Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,025 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:46 AM

Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! (2373 Views)

Rivers Rerun: Governor Wike Says INEC Was Not Prepared / I Was Offered Money To Rig Bayelsa Polls, Says INEC Chief / Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by wales(m): 6:29am On Dec 10, 2010
Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has said that the stolen Direct Data Capture Machines (DDC) did not belong to it.
Director of Public Affairs, Emmanuel Umenger explained that though the reported theft of the machines was surprising but that the DDC machines were not INEC’s since they were yet to be formally delivered to the commission. Therefore, they could not be said to be INEC’s.

Umenger, while reacing to the development said, “we are yet to receive any DDC machine and if there is any machine missing, it is the responsibility of the company that brought the machines to speak on it and not that of INEC.”

However, the National Coordinator of the Northern Patriotic Front, Alhaji Ali Abacha has condemned the theft, stating that it exposed security lapses in the country. Abacha said, “it is because of the security lapses in the country and the unpatriotic nature of some Nigerians. The Police should properly stand up to its functions.”
On the implications of the stolen machines for the 2011 general elections, Abacha said the stolen machines should not affect the elections and INEC should not see it as an obstacle.

An indigenous information technology company, Zinox Technologies Limited, had brought in 14,000 units of the DDC machines from China and Dubai on Sunday. The quantity is part of the 80,000 units of the electronic equipment the company was awarded contract to supply. Two other companies - Haier Electrical Appliances Corporation of China and Avante of United States also won contracts to supply 30,000 and 22,000 units respectively.

Also the Chief Press Secretary to the INEC Chairman, Mr. Kayode Idowu in a press statement reacting to the theft and the implications it had on the voters’ registration said, “The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) hereby reassures all Nigerians that the voters registration exercise scheduled for 15th to 29th January, 2011 remains firmly on course.

“This reassurance is necessary against the backdrop of the theft of some Direct Data Capture machines at the Lagos airport. “A consignment of 20 machines was stolen on Tuesday, out of a total of 6,000 brought into the country by Zinox Technologies Ltd., the contractor. Sixteen of these have been recovered by Thursday afternoon, and security agents are working assiduously to recover the four outstanding and apprehend the culprits. Besides, there are adequate safety features to forestall any nefarious use of the stolen items; as such, the integrity of the electoral processes would not be compromised.

“Furthermore, INEC has been assured of intensified safeguards against further breaches.
“The Commission uses this opportunity to urge all eligible Nigerians to turn out for the planned voter registration in January, and to work with INEC for the attainment of free, fair and credible elections in 2011.”

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/dec/10/national-10-12-2010-001.htm
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by wales(m): 6:31am On Dec 10, 2010
Who as the one that was stolen than? is it for Atiku or IBB?
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by Kobojunkie: 6:47am On Dec 10, 2010
The same you post say INEC reported the machines recovered . . . which one we go believe now?
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by wales(m): 6:59am On Dec 10, 2010
We need to ask the INEC that! shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by Nobody: 7:01am On Dec 10, 2010
On Stv, it wz reported dat d 16 recovered were empty boxes bt on earth wl d robbers be doing wit d machines?
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by jamace(m): 7:47am On Dec 10, 2010
If this can happen, then it means some desperate thieves are already having those machines stocked under their beds, waiting for the D-Day. Too bad.
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by MaJBlige(f): 8:17am On Dec 10, 2010
These machines are not for the election proper, they are for voters registration, so, the thieving thief may find it hard to use.
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by victorazy(m): 11:45am On Dec 10, 2010
On today's paper
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by disreason: 12:34pm On Dec 10, 2010
Why wont they be ours thief! after they have examined the machines and taken the necessary information needed to do the data capturing inside their bed room. What a cunning way to rig the eclection.
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by Timothyxx(m): 12:34pm On Dec 10, 2010
D playaz are on it again. When will this  security lapses disappear into the thin air?  The rigging tone has just begun. I think INEC sending the serial number of the missing Ddc machines to the manufacturers(assuming the know them) should go a long way in  making the missing Ddc machine useless in the hands of this evil perpetrators.

LET ALL PRAY FOR NAIJA!
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by MisterMan(m): 1:33pm On Dec 10, 2010
Ma_J_Blige:

These machines are not for the election proper, they are for voters registration, so, the thieving thief may find it hard to use.
You are indeed very naive. Rigging is NOT only done on election day only. When some things (I can't remember those things and which were not supposed to be in his house) were found, what do you think he was up to? Rigging starts with voters registration. Don't be surprised when you see Bill Clinton or Prince Charles on the voter list. Those who stole it know what they are doing. Of course, they stole it not because they want to resell it. It is NOT edible as well
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by goggs(m): 1:39pm On Dec 10, 2010
contractually speaking, the DCC machines are yet to be delivered to INEC so they are the property of the contractor and if has to replace them or ask his insurance company to do the same. However, the statements of inec is so confusing. I wish they just keep quiet and refer inquiries to the police. And the headlines are even more confusing. The journalist is making it sound as though there are other DDC machines other than inec's out there.
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by Manpikin1(m): 2:09pm On Dec 10, 2010
Let's just watch and see how the election goes. I just changed my pattern of prayer. No more forgive for they know not what they do. God shall never seize to punish those responsible for the downfall of this nation.

These are some of the reasons they must die;

Let's Analyze this;

The cheapest plate of food is N200 (with a piece of meat)
Feeding three times a day is N(200 x 3) i.e N600
which means for I month, it's (30 x 600) = N18,000. (feeding alone)

The Federal Government pays NYSC members N9,500 for one month.

Most parents suffered and even had to borrow to ensure that their wards graduate from the university. This is often the reason why most parents see the transport fare they give their children to Orientation camp as loan. They'll always say "You're now government Pikin"

Please, let's judge those poor NYSC girls who due lack of accommodation, fall into the hands of those who take advantage of them. Due to frustration, such girls resort to prostitution just to make ends meet.

The young men now manage to get a laptop for "yahoo yahoo" who says these intelligent guys don't want a decent job?

Yet, I hear some people somewhere are taking N45m every 3months while the so called "Government Pikin" earn N15 thousand naira every month.

If it were in the middle east, these houses they spend our money to build and the cars they use our money to buy will be all burned down. In fact, their entire family won't live to tell the story. Since we can't behave like the middle east people, We'll pray for them to die a shameful as well as painful death. Them all.
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by bababuff(m): 2:43pm On Dec 10, 2010
Director of Public Affairs, Emmanuel Umenger explained that though the reported theft of the machines was surprising but that the DDC machines were not INEC’s since they were yet to be formally delivered to the commission. Therefore, they could not be said to be INEC’s.

Whats this fool talking about? Who ordered for the machines?  angry  kabzachan - "Nonsense in Arabic"
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by cjfavour(m): 3:53pm On Dec 10, 2010
DO NOT BLAME JEGA PLS. BLAME THE SUPPLIER OF THE MACHINE. GEJ SHOULD PROSECUTE HIM IMMEDIATELY AND WITHDRAW THE CONTRACT FOR THE SUPPLY OF THESE MACHINES FROM ANY NIGERIAN COMPANY.

PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW THIS; CHINA PRODUCES QUALITY PRODUCTS. ALL THESE INFERIOR PRODUCTS IN 9JA ARE WHAT THE IMPORTERS TOLD THEM TO PRODUCE, I MEAN THE QUALITY OF OUR PRODUCTS HERE IN 9JA.
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by JUO(m): 4:15pm On Dec 10, 2010
PDP again
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by chosen6(f): 4:17pm On Dec 10, 2010
I heard the FG has blamed the thift on HENRY OKAH just like the independence bomb blast.
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by osamaobama: 4:39pm On Dec 10, 2010
PLS AND PLS LET US NOT TALK THE ISSUE OF THESE STOLEN MACHINES LIGHTLY. THIS MACHINES ARE FOR VOTER REGISTRATION PURPOSE, AND ONLY THOSE REGISTERED ON THAT MACHINE CAN VOTE DURING NEXT YEAR'S ELECTION.

THIS ARE ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS THAT WILL WORK WITH A CENTRAL SERVER(NETWORKED). THIS MACHINES WILL STORE DATA FOR EFFECTIVE VOTING PURPOSES.

WITH THE STEALING OF THIS MACHINES, THE DATA THAT WILL BE FED INTO THOSE MACHINES MIGHT BE COMPROMISED, BELIEVE ME WHO EVER STOLE THOSE MACHINES KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

THIS SPELLS ELECTRONIC RIGGING ALREADY. IF THE GOVERNMENT DONT WAKE UP QUICKLY TO ASCERTAIN THE INTEGRITY OF THE STOLEN MACHINES THEN WE ARE IN TROUBLE.

THEY SHLD STOP DENYING WHO AND WHO IS NOT FOR, AND GET DOWN TO KNOW THE WAY FORWARD.
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by homerac7: 4:44pm On Dec 10, 2010
these DDC machines r not some extra high tech stuffs from NASA or Boeing workshops. they r basically chinese laptop computers, with external cameras with biometric pad all seperated. some of ur laptops r actually higer tech gadgets. the big name should not confuse u as dts d case when it comes to government bureaucracies.

now, y would anyone steal DDC machines? simple; to sell d laptops and accessories! to b able to add ghost voters names to inec list, u must b able to acces their database after or during registration and collation. if u could do dt, y will u risk stealing cheap chinese laptops and accessories? it doesnt make sense.

conclusion. some smart guys stole d computers for resale in computer village and/ for personal use. period!
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by Nobody: 4:53pm On Dec 10, 2010
Ma_J_Blige:

multiple voter's card is the main backbone to rig election,so the machine is very important to any politician.

who knows maybe the thief may have use it between the few time it was declared missing undecided
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by allycat: 4:56am On Dec 11, 2010
6000 data capture machines, stolen just like that . That means the theif came in with a trailer to carry them cos these things in their individual boxes and packaging are not small things. 6000 would fill a small wharehouse. I believe someone is not being truthfull somewhere. But fortunately for them in Nigeria our press dont do any investigative journalism and the public swallows any story hook, line and sinker.
If it were any sensible nation by now heads would have rolled and explanations would have been given as to how a trailer loads of stuff just got up and walked out of the Ports. who knows maybe they were never actually imported in the first place. grin
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by homerac7: 7:05am On Dec 11, 2010
^^^

Na for where u see 6000 figure? thought I read 20. Pls check again.

Also, heads hav stagger rolling. Lagos commisssioner of police has been redeployed as a result according to news.
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by chukz4real(m): 9:37am On Dec 11, 2010
Am passing by embarassed
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by Judeylive(m): 11:11am On Dec 11, 2010
The way things are right now, next year election has been compromised. I, for one, who believes 100% in Jonathan gross incompetence, is sure the most proclaimed 'credible election' is at the depth of an ocean!
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by ladi02(m): 11:21am On Dec 11, 2010
Cant believe anything from Sun

Sun Newspaper is Pro IBB = Anti Nigeria, Anti progressive!
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by MaJBlige(f): 1:59pm On Dec 11, 2010
Judeylive:

The way things are right now, next year election has been compromised. I, for one, who believes 100% in Jonathan gross incompetence, is sure the most proclaimed 'credible election' is at the depth of an ocean!

Because he ordered the machines stolen?
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by MaJBlige(f): 2:01pm On Dec 11, 2010
allycat:

6000 data capture machines, stolen just like that  . That means the theif came in with a trailer to carry them cos these things in their individual boxes and packaging are not small things. 6000 would fill a small wharehouse. I believe someone is not being truthfull somewhere. But fortunately for them in Nigeria our press dont do any investigative journalism and the public swallows any story hook, line and sinker.
If it were any sensible nation by now heads would have rolled and explanations would have been given as to how a trailer loads of stuff just got up and walked out of the Ports. who knows maybe  they were never actually imported in the first place. grin

Mr Towncrier - 6000?

Its 20 out of which 16 has been recovered.
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by Tunmi(f): 8:38pm On Dec 12, 2010
goggs:

contractually speaking, the DCC machines are yet to be delivered to INEC so they are the property of the contractor and if has to replace them or ask his insurance company to do the same. However, the statements of inec is so confusing. I wish they just keep quiet and refer inquiries to the police. And the headlines are even more confusing. The journalist is making it sound as though there are other DDC machines other than inec's out there.

Thank you. Did no one catch this INEC needs someone to handle its public relations affairs. And hopefully recommend that person to president jonathan. It's not everything that you respond to.
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by marvix(m): 11:55pm On Dec 12, 2010
MisterMan:

You are indeed very naive. Rigging is NOT only done on election day only. When some things (I can't remember those things and which were not supposed to be in his house) were found, what do you think he was up to? Rigging starts with voters registration. Don't be surprised when you see Bill Clinton or Prince Charles on the voter list. Those who stole it know what they are doing. Of course, they stole it not because they want to resell it. It is NOT edible as well

Why should we be bothered if there is Bill Clinton or charles taylor, all we need is truly honest people, if ur name is Bill Clinton and you have an ID go ahead and vote, what we should call for is for INEC to have a thumbprinting recognising software so that when you register as Bill Clinton, if you register again as Barack Obama the computer recognises ur thumbprint as Bill clinton and disqualifies u with a flag for ur thumbprint the moment you show up at a polling booth, once u place ur thumbprint the alert will come up on the screen, all that the electoral officer can do is advice u to kindly leave or hands you over to security agents.
Re: Stolen Ddc Machines Not Ours, Says Inec ! by MisterMan(m): 1:57pm On Dec 15, 2010
marvix:

Why should we be bothered if there is Bill Clinton or charles taylor, all we need is truly honest people, if your name is Bill Clinton and you have an ID go ahead and vote, what we should call for is for INEC to have a thumbprinting recognising software so that when you register as Bill Clinton, if you register again as Barack Obama the computer recognises your thumbprint as Bill clinton and disqualifies u with a flag for your thumbprint the moment you show up at a polling booth, once u place your thumbprint the alert will come up on the screen, all that the electoral officer can do is advice u to kindly leave or hands you over to security agents.
Why shouldn't we be bothered if there is Bill Clinton or Charles taylor? I do understand that English is NOT your mother tongue, but even a JSS3 student would have known what I am saying. All what I am saying is that there are ghost voters. I take it that you are NOT in JSS. I could have mentioned Doe Joe or Ikechukwu Kano. These are non-existent people.

", all we need is truly honest people , ". But the truth is that we don't have honest people around. Do you know how many elections were upturned. What happened in Edo, Ekiti, Ondo etc. By stealing those machines, ghost voters will creep in. It is that simple.

(1) (Reply)

Ibadan Flood: Ajumobi Challenges Senators For Help / Kano Now Generates One Billion Naira Monthly / Ngige Flag Off Campaign Speech (review And Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.