Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,157 members, 7,815,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:38 AM

Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth (75654 Views)

Post Brexit UK Visa/Job Policy: No Visas For Low-Skilled Workers / Saudi Arabia Shuns Nigeria, Okays Tourist Visas For 49 Countries / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by 9jaRealist: 8:15am On Jan 25, 2020
midnighter:
You dont get it. I was not disputing the value of education. I was comparing the expectation of its dividends with the reality on ground.

The fact that in the US and UK, many graduates end up driving Uber, serving coffee, working reception desks and other mundane jobs is irrelevant because you havent qualified that assertion.

Are you comparing the lunacy of being owed months of salary to being a taxi driver in America?

Does a trained teacher expect to suffer these types of indignities in his adult life?

Are you comparing a Business or Media Studies graduate from a low-ranked UK university with low-quality research who was unable to find a suitable job in post-recession Britain with a qualified Nigerian doctor who deals with a crippling patient ratio and has to work in 2 different hospitals to keep the lights on in his house?

If you want to discuss these things you need to make a specific point otherwise your post ends up being redundant.

EVERY society and nation started somewhere and worked their way up...
In my parents time in the US (1960s), blacks were still being publicly lynched, denied the vote, denied service in shops and generally segregated.

Meanwhile, how much does a “qualified Nigerian doctor” have to pay for his/her education as opposed to UK or US-qualified doctors (where most graduate from medical school with up to $250K loan debt)? A nation’s most important natural resource is human capital, and thus nations invest in their citizens with the hope and expectation of getting a ‘return’ by those citizens productivity (or re-investment into the society). Tens of thousands of Nigerians have benefited from heavily-subsidized and/or even free public education, including so many Nigerians in the diaspora.

Citizens create nations, not the other way around...
Ultimately, Nigeria’s condition is the culmination of the actions (by commission or omission) of ALL Nigerians - as will be its future.
>

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by midnighter(f): 8:23am On Jan 25, 2020
9jaRealist:

In my parents time in the US (1960s), blacks were still being publicly lynched, denied the vote, denied service in shops and generally segregated.

Meanwhile, how much does a “qualified Nigerian doctor” has to pay for his education as opposed to UK or US-qualified doctors (where most graduate from medical school with up to $250K loan debt)? A nation’s most important natural resource is human capital, and thus nations invest in their citizens with the hope and expectation of getting a ‘return’ by those citizens productivity (or re-investment into the society). Tens of thousands of Nigerians have benefited from heavily-subsidized and/or even free public education, including so many Nigerians in the diaspora.

Ultimately, Nigeria’s condition is the culmination of the actions (by commission or omission) of ALL Nigerians - as will be its future.

And now I can see your point, yet it doesn't take away from the fact that suffering a low quality of life that doesn't match your expectation for your personal effort and achievement will naturally prompt you to consider alternatives.

Is it an individual doctors fault that his education was relatively cheap?

If they are able to provide the free and heavily subsidised education then why not follow through and create a conducive work environment?

Or to remedy your grouse, be like Singapore(I think) and rule that anybody who studies medicine on a govt grant must work for the government for at least 2 years after graduating.

Your last bolded statement closes the case.

2 Likes

Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by 9jaRealist: 8:26am On Jan 25, 2020
midnighter:
And now I can see your point, yet it doesn't take away from the fact that suffering a low quality of life that doesn't match your expectation for your personal effort and achievement will naturally prompt you to consider alternatives.

If they are able to provide the free and heavily subsidised education then why not follow through and create a conducive work environment?

Or to remedy your grouse, be like Singapore(I think) and rule that anybody who studies medicine on a govt grant must work for the government for at least 2 years after graduating.

Thanks for the intelligent discussion. Have a great day... cool
>

2 Likes

Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by midnighter(f): 8:42am On Jan 25, 2020
9jaRealist:

Thanks for the intelligent discussion. Have a great day... cool
>

And you too, friend

1 Like

Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by Victorex001(m): 9:21am On Jan 25, 2020
shogsman:

Classic case of an unpatriotic person with zero self worth. If those people ran from their countries during the American civil war or great depression the country will not be the great citadel it is today,no country deserves to have cowards like you has it citizens.

No country deserves to have morons like that keep voting illiterates and clueless greedy fools as leaders.

You’re failure and disgrace to humanity and your next generation for voting these leaders.

All sensible Nations is the world are being ruled by intellectuals but you morons keep collecting peanuts to vote clueless thieves.

Selling your future!
Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by shogsman(m): 12:39pm On Jan 25, 2020
Victorex001:

No country deserves to have morons like that keep voting illiterates and clueless greedy fools as leaders.

You’re failure and disgrace to humanity and your next generation for voting these leaders.

All sensible Nations is the world are being ruled by intellectuals but you morons keep collecting peanuts to vote clueless thieves.

Selling your future!
Your uncouthness and foolery denotes what I think about you.unintelligent half baked brain scums like you just assume things they have little or no knowledge about.
I say it again this country will be great when people like you no longer reside among us.
I have travelled and seen the world I put it to you that no country in the world wants someone like you,your desperation would be spotted even without looking.
Sometimes I just wonder how the Lots of you were raised.
Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by Thazard(m): 1:43pm On Jan 25, 2020
AZeD1:

This rule doesn't affect the rich. With $500k you will get an investor visa.
Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by AnanseK(m): 3:47pm On Jan 25, 2020
BreconHills:

The 14th Amendment to the US Constitution would make any such executive action illegal which would leave an amendment to the constitution as the other option.

If indeed they amended the constitution up to 14 times, they can amend it again to stop the child birth tourism. It is obviously wrong to deliberately use that method to acquire citizenship of another country.

2 Likes

Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by BreconHills(m): 3:54pm On Jan 25, 2020
AnanseK:

If indeed they amended the constitution up to 14 times, they can amend it again to stop the child birth tourism. It is obviously wrong to deliberately use that method to acquire citizenship of another country.

Logic and likelihood are two different things. A thingbmatly be logical and yet extremely unlikely. Human behaviour is not led by logic but by perceived self interest.

If you've been following events in America you will know that America is a fractured society. Democrats will never vote for such an amendment because their political base would turn against them. In order to get an amendment cross party support us needed and at the moment no Democrat will support such a move.

The likelihood of such an amendment is closer to zero than to 5 on a scale of 1-10
Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by Victorex001(m): 4:52pm On Jan 25, 2020
shogsman:

Your uncouthness and foolery denotes what I think about you.unintelligent half baked brain scums like you just assume things they have little or no knowledge about.
I say it again this country will be great when people like you no longer reside among us.
I have travelled and seen the world I put it to you that no country in the world wants someone like you,your desperation would be spotted even without looking.
Sometimes I just wonder how the Lots of you were raised.

You have never crossed your village in your life.

Even USA would fall if morons like you are allowed to reside in it.

Morons who sell their future to politicians for stipends.

MC Oluomo is your next President ���

Urchin.
Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by shogsman(m): 5:42pm On Jan 25, 2020
Victorex001:

You have never crossed your village in your life.

Even USA would fall if morons like you are allowed to reside in it.

Morons who sell their future to politicians for stipends.

MC Oluomo is your next President ���

Urchin.

I won't dignify you with a response, cos in a social setting you won't even be allowed to carry my bag.you should thank God for nairaland if not you won't have the fortune of trading words with someone like me.
Don't quote me again.
Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by Victorex001(m): 7:14pm On Jan 25, 2020
shogsman:

I won't dignify you with a response, cos in a social setting you won't even be allowed to carry my bag.you should thank God for nairaland if not you won't have the fortune of trading words with someone like me.
Don't quote me again.

Typical Nigerian bragging on a faceless app.

Pls do well to PM me let’s do physical bragging Mr Dangote
Get lost Fam.
Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by shogsman(m): 7:20pm On Jan 25, 2020
Victorex001:

Typical Nigerian bragging on a faceless app.

Pls do well to PM me let’s do physical bragging Mr Dangote
Get lost Fam.
I'm not your FAM,one day your unruly attitude is going to cost you a stepping stone,this forum is not as faceless as you think it to be.
Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by Victorex001(m): 9:16pm On Jan 25, 2020
shogsman:

I'm not your FAM,one day your unruly attitude is going to cost you a stepping stone,this forum is not as faceless as you think it to be.

Lol. Smh.
Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by AnanseK(m): 11:10pm On Jan 25, 2020
BreconHills:

Logic and likelihood are two different things. A thingbmatly be logical and yet extremely unlikely. Human behaviour is not led by logic but by perceived self interest.

If you've been following events in America you will know that America is a fractured society. Democrats will never vote for such an amendment because their political base would turn against them. In order to get an amendment cross party support us needed and at the moment no Democrat will support such a move.

The likelihood of such an amendment is closer to zero than to 5 on a scale of 1-10

Rubbish
Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by BreconHills(m): 12:15am On Jan 26, 2020
AnanseK:

Rubbish

What a brilliant retort. Using oboju to counter an intellectual argument. Works on the streets but not here mate.
https://www.npr.org/2018/10/30/662335612/legal-scholars-say-14th-amendment-doubt-trump-can-end-birthright-citizenship-wit
Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by anonimi: 5:26am On Jan 26, 2020
midnighter:
I dont understand where all the argument is coming from; the hundreds of thousands of Nigerians in diaspora who have contributed to healthcare, commerce and education nko?

Even if you have a point, you are also detracting from it from being extreme. You cant deny the fact that people who try and try in this country often have nothing to show for it where they would have in a working system, which is why they emigrate in search of greener pastures. Thats all I was driving at in my original comment.

Whether they should be doing that, whether our political engagement is up to standard or the wider question of lack of progress in black nations is a different story.

If you want others to acknowledge that black people should do more, then you yourself need to admit that we are not totally useless, everywhere we go.

Anyway, you keep poking holes in my comments and attaching all these provocative cartoons. I notice that most of your posts seem to imply an exasperation with black Africans.

Im curious; what is your own solution to the problem? What about "blacks" do you wish to improve (I do understand that we could do better)?

Exasperation?
Yes.
Wish to improve?
Seriousness with self and community work. Understand and act on what makes Asians and white societies much better.

1 Like

Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by anonimi: 5:30am On Jan 26, 2020
9jaRealist:

Meanwhile, how much does a “qualified Nigerian doctor” has to pay for his education as opposed to UK or US-qualified doctors (where most graduate from medical school with up to $250K loan debt)? A nation’s most important natural resource is human capital, and thus nations invest in their citizens with the hope and expectation of getting a ‘return’ by those citizens productivity (or re-investment into the society). Tens of thousands of Nigerians have benefited from heavily-subsidized and/or even free public education, including so many Nigerians in the diaspora.

>

Abeg loud am, Oga. Let those who have ears listen and ACT on these truths.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10558418_img20190910120928_jpeg5b4f7f72e7c7a22dc64bb1ac3b7b0cca

1 Like

Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by anonimi: 5:33am On Jan 26, 2020
midnighter:

The highlighted shows that you still don't understand that the people have the sovereignty and make the society/community/town/LGA/state/country.
Review carefully and make amend. Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by midnighter(f): 9:27am On Jan 26, 2020
anonimi:

The highlighted shows that you still don't understand that the people have the sovereignty and make the society/community/town/LGA/state/country.
Review carefully and make amend. Cheers.

No, all your comments show that YOU still dont understand that the average individual will be relevant to society at different points within his lifetime, and social frustrations may prevent them from taking some of those relevancies seriously enough to make an impact.

A medical student benefiting from cheap education and a senior official in the state ministry of health, who is more politically relevant? Who has a higher responsibility? What "society" are you talking about? Society functions at many different levels.

Stop quoting me if you dont want to be specific. "Highlighting" one or two words in my comments but all your posts lack the type of depth of understanding necessary for these types of discussions. I asked you to show me how we could improve and all you could do was type some vagueries about "white and asian societies" smh
Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by DexterousOne(m): 11:06am On Jan 26, 2020
9jaRealist:

>

That was the south
Not nationwide
Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by CTPlayer: 6:15pm On Jan 26, 2020
DexterousOne:

What is this one saying?

You really think a constitutional amendment on birth right citizenship is possible?
Hahahahahaha

And you think it's "just because of the Latino lobby" that is standing in their way?

"Subject to the jurisdiction thereof" is the compelling part of the 14th. Foreigners are not, so if they give birth on US soil their kid should not be a citizen. For legal residents/green card holders their kids would be citizens. There is very little case law on this. IMHO Trump will do an EO on this 2nd Term.
Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by DexterousOne(m): 7:11pm On Jan 26, 2020
CTPlayer:

"Subject to the jurisdiction thereof" is the compelling part of the 14th. Foreigners are not, so if they give birth on US soil their kid should not be a citizen. For legal residents/green card holders their kids would be citizens. There is very little case law on this. IMHO Trump will do an EO on this 2nd Term.

That law is only applicable to diplomats

Diplomats are not subject to laws in America

But even if you are a visitor
You are under the jurisdiction of USA when I'm USA. You commit crime, you will be arrested.
But it's not same for diplomats.

Just like many of his supporters

Trump is a dunce low iq person

He thinks Executive order can cancel a constitutional amendment
Olodo oshi

Birthright citizenship will continue.
Nothing his racist ass can do about it

Except closing the gate as much as he can
Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by TWoods(m): 7:41pm On Jan 26, 2020
DexterousOne:

You are under the jurisdiction of USA when I'm USA. You commit crime, you will be arrested.

Olodo oshi

Nothing racist about reviewing the 14th amendment. Most Americans are in favor of this.

1 Like

Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by DexterousOne(m): 8:07pm On Jan 26, 2020
TWoods:

Nothing racist about reviewing the 14th amendment. Most Americans are in favor of this.

"Most Americans" indeed

My only grouse with these anchor babies is when they come, give birth and REFUSE to pay hospital bills

That one is pure wickedness and exploitation

But apart from that
I don't see a constitutional amendment on the 14th one reviewed

Sorry to all wanna be conservatives, it's not gonna happen

1 Like

Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by CTPlayer: 8:43pm On Jan 26, 2020
DexterousOne:

Olodo oshi

The only case law was on a Chinese American from about 100 years ago. He won at the Supreme Court...parents were legal residents etc.
Foreigners are subjects of their respective countries....has nothing to do with other laws in the USA. In the 1960's the US started giving citizenship mainly to illegals anchor babies from Mexico. It is a policy that was implemented poorly. And no Trump isn't a dunce. He has won on trade, no more bogus asylum apps at border checkpoints, remain in Mexico, securing $$$, not originally earmarked, for border fence construction, travel visa restriction bans, etc.

1 Like

Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by DexterousOne(m): 8:45pm On Jan 26, 2020
CTPlayer:

The only case law was on a Chinese American from about 100 years ago. He won at the Supreme Court...parents were legal residents etc.
Foreigners are subjects of their respective countries....has nothing to do with other laws in the USA. In the 1960's the US started giving citizenship mainly to illegals anchor babies from Mexico. It is a policy that was implemented poorly. And no Trump isn't a dunce. He has won on trade, no more bogus asylum apps at border checkpoints, remain in Mexico, securing $$$, not originally earmarked, for border fence construction, travel visa restriction bans, etc.

cheesy cheesy

Trump is a lying since

So is most of his supporters

It's what we all know
Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by DexterousOne(m): 8:50pm On Jan 26, 2020
CTPlayer:

Foreigners are subject to American laws IN AMERICA
When you get a visa and you are stamped at CBP, you will be subject to American law in totality

Okay for example
21 is the legal drinking age for America

If an 18 year old Canadian or say a Brit drink in the USA; he will be made to face the law
That is what makes you subject to the jurisdiction

SIMPLE
A diplomats child on the other hand is not likely to be arrested in similar fashion
Or a diplomat himself
There is a different process for that

#DasAll.

Let's see how Trumps project in making America white again will work, when that inevitable ship of White minority AMERICA long sailed pass the shore
Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by AmericanPecan: 9:59pm On Jan 26, 2020
treaty of guadalupe hidalgo mandates Mexican or native how ever you want to call it -american family in US territories not be separated sorry
DexterousOne:

cheesy cheesy

Trump is a lying since

So is most of his supporters

It's what we all know
Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by CTPlayer: 10:29pm On Jan 26, 2020
DexterousOne:

Foreigners are subject to American laws IN AMERICA
When you get a visa and you are stamped at CBP, you will be subject to American law in totality

Okay for example
21 is the legal drinking age for America

If an 18 year old Canadian or say a Brit drink in the USA; he will be made to face the law
That is what makes you subject to the jurisdiction

SIMPLE
A diplomats child on the other hand is not likely to be arrested in similar fashion
Or a diplomat himself
There is a different process for that

#DasAll.

Let's see how Trumps project in making America white again will work, when that inevitable ship of White minority AMERICA long sailed pass the shore

The concept "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" is in an amendment about citizenship LOL. Anyone who goes to another country is also subject to that countries laws. The drinking age is not 21 in the USA. That is the legal age to "purchase" alcohol. Plenty of states allow for the drinking prior to 21. The last census 55% of "Hispanics" identified as "white". Next census it will probably be 75%, so many marry "white" or people of European ancestry. MENA = Middle East N. African is white caucasian on Census and job apps. The other big immigrant group E. Asians are for the most part white LOL. Your Cultural Marxist identity politics are amusing though.

1 Like

Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by DexterousOne(m): 7:51am On Jan 27, 2020
CTPlayer:

The concept "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" is in an amendment about citizenship LOL. Anyone who goes to another country is also subject to that countries laws. The drinking age is not 21 in the USA. That is the legal age to "purchase" alcohol. Plenty of states allow for the drinking prior to 21. The last census 55% of "Hispanics" identified as "white". Next census it will probably be 75%, so many marry "white" or people of European ancestry. MENA = Middle East N. African is white caucasian on Census and job apps. The other big immigrant group E. Asians are for the most part white LOL. Your Cultural Marxist identity politics are amusing though.
Sixty years ago

Poles, Italians, Irish, Middle Easternere
- were not considered white. That were highly discriminated against, and treated like Aboki.
In the original sense, only those of North - Western European descent were considered white.

#Fact

Every decade after the 1960s saw their populations decline steeply, hence they had to start shifting the goal post, first by including the Irish, then the Italians; then the Poles, then the Hispanic; now even those ones from the Middke east to still reinforce that false psyche that America is still a white country majority (which in 2020, by the REAL DEFINITION OF WHITE THAT WAS ON GROUND, they are already minority)

Now the population is shifting more and more to the brown side, and we saw a fine gentleman Obama lead the country for two terms;

Let's see who they will shift the goalpost for again to accommodate to call white

Mad people.

1 Like

Re: Birth Tourism: US Block Visas For Pregnant Women Visiting To Give Birth by AnanseK(m): 8:44pm On Jan 27, 2020
BreconHills:

What a brilliant retort. Using oboju to counter an intellectual argument. Works on the streets but not here mate.
https://www.npr.org/2018/10/30/662335612/legal-scholars-say-14th-amendment-doubt-trump-can-end-birthright-citizenship-wit

Keep deceiving yourself thinking that you are an intellectual Just because you can copy and paste grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Top 10 Hangout And Fun Spots In Ibadan And Its Environs / Beautiful Pictures Of Ibadan City / Spain Schengen Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.