Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,281 members, 7,846,284 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 01:29 PM

Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? (1328 Views)

I’m An Adult, I’m Not A Kid. I'm Just Suffering From Dwarfism - 22-year-old / Isit Legally Right For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? / “I Can’t Wait For My Parents To Die, So I Can Inherit All” - Guy On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Slikosliko57: 10:07pm On Feb 03, 2020
TheArchangel:
You should be glad your parents can afford rehab. Your mates are left to the harsh elements on the streets for rituals and organ harvests.

Rehab isn't a bad thing but it should be used rightly. Just you drink coffee every morning doesn't mean you are addicted to coffee. Nigerians are all so biased with this native mentality of "whatever your parents do is right." Some parents do the absolutely wrong things and go quiet about it. Some parents are unreasonable. Some parent need a psychologist themselves to fix up how they think. Fela was a smoker, why didn't his parent bundle him to a rehab even though he was performing on stage almost butt naked? These people I'm taking about haven't displayed any form of madness whatsoever, so why should any of them be forced out to rehab against their will? These people had no form of Unusual behavior whatsoever, so why?
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Slikosliko57: 10:33pm On Feb 03, 2020
funmisticqueen2:
Yes.

Especially as there is proof of psychosis due to the effects of alcohol and weed.

What if there was no form of Unusual behavior from these people? What if there is no proof of psychosis? Alcohol doesn't lead to psychosis. This is a serious issue that should be dealt with.
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Nobody: 5:28am On Feb 04, 2020
Slikosliko57:

What if there was no form of Unusual behavior from these people? What if there is no proof of psychosis? Alcohol doesn't lead to psychosis. Weed doThis is a serious issue that should be dealt with.
Weed does. you might think there's no form of unusual behavior. No smoke without fire.

Uncle better let the person go through rehab
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Slikosliko57: 3:26pm On Feb 04, 2020
funmisticqueen2:
Weed does. you might think there's no form of unusual behavior. No smoke without fire.

Uncle better let the person go through rehab

Weed does, but not alcohol and cigarettes so what happens when these people don't take weed? Off course you would know when there are forms of unusual behavior, for example like talking to self. If the person really needs rehab, then let them go there by all means, but if they take care of personal hygiene, don't talk to self, know how to communicate properly grammatically, don't have a disorganised behaviour, have no thoughts of suicide or self-harm, and no issues of aggression then whoever the person is in question is quite stable. But even the police and soldiers have issues of aggression most times but that doesn't mean they need rehab. Most Nigerians are naturally aggressive. Aggression is somewhat part of the Lagos life, most male Nigerians out there believe that a fight is the best way to solve issues. Does it mean they all need rehab?
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Feb 04, 2020
Slikosliko57:

Weed does, but not alcohol and cigarettes so what happens when these people don't take weed? Off course you would know when there are forms of unusual behavior, for example like talking to self. If the person really needs rehab, then let them go there by all means, but if they take care of personal hygiene, don't talk to self, know how to communicate properly grammatically, don't have a disorganised behaviour, have no thoughts of suicide or self-harm, and no issues of aggression then whoever the person is in question is quite stable. But even the police and soldiers have issues of aggression most times but that doesn't mean they need rehab. Most Nigerians are naturally aggressive. Aggression is somewhat part of the Lagos life, most male Nigerians out there believe that a fight is the best way to solve issues. Does it mean they all need rehab?
Yes.

A lot of our agberos need psych evaluation
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Slikosliko57: 9:37pm On Feb 04, 2020
funmisticqueen2:
Yes.

A lot of our agberos need psych evaluation

Abgeros only? How about the police men (police brutality), and the soldiers. Do they need rehab as well. Deep down inside me I know you get my point, but you just wanna have the native Nigerian mentality.
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Feb 04, 2020
Slikosliko57:

Abgeros only? How about the police men (police brutality), and the soldiers. Do they need rehab as well. Deep down inside me I know you get my point, but you just wanna have the native Nigerian mentality.
Aren't they all the same?
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by genii96(m): 10:25pm On Feb 04, 2020
Slikosliko57:

What if there was no form of Unusual behavior from these people? What if there is no proof of psychosis? Alcohol doesn't lead to psychosis. This is a serious issue that should be dealt with.

An addict can never help themselves, that's why they are addicts. A parent forcing an alcoholic, drug or cigar addict to rehanyoa absoki fine, those claiming they are being wrong either don't care about the health of the person or are just idiots who know nothing about the long term effects of these things

If you saw your child was a hopeles drunk, you would let him be?
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by pushups44: 3:57am On Feb 05, 2020
The problem is that even if you successfully get a man to rehab against his will, he cannot be rehabilitated if he does not want to change or fails to recognize he has an addiction problem. Also, laws can vary depending on jurisdiction. Someone mentioned Florida. Florida allows for the involuntary detention of those who pose a threat to themselves or others due to their mental state. I recall the law is known as the Baker Act. I'll probably ask my friend who is a Coral Gables lawyer about that. But Nigeria can be a totally different situation given its own customs and laws. Like I said, regardless of the laws, if the person does not want to commit to rehab, the rehab will probably not be effective.

To be clear, even in Florida simply drinking and smoking is probably not enough to be considered a danger to oneself or others.
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by pushups44: 3:58am On Feb 05, 2020
genii96:

An addict can never help themselves, that's why they are addicts. A parent forcing an alcoholic, drug or cigar addict to rehanyoa absoki fine, those claiming they are being wrong either don't care about the health of the person or are just idiots who know nothing about the long term effects of these things

But the problem is the addict has to recognize that he or she has a problem to overcome the addiction.
Re: Isit LegallyRight For A Parent Or Parents To Violently Force An Adult To Rehab? by Slikosliko57: 12:08pm On Feb 06, 2020
genii96:

That's not the point here. The point is, going to a club every Friday doesn't make one a hopeless drunk. And cigarettes aren't against the law. Some people are addicted to coffee, why don't they think they need rehab?

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Prostitute Is Controlling My Husband In Our Home / TOP FIRS DIRECTOR, OLALEKAN ONIKOYI DEBUNKS DOMESTIC VIOLENCE ALLEGATIONS ON WIF / My Husband Cheated On Me With 11 Girls,then I Forgave Him,then I Did Four Sum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.