Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,944 members, 7,828,312 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

Big For Nothing- Not The Camry - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Big For Nothing- Not The Camry (729 Views)

Adeyanju: If A Stadium Is Too Big For Your Rally, Use Wedding Reception Venue / Shettima: Nigeria is Too Big For Peter Obi To Handle / Reno Omokri: Wike Is Too Big For The VP, He Is Presidential Material (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Big For Nothing- Not The Camry by koolwambaguy(m): 10:12am On Jan 27, 2020
Last year I had the opportunity to attend a 3 week international development program in Southern Israel, and though I have known about the country since childhood, this was first time time visiting.

One thing is very obvious whether in Jerusalem , Tel Aviv or any other location is the size and burst of complexity of buildings and architectural styles- but that is the not the point. your guides will quickly mention how 'small' Israel is in size and how you can get to one part of the country longest end to longest end whether bar car, bus, train in just a few hours !

Back in Israel again for a longer stay and able to soak in, acclimatize to the culture and travel, the 'concept of small' once again comes to fore and truly one can only but appreciate how such a small country is able to do what it does and still remain 'small'.

The size is deceptive as for instance almost every institutional building is gigantic, dedicated public spaces cumulatively are spacious- I cannot mention one part of Abuja that has any of the level deliberate and manicured architectural or urban I have seen in any of the locations I have been to! Utter and complete organization! Still in talking of size -many fresh food items you will pick up at the green grocers are big too, it seems everything here is big! The Israeli detail to agricultural finesse should be news to any informed person...it is legendary- if you eat one particular type of date palm you will never again touch those you find being hawked in Northern Nigeria again!

The Israel work day begins on what we in other parts of the world would call Sunday- imagine my utter surprise last year sitting to a lecture on a Sunday morning when I should have been in church! That is a fraction of my point - workers are allowed a day off in working week and then there is Shabat ( the Jewish religious holiday) which is work and there is also official Saturday and unlike Nigeria where sometimes Saturday is just as busy as Monday to Friday and busier for the market people, many shops are closed, at least in this part of Southern Israel. I remember last year participants in the group I was part of were told to buy whatever we needed between Thursday morning and sometime before evening on Friday.

Last year before I traveled here I had a torrid week or two waiting for the Jewish religious holidays to be over so I could resume my communication and hasten the Visa application process back in Nigeria! The religious holidays were almost a two week stretch yer on resumption back to work things got done, files were treated and handled and dispatched!

My moot point is: here is a small country- very small in comparison to Nigeria, with seemingly no natural resources in addition to other challenges but despite and in-spite of the man-hours it consciously decides to take off is still able to stamp out its identity in so many fields of endeavor- educational , scientific, cultural and on and on!

I am not calling Nigeria 'big for nothing' - I am simply making an observation that I find it humorous that Nigeria with its size , manpower , natural resources, prowess in sports - talents in a mind boggling number of fields, a country with such religious undertone, surely we can do better!

1 Like

Re: Big For Nothing- Not The Camry by jimyjames(m): 10:28am On Jan 27, 2020
Afonjas will always claim Ibadan is bigger than south east by land mass but Ibadan is just a slum city
Re: Big For Nothing- Not The Camry by theenchanter: 10:32am On Jan 27, 2020
jimyjames:
Afonjas will always claim Ibadan is bigger than south east by land mass but Ibadan is just a slum city

how do u sleep well at night with all the nonsense u've been spewing? undecided
Re: Big For Nothing- Not The Camry by jimyjames(m): 11:01am On Jan 27, 2020
theenchanter:
how do u sleep well at night with all the nonsense u've been spewing? undecided

I have no idea of what you are talking about

Re: Big For Nothing- Not The Camry by Staro: 11:07am On Jan 27, 2020
Nigeria is big for nothing
I said so!
Re: Big For Nothing- Not The Camry by MusaChukwudi: 11:07am On Jan 27, 2020
Yet, iyanmirin cannot develop their tiny land. Na to run go hide for Yorubaland.

Useless peps

Lzaa immhotep

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Big For Nothing- Not The Camry by theenchanter: 11:08am On Jan 27, 2020
jimyjames:

I have no idea of what you are talking about
i don't expect u to have, ur brain processor is on pentium 3.
Re: Big For Nothing- Not The Camry by jimyjames(m): 11:12am On Jan 27, 2020
theenchanter:
i don't expect u to have, ur brain processor is on pentium 3.

My good friend, pls get off nairaland head straight to where you kept your weed smoke as much as you can to ease your stress

I will be praying for you

1 Like

Re: Big For Nothing- Not The Camry by aremuforlife(m): 11:22am On Jan 27, 2020
Have you ever reason the speed development of Isreal within a short period of time
Israel was not on the world map before 1947, and now they are fast developing
They have the world support, most of their atrocity are being overlooked
Re: Big For Nothing- Not The Camry by jaszplus12(m): 2:55pm On Jan 27, 2020
It's all to do with determination and mindset! Desire to work and achieve and stand for what the Homeland stands for!
Let's start from our homes: I just want to be wealthy or seen as wealthy by my neighbor, in-laws, church members etc so instead of community service I show off so I can be "respected"! Instead of putting effort into my paid employment I shortchange my employer (private or public) by lateness and absenteeism. I grudgingly hide files so my colleague or "enemy" doesn't get promoted!
I look for loopholes I can use to embezzle and if anyone is wise to it I coerce, threaten, or kill him to have my way!
I don't want the teacher to "intimidate" my kids so I flaunt cash at PTA or outright fight any that crosses my path.
I'm a youth, I can't wait to succeed cos it takes too long so I indulge in vices to show how "tough, smart, cool" I am, but when asked to serve my nation I call my parents to find a cosy easy place.
My parents have to carry my application and meet people to get job for me...
We can go on.... with an attitude like this no nation will develop.

(1) (Reply)

Theodore Orji As Finished Abia But / Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? / Recruit Arewa Youths To Fight Boko Hram, Stop Disturbing Igbo–ohaneze Warns Army

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.