Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,627 members, 7,813,066 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:13 AM

Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator (24074 Views)

10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die / some Cancer Causing Foods You Probably Eat Every Day / 4 Foods That Shouldn’t Be Kept In The Refrigerator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by ghettodreamz(m): 12:51pm On Jan 09, 2013
By: Hilary Meyer

What’s the best way to store vegetables to keep them at their freshest? If you only go to the grocery store once a week, like I do, you need to keep your produce stored properly to avoid ending up with a giant pile of bad veggies ready for the compost pile at the end of the week.

And as it turns out, the refrigerator is not the go-to storage unit for all your produce.

Find out which 5 types of produce you shouldn’t keep in your fridge in the slideshow above.

Tomatoes:

OK, a tomato is technically a fruit, but taste-wise, it’s closer to a vegetable. The fridge is not the ideal place to store tomatoes. Store them there and your perfect tomatoes turn into a mealy disappointment. They’ll still be good for cooking, but not the best for eating fresh. Instead store them on your counter (not in direct sunlight) and enjoy them when they’re ripe.

Basil:

Tomatoes and basil go well together on your plate and it turns out they have similar needs in the storage department too. Basil will do best if it’s stored on your counter and treated as you would fresh cut-flowers. A fresh bunch of basil can be stored for in a cup of water (change it every day or two) away from direct sunlight. Covering it loosely with a plastic bag will help keep it moist (but make sure the bag has an opening to allow for some fresh air to seep in).

Potatoes:

Potatoes like cool, not cold temperatures. They do best at around 45 degrees F, which is about 10 degrees warmer than the average refrigerator. Most of us don’t have a root cellar (a cool, dark place to store root vegetables like potatoes), so keeping them in a paper bag in a coolish spot (like a pantry) is best. Why paper? It’s more breathable then plastic so potatoes won’t succumb to rot as easily.

Onions:

Onions don’t come out of the ground with that protective papery skin. To develop and keep that dry outer layer, they need to be "cured" and kept in a dry environment like a pantry, which is not as damp as the refrigerator. Also, lack of air circulation will cause onions to spoil, as will storing them near potatoes, which give off moisture and gas that can cause onions to spoil quickly.

Avocados:

Avocados don’t start to ripen until after they’re picked from the tree. If you’re buying a rock-hard avocado, don’t store it in your refrigerator, as it slows the ripening process. On the other hand, if you have a perfectly ripe avocado that you’re not ready to use, storing it in the refrigerator may work to your advantage by prolonging your window of opportunity to use it before it becomes overripe.

http://www.kitchendaily.com/read/5-fresh-foods-you-shouldn%E2%80%99t-keep-your-refrigerator?icid=maing-grid7|aim|dl21|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D254295
Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jan 09, 2013
who keeps potatoes and onions in their fridge?

1 Like

Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by hermosa(f): 2:45pm On Jan 09, 2013
im hungry . grin
Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by CrazyMan(m): 2:45pm On Jan 09, 2013
Fresh pepper
Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jan 09, 2013
i keep my tomato in the freezer. it still taste and look fresh after cooking

4 Likes

Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by greatgod2012(f): 2:48pm On Jan 09, 2013
If not for conveniency's sake, i wonder which food is not best consumed in fresh form.

1 Like

Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jan 09, 2013
We know before,Next.
Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by ogochukwunasa1: 2:53pm On Jan 09, 2013
this is a new year'for seun to make more money
Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by ignis: 3:00pm On Jan 09, 2013
ItsModella: who keeps potatoes and onions in their fridge?
I wonder õoooº°˚˚°º
Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by fiscalcliff: 3:02pm On Jan 09, 2013
Storing onions in a fridge
So tomatoes can no longer be stored in a refrigerator
SMH at all this loony advice
Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jan 09, 2013
Lies!

Tomatoes dey kampe for fridge.
Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jan 09, 2013
Also fresh palm wine.

Mmanya nkwu na ngwo.

2 Likes

Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by Okijajuju1(m): 3:09pm On Jan 09, 2013
okpara ugo: Also fresh palm wine.

Mmanya nkwu na ngwo.

Nwokem!! Dont you dare say that!!!!! angry angry

abi you wan use ice cubes drink Nkwu?! Nna refridgerate that thing sharply!!!!!
Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by harlos: 3:11pm On Jan 09, 2013
ignis:
I wonder õoooº°˚˚°º
don't wonder dem they repete for here unless they won't say it
Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by nikkyshyne(f): 3:11pm On Jan 09, 2013
Well, I do embarassed.

I don't see the effect it has on onions. I notice that of potatoes. I sometimes put peeled potatoes in the fridge at night so that I don't waste anytime peeling in the morning to make breakfast.

I do notice the colour changes. That is it basically.
Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by sylve11: 3:14pm On Jan 09, 2013

U ofcos, lol. Onion inside fridge, very funny! grin cool
Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jan 09, 2013
executinal:
Okija your case no get cure this time grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by Lakayana: 3:16pm On Jan 09, 2013
I don't know about onion but potatoes keep fresh longer in the fridge.
Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by konn: 3:17pm On Jan 09, 2013
yes thats true also banana
Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by KDULAR: 3:23pm On Jan 09, 2013
Wrong, tomatoes rots faster when placed in the refrigerator.
Logicboy03: Lies!

Tomatoes dey kampe for fridge.

Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by Obinnau(m): 3:28pm On Jan 09, 2013
nikkyshyne: Well, I do embarassed.

I don't see the effect it has on onions. I notice that of potatoes. I sometimes put peeled potatoes in the fridge at night so that I don't waste anytime peeling in the morning to make breakfast.

I do notice the colour changes. That is it basically.
the color changes with the potatoes are normal.
Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jan 09, 2013
KDULAR: Wrong, tomatoes rots faster when placed in the refrigerator.

Your tomatoes are fake. wink

1 Like

Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by nikkyshyne(f): 3:34pm On Jan 09, 2013
Obinnau: the color changes with the potatoes are normal.
You see. Meaning no big deal refrigerating these items undecided
Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jan 09, 2013
I even see people keep apples and bananas and oranges in the refrigerator shocked shocked shocked

But a good vegetable that does great in the fridge is plantain
Boy
They will last eh
If you buy ripe plantain and don't want them to turn rotten before you finish them,just put them in the drawer of your fridge
It will arrest the development and it can last up to 3 weeks
The outside may look black but the inside will still be good
Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jan 09, 2013
So people store tomatoes for long?
What for?
Maybe those who like tomatoes in salads,I don't eat raw tomatoes
All my tomatoes turns to stew by the next day grin grin
Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by nikkyshyne(f): 3:38pm On Jan 09, 2013
@babyosisi you are right about the plantain. Correct!

1 Like

Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by Okijajuju1(m): 3:40pm On Jan 09, 2013
babyosisi: I even see people keep apples and bananas and oranges in the refrigerator shocked shocked shocked

But a good vegetable that does great in the fridge is plantain
Boy
They will last eh
If you buy ripe plantain and don't want them to turn rotten before you finish them,just put them in the drawer of your fridge
It will arrest the development and it can last up to 3 weeks
The outside may look black but the inside will still be good

HUH!!!!??!

Are you sure about this?!

I thought it was the other way round... Naija ripe plantain inside fridge will first turn black over night and start rottening in 48 hrs of refridgeration...

2 Likes

Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jan 09, 2013
Okija_juju: [b]Okro...

...thanks for given me a good laugh
Re: Fresh Foods You Shouldn't Keep In Your Refrigerator by Obinnau(m): 3:49pm On Jan 09, 2013
nikkyshyne: You see. Meaning no big deal refrigerating these items undecided
not entirely true really, cos refridgeration only inhibits the action of microbes hence, its advisable to atleast keep a little bit better than how its supposed to be when not refridgerated.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Man Says He Found Black Spots On Pure Bliss Wafer Biscuits, Raises Alarm (Video) / Mr Biggs' Fried Rice / Where Can I Get Brown Rice In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.