Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,223 members, 7,815,278 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:07 AM

Leaked Cable: Late Nigerian President 'comatose' - Well Duh - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Leaked Cable: Late Nigerian President 'comatose' - Well Duh (587 Views)

Duh!!! Buhari Does Not Need To Say It, His Action Already Shows It / I Met Rivers In Comatose – Amaechi / CNN-Isha Sesay: Disrespecful To Nigerian President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Leaked Cable: Late Nigerian President 'comatose' - Well Duh by koruji(m): 3:00am On Dec 09, 2010

By JON GAMBRELL
The Associated Press
Wednesday, December 8, 2010; 6:45 PM

LAGOS, Nigeria -- Nigeria's late President Umaru Yar'Adua was "in a semi-comatose state" as his oil-rich nation teetered on the edge of a constitutional crisis in February over his illness, according to a secret U.S. diplomatic cable released Wednesday by WikiLeaks.

The cable recounts a frank conversation then-Vice President Goodluck Jonathan had with the U.S. ambassador before Yar'Adua's death thrust him into the nation's highest office. The cable described how Jonathan even said to then-Ambassador Robin Renee Sanders that "there were a lot more qualified people around to be vice president."

Ima Niboro, a spokesman for Jonathan, could not be reached for comment Wednesday night. A spokesman at the U.S. embassy in Nigeria's capital of Abuja declined to comment. WikiLeaks is a website that specializes in publishing leaked material and recently made a number of U.S. diplomatic cables public.

Yar'Adua, perpetually troubled by a chronic kidney ailment, left Nigeria on Nov. 23, 2009, to seek medical treatment in Saudi Arabia. His physician later told journalists Yar'Adua suffered from acute pericarditis, an inflammation of the sac surrounding the heart.

However, Yar'Adua's stay in Saudi Arabia drifted from days to weeks to months, stalling government activity in a nation vital to U.S. oil supplies. The Feb. 26 cable describes a conversation Sanders had with Jonathan in which he said "everyone's confused."

He put the blame on the confusion on Turai Yar'Adua, the late president's wife, as well as three advisers who he believed had "nefarious purposes" to continue the "charade," according to the cable.

Jonathan warned Sanders a cabinet meeting "was disastrous and included yelling and screaming." He also acknowledged his own limitations in the ruling People's Democratic Party, as an unwritten power-sharing agreement between the nation's Christian south and Muslim north would have Yar'Adua serve two, four-year terms.

Yar'Adua never completed his first term. He died May 5. Jonathan, who earlier became acting president through an extraconstitutional vote by the National Assembly, was sworn in May 6.

"I was not chosen to be vice president because I had good political experience," the cable quotes Jonathan saying. "I did not. There were a lot more qualified people around to be vice president, but that does not mean I am not my own man."

The cable shows Sanders, at the behest of the U.S. State Department, urged Jonathan to consider himself as a national figure. Jonathan apparently demurred at whether he would seek the nation's office in next year's election.

"Even if he decides to contest for the presidency, Jonathan seems sincere in wanting to leave a lasting legacy of electoral reform for Africa's most populous nation," a note by Sanders at the end of the cable reads. "It is always hard to judge how some will behave (or surprise you) when leadership is unexpectedly thrown in their lap. The verdict is out on Jonathan, and his previously underwhelming personality and performance needs to keep us in the cautious lane, but so far, so good."

The cable also claims that Nigeria's secret police, the State Security Service, nearly let a suspected bombmaker trained by the Somali terror group al-Shabab onto an international flight. Mohamed Ibrahim Ahmed faces terrorism charges in federal court in New York.

The secret police "not only knew about the Interpol notice, but simply said they did not want to hold him any longer," the cable reads.

Al-Shabab, which vows allegiance to al-Qaida and whose members include foreign fighters, controls large parts of southern Somalia and much of the capital, Mogadishu.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/08/AR2010120805817.html
Re: Leaked Cable: Late Nigerian President 'comatose' - Well Duh by appletango: 3:06am On Dec 09, 2010
I told ya'll this is how it would play out.

Beafy weafy come out a play!! You and your boys need to be schooled in the art of political warfare because you're getting creamed out here,
Re: Leaked Cable: Late Nigerian President 'comatose' - Well Duh by nigboy(m): 5:40am On Dec 09, 2010
Trying to download the video clips from Nigieria

Will post it when success comes

Things are really happening in this world
Re: Leaked Cable: Late Nigerian President 'comatose' - Well Duh by Nobody: 6:41am On Dec 09, 2010
GEJ was resigned to a 12 month tenure. . . . I wonder what changed!
Re: Leaked Cable: Late Nigerian President 'comatose' - Well Duh by Nobody: 9:28am On Dec 09, 2010
Ujujoan:

GEJ was resigned to a 12 month tenure. . . . I wonder what changed!

Then he was isolated. But power is like a strong magnet, all shades & character of people gravitate to it. GEJ is now surrounded by his own people & they give him confidence, they put pressure on him to hang-on. And they do this to serve their own selfish ends, even though they've probably convinced themselves it's for the greater good.

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan Goodluck's Promise Of Electoral Reform Has Officially Failed / Ekiti To Establish Independent Power Plant / Just On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.