Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,862 members, 7,817,545 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:10 PM

I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? - Business (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? (65450 Views)

Please I Need A Loan Of 500k.i'll Drop My Personal House Document As Collateral / UPDATE ON I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan. / How To Obtain Loan Online In Nigeria With Alat App (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by etoete77: 5:01pm On Jan 23, 2020
Sorry you may loose your home. Seek the help of legal practioner.
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jan 23, 2020
eyinjuege:

Yes, he should have used common sense. Unfortunately, common sense is not common.
I was just being sarcastic talking about breaking family ties.
Imagine if the cousin had come on NL about his business proposal and that his best mate- the OP wanted to use his house as collateral to help hime, but OP's wife is blocking the transaction. What do you think the wife would have been called on here?
Enemy of progress, wicked woman grin.
This is simply another level kinda scam but I pray the op doesn't lose his house
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by johnsonpolice: 5:02pm On Jan 23, 2020
dalass:
angry
I pity you,that man will not pay that loan and you will be held responsible.
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by emmatuegbe(m): 5:03pm On Jan 23, 2020
My Brother. call for family meeting and escalate the matter to the hearing of everybody, otherwise, you will loose your house. He wants you, in order to redeem your house, you will cough out money to him to pay to the bank to save your house. As for your document, you cannot retrieve it, as this is the only collateral the bank has against the loan

2 Likes

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jan 23, 2020
wwwkaycom:
I gave my house documents to my cousin to take a bank loan of 3 million naira but I like to retrieve my documents back because of the way he and his wife have been doing things since October, 2019.

He is involved in sales of agrochemicals. He discussed with me on how profitable the business is but that he didn't really have money to put into it.

The wife lost her job in the bank and had to join him in the business. Being a close cousin and friend of mine, I gave out my house documents to him as collateral and the bank actually came to do some inspection in my house and I signed some documents.

The big issue now is that my cousin have not paid a dime back since August last year when he got the loan and between then and now he has done 3 parties that I'm sure gulped lots of money. The wedding of his younger sister in October, wedding of his brother in law in December and 40th birthday of his wife in January. These were serious lavish parties which I think could be done modestly.

I asked him on Monday about the loan and he said his moratorium will expire in February and there's no cause for alarm. This is different from what he told me before I released my documents, he said he will have gone far in repayment even before the expiration of moratorium. I reminded him about this but he said there is no problem about his ability to pay back since the business is lucrative.

I also discovered that one of our uncles actually borrowed him 2 million naira in 2017 which he hasn't paid back till now, he hasn't paid a dime back, I didn't do due diligence before releasing my documents to him.

Uncle told me yesterday that he would have discouraged me from giving out my documents if I had informed him before the loan was granted. Uncle also told me that he disagreed with him about his clubbing and partying lifestyles as a struggling businessman but that instead of appreciating his concern, he and his wife fought him and boasted his 2 million naira will be paid back before mid 2018 but till today he hasn't paid a dime. Hope I haven't shot myself in the leg with this help which I think I rendered to a friend and family?

The worst part of it is that my wife was not fully in support of my intention to help him then.

Where do I start from good people?

He promised to start paying by January ending, if he fail to do this, is it possible to break that bond and retrieve my documents from the bank? Can I tell him and the bank that I'm no longer interested in guaranteeing the loan? I'm afraid, kindly help.

This kind of foolishness is rare. I can't even use my house documents as collateral for personal loan let alone to give to someone else, no matter the closeness. What you did is not love at all, it is foolishness displayed in a greater measure. Possibly, you have many houses that's why you did that. Don't tell me you trusted him because trust is documented in transactions

3 Likes

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by tunize(m): 5:08pm On Jan 23, 2020
Houseofglam7:
A man's enemies are indeed members of his own household undecided
That is if u want it to be so. Who does such in this our generation, u gave ur huz to ur cousin as loan isn't it funny. If person even jaz meself i nor go do that kind favour.
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by sayisayi(m): 5:08pm On Jan 23, 2020
[quote author=Shibaraba post=86042038]Borrow only what you can afford to give.....

Ikenna. My favorite shirt and jeans plus car. Returned car. Shirt and jeans I no see

Think I know that Ikenna.....him get scar for face and have lisp abi?
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by tityboi: 5:08pm On Jan 23, 2020
Pay your loan and collect it back final. Money is thicker than blood
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by akan102: 5:10pm On Jan 23, 2020
Sorry to say this, but to tell you the truth "if you want to still be the owner of your house start thinking of how to pay the debt" best of luck
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by maasoap(m): 5:11pm On Jan 23, 2020
AwkaetitiBabe:
Pay for loan he didn't collect?

That's better than losing his house for loan he didn't collect. This is because the bank will sell the house far below the market value. I'm not sure if he can really raise such an amount as a government worker or if he can meet the repayments plan his cousin has with the bank, that would be better and more convenient. 3m naira plus interest of like 25% per annum!

2 Likes

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by nedekid: 5:11pm On Jan 23, 2020
ipledge6:
I don’t know why most Nigerians priorities Party over investment. Most Nigerians lack business management. Why in the fvcking world should someone use their capital and profit for party
Let me ask my wife, she is Yoruba and might have an answer. grin
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by DexterousOne(m): 5:11pm On Jan 23, 2020
when I say an average Nigerian is a demon in human flesh now
People will start talking

A society of people with no scruples, no morals and no principles.
A money worshipping carnal piece of $hitty people.

It's not about poverty; because I have been to much much poorer countries and communities
They are not like this.

The psyche of the average Nigerian needs change
And we need to raise a new generation of morally upriggt people

That said

The OP has gotten himself in a tight corner
YOu have to tread with caution here

3 Likes

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by Zephyr1: 5:12pm On Jan 23, 2020
fastseo:
cry who does this thing u did? Chai unless on a gun point...

Even if its blood brother. Even if I am the one.... My house for loan from Nigerian bank? Hell no..

If u can get his car my brother do it as fast as you can. From ur story he and his wife are on same league and planned work

Proverbs 6:1 - 2

My son, if thou be surety for thy friend, if thou hast stricken thy hand with a stranger,

Thou art snared with the words of thy mouth, thou art taken with the words of thy mouth.

Nice one. Here is the NLT rendition

My child, if you have put up security for a friend’s debt or agreed to guarantee the debt of a stranger— if you have trapped yourself by your agreement and are caught by what you said— follow my advice and save yourself, for you have placed yourself at your friend’s mercy. Now swallow your pride; go and beg to have your name erased. Don’t put it off; do it now! Don’t rest until you do. Save yourself like a gazelle escaping from a hunter, like a bird fleeing from a net.
Proverbs 6:1‭-‬5 NLT
https://bible.com/bible/116/pro.6.1-5.NLT

4 Likes

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jan 23, 2020
wwwkaycom:
The things I'm reading here terrifies me. I just called his elder brother who knows about the loan and how I assisted him. He said I should calm down, that he will first ask him if he has started paying and then tactically advise him to start paying as from January ending as he promised. He also advised that I shouldn't fight him.
Bro if you have the means to pay pls do. If bank takes over your property. 3M can't build that house now with this economy. Don't fight him, people are desperate, he could go fetish or go after your life.
May God ease your task
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by DexterousOne(m): 5:12pm On Jan 23, 2020
nedekid:

Let me ask my wife, she is Yoruba and might have an answer. grin

Yea

It's a national problem however
I'm an igbo Man, and I have aunties who are just as reckless lipsrsealed undecided

1 Like

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by West2019(m): 5:13pm On Jan 23, 2020
wwwkaycom:
I gave my house documents to my cousin to take a bank loan of 3 million naira but I like to retrieve my documents back because of the way he and his wife have been doing things since October, 2019.

He is involved in sales of agrochemicals. He discussed with me on how profitable the business is but that he didn't really have money to put into it.

The wife lost her job in the bank and had to join him in the business. Being a close cousin and friend of mine, I gave out my house documents to him as collateral and the bank actually came to do some inspection in my house and I signed some documents.

The big issue now is that my cousin have not paid a dime back since August last year when he got the loan and between then and now he has done 3 parties that I'm sure gulped lots of money. The wedding of his younger sister in October, wedding of his brother in law in December and 40th birthday of his wife in January. These were serious lavish parties which I think could be done modestly.

I asked him on Monday about the loan and he said his moratorium will expire in February and there's no cause for alarm. This is different from what he told me before I released my documents, he said he will have gone far in repayment even before the expiration of moratorium. I reminded him about this but he said there is no problem about his ability to pay back since the business is lucrative.

I also discovered that one of our uncles actually borrowed him 2 million naira in 2017 which he hasn't paid back till now, he hasn't paid a dime back, I didn't do due diligence before releasing my documents to him.

Uncle told me yesterday that he would have discouraged me from giving out my documents if I had informed him before the loan was granted. Uncle also told me that he disagreed with him about his clubbing and partying lifestyles as a struggling businessman but that instead of appreciating his concern, he and his wife fought him and boasted his 2 million naira will be paid back before mid 2018 but till today he hasn't paid a dime. Hope I haven't shot myself in the leg with this help which I think I rendered to a friend and family?

The worst part of it is that my wife was not fully in support of my intention to help him then.

He promised to start paying by January ending, if he fail to do this, is it possible to break that bond and retrieve my documents from the bank? Can I tell him and the bank that I'm no longer interested in guaranteeing the loan? I'm afraid, kindly help.
you do nothing wrong by helping your cousin , unfortunately him pay you bad for good , I wish you are in my state right now ,him will pay the money before ending of the month ,contact your lawyer sharply .after you collect your document stay far away from him even at him point of death
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by ityP(m): 5:15pm On Jan 23, 2020
airsaylongcom:
That house is gone

Alternatively go and look for where u can get the outstanding balance and pay the bank

Best advice.
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by xrayj(m): 5:16pm On Jan 23, 2020
chukwugoziegi:
You released your house documents for someone to use it and borrow loan from the BANK!
WOW!
Very f00lish thing to do.
I am surprised someone above 30 years could do this
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by Viking007(m): 5:16pm On Jan 23, 2020
lalasticlala:
People use sweet mouth to borrow but when it's time to pay back they will now see you as their enemy.....

He won't pay that money back and you will be held responsible.
I need to post this on my WhatsApp status. Maybe just maybe those owing me will have little shame and engage me in a conversation.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jan 23, 2020
stagger:

Women have a lot of intuition. You need to listen more to your wife.

You are about to lose your house. You better take very tough but necessary actions with your cousin. Get a lawyer and take over his business by force, if you have to. DO it at gunpoint, if you have to.

I once gave a loan to my first cousin. This is 2 years and he has not paid and stopped taking my calls. Relations are the most heartless people ever. You can help them from a distance, but never commit yourself into a loan arrangement or anything of the sort.
God bless you for your first sentence.This is the same thing i tell my husband.If only m n can consult their wife before taking some decisions,it can save them a lot of pain.My hubby borrowed his friend 200k without telling me.Na now when the guy no gree pay i dey hear am.We have previously agreed that none of us should borrow anyone a lump sum of money,instead dash them a token as they don't pay back!

I am just imagining how @op's wife will react when she finds out she is about to be homeless.

5 Likes

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by 2buffagain(m): 5:20pm On Jan 23, 2020
Proverbs 17:18
A man lacking judgment strikes hands in pledge and puts up security for his neighbor.

The bible would have taught you some game if you read it.
It is not your job to save anyone.

1 Like

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by Ashirioluwa: 5:21pm On Jan 23, 2020
wwwkaycom:

There is nothing you can do other than to pay back the loan in case he fails to do that otherwise your house will be sold to offset his debt.

Your action was actually foolishness. Why will you use your house as collateral for someone's debt?
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by obinoral1179(m): 5:21pm On Jan 23, 2020
icon02:
This is very pathetic as I don't think there was any legal agreement between you and him before the document was released.

The best thing is to keep persuading him subtly to pay up. Pls and pls don't fight him. If you do, you'll be at the losing end.

I am currently bearing the cost of one of such where I had to gurantee a friend and he defaulted intentionally.
We Africa are the problem of our own not the government especially Nigerians, you where helped but you turn out to be evil to someone that helped you.... My philosophy is what I can't part way with I won't borrow you.... Sorry for your loss
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by Moikiitos: 5:24pm On Jan 23, 2020
wwwkaycom:

Unfortunately your house seems to be the asset the bank will be kin to hold on to, in the case of a default in paying back the loan. The battle of that not happening is if your cousin pays back as it is agreed on the loan contract. Hopefully your cousin should do the needful and start paying.

This is one among many reasons, why people don't do good at all...anymore.
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jan 23, 2020
AwkaetitiBabe:
Some people got heart o. Did this Op discuss with his wife before making such a silly decision? I doubt. See when it comes to money, fear human beings.

You'll lose that house and they won't b perturbed.
My dear, they don't discuss such with us, until wahala starts...Then they would expect you to suffer with them.

Men and secrecy when they are about to do something very stupid is like 5 &6.

1 Like

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by maasoap(m): 5:26pm On Jan 23, 2020
prekumohtim:

This kind of foolishness is rare. I can't even use my house documents as collateral for personal loan let alone to give to someone else, no matter the closeness. What you did is not love at all, it is foolishness displayed in a greater measure. Possibly, you have many houses that's why you did that. Don't tell me you trusted him because trust is documented in transactions

I put down my brother's name as guarantor for a 2 million naira loan from Sterling Bank in 2016. When the loan was approved and I was told that he has to submit his properties documents plus bank accounts (for a soft loan which was originally from the CBN at 9% interest rate for the unemployed graduates, we were to submit our school and nysc certificates), I didn't bother to go back to my brother to inform him. This was because I knew that he wouldn't even use the documents to collect loans for himself, why would I expect him to do it for me? That was the end of the approved loan.
I attached the personal guarantee form that was sent to me to this post

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by tammie24: 5:29pm On Jan 23, 2020
chukwuibuipob:
sad PITY n PATHETIC. NO BANK WILL ENTERTAIN UR STORY.DNT BE DULL n NO TIME TO WASTE.IF DAT USELESS MAN HAVE CAR/PROPERTY, GRAB EM EVEN THEIR MATTRESS,BED,TV,CHAIR ETC.DNT WAIT TILL BANK SEND THEIR PIPU TO CUM LOCK U OUT AND PUT FOR SALE ON UR PROPERTY. HURRY UP angry
this is so funny but I agree with you 100%

Me I don't take police catch you sef
Clear your house and business
Anything I can lay my hands on

Time is of the essence

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by joyandfaith: 5:31pm On Jan 23, 2020
wwwkaycom:

Bank will sell your house because you failed
to listen to your wife like Abrahim did.
Just pray he pay back.

Prov 22:26-27
Do not be among those who give pledges, Among those who become guarantors for debts. If you have nothing with which to pay, Why should he take your bed from under you?

1 Like

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by Rimimafia: 5:32pm On Jan 23, 2020
I'm really wondering the kind of emotions that overtook you to give out your house documents.

I hope this is a super story!!!

If you are sure it is not, please go and start looking for N3million to repay the loan including the interest.

The young man has done you 'gbe bodi e'
Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by b03liberty(m): 5:36pm On Jan 23, 2020
Report the case to EFCC. I am telling you he will be enforce to submit a monthly bank draft to liquidate the amount

1 Like

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by Vivuch: 5:37pm On Jan 23, 2020
On no account should you borrow anybody in Nigeria money, rather give out money you can forfeit.

Had same issue with my cousin sister, I borrowed her hubby 3m, since 2018 they're yet to pay me, I have involved families and I was told to give them time, till today I am yet to see 1kobo, rather my so called cousin sister stopped talking to me, she even blocked me on social media. Rumour has it that she and her hubby used it to take chieftaincy title. I have been calling her husband to pay me my money and he doesn't pick my call. The 3million was my life savings then, since then I have been struggling in my business. I learned my lesson in a hard way.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back? by Tufunky: 5:38pm On Jan 23, 2020
wwwkaycom:
The things I'm reading here terrifies me. I just called his elder brother who knows about the loan and how I assisted him. He said I should calm down, that he will first ask him if he has started paying and then tactically advise him to start paying as from January ending as he promised. He also advised that I shouldn't fight him.
Evening boss. currently going through the same scenario. Please give us a follow up thread on the issue after the moritorum expires at the end of January. Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

My Experience Today In Warri ( graphic pix be warnned) !!! / "Made In Aba" Shoes Ready For Export (pics) / Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.