Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,979 members, 7,810,715 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:51 PM

Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? (40943 Views)

"If I Do Masters, Make I Bend" IMSU Student Laments On His Graduation Day. / Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option - Vincent Adeoba / The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Graduating With Second Class Lower (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by endy69: 7:54am On Jan 23, 2020
In UNN 3.0 is the minimum. I went enquiring with my cousin that had 2.84 but they declined and asked her to do PGD

1 Like

Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by AlphaStorm: 7:54am On Jan 23, 2020
NOC1:
Yea, Uni Lag accepts 2-2

Lie kee u there...!!!!
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by Brunicekid(m): 7:55am On Jan 23, 2020
StrikeBack:
Yes!

People do masters degrees with 2.2 from nigeria in first world countries..... not to talk of a shitty third world consuming country..

My point is

Education is dead in Nigeria
So, Nigeria is shitty what about you... A Shit

1 Like

Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by mutumina007: 7:55am On Jan 23, 2020
Gov Akeredolu Commissions New Access Bank Branch In Owo, Ondo State - Investment - Nairaland
https://www.nairaland.com/5646649/gov-akeredolu-commissions-new-access#86032938
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by Orgyte: 7:55am On Jan 23, 2020
yes Futo accepts lower credit, rush come there now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by inspector1(m): 7:56am On Jan 23, 2020
Bro all Nigeria University accept 2.2 for postgraduate study. Even unilag accept a friend with 2.67 for MPA.
Relax ur mind and prepare ur self for the program, your cpga is quite above nigeria University requirement for postgraduate study.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by victorazyvictor(m): 7:56am On Jan 23, 2020
laiza:
I think it is dependent on Course of study and School of choice. You can find out from department of Postgraduate Studies in such schools, when you make up your mind.

Zoology. grin
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by Starry321: 7:58am On Jan 23, 2020
EbizNazy:
I would like to know if it's possible to get admitted for Masters degree with a cpga of 2.96.
Yes you can.
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by AlphaStorm: 7:59am On Jan 23, 2020
EbizNazy:
I would like to know if it's possible to get admitted for Masters degree with a cpga of 2.96.

Op you can but bear in mind that most Federal Universities that accept 2.2 , accept strong 2.2 (3.0 CGPA and above). Most State universities do not place any requirements on CGPA but grade. U can try some state UNIs but am sure schools like UNILAG only accept 2.1 . OAU, UNILORIN,UI,UNN, andABU accepts 2.2 (typically 3.0 and above. U can try ur luck though). Admissions into PG programmes is usually based on availability of supervisors.
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by 12345baba(m): 8:01am On Jan 23, 2020
Which other country were u thinking if no be Nigeria?
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by dalass(f): 8:01am On Jan 23, 2020
ekestic1976:
University of Maiduguri can take you straight to the doctorate level with that kind of result and their fees are comparably low. For example, a 2-year Master course is only N25,000. Asking fees for Ph.D in any course for the whole length of study is not more than N75,000, including all handouts, feeding and hostel accommodation. They're really having it cool in Maiduguri.

As in Boko haram territory? grin

3 Likes

Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by symbianDON(m): 8:02am On Jan 23, 2020
what sort of question is this na nwokem? is second class lower now pass that you can't apply for masters degree again? nothing amotekun no go see for fulani hand.

7 Likes

Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by chalxdon(m): 8:06am On Jan 23, 2020
KayTash:
Most if not all universities in Nigeria give masters admission to candidates with 2.5 CGPA and above.
Not true.
Most Universities accept 2nd class lower (2.2) but with CGPA not less than 3.0.
However, few schools tend to lower theirs to 2.75 or thereabout to get candidates

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by money121(m): 8:08am On Jan 23, 2020
Yes

1 Like

Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by Lotusflowerbomb: 8:10am On Jan 23, 2020
EbizNazy:
Yes

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by Keenmind2019(m): 8:12am On Jan 23, 2020
EbizNazy:
Even with 3rd u can
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by ejimatic: 8:13am On Jan 23, 2020
EbizNazy:
Answer is YES.However it mist be a strong 2.2 not 2.01 or 2.11 but 2. 4 and above .Some universities will take 2.3. For PHD you need to have 60 %in your Masters course work before you can do PhdAll the one year Masters in universities are not academic masters for you cannot use them for your Phd.Only MA or MSC can be used for Phd if the possessor has a Phd grade.
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by KingAzubuike(f): 8:13am On Jan 23, 2020
AgentNairaland:
Why Not, Go To University Of Maiduguri They Even Accept Third Class
Kid, you and that ekestic1976 should stop shaming yourself.. the university of maiduguri used to be one of the best in the country and even competing with ABU in the North if not for the security problems they've been having for decades.

4 Likes

Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by larryking540: 8:14am On Jan 23, 2020
endy69:
In UNN 3.0 is the minimum. I went enquiring with my cousin that had 2.84 but they declined and asked her to do PGD
How many year's is pgd program
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by davidtemi(m): 8:15am On Jan 23, 2020
U can in every sch in d world.
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by Nobody: 8:16am On Jan 23, 2020
Bid u speed
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by endy69: 8:17am On Jan 23, 2020
larryking540:
How many year's is pgd program
About 1year.
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by laiza(m): 8:20am On Jan 23, 2020
victorazyvictor:

Zoology. grin
What was your course of study in BsC?
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by larryking540: 8:21am On Jan 23, 2020
endy69:

About 1year.

Okay ,it seems the program actually allows a person who didn't study BSc in education to be able to teach right ,
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by Lymasaba(m): 8:21am On Jan 23, 2020
ekestic1976:
University of Maiduguri can take you straight to the doctorate level with that kind of result and their fees are comparably low. For example, a 2-year Master course is only N25,000. Asking fees for Ph.D in any course for the whole length of study is not more than N75,000, including all handouts, feeding and hostel accommodation. They're really having it cool in Maiduguri.

Univesity of maiduguri is 3.0 minimum but with this his cgpa they can give him postgraduate diploma for 9month and then start his masters program, there tuition fee is ofcouse low around 80k for masters expct for courses that require expensive lab equip like pharmacy and engineering

3 Likes

Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by costandi(m): 8:22am On Jan 23, 2020
Come to UNN bro. But I can't guarantee when you would go.
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by Tsolutionifede(m): 8:22am On Jan 23, 2020
ekestic1976:
thanks bokoharam for this
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by NOC1(m): 8:28am On Jan 23, 2020
AlphaStorm:

Lie kee u there...!!!!

Why do you call me a liar over something you dont know?

if i am in your shoes, i would have gone to UNI Lag postgraduate site to confirm.
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by larryking540: 8:32am On Jan 23, 2020
endy69:

About 1year.

I have all I need about pgd ,,here if u would also like to know ,,,

One commonly used acronym relating to
postgraduate study is PGD. It simply means
Postgraduate Diploma. Hopefully, you are
used to M.phil, M.B.A and few others.

Postgraduate diploma (PGD) is an advanced
certificate, awarded by the school of
postgraduate studies of the respective
University (in Nigeria). A PGD is not a
degree per se. Then comes the question…..

WHY PGD ANYWAY?
A PGD serves more as a entry qualification
for a Masters degree programme. While
having a Bachelor degrees would suffice for
postgraduate admission, certain situations
warrant the need for a PGD.

Majorly, a PGD is needed when seeking
Masters admission to a specialization that
your is outside the scope of the Bachelors
degree. This means, it is possible to switch
course of study or career paths, without
restarting a new four/five years Bachelors
degree.

No matter your new fancy or interest. PGD
makes the switch possible and maybe
faster. Note didn’t say easier. Case in
point, bachelors graduate of chemistry, can
do a Masters in Chemical Engineering after
a postgraduate diploma PGD in Chemical
Engineering.

In addition, a PGD is needed if there was a
poor or below standard academic
performance. In this case, PGD is needed to
prove that the certain prerequisite grade.

Its is also needed to show that the student
can meet the intellectual demands of doing
the Masters degree of the course of study,
and the poor performance at previous
Bachelors degrees was probably due to
exigencies. Doing a PGD, serves as a
foundation programme in this respect. Many
Universities outside Nigeria called PGD,
Foundation Masters or Pre-Masters. They
all serve the same purpose.

In Nigeria in particular, PGD is required for
HND (Higher National Diploma) graduate by
some University before proceeding for a
Masters programme.

WHAT TYPE OF PGD SHOULD YOU STUDY
FOR?
The are PGD programmes in virtually every
course of study. But the most popular
seems to be the postgraduate diploma in
education (PGDE). This is necessary for all
who desire to be teachers at any level
(primary – university) but did not study
education. There are also PGD in
Journalism, PGD in Engineering, PGD in
some medical fields and PGD Business
Administration, Marketing, Finance,
Economics etc.

HOW LONG FOR A PGD?
Duration for a PGD programme depends on
specific schools. It ranges from a year to
two. The shortest time would not be less
than 9 months. The duration for a PGD is
also dependent types of study, full time,
part time, sandwish or distance learning. Do
note the unlike M.Phil. PGD is a terminal
programme, except in rare cases.
Admission for a Masters degree is not
automatic, and this prospective student
needs to apply formally.

Whatever your choices are, sure you are
better informed about what PGD is all
about.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by uuzba(m): 8:32am On Jan 23, 2020
Dukeolumidemans:
Omo look for way go outside and do any course u see even if na Animal Husbandry. Even if na Togo or Swaziland go. Our certificate no get meaning again... tongue

Hmm.
Animal Husbandry
Mid-Wifery
….
House-Girlry
Re: Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? by smartkester(m): 8:33am On Jan 23, 2020
possible02:
You will have to do post graduate diploma first to boast the gp ...then apply for masters
you lied bro, this isn't a third class. All Nigeria universities accept minimum of 2.2 for master's degree, the only thing that varies is the CGPA and I'm certain most schools aside OAU and UNILORIN accept minimum of 2.5. Don't dish wrong information next time. Even most UK universities accept 2.2 for MSC Degree

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

University Of Lagos Dli (distance Learning Institute) Results / What's The Secret To Success In JAMB? / Photo Of Overcrowded Lecture Hall In UNN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.