Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,925 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:05 PM

The Honeymoon Ended Too Soon: Lampard And Chelsea - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Honeymoon Ended Too Soon: Lampard And Chelsea (186 Views)

It's Too Soon To Settle On Zoning - Tinubu Talks On 2023 Decisions / Honeymoon At Federal Palace Hotel / Photos: "I Am African. I Am Real" - Nigerian Couple Spend Honeymoon In The Villa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Honeymoon Ended Too Soon: Lampard And Chelsea by walldoy(m): 12:12am On Jan 22, 2020
I've always been of the opinion that every newly appointed Manager enjoys a 'honeymoon period' - a period where whatever he does is correct, whatever he touches turns to hold and whoever he plays, he wins. Some have an extended honeymoon period, others don't (take the case of Jose Mourinho at Tottenham).

For example, let's take a look at Ole Gunnar Solksjaer when he first arrived at Manchester United, they were tearing teams apart, every player, all of a sudden, was performing to levels they never reached before and the fans were all happy and jubilant. Well, they - the Manager and Fans alike - were all thrown back into reality after that eventful night in Paris and seeing this happened, I couldn't help but declare within myself that the honeymoon period had expired. Similar scenes are playing out right now at Arsenal and Everton where I can effectively say that these Managers are still in their honeymoon period.

But for Lampard and Chelsea, the honeymoon ended too soon. Chelsea appointed Frank Lampard at the start of the season with high hopes and expectations and the first few matches he managed didn't cut it, then all of a sudden bang, everything they touched seemed to turn to gold. After the loss to Liverpool on the 22nd of September 2019, they went on a six-match unbeaten run in the Premier League whilst also holding the fort in the champions League notably with victories over Ajax and Valencia. Then came the loss to Manchester City on the 23rd of November 2019, a game in which the lead at one point before being pegged back by the blue men from Manchester.

Ever since then, they've never really recovered, losing 5 and drawing two of the 11 matches they played from that point till now.

Looking at the Arsenal match, they always seemed to have the upper hand in the game and fortune even favoured them with the David Luiz red card but as nothing is ever really sure in football, they went on to draw with 10-man Arsenal.

This season in the Premier League, statistics show that they are performing very good overall and are currently fourth on the table winning 52% of their matches. On average, Chelsea score 1.7 goals and conceded 1.3 goals per match. 57% of Chelsea's matches this season ended with both teams scoring and this inability to keep clean sheets has continually clock the wheel of progress of Lampard and his boys. Recently their transfer ban was lifted and if they are to face the harsh hands of reality they've got to take care of an obvious problem, which is their defence.

(1) (Reply)

Kaduna-zaria Highway: Police Kill 2 Bandits, Rescue 20 Victims / Seeking For Investors In My Fish Farm Of 12years (45% Interest Payback / Students Drag Their Classmate To School After He Refused To Attend Classes(photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.