Stats: 3,157,995 members, 7,835,336 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

Us Stocks Pick Alert - Investment (53) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Us Stocks Pick Alert (620206 Views)

MTN Shares Pick Alert / My Stock Plays in US Stocks Market / Buying US Stocks From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) ... (433) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by ChybuzzDD(m): 12:12pm On May 18, 2020
Check out Clovis Oncology(CLVS). It's making some premarket moves.
The FDA approved their drug, Rubraca/Rucaparib on friday for the treatment of advanced prostate cancer in certain patients.

Who knows how far it can go?
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by seyisanya(m): 12:15pm On May 18, 2020
YerYer:

Sir, Aurora Cannabis (ACB) just reported good earnings and investors rewarded the stock with a 68% gain. But keep in mind this used to be a $127 stock back in 2018, so at the current price of $11.20, it is over 1000% off from it's all time high.
Now to the question you asked, I know you want to know if you should buy the stock. I don't know your risk tolerance, but generally I will say stay away from this one. If you like the marijuana space there's GrowGeneration (GRWG), one can enter at $5.65. There's Neptune Wellness (NEPT), one can enter at $2.9. But be aware that these are speculative investments for a very short term frame. Since ACB reported an impressive sales growth few days ago, other marijuana stocks have gained nicely.

Again this isn't an investment advice, just shedding light on the stock you brought up. One thing I like about this thread and online forums and co is that they give me ideas and most times I find my biggest gainers this way. I will go ahead and add those stock price alerts for GRWG & NEPT so if they cross those prices, I will be alerted and I may buy a few shares. I will also watch ACB of course for possible entries if any.

Nice read, boss. I never knew ACB reached such high in 2018, I thought the new high was due to the reverse stock split because I could not find my entry price on the chart via Google/investing.com anymore. I bought ACB in March at 71 cents then later it fell to 21 cents but I held on tight. A reverse stock split was done last Monday and still continued to fall until last Friday that I went from more than 60% loss to breakeven in just one trading day! It is currently more than 20% pre-market. I'll watch this one closely for a sweet exit after waiting it out. #Patience
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 12:23pm On May 18, 2020
drskyfly007:
Why on earth is this sorrento stock not on bamboo..over 200% gain on Friday and pre market today still shows there will be more gains.

The Fintechs have various criteria in picking stocks that gets added to their board ranging from too risky and volatile stocks under $1 as they can depreciate and wipe out an entire portfolio.
Sorrento perhaps didn't meet some of the criteria completely perhaps as at some few months ago.

It is in a high risk-high reward sector (pharmaceuticals) and has rewarded holders very highly this time.

Let's hope these heavy swings locates some of the stocks on the Fintechs.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by ijedeikorodu(m): 12:29pm On May 18, 2020
Oil prices spike above $30 for first time in over a month

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/oil-prices-spike-above-30-first-time-over-month

Oil prices climbed above $30 for the first time in more than a month Monday as production cuts by the world’s largest producers and a slow return of demand continue to provide support.

West Texas Intermediate crude oil, the U.S. benchmark, gained 9.51 percent to $32.23 per barrel and was on track for its first close above $30 since April 8. Brent crude, the international standard, was higher by 6.43 percent at $34.59 a barrel.

WTI futures for June delivery expire Tuesday with prices having seen a sharp reversal from last month’s memorable drop below zero.

The oil markets are looking up again.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by arduino: 12:35pm On May 18, 2020
Abeg make NASDAQ-100 index fall small to help my SQQQ ministry. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by arduino: 12:36pm On May 18, 2020
ChybuzzDD:
Check out Clovis Oncology(CLVS). It's making some premarket moves.
The FDA approved their drug, Rubraca/Rucaparib on friday for the treatment of advanced prostate cancer in certain patients.

Who knows how far it can go?
How do you access premarket information on bamboo?
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by ChybuzzDD(m): 12:59pm On May 18, 2020
arduino:

How do you access premarket information on bamboo?

I use Yahoo Finance App. You can download it.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by xoxocandy(f): 1:03pm On May 18, 2020
sonnie10:
Sorrento Therapeutics. I have never seen anything like this. .
It’s high time I pay more attention to Health stocks
Hello
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by ChybuzzDD(m): 1:12pm On May 18, 2020
Moderna's vaccine has just been reported to show some positive results on their phase 1 study, with the stock surging in premarket.

Looks like a good buy today.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by millennium2012: 1:28pm On May 18, 2020
Thanks my Chairman.

You're not far from the truth on the bolded. But they actually slashed it to $5/withdrawal since the inception of COVID-19.
In any case, one should stay where he can maximize profit. That is what actually count.

The Market outlook is really looking very exciting today due to the +ve news from Moderna. MRNA has gained +37% at the premarket. I congratulate those already in the bus.

More green to us all.

YerYer:

Welcome back bro, we all have lives to live outside the internet; sometimes it's a juggling act.
I tried looking up etoro fees but it looks like they have a spread fee for non-europeans, but if you are trading $2000 or more, the fees are little to none. But what I don't like is the fact that they charge $25 withdrawal fee and a $10/month inactivity fee. If I want to withdraw my own money I still have to pay a fee? Then if my account is inactive, they will still charge $10/month for that.
I guess one has to consider the total costs and if they still come out ahead, then that's fine.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 1:54pm On May 18, 2020
ChybuzzDD:
Moderna's vaccine has just been reported to show some positive results on their phase 1 study, with the stock surging in premarket.

Looks like a good buy today.

Great job you are doing bro.
So many stocks seeking attention suddenly.
Every tangible news of Covid-19 vaccine breakthrough gets the market surging.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by ChybuzzDD(m): 1:56pm On May 18, 2020
OakPearl:

Great job you are doing bro.
So many stocks seeking attention suddenly.
Every tangible news of Covid-19 vaccine breakthrough gets the market surging.

Exactly. Except Gilead that has sworn not to move.
I might dump it at a loss today to jump into other profitable ones.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by sonnie10: 2:00pm On May 18, 2020
xoxocandy:
Hello
Hi
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 2:06pm On May 18, 2020
OakPearl:
EARNINGS OUTLOOK FOR THE WEEK AHEAD.

Please find below anticipated earnings for the new week.
I hope someone does their due diligence in picking a great win this week.
Cheers!

Tuesday, May 19:
Home Depot Inc (HD), NetEase Inc (NTES), ORIX Co. (IX), Shinhan Financial Group Co., Ltd. (SHG), Walmart Inc (WMT),

Walmart Inc. $125.94
Walmart Inc. (WMT) is confirmed to report earnings at approximately 6:00 AM ET tomorrow Tuesday, May 19, 2020. The consensus earnings estimate is $1.12 per share on revenue of $129.24 billion. Investor sentiment going into the company's earnings release has 79% expecting an earnings beat. Consensus estimates are for earnings to decline year-over-year by 0.88% with revenue increasing by 4.29%. Short interest has decreased by 30.6% since the company's last earnings release while the stock has drifted higher by 6.3% from its open following the earnings release to be 7.4% above its 200 day moving average of $117.32. Overall earnings estimates have been revised lower since the company's last earnings release.

On Friday, May 15, 2020 there was some notable buying of 6,764 contracts of the $130.00 call expiring on Friday, May 22, 2020. Option traders are pricing in a 6.3% move on earnings and the stock has averaged a 2.2% move in recent quarters.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by arduino: 2:24pm On May 18, 2020
ChybuzzDD:

I use Yahoo Finance App. You can download it.
OK. Thanks.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by ijedeikorodu(m): 4:06pm On May 18, 2020
Some US Banks are refusing to fund oil and gas investments

https://www.axios.com/energy-secretary-oil-gas-investments-be21fb3d-ef63-49ec-aaec-eb596d647136.html

Bank restrictions on the financing of oil and gas drilling in the Arctic are akin to past practices —known as redlining — of not loaning to communities of color, Energy Secretary Dan Brouillette told Axios in an exclusive interview.

The big picture: A decades-long battle over Arctic drilling is suddenly escalating even as the world grapples with a pandemic. Five of America’s six biggest banks have recently announced they won’t finance oil and gas development in the Arctic, prompting conservative and industry backlash.

Not sure how much impact this will have in the long-term
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by NIKEDEEDS(m): 4:16pm On May 18, 2020
seyisanya:

Nice read, boss. I never knew ACB reached such high in 2018, I thought the new high was due to the reverse stock split because I could not find my entry price on the chart via Google/investing.com anymore. I bought ACB in March at 71 cents then later it fell to 21 cents but I held on tight. A reverse stock split was done last Monday and still continued to fall until last Friday that I went from more than 60% loss to breakeven in just one trading day! It is currently more than 20% pre-market. I'll watch this one closely for a sweet exit after waiting it out. #Patience

Aurora has climbed to 19 dollars
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Alexandre7: 6:10pm On May 18, 2020
YerYer:

These are companies scheduled to report earnings this week. Investors in these companies want to know how the company did in the last quarter (Jan-March). Companies report revenue, expense, profit, balance sheet and give guidance for the next quarter. Some traders pay close attention to the earnings calendar so they can trade certain stocks while predicting which way the stock price will move right before or after earnings. This is a very dangerous trading system unless you are a very experienced investor with a high risk tolerance. I attached a copy of the earnings calendar for this week, I'm a visual person.

I finally opened a trade with TD Ameritrade today after reading all the pages. You guys are an inspiration.

I've a couple questions:

I haven't traded stocks before so I invested $2000

Then I bought 25 shares of American Airlines, 25 shares of United Airlines, 25 shares of Delta Airlines & 25 shares of Southwest Airlines.

Do you think these are good stock?

I'm planning to hold long term till at least December.

If travel resumes then the stocks will fly.

What about Bankruptcy?
Can all four airlines go bankrupt as the same time?

I feel like all four airlines are too big to fail and the government will bail them out before the go bankrupt

What do you think about hotel stocks like Marriot?

I'm also planning on investing in that sector long term but just wanted a different opinion.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Alexandre7: 6:11pm On May 18, 2020
OakPearl:

YerYer has done justice to your query sir.

I finally opened a trade with TD Ameritrade today after reading all the pages. You guys are an inspiration.

I've a couple questions:

Then I bought 25 shares of American Airlines, 25 shares of United Airlines, 25 shares of Delta Airlines & 25 shares of Southwest Airlines.

What about Bankruptcy?

I feel like all four airlines are too big to fail and the government will bail them out before the go bankrupt

I'm also planning on investing in that sector long term but just wanted a different opinion.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by DreManuel(m): 6:24pm On May 18, 2020
Alexandre7:

I've a couple questions:

What about Bankruptcy?

I'm a rookie myself but I bought 20 shares of Delta today. Given your investment horizon, I think they are good picks.

However, I think the portfolio is not diversified enough given that risks are correlated because they are in the same industry. Nevertheless, some of those stocks are undervalued because the EPS multiples are relatively low compared with the market, so I think you may have gotten them at a bargain. So, If I want to invest further, I would look at another industry especially those blue-chip companies with undervalued stocks.

I gambled on ACB on Friday and cashed out this morning with a yield of ~40%. Tbh that stock is way overpriced, but I'm looking for similar opportunities to trade within a day and take away my "loot" but I'm learning to be patient because I lost money on SRNE, but I'm glad I cut my losses before it became really bad.

I'm using robinhood and might switch to more sophisticated brokers as I gain experience but I encourage you to learn how to use a limit order, stop-loss order, market order, etc. Also, watch out for frequent trading so as not to be categorized as a Pattern Day Trader. I almost made a mistake there.

Again, I'm still a rookie, I'm only using my knowledge of finance plus a limited knowledge of the market, so take my submission with a grain of salt.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Hottdawgg: 6:25pm On May 18, 2020
millennium2012:
I officially opened a new local account with Chaka. So fa, I think it's quite better than my previous experience. At least I save $.50 for every trade I execute.

Am currently seating on small profit (+13.28%) from my first trade (Liveperson, LPSN). It's a provider of mobile and online business messaging technologies that power digital communications between brands and consumers.

The only downside I noticed from chaka is that there's no virtual account to paper trade.

I have been with Chaka for a while, I think you are going to enjoy them. I don't know if it's just me or whether it's a privilege all of their clients enjoy but I noticed that for sometime now my trades have been in real time. Well I push a button and in 10 seconds my order is filled!! And my portfolio and other details are updated. I have maintained a busy account since Feb and its like a dream.

Recently I considered funding a new portfolio with one of the competition. My people say dem not from one place dey look masquerade. I placed an order around 8pm for a stock on NYSE and I am told I have to wait till the following day for execution. I am like WTF. Of course I wasn't happy about this. I vacillated a while but a few days later I took my money and left. The whole experiment cost me 50k in forex charges and left a sour taste in my mouth.

It made me value Chaka the more.

Currently the triad of Chaka and the others take 1% for buying and 1% for selling (I may be wrong). That's a lot. They might end up losing high networth clients to foreign brokers unless they make adjustments. They see us as high risk but I am beginning to see an increased level of confidence in the Nigerian investor among direct foreign players.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YerYer: 6:32pm On May 18, 2020
seyisanya:

Kudos to you bro, ACB is up big today. What's your plan now?

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YerYer: 7:00pm On May 18, 2020
Alexandre7:

I've a couple questions:

What about Bankruptcy?

Welcome on board!! You've taken a bold step towarads a path I strongly believe will lead to financial independence if done right. I remember coming across a similar tread like this on nairaland some years ago and that's was how I started investing in the stock market. I like TD Ameritrade, it is a broker for serious investors.

I like all four airline stocks and I still believe buying them at these levels is literally free money. As the economy opens up, people will travel once more. And like you said, we still need the airlines, will the govt just let them all go bankrupt? I don't think so. Unlike the cruise lines, the airlines are essential and yes the government will step in to save them (maybe not all) just like they did with the big banks in 2008.

You plan to hold these stocks for over 6 months, so I think even with uncertainty and volatility in the travel sector, you will still come out ahead as long term investor.

I will urge you to get a general understading of graphs so as to identify potential resistance and floor levels, it may help you trim or add to your position along the way.

Marriott and other leisure and entertainment stocks have been beaten to a pulp. The risk reward at these levels are enticing especially for a long term investor. But like Dremanuel said, try not to put all your eggs in one basket. Diversify your portfolio so it can withstand shocks in the market. Being fully invested in the travel and leisure space only can be risky, so if you have capital to buy more stocks, look into the health, consumer discretionary, financials and tech sectors.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YerYer: 7:05pm On May 18, 2020
YerYer:
Got back into Morderna (MRNA) at the $56.75 level. The stock rallied yesterday after announcing their COVID-19 vaccine is moving to phase II testing. But do not expect any magic here, vaccines takes years to refine even in perfect conditions. I will say a stop sell order at $45 to take me out but I plan to ride this stock to $73.

Morderna (MRNA) shot up as high as $86 today after announcing positive results for its COVid-19 vaccine. My limit sell order was executed, I'm now out of this position.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Alaska90(m): 7:15pm On May 18, 2020
Hello Guys,

Please what's your take on Webull platform

I am a newbie

I want to register with them now and start trading

Advertised as 0% commission and 0 deposit

Please the gurus in the house, what is your take on this?

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YerYer: 7:30pm On May 18, 2020
Alaska90:
Hello Guys,

Please what's your take on Webull platform

I am a newbie

I want to register with them now and start trading

Advertised as 0% commission and 0 deposit

Please the gurus in the house, what is your take on this?

Webull is reputable and safe.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by millennium2012: 7:32pm On May 18, 2020
You're quite right about them.

You won't believe that I funded my naira a/c again yesterday evening, and the whole process was finished today that I was able to trade global stock by 3pm. I was really glad about their responsiveness.

All the order was executed instantly (mkt order).

Am also trying to see if I can open another account in TD God willing it will be successful.

Hottdawgg:

I have been with Chaka for a while, I think you are going to enjoy them. I don't know if it's just me or whether it's a privilege all of their clients enjoy but I noticed that for sometime now my trades have been in real time. Well I push a button and in 10 seconds my order is filled!! And my portfolio and other details are updated. I have maintained a busy account since Feb and its like a dream.

Recently I considered funding a new portfolio with one of the competition. My people say dem not from one place dey look masquerade. I placed an order around 8pm for a stock on NYSE and I am told I have to wait till the following day for execution. I am like WTF. Of course I wasn't happy about this. I vacillated a while but a few days later I took my money and left. The whole experiment cost me 50k in forex charges and left a sour taste in my mouth.

It made me value Chaka the more.

Currently the triad of Chaka and the others take 1% for buying and 1% for selling (I may be wrong). That's a lot. They might end up losing high networth clients to foreign brokers unless they make adjustments. They see us as high risk but I am beginning to see an increased level of confidence in the Nigerian investor among direct foreign players.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by seyisanya(m): 8:14pm On May 18, 2020
YerYer:

Kudos to you bro, ACB is up big today. What's your plan now?
Boss, we keep learning. The reason for the surge was because of their better-than-expected earnings report released last week. I'll continue to follow the news but will most likely exit this week or next.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by abuabdullah: 8:21pm On May 18, 2020
YerYer:

Welcome on board!! You've taken a bold step towarads a path I strongly believe will lead to financial independence if done right. I remember coming across a similar tread like this on nairaland some years ago and that's was how I started investing in the stock market. I like TD Ameritrade, it is a broker for serious investors.

I like all four airline stocks and I still believe buying them at these levels is literally free money. As the economy opens up, people will travel once more. And like you said, we still need the airlines, will the govt just let them all go bankrupt? I don't think so. Unlike the cruise lines, the airlines are essential and yes the government will step in to save them (maybe not all) just like they did with the big banks in 2008.

You plan to hold these stocks for over 6 months, so I think even with uncertainty and volatility in the travel sector, you will still come out ahead as long term investor.

I will urge you to get a general understading of graphs so as to identify potential resistance and floor levels, it may help you trim or add to your position along the way.

Marriott and other leisure and entertainment stocks have been beaten to a pulp. The risk reward at these levels are enticing especially for a long term investor. But like Dremanuel said, try not to put all your eggs in one basket. Diversify your portfolio so it can withstand shocks in the market. Being fully invested in the travel and leisure space only can be risky, so if you have capital to buy more stocks, look into the health, consumer discretionary, financials and tech sectors.

I like the maturity of your response.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Alexandre7: 11:24pm On May 18, 2020
YerYer:

Do you mind listing some of the health, consumer discretionary, financials and tech sectors you're invested in.

I'm planning on diversifying my portolio as well.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Alexandre7: 11:29pm On May 18, 2020
DreManuel:

I'm a rookie myself but I bought 20 shares of Delta today. Given your investment horizon, I think they are good picks.

However, I think the portfolio is not diversified enough given that risks are correlated because they are in the same industry. Nevertheless, some of those stocks are undervalued because the EPS multiples are relatively low compared with the market, so I think you may have gotten them at a bargain. So, If I want to invest further, I would look at another industry especially those blue-chip companies with undervalued stocks.

I gambled on ACB on Friday and cashed out this morning with a yield of ~40%. Tbh that stock is way overpriced, but I'm looking for similar opportunities to trade within a day and take away my "loot" but I'm learning to be patient because I lost money on SRNE, but I'm glad I cut my losses before it became really bad.

I'm using robinhood and might switch to more sophisticated brokers as I gain experience but I encourage you to learn how to use a limit order, stop-loss order, market order, etc. Also, watch out for frequent trading so as not to be categorized as a Pattern Day Trader. I almost made a mistake there.

Again, I'm still a rookie, I'm only using my knowledge of finance plus a limited knowledge of the market, so take my submission with a grain of salt.

Do you have a mechanism of picking your stocks for short term plays?

I'm planning on making some short term plays with penny stocks but want to do my due diligence first.

I'm mostly buying on market order, but with time I'll become used to limit order, stop-loss order.

Taking it gradually one at a time so as not to confuse myself.

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) ... (433) (Reply)

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians / Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94