Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,172 members, 7,821,974 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' (6453 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu Charged With Treasonable Felony By FG / Dokpesi Can Be Charged With Conspiracy – Sagay / Diezani To Be Charged Alongside Her Mother - Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by sizzlers(m): 1:13am On Dec 13, 2010
angry angry angry angry angry angry i shudder at u OH AMERICANS
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by mrofficial(m): 1:41am On Dec 13, 2010
STOCKHOLM (Reuters) – WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who angered Washington by releasing secret cables, said in a documentary on Sunday he faced prosecution by the United States and was disappointed with how Swedish justice had been abused.

Assange has been remanded in custody in Britain after a European arrest warrant was issued by Sweden, which wants to question Assange about allegations made by two women of sexual crimes. He has denied the allegations.

"I came to Sweden as a refugee publisher involved with an extraordinary publishing fight with the Pentagon, where people were being detained and there is an attempt to prosecute me for espionage," Assange said in an interview in the documentary, aired on Swedish public television.

"So I am unhappy and disappointed with how the Swedish justice system has been abused," the 39-year-old Australian added in the documentary, which was made before his arrest.

Assange faces a fresh British hearing on December 14. His Swedish lawyer has said he will fight extradition to Sweden.

One of his British lawyers, Jennifer Robinson, told ABC News in London on Friday that a U.S. indictment of Assange was imminent, but the report offered no further details or comment by Robinson why she believed charges were likely to be filed.

The U.S. Justice Department has been looking into a range of criminal charges, including violations of the 1917 Espionage Act, that could be filed in the WikiLeaks case involving the release of hundreds of confidential and classified U.S. diplomatic cables.

(Reporting by Patrick Lannin)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_wikileaks_assange
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by Mobinga: 1:57am On Dec 13, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Correction -- The Espionage act does not in anyway specify that only citizens of the united states or those who only commit crimes on american soil can be charged. I am not certain what factory these twists on what is continue to come from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espionage

Also would like to draw your attention to the portion below from the same Wiki entry on the Espionage act

Now, I would also like to remind folks of the events that took place some months ago when Russian spies where cornered in the US and then released back to Russia at the end of the day.
These people sef. Jumping to anything they read on the internet. This comes from the same page "This page was last modified on 12 December 2010 at 05:49.".

Check it yourself. You just go about reading some crappy article and use it as a basis of silly arguments
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by ziga: 2:38am On Dec 13, 2010
Laws were made by Humans, and they can change depending on who the victim is. Just like all humans are equal, but some are more equal than others. ROFLMFAO!!!

I see so many people speaking from both ends of their digestive tract here. lol.

Maybe an argument can be made that the method Assange used in getting the information was illegal. But that doesn't change the content of the information.

Prosecute the young man if you want. But a lot of eyes have already been opened.

The bottom line is this nobody holy pass. Na de person wey dem catch, na him be armed robber.
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by jaygetta(m): 6:25am On Dec 13, 2010
@ Chrisbenegor: You got that wrong, man, sowwwweeee! The right to keep silent and abstain from incriminating yourself (or others) in the eyes of law enforcement is actually protected by the Fifth Amendment, not the First. Just said to correct you on that. That said, Kobojunkie is still as unintelligent as a Neanderthal and will clearly do anything to come off as Einstein!
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by vislabraye(m): 11:41am On Dec 13, 2010
I remembered when US submarine found it's way into Nigeria waters, no one ever blamed them for doing so. Rather, we were blaming our military for being so lax. Now that the same thing has happened to them, all hell is let loose. US also do the same thing- they spy into other countries secrets and publish them.

Let's not forget that they were they same people who invaded Iraq with the information they got from UN; they send espionage to other countries. They are not as holy as we think they are. Instead of complaining and suing they should look for ways to bring that web site down.

As for Assange, he's lucky he didn't try this to Russia. By now we'll be asking for his where abouts
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by Slyr0x: 11:44am On Dec 13, 2010
To start with Wikileaks is a whistleblowing organization and the way it works is 'Once you have access to classified information and you feel the whole world should see it, you send it to wikileaks(through an encrypted channel) and they make it public, host it on several domains et al'.

The US Cables were actually leaked by Captain Bradley Manning, a U.S. Army intelligence analyst who's had access to the documents for so long now that he couldn't keep. He had this conscience issue and he felt the US z doing more evil than good as purported and he had to let it out. He contacted 'Julian Assange' Wikileaks founder, sent the cables to him and the whole thing was meant to be between just the 2 of them.

Then there is a 3rd Character 'Adrian Lamo': A hacker best known for hacking the New York Times‘ internal computer system who had been the subject of multiple reports, from which Manning learned about him and attempted to reach out. He is a hacker that broke into New York Times some years back and eventually turned himself in to the Authorities. After Captain Bradley turned in the cables to Julian, he went ahead to contact Adrian. He got his YIM, started chatting with him and eventually mentioned it to Lamo that he leaked some US Classified cables to Wikileaks. Lamo in turn reported their chat to US Authorities wv 'em Snapshots attached. Bradley Manning is in jail right now and if convicted of all charges, Manning could face a prison sentence of as much as 52 years.

Read on Bradley Manning here http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/tag/bradley-manning/page/3/
You can get the chats here--> http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/06/wikileaks-chat/

Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by lekanbar(m): 12:14pm On Dec 13, 2010
Espionage indeed, after all has been said and done, this man wasn't the one that leaked these secrets, people used the tool he created

http://lekanbaruwa./2010/12/13/googles-top-searches-of-2010/
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:41pm On Dec 13, 2010
@jaygetta
I tire my brother, I did not know whcih amendment that one was that is why I wrote it out. I did not mean it was the first amendment, the fifth covers the right to remain silent you are correct.
As for koboJUNKIE she should try and ply her trade in the romance sextion lol
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by Kobojunkie: 4:37pm On Dec 13, 2010
lekanbar:

Espionage indeed, after all has been said and done, this man wasn't the one that leaked these secrets, people used the tool he created

http://lekanbaruwa./2010/12/13/googles-top-searches-of-2010/

Can you provide a reputable source for the portion of your post in Bold? Just so as to prove you even have an idea of what is going on.
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by safariman(m): 8:30pm On Dec 13, 2010
If this man loves freedom so much, I can't wait for him to go after Hugo Chavez and Amadenija secret cable messages and publish them
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by Kobojunkie: 8:43pm On Dec 13, 2010
safariman:

If this man loves freedom so much, I can't wait for him to go after Hugo Chavez and Amadenija secret cable messages and publish them

He will probably never see light of day if he attempts that. ROFLMAO!!
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by Nobody: 9:46pm On Dec 13, 2010
Kobojunkie:

[s]Correction -- The Espionage act does not in anyway specify that only citizens of the united states or those who only commit crimes on american soil can be charged.[/s] I am not certain what factory these twists on what is continue to come from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espionage

Also would like to draw your attention to the portion below from the same Wiki entry on the Espionage act

Now, I would also like to remind folks of the events that took place some months ago when Russian spies where cornered in the US and then released back to Russia at the end of the day.

what kind of law convicts a citizen of another country even when the crime is not committed on America soil ? It's a stu-pid law and for your information,the russians were caught on US soil and swapped with US spies that were also arrested for espionage on russian soil.so stop twisting the whole rubbish to suit yourself.
US law is exclusive to only people within the US.US law is not an international law.mschew.
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by Kobojunkie: 10:12pm On Dec 13, 2010
~Bluetooth:

what kind of law convicts a citizen of another country even when the crime is not committed on America soil ? It's a stu-pid law and for your information,the russians were caught on US soil and   swapped with US spies that were also arrested for espionage on russian soil.so stop twisting the whole rubbish to suit yourself.
US law is exclusive to only people within the US.US law is not an international law.mschew.

Please stop arguing from a point of ignorance! It really does not do you good at all. Countries have been able to prosecute folks for crimes not necessarily committed on their grounds since time immemorial. Please stop asking these ignorant questions -- it is getting harder and harder to respond. I mean seriously, what do you expect me with this loco-logic you have above? And how can you call my statement a twist when you yourself CONFIRMED that the russian spy situation was FACT, even as you go ahead and inject a delusion of yours that there were also American spies caught in Russia during the same period?
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by Nobody: 10:42pm On Dec 13, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Please stop arguing from a point of ignorance! It really does not do you good at all. Countries have been able to prosecute folks for crimes not necessarily committed on their grounds since time immemorial. Please stop asking these ignorant questions -- it is getting harder and harder to respond. I mean seriously, what do you expect me with this loco-logic you have above? And how can you call my statement a twist when you yourself CONFIRMED that the russian spy situation was FACT, even as you go ahead and inject a delusion of yours that there were also American spies caught in Russia during the same period?

This is always your problem with half-cooked information tht you spread even when you have no idea of them.I'm not going to help with any information if there is any spies swap between US and Russia because there was indeed a swap.
Go and upgrade yourself on that.
Assange is neither a spy nor did he commit any crime on US and above all,US law is NOT an inernational law.
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by Kobojunkie: 11:09pm On Dec 13, 2010
Sigh!!!!

Anyways, for anyone tired of latching on to moronic conspiracy theories and really interested in learning what happened this year and where the spies that were exchanged(4 already in jail, some for almost a decade in russia) for the Russian spies came from , please visit the link below

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/07/09/politics/washingtonpost/main6661624.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by Nobody: 11:34pm On Dec 13, 2010
Now you can admit that there was a 'swap
Now tell me how Assange falls into the category of a spy since all these spies actually committed espionage on America and russian soil ?
Is America law an International law ?
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by Kobojunkie: 7:53am On Dec 14, 2010
To anyone out there looking for a picture of the wikileaks operation, apparently it has been seriously funded operation from the very start . . . This is not just a poor journalist looking to expose the truth as some of us have come to believe. shocked

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1337014/WikiLeaks-bunker-Julian-Assanges-subterranean-Bond-villain-den.html
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by Musiwa13: 3:53pm On Dec 14, 2010
when embassy staff turn themself as informant for another govt or withhold legal government document to citizen for personal selfish purpose because they have collected bribe or contract or even oil block or  money for information, which is what goes on in  most embassy in africa. that is espionage, in canada it is a serious case. It  is life jail , you better sit in naija and dont travel. and you can be arrested in another country like wikileak founder.  espionage is a serious crime.

what is wrong is wrong, you now try to cover up a crime, makes it worst, instead of assange to settle it out of court or apology. espionage is a serious crime. You die in jail at your age. Life time in some countries or execution.

How did nigeria leak robin sander memo or information to wikileak.
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:43pm On Dec 14, 2010
Musiwa,:

when embassy staff turn themself as informant for another govt or withhold legal government document to citizen for personal selfish purpose because they have collected bribe or contract or even oil block or  money for information, which is what goes on in  most embassy in africa. that is espionage, in canada it is a serious case. It  is life jail , you better sit in naija and dont travel. and you can be arrested in another country like wikileak founder.  espionage is a serious crime.

what is wrong is wrong, you now try to cover up a crime, makes it worst, instead of assange to settle it out of court or apology. espionage is a serious crime. You die in jail at your age. Life time in some countries or execution.

How did nigeria leak robin sander memo or information to wikileak.
Dude are you typing from a computer made of bamboo sticks in the very remote villages of Nigeria? What has mtn done now grin grin
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by Becomrich12: 4:13am On Dec 15, 2010
hmm , some people think , i dont know something. but the dont know. it is dead they may face.
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by Kobojunkie: 1:50pm On Feb 24, 2011
[size=14pt]UK court agrees Assange extradition to Sweden[/size]
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/24/us-britain-wikileaks-idUSTRE71M7PH20110224?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

(Reuters) - A British court has agreed to extradite WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange to Sweden where he is accused of sex crimes, dismissing claims such a move would breach his human rights.

Swedish prosecutors want to question Assange about allegations of sexual misconduct, which he denies, made by two WikiLeaks volunteers during his time in Sweden last August.

One alleges Assange, who has angered the U.S. government by releasing thousands of secret U.S. diplomatic cables on his website, sexually molested her by ignoring her request for him to use a condom during sex.

The second woman has said Assange had sex with her while she was asleep and that he was not wearing a condom.

Prosecutors say the second allegation falls into the least severe of three categories of violation in Sweden, carrying a maximum of four years in jail.

During three days of legal argument earlier this month, lawyers for Assange argued he would not get a fair trial in Sweden and said Swedish prosecutors had mishandled the case against the 39-year-old Australian computer expert.

They argued that he might wind up being sent to the United States where he could face execution.

Assange's lawyers also accused Sweden's Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt of creating a "toxic atmosphere" in Sweden and damaging his chances of a fair trial by portraying him as "public enemy number one."

However, Judge Howard Riddle dismissed the arguments and ordered Assange be extradited although his lawyer said they would appeal against the decision.

The Swedish prosecution authority had no immediate comment but would post a statement on its website shortly, a spokeswoman for the office said.
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by justwise(m): 2:01pm On Feb 24, 2011
Kobojunkie:

[size=14pt]UK court agrees Assange extradition to Sweden[/size]
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/24/us-britain-wikileaks-idUSTRE71M7PH20110224?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

Yup, obviously he is going to appeal the decision but at the end he will be going to Sweden, he is buying time.
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by Mobinga: 3:08pm On Feb 24, 2011
Yes. The US has won again. I dislike nations who fold under pressure. The swedish government has proven that they are mindless weak mudaphucking clones. I pray them and the US rot in hell.
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by justwise(m): 3:17pm On Feb 24, 2011
Mobinga:

Yes. The US has won again. I dislike nations who fold under pressure. The swedish government has proven that they are mindless weak mudaphucking clones. I pray them and the US rot in hell.

You are just ranting, if he got nothing to hide then he should go to Sweden to clear his name, there no point hiding in the UK.
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by Mobinga: 3:43pm On Feb 24, 2011
You think everything is straight forward? He should just go there and clear his name? So he gets sniped? He gets an unjust hearing and gets thrown behind bars?    He gets thrown and gets killed in jail? What's wrong with you?
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by mrofficial(m): 5:38pm On Feb 24, 2011
^^ Don't waste your time on justwise justdull.
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by justwise(m): 6:53pm On Feb 24, 2011
Mobinga:

You think everything is straight forward? He should just go there and clear his name? So he gets sniped? He gets an unjust hearing and gets thrown behind bars? He gets thrown and gets killed in jail? What's wrong with you?

Why would he be thrown into jail without trial? If he has done nothing wrong and he has all the evidence to prove that then he should be the 1st person to book flight to Sweden to clear his name. He preaches openess and justice, now this is the time for him to practice what he preaches
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by justwise(m): 6:54pm On Feb 24, 2011
mr.official:

^^ Don't waste your time on justwise justdull.

You are just a waste of space
Re: Assange 'to Be Charged With Espionage' by mrofficial(m): 7:13pm On Feb 24, 2011
See who is talking. You think with your nose!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Zahra Buhari Updated Her Status On Facebook / Covid19: Ikpeazu Shares Eba And Egusi As Palliative / You Are A Baby Presidential Candidate- Doyin Okupe Blasts Peter Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.