Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,864 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:13 PM

The Demonization Of Our Ancestors - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Demonization Of Our Ancestors (752 Views)

African Ancestors That Jump Into Ocean To Escape Slave Trade (pics And Video) / Before Civilization Came To Nigeria, What Type Of Bed Did Our Ancestors Sleep On / The Ancestors: What You Must Know About Your Ancestors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Demonization Of Our Ancestors by Rapmoney(m): 8:50am On Feb 03, 2020
It is no news that many people in this part of the world would readily blame anything for their personal problems if presented with the slightest opportunity. People are ready to blame the buckets in their bathroom or the mortar and pestle in their kitchen for personal problems they face if they can.

Many Nigerians, especially those who live in the cities possess a warped belief that majority of the troubles they face in life are directly or indirectly caused by the 'sins' of their ancestors/forefathers. They are easily carried away by the deceptive words of self acclaimed religious leaders who dish out different big titles to themselves. "Your ancestors did a lot of evil many years ago and that is what is affecting your progress in life. We need to deliver you from every ancestral spirit and bla bla bla bla". That is the common statement. It is a very popular one for that matter. The irony here is that the same person who says this to you and who claims to know what about hundreds of years ago will not be able to foresee his or her death/misfortune. I mean, how can one tell you what your ancestors did hundreds of years ago but cannot predict his or her own future? If my ancestors were evil, it means yours were probably evil too. Now, who delivered you from the sins of yours?

In Nigeria, there is a strange feeling that surrounds the name 'ancestor'. A feeling of evil, a feeling of atrocities, a feeling of taboo, a feeling of felonies and crime, a feeling of blood shed, a feeling of...I can go on and on with this. This name, 'ancestor' carries the same evil tag as the word 'village people' in the minds of many, if not worse.

Adolf Hitler of Germany, with his troops killed millions of Jews unjustly in and out of concentration camps during World War II. Poisonous gases were even used to kill innocent folks. These same set of men who carried these evil acts are ancestors to successful people living in Germany today. I am talking about people who live in a sane society where the system works and human life is respected and valued.

Some centuries ago, a good number of people across Europe practised witchcraft and wizardry. Sorceries were the order of the day and courses of people and things were altered. These same set of men and women are ancestors to flourishing people across Europe. So what did our ancestors do that ancestors from other parts of the world did not do and even worse?

My brothers and sisters, stop living in fear and wallowing in unnecessary self induced torture. Go out there and unleash your potentials. Anyone can be successful; it all lies in your beliefs. You did not come to this world to be tormented for the 'sins' of someone who died in 1722! Mentality is one of the most powerful phenomenon in our lives on the journey to achieve our dreams. Remember, it will either make you or destroy you.

Cc: Seun, Lalasticlala, Mynd44
RoyalRoy

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Demonization Of Our Ancestors by CodeTemplar: 11:39am On Apr 12, 2020
lol
Re: The Demonization Of Our Ancestors by Nobody: 11:43am On Apr 12, 2020
Our poor, poor ancestors
They don’t deserve the hate/mistrust/paranoia that has been unleashed on them
When there is a mismatch of religion/belief/spirituality, this would always happen.

2 Likes

Re: The Demonization Of Our Ancestors by Pavore9: 1:48pm On Apr 12, 2020
Insightful.
Re: The Demonization Of Our Ancestors by Rapmoney(m): 1:55pm On Apr 12, 2020
Pavore9:
Insightful.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: The Demonization Of Our Ancestors by Rapmoney(m): 1:56pm On Apr 12, 2020
merahki:
Our poor, poor ancestors
They don’t deserve the hate/mistrust/paranoia that have been unleashed on them
When there is a mismatch of religion/belief/spirituality, this would always happen.

Nice analysis.

2 Likes

Re: The Demonization Of Our Ancestors by musicwriter(m): 2:40pm On Apr 12, 2020
Rapmoney:
It is no news that many people in this part of the world would readily blame anything for their personal problems if presented with the slightest opportunity. People are ready to blame the buckets in their bathroom or the mortar and pestle in their kitchen for personal problems they face if they can.

Many Nigerians, especially those who live in the cities possess a warped belief that majority of the troubles they face in life are directly or indirectly caused by the 'sins' of their ancestors/forefathers. They are easily carried away by the deceptive words of self acclaimed religious leaders who dish out different big titles to themselves. "Your ancestors did a lot of evil many years ago and that is what is affecting your progress in life. We need to deliver you from every ancestral spirit and bla bla bla bla". That is the common statement. It is a very popular one for that matter. The irony here is that the same person who says this to you and who claims to know what about hundreds of years ago will not be able to foresee his or her death/misfortune. I mean, how can one tell you what your ancestors did hundreds of years ago but cannot predict his or her own future? If my ancestors were evil, it means yours were probably evil too. Now, who delivered you from the sins of yours?

In Nigeria, there is a strange feeling that surrounds the name 'ancestor'. A feeling of evil, a feeling of atrocities, a feeling of taboo, a feeling of felonies and crime, a feeling of blood shed, a feeling of...I can go on and on with this. This name, 'ancestor' carries the same evil tag as the word 'village people' in the minds of many, if not worse.

Adolf Hitler of Germany, with his troops killed millions of Jews unjustly in and out of concentration camps during World War II. Poisonous gased were even used to kill innocent folks. These same set of men who carried these evil acts are ancestors to successful people living in Germany today. I am talking about people who live in a sane society where the system works and human life is respected and valued.

Some centuries ago, a good number of people across Europe practised witchcraft and wizardry. Sorceries were the order of the day and courses of people and things were altered. These same set of men and women are ancestors to flourishing people across Europe. So what did our ancestors do that ancestors from other parts of the world did not do and even worse?

My brothers and sisters, stop living in fear and wallowing in unnecessary self induced torture. Go out there and unleash your potentials. Anyone can be successful; it all lies in your beliefs. You did not come to this world to be tormented for the 'sins' of someone who died in 1722! Mentality is one of the most powerful phenomenon in our lives on the journey to achieve our dreams. Remember, it will either make you or destroy you.

Its a very curious topic you have here.

Ironically, the same Europeans and Arabs who gave us christianity and Islam to demean our own ancestors, had the most evil of all ancestors. European ancestors were demonic thieves, vicious, hateful, deadly, and indeed, personification of evil. Yet, Europe prospers today and nobody talks about their ''ancestral curses'' being a problem to them.

If anybody looks into history, our African ancestors were actually the most innocent of all nations. Africans, Asian, South and North America, these are the only people that developed humane culture in ancient times. I need to disclaim that Japan and Mongolia are not included for Asia.

No other culture on earth has shed more blood than Europeans and Arabs, so if ancestral curses were real, Europeans and Arabs ought to be the poorest of all nations.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Demonization Of Our Ancestors by CAPSLOCKED: 2:46pm On Apr 12, 2020
THIS IS IMPORTANT.

2 Likes

Re: The Demonization Of Our Ancestors by Professorcplus(m): 2:53pm On Apr 12, 2020
@op very Insightful. But this is the selling point of religious leader.

Dk Olukoya: Every witches and wizard in my father's house die by fire.

Witch:

3 Likes

Re: The Demonization Of Our Ancestors by Biglittlelois(f): 2:54pm On Apr 12, 2020
True words.

1 Like

Re: The Demonization Of Our Ancestors by crackland: 3:04pm On Apr 12, 2020
Polygamy is also something that our ancestors were about, and it should not be demonized. cool

4 Likes

Re: The Demonization Of Our Ancestors by cococandy(f): 3:28pm On Apr 12, 2020
That’s what you get from over religiousness

8 Likes

Re: The Demonization Of Our Ancestors by jnrbayano(m): 4:15pm On Apr 12, 2020
cheesy

Your bondage or freedom bothers on your beliefs not any ancestor of yours...

Believe right..

Thanks Op

4 Likes

Re: The Demonization Of Our Ancestors by Rapmoney(m): 4:42pm On Apr 12, 2020
jnrbayano:
cheesy

Your bondage or freedom bothers on your beliefs not any ancestor of yours...

Believe right..

Thanks Op

Thank you too.

1 Like

Re: The Demonization Of Our Ancestors by bukatyne2: 5:35pm On Apr 12, 2020
Rapmoney:

Adolf Hitler of Germany, with his troops killed millions of Jews unjustly in and out of concentration camps during World War II. Poisonous gased were even used to kill innocent folks. These same set of men who carried these evil acts are ancestors to successful people living in Germany today. I am talking about people who live in a sane society where the system works and human life is respected and valued.

Are you religious?
Do you believe in the Spirituality?

If no, this would not make sense to you.
Re: The Demonization Of Our Ancestors by xxxXXXxxx: 6:07pm On Aug 13, 2020
OP you made important point with this write up
Re: The Demonization Of Our Ancestors by Hayastark: 6:26pm On Aug 13, 2020
You are very correct, the Jews and Romans that killed Jesus, don't batter their ancestors like we do.

(1) (Reply)

10 Important Things Your Child Should Learn Before The Age Of Ten / Trending Video: Lady Refuses To Kiss Her Groom On Their Wedding Day / The Menace Of Having Too Many Children.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.