PM

Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice (24044 Views)

See The Local Rice I Purchased At 800 Naira Per Mudu In Birnin Kebbi (photo) / Fisayo Soyombo's Nigerian Local Rice Tweet: Nigerians Blast Him / Which Nigerian Local Rice Brand Is The Best ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by maasoap(m): 3:45pm On Jan 21, 2020
mfm04622:

Please note importation of foreign rice is not banned! Anyone can import rice through the seaports. As long as they pay correct duty on the rice

Wrong info. Importation of rice like some other specific items (about 40 of them) are permanently banned from entering Nigeria. Not just through the land borders but also through seaports and airports. You can't legitimately import rice into the country as at today.
Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by Wickedtruths: 3:49pm On Jan 21, 2020
phr0nesis:
The local rice I eat here is stone-free but it's sticky

Parboil and drain. Do this twice and add plenty water before finally getting done.

Once done, drain the excess water in a sieve and pour the rice back in the pot let the fire lick the remaining water.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by brownsug(f): 3:55pm On Jan 21, 2020
[quote author=bernf16 post=85977376]...try and keep the rice inside a refrigerator, see it turns pink in colour...
nairaland people sabi finish person, anytime i want to laugh, i just go to peoples comment....lol
Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by bigtt76(f): 4:05pm On Jan 21, 2020
Is it that the rice processors are mixing sand+stones in the processed rice or what? angry me nor understand again o

dre11:

https://thenationonlineng.net/concern-over-low-quality-of-local-rice/
Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by Reeb2244: 4:06pm On Jan 21, 2020
Dozie32:
Foreign rice neat, but local rice sweet pass.. The choice is all yours.
Which your local rice sweet pass foreign rice? Stop that lie.

1 Like

Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by phr0nesis(m): 4:11pm On Jan 21, 2020
Wickedtruths:

Parboil and drain. Do this twice and add plenty water before finally getting done.

Once done, drain the excess water in a sieve and pour the rice back in the pot let the fire lick the remaining water.
Alright thanks. I'll try this and see if it works. If it doesn't, I'm coming to back for you grin
Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by tityboi: 4:23pm On Jan 21, 2020
Hmmm
Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by Wickedtruths: 4:28pm On Jan 21, 2020
phr0nesis:

Alright thanks. I'll try this and see if it works. If it doesn't, I'm coming to back for you grin

Lol. Okay.
Try it and let me have your feedback.

1 Like

Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by Cousin9999: 4:37pm On Jan 21, 2020
I wouldn't be surprised if foreigners are sabotaging the local rice industry. Even locals have reason to sabotage it because they stand to make more money. Local interests need to be protected with a gun. Sheesh.

1 Like

Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jan 21, 2020
Why is there so much stone in local rice, so annoying picking all that stone.
Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jan 21, 2020
mfm04622:

Please note importation of foreign rice is not banned! Anyone can import rice through the seaports. As long as they pay correct duty on the rice
import duties you mean.
Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by mfm04622: 6:37pm On Jan 21, 2020
maasoap:

Wrong info. Importation of rice like some other specific items (about 40 of them) are permanently banned from entering Nigeria. Not just through the land borders but also through seaports and airports. You can't legitimately import rice into the country as at today.

Always ask for more info when in doubt! Rice is NOT on the banned list because FG recognise that we don't produce enough rice to meet local demand. So they increase the duty to encourage local demand. The high duty make it lucrative to smuggle rice. Rice is NOT banned. It is the importation (smuggling really) through land borders that is banned

1 Like

Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by mfm04622: 6:40pm On Jan 21, 2020
olasaad:

I know my problem is how will our government not caring about what we eat. Very few of the so call local rice are safe for consumption most are dirty and full of stone's.

Lol!!!!

I have been eating local rice for 3 years now! Before it was fashionable to do so. I started with Lake rice. When I couldn't get Lake brand again, I tried others. I have only bought a bag with stone once! Just once! Look, if you were not told the rice is local, you won't know! Except you buy rice that is processed with crude local way.

2 Likes

Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by Empredboy(m): 6:40pm On Jan 21, 2020
mfm04622:

who told you that? Rice is ban every where.
Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by Dozie32(m): 7:08pm On Jan 21, 2020
Reeb2244:
Which your local rice sweet pass foreign rice? Stop that lie.

Abakaliki rice too sweet.
Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by Dozie32(m): 7:09pm On Jan 21, 2020
Enemyofpeace:
na those small small stones make am sweet o

Hahahahahah

Na so brother.. Lol grin grin
Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by Reeb2244: 8:23pm On Jan 21, 2020
undecided
Dozie32:

Abakaliki rice too sweet.
Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by powerblaze(m): 9:11pm On Jan 21, 2020
Went to a shop to buy rice.. when they show me the rice I lose appetite.. I ask for garri
Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by powerblaze(m): 9:24pm On Jan 21, 2020
I think the main problem with local rice is that it's not parboiled.. That's why it spoils easily and looks very different from foreign rice. Then the stone matter..
Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by Moneyboyz: 9:59pm On Jan 21, 2020
Hemanwel:
Last year, you said Atiku was too corrupt to be Nigeria's President; but you're considering BULLION VAN to be President in 2023.

Instead of BULLION VAN to become Nigeria's President in 2023, please and please, and please again, the north should hold on to power!!

My two cents.

All these hausa boys with fake moniker no go let person rest.
Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by maasoap(m): 10:09pm On Jan 21, 2020
mfm04622:

Always ask for more info when in doubt! Rice is NOT on the banned list because FG recognise that we don't produce enough rice to meet local demand. So they increase the duty to encourage local demand. The high duty make it lucrative to smuggle rice. Rice is NOT banned. It is the importation (smuggling really) through land borders that is banned

Oh Lord! Importation of rice is permanently banned through the land borders, seaports and airports. Some other items which I can get their list. Why do you custom officers are raiding stores to confiscate rice? There is nothing like smuggled and non smuggled imported rice.
Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by hybraheeem002(m): 10:14pm On Jan 21, 2020
Officialgarri:

De-stoning is #200 per 50kg bag
Abájọ tí stone dey full the rice.
They should set modalities in the sense that the local rice meets international standards before placing a ban on the foreign rice
Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by mfm04622: 4:30am On Jan 22, 2020
maasoap:

Oh Lord! Importation of rice is permanently banned through the land borders, seaports and airports. Some other items which I can get their list. Why do you custom officers are raiding stores to confiscate rice? There is nothing like smuggled and non smuggled imported rice.

Please prove your point and get the list
Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by kayyzz: 9:30am On Jan 22, 2020
SultanOfAbia:
One Bag of Local Rice is 80%stones and 20%rice
it's not true.
In the rice value chain, a lot have changed. There are a lot of improvements. I am a graduate, I studied applied ecology but now I am a farmer.
I produce paddy rice and also I am a seed farmer too.
I process and polish my products and sell too. Most times the proceeds from my farm don't meet the demands from customers, what I do is to buy from other farmers, process, polish, destone and sell. I sell 50kg and 25kg bags.
My rice is 100% stone free.
0 8 1 3 7 9 1 0 8 8 5 Whatsapp
0 8 1 1 1 7 2 4 5 5 5
You may contact me on whatsapp for videos and images of my product (including the type of machines I use)
My product is also like foreign rice. The only difference is that you may see few black grains because I don't have a colour sorter for now.
NB: the product will be shipped to you anywhere in the country.
Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by Suf20: 10:22am On Jan 22, 2020
50kg bag of rice at 16500
Stone free just like foreign rice, it not sticky
Nation wide delivery PM if you want to make order
Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by Zimzy(m): 2:46pm On Jan 22, 2020
Whenever I am eating local rice I chew with caution. If you don ever jamb stone you go understand
Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by ogbuefi677(m): 4:28am On Jan 23, 2020
maasoap:

Importation of rice was never and is not banned oga.
Learn something today.
Customs raid up n down but they only confiscate those who can't produce evidence of payment of duty which is what happens 99% of the times,cos most of the rice is smuggled in thru the land borders without payment of duty,after govt slammed a very high duty on foreign rice to make it costly so as to stimulate local production.
As at today,importation is only banned thru land borders.
Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by bernf16(m): 10:26am On Jan 24, 2020
[quote author=brownsug post=85989912][/quote]

Sir, am a factual Nigerian!!! Do u prefer me send pics to u

The remnants i kept in the fridge, after some days turns from white to pink, and here you making jests over it...why can't you just be scientific about this for once...must u always laugh over Nairaland posts!!!

1 Like

Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by mabebe1(f): 12:54pm On Jan 24, 2020
bernf16:
...try and keep the rice inside a refrigerator, see it turns pink in colour...isnt that a sign of disaster?
Exactly what I noticed too......I kept cooked rice in the fridge for some days but due to phcn and there unstable power supply.......some grains turned pink/purple.....what do u think is the cause?
Re: Concern Over Low Quality Of Local Rice by bernf16(m): 5:18am On Mar 10, 2020
Have u experienced this bfor? am not on nairaland for crack-jokes Sir!!!

[quote author=brownsug post=85989912][/quote]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cheapest Soup / Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator / Man Says He Found Black Spots On Pure Bliss Wafer Biscuits, Raises Alarm (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.