Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,878 members, 7,821,052 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:29 AM

Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked (46848 Views)

ABUAD Student Fights His Lecturer For Trying To Seize His Phone / ABUAD Removed From Webometric Ranking For Bad Practice / ABUAD Beats Covenant University; Ranks As Best Private University In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked by edoairways: 4:32pm On Jan 23, 2020
Mires:

Thanks for the commendation
Mires well done

1 Like

Re: Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked by Roadtoyesterday: 4:33pm On Jan 23, 2020
aod1:
it's cos of fake professors like her that you chose to spell "thought" as "taught".

Welcome we've seen your experience in linguistic..... This is not a formal gathering, 10,000 have seen and passed since they can understand what I meant.
Re: Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked by edoairways: 4:35pm On Jan 23, 2020
Mires Has answered all we seek well done

1 Like

Re: Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked by edoairways: 4:43pm On Jan 23, 2020
MyVILLAGEpeople:

Is our work oooo grin grin
grin grin
Re: Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked by Legendguru: 5:07pm On Jan 23, 2020
Oh
Re: Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked by pmoye(m): 6:46pm On Jan 23, 2020
Spot on.
That's one of the main points. Why should appointments such as this be handed over to individuals with tainted record? This has nothing to do with her personality but everything to do with sanity in the system. The survival of a nation depends on building a strong system that prioritizes merit... And the place of the media is bring things that could have been given a political treatment to the glare of the public. Perhaps, just perhaps, those that hope in the future to ascend to high offices will learn how to sanitize their actions and maintain a clean hand...
She was dismissed for charges bordering on financial misconduct; these are grave issues, and she ought to have appealed and fought these allegations back in 2016 instead of now seeking to change the narrative through the backdoor because of the governor's appointment.

Let our leaders learn to do due diligence before haphazardly appointing just anyone to offices.

If we go through our news you will find out that controversial appointments like this are not new. This should change.

honey930:
Well, as a lecturer, I get appalled with this type of people that "work" the system. But am I surprised? No.

For those of you wondering why she still became a Commissioner in Ogun State despite a tainted CV? You need to find out the ”purported" qualification of the current State Governor Abiodun and you'll realize that they are "same 'ol same".

During the campaign periods, I watched on Channels TV when the Governor's university qualification was put on the spot. He was stammering. Couldn't say exactly what he studied and the degree obtained. That is the sad trend in Nigeria. People of questionable character are in POWER.
Re: Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked by ezras: 7:10pm On Jan 23, 2020
I don't know whether our politicians don't do background checks on their appointees. Kemi Adeosun and now Sidi Osho. What's happening to our system

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked by Zodiac61(m): 8:20pm On Jan 23, 2020
The poster wrongly assumes that you need a Ph.d to become a professor. You don't.
Re: Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked by asunmoGGMU(m): 10:29pm On Jan 23, 2020
Zodiac61:
The poster wrongly assumes that you need a Ph.d to become a professor. You don't.

In Nigeria, you actually need PhD as part of the requirements to become a professor:

- PhD in a relevant area of specialization; from a licensed university; and accredited course of study (for medical scientist, a professional fellowship can be accepted in lieu of PhD).

- Teaching in a university or other tertiary institution.

- Twelve years experience that may span through Lecturer 2, Lecturer 1, Senior Lecturer and Associate Prof positions. This means three years each in these cadres. Some just add up the twelve years without considering the number of years spent on each cadre.

- Assessment by professors from same field.

I think these are all I can remember for now. A Nigeria university, statutorily won't give professors without all these. You can become a professor after only five years after your PhD in SA, I know that. After getting it, you can come back to the country to claim your professorship and they will employ you as one. However, they won't give you same privilege of "accelerated" avenue/guidelines as SA. The guidelines are different. There are lot of nuances in this thing tho. It isn't that simplistic.

1 Like

Re: Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked by lumiday(m): 11:21pm On Jan 23, 2020
victorjoe:

This is damn serious! I learnt there is now a biscuit too. Once you chew it you become high. And all these small small girls are even the ones patronizing these drugs

naso o
Re: Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked by Mires: 9:27pm On Jan 24, 2020
pmoye:
I will try to make this brief.
The reaction against the Op partly shows the level of gender bias entrenched in our society in Nigeria. If the person of interest in that article had been a man, I am sure the reaction would have been different. Many of those commenting would have used the opportunity to take a swipe at ally university lecturers as being sex-starved depraved and incompetent human specimens. But because she is a woman, let us cut her some slack. Right?

This is not about Sidi Osho. I have taken the time and made the effort to investigate her academic and work history, and from what I have gathered so far she remains the best VC that ever worked at ABUAD. In fact rumour has it that she had to leave ABUAD because of her no-nonsense and sensible stance that some power-that-be in the institution did not feel comfortable with. We can not take this away from her. And yes, there is no law preventing a senior lecturer from being appointed the VC of a university. Few years ago a University in the North had a lecturer with a Dr title as the Acting Vice Chancellor. So those that are trying to insinuate that this post was done for an ulterior motive can now change their mind.

I also recommend that those commenting should take the time to read the Punch article attached instead of simply commenting without knowing the full gist of the matter.

I did this post to stimulate a debate, a healthy debate. And No, I am not going to start mentioning names of other academic staff members across Nigerian private universities (especially) that have been unduly promoted to the professorial cadre. We have individuals that are now readers (a professorial cadre) in different private universities who had graduated with third class, and had scored lower than PhD-grade in their MSc, and have failed to obtain a PhD degree, but yet have been promoted to the professorial cadre. You can not make the Wole Soyinka argument for individuals like this. Wole Soyinka and other appointments like him are in the exemption and not the rule, and it is purely because of their unmistakable achievements in their areas of practice. This is completely against the practice in some Nigerian universities that the initial post was intended to stimulate a discourse on.

PhD is not just a title, it is a testament to dedication, discipline and experience in the field an academic has chosen to teach and profess. And yes, certain (few) individuals that have attained this same and more level of experience in the field can be on their merit be elevated to a professorial level though without a PhD but with more than the PhD programme was designed to instill. Now what happens when we arbitrarily circumvent this training and elevate individuals who are not deserving to the post they occupy? What happens to the graduates they produce? What happens to the productivity and contribution to national building of our universities? Your guess is as good as mine.

Please note: Sidi Osho has a PhD and there is nothing wrong about her becoming a VC or being returned to her former post when she returned to her old school. But upon her dismissal, it is morally wrong for a sitting governor to appoint her as a commissioner. And then for the shameful lobbying for the reversal of the dismissal that ensued the moment the governor appointed her. That singular dismissal should have disqualified her from that appointment in a saner clime.

No one sponsored this post. We Nigerians should stop taking sides with what is wrong. We keep complaining that merit is being trampled by the public office holders and that corruption is rife, while some Nigerians have lost their ability to judge an issue without revealing innate corrupt tendencies in their heart.
God bless Nigeria.
And read the Punch news piece before commenting.

Sir, I want to quickly point out some lapses in your submission.

1.You did mention that some academics had Third Class in their first degree, Second Class Lower and couldn't make PhD grade at MSc level, and are now professors in some private Universities.

There's no law that says that one with the above grades can't further or becomes a professor anywhere in the world. Are you saying in a situation where someone who graduated with MPhil/PhD grade, or MPhil at MSc level and get enrolled for MPhil before progressing to PhD, or is enrolled for MPhil/PhD and successful meet the requirements for the award of PhD, such a fellow shouldn't be promoted to the rank of professor? Common!

In today's Nigeria, no one without PhD is promoted to the rank of a reader not even a consultant with West African College of Surgeons certiification. You should rather say that the person is using fake PhD.
Re: Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked by Mires: 9:43pm On Jan 24, 2020
asunmoGGMU:

He is right bro. My understanding with NUC accreditation reports that I have partaken is that there are limits to the number of professors you can have in a Department. This is in relation to the number of faculty members in other cadres below them. This is to allow for balance and proper tutelage of those coming up. Do you know Graduate Assistants are not principally allowed to lead a course? The believe is that they are to be attached to a senior faculty that is qualified to lead the course, most times professors. With your submissions, I want to believe you understand the system. All these professors that the GAs are assigned to end up doing nothing in the course and leaving it all to the GAs.

Sir, NUC never said a faculty member who has met the requirements to be promoted to the rank of professor shouldn't be promoted because there are a lot of professors in the department. No!!!

NUC advises universities, for clarity, let me say departments to employ across levels in order to avoid vacuum as time progresses. NUC doesn't recognized GAs and ALs as lecturers given that they are not authority in the fields. However, it encourages their employment so that they can be trained for future tasks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked by asunmoGGMU(m): 10:25pm On Jan 24, 2020
Mires:

Sir, NUC never said a faculty member who has met the requirements to be promoted to the rank of professor shouldn't be promoted because there are a lot of professors in the department. No!!!

NUC advises universities, for clarity, let me say departments to employ across levels in order to avoid vacuum as time progresses. NUC doesn't recognized GAs and ALs as lecturers given that they are not authority in the fields. However, it encourages their employment so that they can be trained for future tasks.

You're not getting it. NUC won't tell you not to promote someone to professorial rank but will advise Department to fill up spaces if there are any. What I am saying is, there's ratio in the number of professors to GA&LAs. This is the same thing that person submitted that I buttressed. No point explaining this further bro.
Re: Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked by Zodiac61(m): 6:54pm On Jan 25, 2020
asunmoGGMU:

In Nigeria, you actually need PhD as part of the requirements to become a professor:

- PhD in a relevant area of specialization; from a licensed university; and accredited course of study (for medical scientist, a professional fellowship can be accepted in lieu of PhD).

- Teaching in a university or other tertiary institution.

- Twelve years experience that may span through Lecturer 2, Lecturer 1, Senior Lecturer and Associate Prof positions. This means three years each in these cadres. Some just add up the twelve years without considering the number of years spent on each cadre.

- Assessment by professors from same field.

I think these are all I can remember for now. A Nigeria university, statutorily won't give professors without all these. You can become a professor after only five years after your PhD in SA, I know that. After getting it, you can come back to the country to claim your professorship and they will employ you as one. However, they won't give you same privilege of "accelerated" avenue/guidelines as SA. The guidelines are different. There are lot of nuances in this thing tho. It isn't that simplistic.

Woke Soyinka did not and still does not have a Ph.d.
My Masters supervisor in the UK was a professor. He did not have a Ph.d and he supervised Ph.d students.
Re: Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked by asunmoGGMU(m): 8:34pm On Jan 25, 2020
Zodiac61:

Woke Soyinka did not and still does not have a Ph.d.
My Masters supervisor in the UK was a professor. He did not have a Ph.d and he supervised Ph.d students.

I don't know if you read to understand or just object.

Some of you will just hold on to a hoax as true. Prof. Wole Soyinka got his PhD from the University of Leeds. You can read here:

https://www.ui.edu.ng/uiicons/nobel/soyinka

Oga, we are not talking about the UK or any other country. We are talking about Nigeria. If you are pronounced as a professor in Nigeria without PhD, you've obviously circumvent the guiding principles. I'm talking as someone immersed in the Nigeria system, please.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked by pmoye(m): 12:22pm On Jan 27, 2020
No, I am saying that these individuals have not received the necessary training and degrees required for their grade categories. A poor undergraduate degree will require a PGD before masters. This they did not do. A poor MSc grade will require an MPhil either terminally or as MPhil PhD. This they have not done. Yet they were appointed by some universities as Senior Lecturers, Readers and all. And this is because their appointments are mostly based on lobbying and connections which is exactly what the educational system must neither have nor encourage.

I am sure bros you understand the implication of employing unqualified individuals in the educational sector. It has a negative domino effect on all other sectors in the country. The best way to destroy a country is to entrench mediocrity in its educational and training sector. I personally believe that it is these type of unqualified personnel in the university system that resort to the hideous sex-/money-for-grades practice. One will not expect an intellectually sound and academically disciplined individual who has embraced the teaching profession as a calling, to do these evil things. But someone employed without proper qualification will most likely perpetuate this tendency.

CAVEAT: This in no way supports the ridiculous trend and practice of delaying promotion to professorial cadre in our universities until when their lecturers are positively in their old age. This both evil, and malevolent and against national interest.

Mires:

Sir, I want to quickly point out some lapses in your submission.

1.You did mention that some academics had Third Class in their first degree, Second Class Lower and couldn't make PhD grade at MSc level, and are now professors in some private Universities.

There's no law that says that one with the above grades can't further or becomes a professor anywhere in the world. Are you saying in a situation where someone who graduated with MPhil/PhD grade, or MPhil at MSc level and get enrolled for MPhil before progressing to PhD, or is enrolled for MPhil/PhD and successful meet the requirements for the award of PhD, such a fellow shouldn't be promoted to the rank of professor? Common!

In today's Nigeria, no one without PhD is promoted to the rank of a reader not even a consultant with West African College of Surgeons certiification. You should rather say that the person is using fake PhD.
Re: Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked by Mires: 1:15pm On Jan 27, 2020
pmoye:
No, I am saying that these individuals have not received the necessary training and degrees required for their grade categories. A poor undergraduate degree will require a PGD before masters. This they did not do. A poor MSc grade will require an MPhil either terminally or as MPhil PhD. This they have not done. Yet they were appointed by some universities as Senior Lecturers, Readers and all. And this is because their appointments are mostly based on lobbying and connections which is exactly what the educational system must neither have nor encourage.

I am sure bros you understand the implication of employing unqualified individuals in the educational sector. It has a negative domino effect on all other sectors in the country. The best way to destroy a country is to entrench mediocrity in its educational and training sector. I personally believe that it is these type of unqualified personnel in the university system that resort to the hideous sex-/money-for-grades practice. One will not expect an intellectually sound and academically disciplined individual who has embraced the teaching profession as a calling, to do these evil things. But someone employed without proper qualification will most likely perpetuate this tendency.

CAVEAT: This in no way supports the ridiculous trend and practice of delaying promotion to professorial cadre in our universities until when their lecturers are positively in their old age. This both evil, and malevolent and against national interest.

Sir, I am still finding it difficult to appreciate how you got to know that they never "remedied" their poor grade. In today's Nigeria, there's a caveat by NUC that academics who have not acquired PhD shouldn't be elevated or promoted to SL. The much an academic with proven years of experience with MSc can get is L1.

In passing, you have to show evidence of your charges.
Re: Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked by pmoye(m): 3:05pm On Jan 27, 2020
Sir, you must understand that posting examples of such individuals who failed to 'remedy' their insufficient grade would be in bad taste. If I had no knowledge of actual individuals like this I would not have made the claim. But I do.

I also understand the stipulation that only PhD holder should be promoted to the SL grade, but this is often ignored by universities so as to get the right staff ratio required for accreditation, especially since lecturers in the senior cadre (Senior lecturer, Readers, Professors) are often unwilling to leave government institutions for private universities. Also partly because private universities are often not willing to match the remuneration of these cadres. And so a work around is to effect rapid promotion of their staff, and sometimes without a PhD, to the Senior Lecturer cadre. There are actual examples of individuals who have been so promoted based on their age.

Curiously NUC doesn't seem to be interested in vetting the qualifications of these different academic cadres during resource verification. This is a menace that NUC needs to sit up to curb in our academic institutions.

Mires:

Sir, I am still finding it difficult to appreciate how you got to know that they never "remedied" their poor grade. In today's Nigeria, there's a caveat by NUC that academics who have not acquired PhD shouldn't be elevated or promoted to SL. The much an academic with proven years of experience with MSc can get is L1.

In passing, you have to show evidence of your charges.

1 Like

Re: Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked by Mires: 3:59pm On Jan 27, 2020
pmoye:
Sir, you must understand that posting examples of such individuals who failed to 'remedy' their insufficient grade would be in bad taste. If I had no knowledge of actual individuals like this I would not have made the claim. But I do.

I also understand the stipulation that only PhD holder should be promoted to the SL grade, but this is often ignored by universities so as to get the right staff ratio required for accreditation, especially since lecturers in the senior cadre (Senior lecturer, Readers, Professors) are often unwilling to leave government institutions for private universities. Also partly because private universities are often not willing to match the remuneration of these cadres. And so a work around is to effect rapid promotion of their staff, and sometimes without a PhD, to the Senior Lecturer cadre. There are actual examples of individuals who have been so promoted based on their age.

Curiously NUC doesn't seem to be interested in vetting the qualifications of these different academic cadres during resource verification. This is a menace that NUC needs to sit up to curb in our academic institutions.

That's ridiculous in a country with many PhDs. Some are looking for jobs for years.
Re: Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked by pmoye(m): 7:45pm On Jan 27, 2020
I totally agree.

Mires:

That's ridiculous in a country with many PhDs. Some are looking for jobs for years.
Re: Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked by slickyjiggy: 9:43pm On Jan 30, 2020
A fall from grace
Re: Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked by Zodiac61(m): 10:53pm On Feb 23, 2020
asunmoGGMU:

I don't know if you read to understand or just object.

Some of you will just hold on to a hoax as true. Prof. Wole Soyinka got his PhD from the University of Leeds. You can read here:

https://www.ui.edu.ng/uiicons/nobel/soyinka

Oga, we are not talking about the UK or any other country. We are talking about Nigeria. If you are pronounced as a professor in Nigeria without PhD, you've obviously circumvent the guiding principles. I'm talking as someone immersed in the Nigeria system, please.

Your ignorance is so overwhelming it hurts.
A honorary Ph.D from Leeds University is not an academic degree.
Methinks UI is involved in some deception here.
Re: Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked by asunmoGGMU(m): 6:54pm On Feb 24, 2020
Zodiac61:

Your ignorance is so overwhelming it hurts.
A honorary Ph.D from Leeds University is not an academic degree.
Methinks UI is involved in some deception here.

And in the UK, you can use your honorary PhD to become a professor. There are professors in the UK with just bachelor's degree.

Do you know these?
Re: Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked by Nobody: 8:48pm On Feb 24, 2020
Do you need help in your research execution and data analysis using programs like Excel, SPSS, R, Python and more?

Speceria Enterprise is a place where you will get professional guidance from topic selection till submission.

We deliver accurately and flawlessly with a collection of seasoned experts to cater for any department/course.

Distance is no barrier
CALL Or WhatsApp✉✉ us on
Chidi :+2348067578848
Harmony:+2347038879440
Join our whatsapp group for more information
https:///IPIB8G5NYqS6c3bU7Egpfq
With us
�"you're covered "
Cos we got you covered
Re: Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked by Zodiac61(m): 9:59pm On Feb 24, 2020
asunmoGGMU:

And in the UK, you can use your honorary PhD to become a professor. There are professors in the UK with just bachelor's degree.

Do you know these?
Like I said, your ignorance is overwhelming.
Wole Soyinka did not earn a Ph.d. His Ph.d is a honorary one. He became a professor, live with it.
I told you my Masters supervisor was a professor. He did not have a Ph.d.
I do not know how much more I can say for you to understand my point.
Re: Sidi Osho: Professor & VC At ABUAD, Then Demoted To A Dr. At OOU. Then Sacked by asunmoGGMU(m): 5:42am On Feb 25, 2020
Zodiac61:

Like I said, your ignorance is overwhelming.
Wole Soyinka did not earn a Ph.d. His Ph.d is a honorary one. He became a professor, live with it.
I told you my Masters supervisor was a professor. He did not have a Ph.d.
I do not know how much more I can say for you to understand my point.

Guy, you're displaying crass ignorance and I am trying to proof to you just that by asking you those questions. Just answer my question and you will see how stupid you are to come on someone's mention to purge out vulgarity. But then, you're obviously unteachable.

Just get off my mention.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Share The Crazy Funny Things That Happened While In Boarding School / Is Lami Phillips Family The Owner Of Dowen College? / Identical Twins: Adegoke Taiye & Kehinde Graduate With First Class From UNIBADAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.