Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,022 members, 7,814,494 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:44 PM

The Amazing Wealth Of Obj - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Amazing Wealth Of Obj (1890 Views)

Throwback Pic Of OBJ Heading World Conference Against Apartheid In 1977 In Lagos / The Amazing Wealth Of Ibori / Pictures Of Obj In Senegal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Amazing Wealth Of Obj by Mamajama(m): 3:10pm On May 31, 2007
i wondr if there is any credibility to all this allegations.  its interesting to read though

He had a bank balance of N20,000 in 1999. But after eight years as Nigeria’s President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo will literally spend his retirement sitting on a mint, courtesy of some hugely controversial investments and land acquisitions

By Ademola Adegbamigbe

As much as possible, influential politicians in Nigeria, like President Olusegun Obasanjo, would do all they could to avoid the nation’s bad roads. Travelling on those roads endanger their lives as well as those of their exotic automobiles. To get round the danger, Nigerian leaders prefer commuting by helicopters and make beelines from the comfort of their abodes in the capitals to the villages.

During one of such trips two years ago, Chief Obasanjo took Prince Bola Ajibola on his Presidential chopper for what looked like a war reconnaissance along Iseyin Road in the Oke Ogun area of Oyo State. He and Ajibola, a former Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, have been friends from childhood. And in the recent past, he appointed Ajibola to oversee the implementation of the World Court verdict on Bakassi after which Nigeria ceded the oil-rich peninsula to Cameroun. They therefore, could afford to swap jokes.

As the helicopter hovered in the air, Obasanjo’s croaky voice sliced through the clattering of the machine’s propellers and the crackles of its radio communication facility. “Bola, look down to your left,” Obasanjo nudged his friend. “What can you see?” Prince Ajibola’s eyebrows arched in an attempt to lock his eyes on the direction and reacted that he could see nothing other than what looked like an evergreen forest. “Look properly, are your eyes failing you?” Obasanjo asked further.

Obasanjo then patiently revealed that what Ajibola saw were not trees haphazardly scattered by nature, but a carefully planned plantation of teak. The trees are like the cedars of Lebanon, valued for their usage as electric poles, export-earning and artificial regenerative potential. Ajibola interjected: “Segun! What are you doing with teak?”

Shrugging, Obasanjo replied: “For your information, there are over one million trees in that plantation,” adding that they were part of what would sustain him in retirement. He further revealed that his teak plantations are not only in Iseyin, but in other parts of the country where he also owns farms producing palm oil, rearing chickens, pigs and other things. “These are money-spinners,” Obasanjo said with satisfaction

http://www.nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html
Re: The Amazing Wealth Of Obj by Bankole01(m): 3:24pm On May 31, 2007
That is only the tip of the iceberg. Obasanjo will sit in comfort for the rest of his miserable life while the average man on the street will continue to suffer. What then is his achivement besides the overated acumens given to him?
I think you are forgeting all the public enterprises sold to him and friends. Transcorp is partly owned by him and his crooked friends.
The man is, was and will always remain the most corrupt thieving president Nigeria ever had the misfortune of being imposed on her!!!!!!!!
Re: The Amazing Wealth Of Obj by joshO: 3:43pm On May 31, 2007
@Bankole01

I think your comments are quite sentimental. I don't think OBJ is as as bad as you make out and I believe he  "misappropriated" much less than the likes of Abacha, IBB and Abdulsalami.  The difference with OBJ is that most people know where his money is as his investments are less concealed, secret compared to those before him.

200 million  naira invested in TransCorp for example by OBJ, could have been 200 Billion Naira invested in the same company through fronts had it been IBB, Atiku or Abacha. The way he was castigated for his TransCorp investment is likely to discourage any future leader from openess of any kind, however limited.
Re: The Amazing Wealth Of Obj by Mamajama(m): 4:12pm On May 31, 2007
joshO as much as I like OBJ, are you saying because he invested in Nigeria. if he in did stole should be pardon? a thief is a thief no matter what you do with the money. every leader should be responsible for their actions. Only time will tell, I don't Think Yar Adua will go after OBJ like most people are insinuating.
Re: The Amazing Wealth Of Obj by joshO: 5:09pm On May 31, 2007
The man is, was and will always remain the most corrupt thieving president Nigeria ever had the misfortune of being imposed on her!!!!!!!!

It's the comment above I was responding too. No doubt, OBJ, like virtually all leaders in Nigeria and indeed in the world, enrich themselves one way or another. OBJ is certainly guilty of conflict of interest - that much I'm sure off, but in a country where leaders divert public funds for their personal and selfish interest with inpunity, this will hardly make the top 5 of my list of anti-curruption priorities,
Re: The Amazing Wealth Of Obj by LiquidMind(m): 5:28pm On May 31, 2007
The Amazing Wealth Of Obj , This topic is ridiculous ,,

Can some one in this forum sincerely tell me .

If They Put Honey In Your Mouth Are You Not Going To Lick It ??,
Re: The Amazing Wealth Of Obj by Has(m): 6:22pm On May 31, 2007
To be real, its very hard to be a number one citizen without becoming sincerely richer, but the point and the most painful aspect of it all is that our leaders are enriching themselves without the poor masses at hearts.Indeed no body will have a reason to look into any outgoing leader's accounts or equivalents if at all they represented people's interest.
Re: The Amazing Wealth Of Obj by GNature(m): 9:07am On Jun 02, 2007

The difference with OBJ is that most people know where his money is as his investments are less concealed, secret compared to those before him.

Exactly !

How can anyone in their right mind ever say OBJ is the most corrupt leader Nigeria has ever had like I have read many times on Nairaland ? People are just saying this because they are aware of his assets.

I guess IBB stole nothing from Nigeria's treasury because he doesn't have the equivalent of an Ota farm, plus, no nigerian shares can be traced to him.
Re: The Amazing Wealth Of Obj by chidichris(m): 10:58am On Jun 02, 2007
investing nigeria or outside nigeria has nothing to do with stealling public funds and making ctizens slaves.
if anyone is saying that ibb stole money from nigeria it means obj did not fight corruption as he claimed.
he was not for one day arrested over any corruption charges.
we have in our sentimental life decided to call blue - green and black to white.
ibb and abacha were not elected and as such could not be called presidents obj as far as history will tell is the most corrupt nigerian and he remains a disappointment for not deleievering the bad state of the country which he swore to protect.
what is the nature of our roads, power supply, security, workers welfare, elections, ionflation rate as he hand over.
by the way, he was a president for eight uninterupted years as a well as the petrolium minister for seven years so what does he give back to sucha society that he hijacked the two most important positions for such a long period of time.
shame to him and the day he was born
Re: The Amazing Wealth Of Obj by GNature(m): 11:12am On Jun 02, 2007
if anyone is saying that ibb stole money from nigeria it means obj did not fight corruption as he claimed.

IBB stole money when he was in power. What does OBJ have to do with this ? These are two different times in history

he was not for one day arrested over any corruption charges.

During Obasanjo's term, over $1 billion of money stolen by Abacha was repatriated back to Nigeria, yet Abacha was never arrested
for corruption charges. Just because someone didn't get arrested, doesn't mean they didn't steal money.

ibb and abacha were not elected and as such could not be called presidents obj as far as history will tell is the most corrupt nigerian and he remains a disappointment for not deleievering the bad state of the country which he swore to protect.

So because IBB and Abacha were not elected president justifies their corruption ? It is okay for Abacha to steal over $3 billion because he was not elected president as OBJ ?  Are you listening to yourself ?

by the way, he was a president for eight uninterupted years as a well as the petrolium minister for seven years so what does he give back to sucha society that he hijacked the two most important positions for such a long period of time.

Criticizing his policies is completely different from talking about his net worth. There are lots of threads talking about OBJ's policies, the last time I checked, this thread was about OBJ's amazing wealth. What does his being Petroleum Minister have to do with this thread ?

Please stick to the thread's subject matter.
Re: The Amazing Wealth Of Obj by Ugwumba(m): 11:32am On Jun 02, 2007
GNature:

IBB stole money when he was in power. What does OBJ have to do with this ? These are two different times in history

@GNat, the original author's point, which you sadly, or purposely, missed was that OBJ's anti-corruption fight failed, if knowing that IBB stole our money, nothing was done about him.

PS1 - We Nigerians seem to have this habit of 'splitting hairs' when it comes to corruption. A conflict of interest, which leads to a leader enriching himself is as much of corruption as the brazen looting of the nation's treasury. Until, and unless, we start to think in this manner, corruption, and its attendant impoverishing of our nation, will remain with us.

PS2- In the Netherlands, where I live, a councillor was 'forced' to leave office by his (unaccounted for) entertainment expenses of Euro1,000 (about N170,000). Now, that is zero tolerance for corruption - little wonder that the Netherlands frequently makes the top ten of 'least corrupt' nations in the world.
Re: The Amazing Wealth Of Obj by GNature(m): 12:49pm On Jun 02, 2007
So, Ugwumba are you saying that Obasanjo's inability to recover all the monies stolen prior to 1999 means his war against corruption was a failure ? I won't use that to gauge his level of success in this initiative.

Besides, going after IBB would have just pitched the whole north against him.

Anyway, this is beyond the confines of this thread's subject matter.
Re: The Amazing Wealth Of Obj by tlops(m): 6:39pm On Jun 02, 2007
joshO:

@Bankole01

I think your comments are quite sentimental. I don't think OBJ is as as bad as you make out and I believe he  "misappropriated" much less than the likes of Abacha, IBB and Abdulsalami. 

IBB, Abacha and Abdusalami were military rulers and you don't expect much from them but from democratically elected OBj much is expected. it is even a shame for your to be compaåring Obj and those guys. Any way thumbs up for him,its all over now.
Re: The Amazing Wealth Of Obj by duduyemi: 7:58pm On Jun 02, 2007
[sup]make una leave OBJ jo, which president wont set himself up for retirement, do u think George bush is a full for start this fucking war, america is spendin hundreds of billions on thewar every month, lock heed martin is bagging the fucking contracts, him and chenney are gonna sit back and enjoy after the war is over, they are exporting oil , bush has a fucking oil company, is bang $$ , but does that mean that during bushes time he dint do his work, he did, its life ppl, ceasar w as the fucking richest man in rome,

like for real lets not be naive, it is bound to happen , the real question is how it happens, IBB and ABACHA, straight up looted the treasury, now that is a clear difference from a person setiing him self up and doin somn structural at the same time, the oil blocks sold to dangote , otedola and jmoh ibrahim, are all fronts for obasanjo to make money later, but at the same time, by this new privatisation move there is gonna be more creation of wealtth for them but at the same time they are creating jobs for nigerians, if u have been to dangotes sugar refinery you would no what i am talking about,
O how i will miss OBJ
Re: The Amazing Wealth Of Obj by denex: 8:56pm On Jun 02, 2007
Well, all I have to say is that my uncle opened a poultry farm in 2002; Lasana Farms (earlier known as Adamore Farms). Located in Mowe, Ogun State. Right now, he makes close to N700,000 PROFIT daily. He's acquired various properties in Magodo GRA, acquired massive shares in GTBank and UBA. He's also acquired shares in a Dutch vetinary company: KEPRO bv. His farm is not even 20% the size of Obasanjo Farms.
There's no way OBJ will tell me that he never chucked a little something for himself but I don't think it's as alarming as most Nigerians claim.
Re: The Amazing Wealth Of Obj by fromuk(m): 9:19pm On Jun 02, 2007
Besides, going after IBB would have just pitched the whole north against him. May be he is the president of the north and not NIGERIA

Which means that the fight for corruption was selective, Nobody is above the law as i know. What a stupid opinion from you Gnature.
Re: The Amazing Wealth Of Obj by GNature(m): 4:17am On Jun 03, 2007
fromuk,

Watch your mouth young man ! Learn how to be civil.

When I said the north would have come after OBJ, I wasn't condoning obasanjo not going after IBB, I was making a factual statement.

People can't voice their opinion in a civilized manner on this forum.

There is nothing about what I said that is stupid, watch your mouth.

(1) (Reply)

For Real? How Jonathan Made Nigeria Proud In Washington Dc / Cote D'ivoire Crisis: Returnees Flood Osun Communities / Christmas Day Bomb Blast Rocks St Theresa Catholic Church Madalla

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.