Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,113 members, 7,821,825 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:32 PM

Resurrection Contradictions - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Resurrection Contradictions (926 Views)

Errors And Biblical Contradictions In The Bible / Jesus: Contradictions In Resurrection And Ascension / DEBATE: Pls Present All The Biblical Contradictions And Lies Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Resurrection Contradictions by AntiChristian: 11:28am On Feb 01, 2020
Forty percent of the gospels focus on the last week of Jesus’s life, from the triumphant entry into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday to the crucifixion, resurrection, and final teachings, and they differ on many points.

A popular Christian response is to say that just because only Matthew wrote about the dead coming out of their graves and walking around Jerusalem doesn’t mean that it didn’t happen. (Yeah—the other gospel writers must not have thought that Jesus causing the dead to reanimate and walk around Jerusalem, seen by many, wasn’t worth writing about.)

Or that just because John says “Mary Magdalene went to the tomb,” that doesn’t mean that many other women weren’t also with her as Luke says (“Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the others with them”).

Or that just because only Matthew has Jesus riding on two donkeys, that doesn’t mean the other gospels’ reference to just one disagrees. (Yeah, it pretty much does.)

Or that Paul’s reference to 500 eyewitnesses to the risen Jesus might’ve been compelling to him, but it wasn’t worth writing about in any gospel.

From who Peter denied Jesus, to Jesus’s last words, to who the women saw at the tomb, to whether Mary Magdalene recognized Jesus or not, to how many days Jesus stayed after his resurrection, the various accounts differ.

1. What were the last words of Jesus? Three gospels give three different versions.
2. Who buried Jesus? Matthew says that it was Joseph of Arimathea. No, apparently it was the Jews and their rulers, all strangers to Jesus (Acts).
3. How many women came to the tomb Easter morning? Was it one, as told in John? Two (Matthew)? Three (Mark)? Or more (Luke)?
4. Did an angel cause a great earthquake that rolled back the stone in front of the tomb? Yes, according to Matthew. The other gospels are silent on this extraordinary detail.
5. Who did the women see at the tomb? One person (Matthew and Mark) or two (Luke and John)?
6. Was the tomb already open when they got there? Matthew says no; the other three say yes.
7. Did the women tell the disciples? Matthew and Luke make clear that they did so immediately. But Mark says, “Trembling and bewildered, the women went out and fled from the tomb. They said nothing to anyone, because they were afraid.” And that’s where the book ends, which makes it a mystery how Mark thinks that the resurrection story ever got out.
8. Did Mary Magdalene cry at the tomb? That makes sense—the tomb was empty and Jesus’s body was gone. At least, that’s the story according to John. But wait a minute—in Matthew’s account, the women were “filled with joy.”
9. Did Mary Magdalene recognize Jesus? Of course! She’d known him for years. At least, Matthew says that she did. But John makes clear that she didn’t.
10. Could Jesus’s followers touch him? John says no; the other gospels say yes.
11. Where did Jesus tell the disciples to meet him? In Galilee (Matthew and Mark) or Jerusalem (Luke and Acts)?
12. Who saw Jesus resurrected? Paul says that a group of over 500 people saw him (1 Cor. 15:6). Sounds like crucial evidence, but why don’t any of the gospels record it?
13. Should the gospel be preached to everyone? In Matthew 28:19, Jesus says to “teach all nations.” But hold on—in the same book he says, “Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans” (Matt. 10:5). Which is it?

1 Like

Re: Resurrection Contradictions by DoctorAlien(m): 3:03pm On Feb 01, 2020

1 Like

Re: Resurrection Contradictions by AntiChristian: 5:21pm On Feb 01, 2020
DoctorAlien:
I posted an article on this long before now:

https://www.nairaland.com/4102701/christs-resurrectionfour-accounts-one-reality#up

This does not in any way answer any of the question posed?
Re: Resurrection Contradictions by Nobody: 7:20am On Mar 22, 2020
AntiChristian:

The Gospels were written down many decades after the actual events being passed down by oral traditions by different disciples and that explains the variations. The story of oduduwa told in the 17th century would be quite different from the one told in the 20th century, stories change slowly over time.
Re: Resurrection Contradictions by AntiChristian: 9:12am On Mar 22, 2020
veeshock:

The Gospels were written down many decades after the actual events being passed down by oral traditions by different disciples and that explains the variations. The story of oduduwa told in the 17th century would be quite different from the one told in the 20th century, stories change slowly over time.

This proves that the Gospels were just hearsay accounts of what some people thought happened back then.
Re: Resurrection Contradictions by MuttleyLaff: 11:29am On Mar 22, 2020
DoctorAlien:
I posted an article on this long before now:
https://www.nairaland.com/4102701/christs-resurrectionfour-accounts-one-reality#up
Doc, are you minding the comedian, customer mi daada ni, my dearest beloved muslim brother and friend ni

AntiChristian:
Of course you will say this since you are more confused than a goat that got lost straying into an astroturf field

AntiChristian:
This proves that the Gospels were just hearsay accounts of what some people thought happened back then.

MuttleyLaff:
"1Many people have set out to write accounts about the events that have been fulfilled among us.
2They used the eyewitness reports circulating among us from the early disciples.
3Having carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I also have decided to write an accurate account for you, most honorable Theophilus,
4so you can be certain of the truth of everything you were taught.
"
- Luke 1:1-4

Eyewitnesses accounts, investigative work etcetera helped in filling in any gap(s)
Eyewitnesses accounts, investigative work etcetera helped in building up what we have as the gospel today.

AntiChristian, my dearest beloved muslim brother and friend, the Bible may hurt with the truth, but it will never descend to comfort with a lie and/or hearsay. The point in there, is that there is no lie and/or hearsay about God, in the Gospel (i.e. Bible.) Everything was carefully investigated, so you can be certain of the truth of everything being taught/learned from the Gospel.
Re: Resurrection Contradictions by Nobody: 4:56pm On Mar 22, 2020
AntiChristian:

That is a rash conclusion mr. Some things happened and were reported, however mixed up they appear its not reasonable to dismiss all of it as mere "hearsay of peoples thoughts".
Re: Resurrection Contradictions by AntiChristian: 6:05pm On Mar 22, 2020
veeshock:

That is a rash conclusion mr. Some things happened and were reported, however mixed up they appear its not reasonable to dismiss all of it as mere "hearsay of peoples thoughts".

OK, so how do we discern which is true or not among the 13 contradictions presented in the OP.
Re: Resurrection Contradictions by AntiChristian: 6:16pm On Mar 22, 2020
MuttleyLaff:
Doc, are you minding the comedian, customer mi daada ni, my dearest beloved muslim brother and friend ni

Of course you will say this since you are more confused than a goat that got lost straying into an astroturf field

Eyewitnesses accounts, investigative work etcetera helped in building up what we have as the gospel today.

AntiChristian, my dearest beloved muslim brother and friend, the Bible may hurt with the truth, but it will never descend to comfort with a lie and/or hearsay. The point in there, is that there is no lie and/or hearsay about God, in the Gospel (i.e. Bible.) Everything was carefully investigated, so you can be certain of the truth of everything being taught/learned from the Gospel.

You love bragging Sha!

Where is the reference of this investigations? Did Luke and Mark copy from disciples Matthew and John?

Who is Theophilus that Luke was writing to?

I expect you to decode the obvious contradictions in the OP.
Re: Resurrection Contradictions by MuttleyLaff: 6:45pm On Mar 22, 2020
AntiChristian:
You love bragging Sha!
I am 10000% sure that just like an elephant doesnt forget, you rember me telling you about, there, in the western part of the country, is a colloquial, that says: "Ti ogun ẹni, ba daniloju, a maa jẹnlẹngẹ, fi gba ori" which when loosely translated means: "When you have confidence in your juju/jazz charm, you can gently knack it and also safely smack it on your head, without being at a serious disadvantage, all because you've everything under control"

Please never again mistake the confidence in what and all I know to be bragging. No, nah, I suffer the ignorant/ignoranus gladly. It is my cross and by the grace of our Lord and Saviour of the whole world wide earth, it is a labour of love, lol. Capisce?

AntiChristian:
Where is the reference of this investigations? Did Luke and Mark copy from disciples Matthew and John?

Who is Theophilus that Luke was writing to?
"1Many people have set out to write accounts about the events that have been fulfilled among us.
2They used the eyewitness reports circulating among us from the early disciples.
3Having carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I also have decided to write an accurate account for you, most honorable Theophilus,
4so you can be certain of the truth of everything you were taught.
"
- Luke 1:1-4

"Alaye mi, you go school nah, shebi o kawe, shebi o mọ iwe ka" loosely translated means "My Mr Big man, you attended college, didnt you. I thought you're literate, thought you read and know book" Read Luke 1:1-4 above again, to see the reference made of these investigations

No, Luke did not copy from disciples Matthew and John. Of course, mister smart alec, after much obvious due dilligence and double cross checking Luke copied from the disciple Mark and other sources (i.e. he used material not found in the other three gospels)

AntiChristian:
I expect you to decode the obvious contradictions in the OP.
You know you shouldn't throw stones about, being that you live in a glass house Quran. Tut, tut, tut. Naughty, naughty, naughty, naughty and an ill-advised thing to do
Re: Resurrection Contradictions by Nobody: 6:53pm On Mar 22, 2020
AntiChristian:

OK, so how do we discern which is true or not among the 13 contradictions presented in the OP.
If you go to your place of work and before you get back home your home is razed down by fire from say "high current", someone tells you the fire started from your kitchen and another says the fire started from the bedroom, would knowing where exactly the fire started change anything at that point in time? Hope you get my drift?

1 Like

Re: Resurrection Contradictions by Funaki: 6:54pm On Mar 22, 2020
veeshock:

Are you saying that some parts of the gospels aren't true? Because many believers believe the Bible is infallible.
Re: Resurrection Contradictions by Nobody: 7:18pm On Mar 22, 2020
Funaki:

Are you saying that some parts of the gospels aren't true? Because many believers believe the Bible is infallible.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion I guess...what most dont understand is the Bible is a book for inspiration and not a book of history or science.

1 Like

Re: Resurrection Contradictions by AntiChristian: 6:30am On Mar 23, 2020
veeshock:

If you go to your place of work and before you get back home your home is razed down by fire from say "high current", someone tells you the fire started from your kitchen and another says the fire started from the bedroom, would knowing where exactly the fire started change anything at that point in time? Hope you get my drift?

You're still saying the Bible is a mixture of truth, guesses and falsehood.

How is God involved in this?
Re: Resurrection Contradictions by Nobody: 7:37am On Mar 23, 2020
AntiChristian:

You're still saying the Bible is a mixture of truth, guesses and falsehood.

How is God involved in this?
That is why the Bible says "the letter killeth"...when you decide to take everything literally...you die before your time. Like I said the Bible is a book for inspiration, or moral correction. If you have a little kid that wants to continue taking all the sugary stuff in the fridge even while he is stooling how do you go about it?

When the adulterous woman was brought before Jesus Christ what happened? Does the law say anyone caught in adultery should be stoned to death? What did Jesus Christ teach about the Sabbath? Was he telling lies? The bottom line is "the letter killeth"...hope you can understand?
Re: Resurrection Contradictions by AntiChristian: 7:53am On Mar 24, 2020
veeshock:

That is why the Bible says "the letter killeth"...when you decide to take everything literally...you die before your time. Like I said the Bible is a book for inspiration, or moral correction. If you have a little kid that wants to continue taking all the sugary stuff in the fridge even while he is stooling how do you go about it?

When the adulterous woman was brought before Jesus Christ what happened? Does the law say anyone caught in adultery should be stoned to death? What did Jesus Christ teach about the Sabbath? Was he telling lies? The bottom line is "the letter killeth"...hope you can understand?

The reason why Jesus of the Bible go against stoning the Adulterous lady was because the accusers too were big time sinners! Jesus wasn't against the stoning per say!

He never came to abolish the law...

And lastly I remember Jesus telling one rich man to fulfill the commandments when he asked about gaining eternal life.

So which verse is "the letter killeth" in the Bible?
Re: Resurrection Contradictions by Nobody: 11:37am On Mar 24, 2020
AntiChristian:

The reason why Jesus of the Bible go against stoning the Adulterous lady was because the accusers too were big time sinners! Jesus wasn't against the stoning per say!

He never came to abolish the law...

And lastly I remember Jesus telling one rich man to fulfill the commandments when he asked about gaining eternal life.

So which verse is "the letter killeth" in the Bible?
Wrong mr, do you think all the people stoning others all along were saints? The Laws/Commandments are absolute, whoever breaks one is guilty of breaking all; why? Because Holiness is absolute, there is no partial holiness, there is no "small" sin or "big" sin.
Man disobeyed Gods command just by eating the forbidden fruit in Eden and was condemned to death for the single act.
Does God want us to go about "stonning" sinners? Did Jesus say "...neither do I condemn you, go and sin no more"? Jesus Christ did not abolish the law but expounded our understanding.
The letter killeth, but the Spirit gives Life...that is 2nd Cor 3:6.
Re: Resurrection Contradictions by AntiChristian: 12:11pm On Mar 24, 2020
veeshock:

Wrong mr, do you think all the people stoning others all along were saints? The Laws/Commandments are absolute, whoever breaks one is guilty of breaking all; why? Because Holiness is absolute, there is no partial holiness, there is no "small" sin or "big" sin.
Man disobeyed Gods command just by eating the forbidden fruit in Eden and was condemned to death for the single act.
Does God want us to go about "stonning" sinners? Did Jesus say "...neither do I condemn you, go and sin no more"? Jesus Christ did not abolish the law but expounded our understanding.
The letter killeth, but the Spirit gives Life...that is 2nd Cor 3:6.

That's your own believe. All Sins are not same. Killing someone is bigger that stealing. And man was not condemned when Adam disobeyed God. Only Adam sinned and only him was punished.

What was the law of Moses from Jehovah on adultery?

And why didn't Jesus follow this law if it wasn't abolished?

Apparently your Letter killeth was from Paul!
Re: Resurrection Contradictions by Nobody: 2:52pm On Mar 24, 2020
AntiChristian:

That's your own believe. All Sins are not same. Killing someone is bigger that stealing. And man was not condemned when Adam disobeyed God. Only Adam sinned and only him was punished.

What was the law of Moses from Jehovah on adultery?

And why didn't Jesus follow this law if it wasn't abolished?

Apparently your Letter killeth was from Paul!

My own belief kini? Who is St Paul? An antichrist or a disciple of Jesus Christ?? What problem do you have with the epistles of St Paul dude?
Get the facts clearly...if you have understanding.
1. In Genesis God told man the day he eats of the fruit he would die, when man ate the fruit he didnt die like we think we understand death. Was man immortal before he ate of the fruit? No. So man was supposed to "die" at some point. What death did God mean?
2. The Bible says the wages of sin is death, again what is death? Do babies die during birth? What is their sin? Did Jesus Christ die on the cross? What was His sin
3. When God says adulterers and murderers should be stoned to death, what death could He mean? What is the 7th commandment? Would stonning someone to death mean breaking the 7th command?
4. Who is the Judge of Men? Who is qualified to Judge a man of sin A fellow sinner Or someone righteous? What does the Bible say about righteousness?

Now tell me what makes stealing different from murder or fornication And what is your source
Re: Resurrection Contradictions by AntiChristian: 3:35pm On Mar 24, 2020
veeshock:

My own belief kini? Who is St Paul? An antichrist or a disciple of Jesus Christ?? What problem do you have with the epistles of St Paul dude?
Get the facts clearly...if you have understanding.
1. In Genesis God told man the day he eats of the fruit he would die, when man ate the fruit he didnt die like we think we understand death. Was man immortal before he ate of the fruit? No. So man was supposed to "die" at some point. What death did God mean?

1. Jesus did made a mistake in selecting his disciples or why didn't he appoint Paul? Of what use is the appointment of another disciples after Jesus' death?
veeshock:

2. The Bible says the wages of sin is death, again what is death? Do babies die during birth? What is their sin? Did Jesus Christ die on the cross? What was His sin

2. I don't believe Jesus was crucified nor did he die. Everyone dies whether you are sinful or not. Jesus as well as all born of woman are sinners.
What is man, that he should be pure, or one born of woman, that he should be righteous? Job 15:14
Jesus too is unclean:
Who can bring clean out of unclean? No one! Job 14:4
Surely I was brought forth in iniquity; I was sinful when my mother conceived me. Psalm 51:5

veeshock:

3. When God says adulterers and murderers should be stoned to death, what death could He mean? What is the 7th commandment? Would stonning someone to death mean breaking the 7th command?
3. Stonning someone to death is an exception to that rule. So many tribes were killed by Jehovah's Prophets. Even Jehovah Himself killed people with flood, etc. (People of Noah and Sodom)

See killings the LORD approved despite "thou shall not kill" law!
Numbers Chapter 31: 7-12
7 And they warred against the Midianites, as the LORD commanded Moses; and they slew all the males. 8 And they slew the kings of Midian, beside the rest of them that were slain; namely, Evi, and Rekem, and Zur, and Hur, and Reba, five kings of Midian: Balaam also the son of Beor they slew with the sword. 9 And the children of Israel took all the women of Midian captives, and their little ones, and took the spoil of all their cattle, and all their flocks, and all their goods. 10 And they burnt all their cities wherein they dwelt, and all their goodly castles, with fire. 11 And they took all the spoil, and all the prey, both of men and of beasts. 12 And they brought the captives, and the prey, and the spoil, unto Moses, and Eleazar the priest, and unto the congregation of the children of Israel, unto the camp at the plains of Moab, which are by Jordan near Jericho.

veeshock:

4. Who is the Judge of Men? Who is qualified to Judge a man of sin A fellow sinner Or someone righteous? What does the Bible say about righteousness?

Now tell me what makes stealing different from murder or fornication And what is your source[/quote]

4. God is the Judge of men. He gives laws to be followed. God is qualified to judge men through his revelations.

The onus is on you to present your proof that a killer is same as a fornicator!
Re: Resurrection Contradictions by Nobody: 3:42pm On Mar 24, 2020
Mr op,I pity you,my GOD his a consuming fire,you better stop spreading falsehold and lastly seun should ban you
Re: Resurrection Contradictions by AntiChristian: 4:03pm On Mar 24, 2020
otuekong1:
Mr op,I pity you,my GOD his a consuming fire,you better stop spreading falsehold and lastly seun should ban you

Point out the falsehood please!
Re: Resurrection Contradictions by Nobody: 5:43pm On Mar 24, 2020
AntiChristian:

1. Jesus did made a mistake in selecting his disciples or why didn't he appoint Paul? Of what use is the appointment of another disciples after Jesus' death?

2. I don't believe Jesus was crucified nor did he die. Everyone dies whether you are sinful or not. Jesus as well as all born of woman are sinners.
What is man, that he should be pure, or one born of woman, that he should be righteous? Job 15:14
Jesus too is unclean:
Who can bring clean out of unclean? No one! Job 14:4
Surely I was brought forth in iniquity; I was sinful when my mother conceived me. Psalm 51:5

3. Stonning someone to death is an exception to that rule. So many tribes were killed by Jehovah's Prophets. Even Jehovah Himself killed people with flood, etc. (People of Noah and Sodom)

See killings the LORD approved despite "thou shall not kill" law!
Numbers Chapter 31: 7-12
7 And they warred against the Midianites, as the LORD commanded Moses; and they slew all the males. 8 And they slew the kings of Midian, beside the rest of them that were slain; namely, Evi, and Rekem, and Zur, and Hur, and Reba, five kings of Midian: Balaam also the son of Beor they slew with the sword. 9 And the children of Israel took all the women of Midian captives, and their little ones, and took the spoil of all their cattle, and all their flocks, and all their goods. 10 And they burnt all their cities wherein they dwelt, and all their goodly castles, with fire. 11 And they took all the spoil, and all the prey, both of men and of beasts. 12 And they brought the captives, and the prey, and the spoil, unto Moses, and Eleazar the priest, and unto the congregation of the children of Israel, unto the camp at the plains of Moab, which are by Jordan near Jericho.

Now tell me what makes stealing different from murder or fornication And what is your source

4. God is the Judge of men. He gives laws to be followed. God is qualified to judge men through his revelations.

The onus is on you to present your proof that a killer is same as a fornicator!
The last command Jesus gave to the disciples was "go into the world and make disciples of all nations"...why should St Paul be an exemption mr? You still havnt said your grouse with Apostle Paul.

Why do you think Jesus wasnt crucified? Why did he come to earth as a human? You are really very ignorant. Go read Isaiah 53 and Dan 9. Besides non-christian historians also documented about Jesus Christ...
Again who is Jesus Christ? The Bible calls Him the Arm of God and The Word...God being Spirit. He is the manifestation of God as a man...in flesh and blood as a sacrifice for the redemption of man. He has to be pure to be acceptable. When the Bible says no one is pure, it refers to the nature of man, the tendency in man to commit a sin, not the act of committing sin itself. Was it recorded anywhere Jesus Christ committed a sin? Not to my knowledge.

Concerning killing someone the express command is thou shall not kill, you still do not understand the conversation Jesus had with the aduterous woman. Yes she was caught in sin, what would be the effect of killing her at that instant? She would go to hell. When Adam sinned in Eden what did God do? Kill him? No he was given a chance to repent. Same thing Jesus did with the woman, "go and sin no more".
Concerining the people say God killed, who is the Creator and Judge again? Do you know if they where transformed to a better place through physical death? It may seem painful and wicked by your own judgement but in fact you do not know it all.

Concerning stealing or killing...like Ive told you already the underlying issue is "disobedience or rebellion", once you disobey God you are dead instantly in the Spirit, wether it is by stealing or lying or commiting adultery or murder, it makes no difference. There is nothing like half holiness or quarter holiness, it is either you are holy or unholy. If anyone thinks otherwise he is only judging with the limitation of mans emotion.
Re: Resurrection Contradictions by orunto27: 6:04pm On Mar 24, 2020
Total Disbelief. Atheist's Faith.
Re: Resurrection Contradictions by AntiChristian: 8:25am On Apr 12, 2020
orunto27:
Total Disbelief. Atheist's Faith.

Your holy spirit is wrong. Tell him to guide you appropriately.
Re: Resurrection Contradictions by Nobody: 8:37am On Apr 12, 2020
Erémodé!

Kids play! grin
Re: Resurrection Contradictions by orunto27: 9:13am On Apr 12, 2020
It is a matter of Religion and my business as a Christian.

(1) (Reply)

Heavy Shock. From HIV Positive To HIV NEGATIVE. Only God Can Do This. / What Happens When a Narcissist Becomes a Church Leader? - Dr. Sam Vaknin / Pope Endorses Same-sex Civil Unions, Says Homosexuals Are Children Of God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.