Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,243 members, 7,829,443 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:04 AM

Mother In Law Issues - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mother In Law Issues (5700 Views)

Pablo Classic Fasaki's Mother, Bola Fasaki. Is She The Youngest Mother-In-Law? / Man Impregnates His Mother-In-Law In Nasarawa (Photo) / 17-Year-Old Boy Buys A Car For His Mother In Lagos. See Reactions (Photo, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mother In Law Issues by Auntyesther(f): 9:05pm On Feb 04, 2020
mimimile93:
if u are the lady on ur profile pls work on ur tommy. U almost killed it but d tommy put u off.
Oh thank you dear... am already doing that but man!! its very hard tho

1 Like

Re: Mother In Law Issues by mimimile93: 9:07pm On Feb 04, 2020
Jenny44life:

LOL
I know this was going to be your follow up response. So your initial post does not tell you what kind of trash person you are? It is you I pity.
Imagine Allah sitting in his heaven and he receives the kind of prayer you sent to him towards me. It is you his wrath will fall on. Everyday you pray five times but it is so easy for you to pray for other people's deaths. Rubbish individual
my initial post was to see if u are realy what u portrate to b here. Now i have no doubt that u talked back at ur MIL.

As u are planning to keep dat man away from his mom, may ur daughter in-law do worse and if u dare complain, may Allah kill u
Re: Mother In Law Issues by mimimile93: 9:09pm On Feb 04, 2020
Auntyesther:
Oh thank you dear... am already doing that but man!! its very hard tho
u are welcome. Do more of sit-ups.
Re: Mother In Law Issues by Alooone: 9:13pm On Feb 04, 2020
Me is the added cost and expenses am even worried about....as for those things u said she said when she visited the last time, are you sure it's not your husband that told her those things..

1 Like

Re: Mother In Law Issues by Jenny44life: 9:15pm On Feb 04, 2020
bukatyne:
@Jenny44life:

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

Your husband is good man. His weakness is his inability to stand up to his mom which can be explosive if not properly managed.

My advice:

Forgive your MIL as regards the first issue. Now to this: irrespective of your plans, your husband will not protect you from his mom when the bubble burst. So it really lies on your shoulders to be diplomatic and avoid issues with her.

First, she doesn't know your due date so you can give her two weeks after (or any other timeline you can pull off). So she is not there when you are having the baby. You might have to shelf your plans of special baby bonding and welcome her if she arrives when you just return from the hospital.

For backup, you might want to have a trusted family member with you in the hospital since she is already booking flights. I am very very weary about a MIL insisting she is present at the birth of her grandchild. Maybe it is the Nigerianness in men thinking. Some families have rituals done for new borns with their placenta, first birth water and/or sponge and hair. Be very careful.

Also prepare your mind that she might stay longer than she decided to; she is retired.

During her stay, you need to learn to overlook whatever doesn't have an actual negative impact on you.

I understand it is not going to be easy: your home should be your space however, it is what it is at this point.

Goodluck.

I don't think she has the intentions of doing ritual.
She was present for my sister in law's birth and has been talking about how wonderful the experience was. That it brought her to tears of joy and so on.
I guess she wants to experience it with all her grand kids.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mother In Law Issues by Mizwisdom(f): 9:21pm On Feb 04, 2020
mimimile93:
my initial post was to see if u are realy what u portrate to b here. Now i have no doubt that u talked back at ur MIL.

As u are planning to keep dat man away from his mom, may ur daughter in-law do worse and if u dare complain, may Allah kill u

Damn, what exactly is your problem?! you seem to be a "mama's boy" that's a red flag for any sensible woman. No woman will go ahead and marry you if you say such a thing to her, a man who picks his mum over his wife is an immature kid, you shouldn't be here, this place is not for your kind. Stop wishing her death, you go live your life the way you want, leave others to do what they want too. You're so insecure, your upbringing is questionable, even if she has a male child may he never be like you, God forbid, I'm sure she will do a better job at bringing her child up.

17 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Issues by bukatyne(f): 9:24pm On Feb 04, 2020
Jenny44life:

I don't think she has the intentions of doing ritual.
She was present for my sister in law's birth and has been talking about how wonderful the experience was. That it brought her to tears of joy and so on.
I guess she wants to experience it with all her grand kids.

If you say so.

Sister, be watchful and prayerful.

For a MIL to request to witness her grandchild's actual birth is strange.

Goodluck.
Re: Mother In Law Issues by jenifer007: 9:28pm On Feb 04, 2020
Jenny44life:

LOL
I know this was going to be your follow up response. So your initial post does not tell you what kind of trash person you are? It is you I pity.
Imagine Allah sitting in his heaven and he receives the kind of prayer you sent to him towards me. It is you his wrath will fall on. Everyday you pray five times but it is so easy for you to pray for other people's deaths. Rubbish individual

Don't disturb yourself replying that that boy...He is only looking for attention.... He has no knowledge about marriage....Sis just enjoy your pregnancy and don't stress yourself....I wish you a safe delivery....

10 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Issues by Homeboiy: 10:04pm On Feb 04, 2020
I don't have anything to contribute here

Too many advice's already

Just pick two and contemplate on it
Re: Mother In Law Issues by thorpido(m): 10:08pm On Feb 04, 2020
I'll start by saying while you have your rights to run your nuclear family the way you want,you have to consider the extended family too in your affairs especially your in-laws.
You should know the kind of family you are marrying into as a WOMAN especially the mother-in-law.In your own case,you have a mother-in-law who is domineering and a husband who can't exactly handle her.You will have to deal with this the rest of your married life!
Compromise with her.Let her have her way sometimes especially when she is just visiting.She won't stay for ever.Tolerate her for your own peace too.

She has NO business being in the labour room with you during your childbirth.Inform your hospital ahead and let them bar her.It's your husband who has a right to be there.She can stay in the waiting room.
Good thing you are pregnant now.Seems you MIL had some resentment towards you when she visited then while you were writing exams.She probably felt you ought to sit home and get pregnant rather than being away.The issue really was not cooking

7 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Issues by Orlaoluwayimika(m): 11:12pm On Feb 04, 2020
mimimile93:
This ur response shows the kind of a woman u are. I pity that innocent man.

Oga can u pls get f*ck out with ur useless comment.
U don't go out cursing oda people in God's name. That also speaks volume about who u re.
Allah doesn't accept prayers like this wishing other people death on top wetin.

16 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Issues by Hisduchess(f): 11:30pm On Feb 04, 2020
mimimile93:
may ur child be a male and if uact funny with ur son's wife, may Allah strike u to death.

You have a problem.forget Nairaland matter ooo you have a problem that perfectly looks like very terrible depression.Do seek help.imagine cursing an innocent woman who came for advice with death.when I say Muslims are violent naturally,some internet warriors will come for me .imagine wishing someone death using the name of their supreme being undecided.You are always bitter,life ain't that serious ooo,cos with this mindset you might kill someone especially a woman when you are physically triggered.You habour so much hate and bitterness in you,purge yourself of that or it will likely destroy you.

N:B You can pour out your venom on this my post but I actually care very very less.

6 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Issues by ImaIma1(f): 11:56pm On Feb 04, 2020
Jenny44life:
I have been visiting this forum anonymously, I just created an account to get this off my chest.
I am not necessarily looking for advice, I just want to get the story out and maybe get some other perspectives. This is a long one and I will be talking about some the issues I’ve had with my mother in law.

I and my husband live in the US, we’ve been married for four years. We both work the same hours and make almost the same amount of money. We both contribute 50:50 to our expenses and savings. I do most of the house chores: cooking, laundry and general cleaning. I don’t mind doing it since it’s just the two of us and we clean up after ourselves, and he steps in whenever it is overwhelming (often without me asking). We are very alike, we have the same values and we never fought. We have disagreements but they were always settled without shouting.

About a year ago I had to take a very important professional exam. We discussed about my study plan and agreed that I should dedicate two weeks before the exam and focus on my studies. The plan was to work half days and then use the rest of the day to study in the library. We met as students, so we are both used to studying at a particular library till very late. Everything was going great until his mother said she wanted to visit from Nigeria. The time of her visit included my study and exam dates. I told my husband that I will be unable to host his mother properly while she is here and that it would be better if she comes after that exam. My husband thought about it and said he wants her to come, that he will take care of her when she is around. He said since we married, she usually spends time with me, and he has not had alone time with his mum so he will take this opportunity to do so. I agreed.

When she arrived, I discussed with her how I am studying for my exam and will not be home often. That she should enjoy her son. While I was studying, I would leave very early and comeback after everyone had slept. I was surviving on 4 hours of sleep. I eventually wrote the exam and passed (Woohoo!) and things came back to normal. She left a day after my exam and before she left, she called me and my husband to pray for us. That was when she started telling me how I am a bad wife, I am not taking care of her precious son, my work is not more important that feeding my husband, this is the reason why we don’t have kids and so on. I was shocked. My mother in law has visited us 3 times before in the past and has seen me cooking and cleaning. During those other visits, I was the one that did everything for her. She also called her two brothers and sister that live in US to tell them she was on her way and also reported me to them. I respect those people so much and have never had an issue with them. I hated that my reputation was being tarnished. They talked to me over the phone and asked me to be a good wife. I did not say anything and neither did my husband. I fully expected my husband to stand up for me, but he did not. When his mother left, we had the first and biggest fight we have ever had in all the years we’ve been together. We dated for 3 years before marriage. It was explosive but we eventually settled and even got counseling from church. We apologized to each other and moved on. But my relationship with my mother in law never recovered. I just couldn’t go back to being close to her like I was before. It dawned on me that she did not have my interest at heart. She is a career-oriented woman and retired as a director in the civil service, so I expected her to be understanding. We still talk on the phone but not as often as it was.

The present issue is that I am pregnant. After talking to our doctors and my sister in law, me and my husband have decided that we don’t want any live-in visitors the first month after the baby is here. We want to spend that month just as a family and bond with our baby. Then we can have his parents and my parents come stay at different times. His parents were going to come first and stay for 4-5 months, my parents would come later and stay for another 4-5 months. I have applied for my maternity leave and he also took time off work so that we are both home when baby gets here. All our family members are on board with this plan… except my mother in law.

When we told her, she started crying on the phone, saying she wants to see the birth of her grandchild. She was present in the hospital for the birth of my sister in law’s baby and she had assumed she would be with us in the hospital for our baby’s birth. Even if she is around when I give birth, I am sure I do not want her in my room while I have vag.ina wide open and in a vulnerable state. I have left my issue for my husband to deal with. They have had numerous discussions about it, and it is going nowhere. My mother in law has told other family members about it and just this past weekend, I received two calls from his aunties in Nigeria. I am not sure what she told them, but they told me that I should not try to separate a grandparent from their grandchild. She also called my mother and tried to get her on-board saying that they can both come and witness the birth of their grandchild together. We heard from my sister in law that my mother in law has already started looking at flights and will book one soon.

My husband and I are tired. We are unwilling to compromise as it appears mother in law believes she can override our decisions, we think this is the time to start exercising out authority as parents. Father in law has promised to talk to his wife but I am not sure what will come of it. The whole thing is causing us stress.

Maintain your stand. You and your husband should be able to make decisions and stand by it. When you start compromising and relaxing your decisions, you will have to continue because she will always try to overturn it; when she knows that all she has to do is call everyone to call you.

It's manipulation, and it shouldn't be encouraged. She should respect your decision and not try to have her way. You and your husband make the final decision

4 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Issues by ImaIma1(f): 12:01am On Feb 05, 2020
mimimile93:
my mom over my wife anytime any day.

No problem but she should stay with her husband and take care of him instead of looking for how to dominate her son's home

7 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Issues by ImaIma1(f): 12:06am On Feb 05, 2020
mimimile93:

You wished her death and you expected her to response with what? And now you are turning around to say something silly as this. Fear God now!

13 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Issues by Belafonte(m): 12:20am On Feb 05, 2020
Jenny44life:

LOL

Do not feed the troll

5 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Issues by cococandy(f): 3:13am On Feb 05, 2020
Jenny44life:

I was ready to compromise and allow her to come but she won't be in the hospital room. I am unwilling to have her present while I give birth.
My husband is actually the one that is not ready to compromise on the matter. He is very adamant about sticking to our decision now.

Please stand your ground. It’s your vagina. This decision should be ENTIRELY YOURS..

I can’t understand people who don’t get this.

I hope you get a stern L& D nurse who knows how to shoo unwanted family members from the room.
If they get tired of waiting in the waiting room for the many hours of labor it takes for the baby to emerge, they’ll go home and come back when called.

6 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Issues by cococandy(f): 3:23am On Feb 05, 2020
Homeboiy:
I don't have anything to contribute here

Too many advice's already

Just pick two and contemplate on it
grin
Re: Mother In Law Issues by mimimile93: 4:59am On Feb 05, 2020
my mom suffered, trained me. denied herself some good tins of life just to give me the best. then i made it. a gold digger came in and u say i should choose her over my mom? miswisdom u dont hav an atom of wisdom
Mizwisdom:

Damn, what exactly is your problem?! you seem to be a "mama's boy" that's a red flag for any sensible woman. No woman will go ahead and marry you if you say such a thing to her, a man who picks his mum over his wife is an immature kid, you shouldn't be here, this place is not for your kind. Stop wishing her death, you go live your life the way you want, leave others to do what they want too. You're so insecure, your upbringing is questionable, even if she has a male child may he never be like you, God forbid, I'm sure she will do a better job at bringing her child up.

Re: Mother In Law Issues by mimimile93: 5:01am On Feb 05, 2020
my comment was a trap. now we all have seen her true color
ImaIma1:

You wished her death and you expected her to response with what? And now you are turning around to say something silly as this. Fear God now!
Re: Mother In Law Issues by cococandy(f): 5:01am On Feb 05, 2020
Smh undecided

1 Like

Re: Mother In Law Issues by mimimile93: 5:04am On Feb 05, 2020
violence has nothing to do with religion. it has everytin to do wit environment and upbringin. a christian just attempted to bomb a church days ago.
Hisduchess:

You have a problem.forget Nairaland matter ooo you have a problem that perfectly looks like very terrible depression.Do seek help.imagine cursing an innocent woman who came for advice with death.when I say Muslims are violent naturally,some internet warriors will come for me .imagine wishing someone death using the name of their supreme being undecided.You are always bitter,life ain't that serious ooo,cos with this mindset you might kill someone especially a woman when you are physically triggered.You habour so much hate and bitterness in you,purge yourself of that or it will likely destroy you.

N:B You can pour out your venom on this my post but I actually care very very less.
Re: Mother In Law Issues by sisisioge: 5:40am On Feb 05, 2020
How about you put your feet down still, book a hotel to stay during the delivery period, refuse to disclose your due date and hospital? I honestly think you shouldn't give in to her...what effrontery!

2 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Issues by nuelyoyo(m): 6:05am On Feb 05, 2020
Hisduchess:

He has killed his girlfriend in the past, killing is not new to him. He narrated the story here on nairaland. He has another monicker similar to this one, you can check out the thread on the killing of his girlfriend on any of his monickers.

2 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Issues by Hisduchess(f): 8:44am On Feb 05, 2020
nuelyoyo:
He has killed his girlfriend in the past, killing is not new to him. He narrated the story here on nairaland. He has another monicker similar to this one, you can check out the thread on the killing of his girlfriend on any of his monickers.

Thank you my dear.i just remembered that story.that guy has a very terrible problem,I just pity the innocent girl he will end up with one day
Re: Mother In Law Issues by Hisduchess(f): 8:52am On Feb 05, 2020
mimimile93:
violence has nothing to do with religion. it has everytin to do wit environment and upbringin. a christian just attempted to bomb a church days ago.

You habour so much hate in you and I wonder if that comes from the environment you grew or your upbringing as you stated. You are always venting,that's not cool at all,I just remembered the thread where you stated how you killed your girlfriend.please seek help the blood of that girl is driving you nuts and may lead you into killing another and you'll spend the rest of your life behind bars or probably mobbed to death.As for the last line of your comment,you know that you are lying but that ain't my problem,you just need to get help ASAP

SEEK HELP NOW THAT IT ISN'T ALREADY LATE.

4 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Issues by ImaIma1(f): 9:14am On Feb 05, 2020
mimimile93:
my comment was a trap. now we all have seen her true color

You are the one trapping yourself. The joke is on you.

12 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Issues by ImaIma1(f): 9:24am On Feb 05, 2020
mimimile93:
my mom suffered, trained me. denied herself some good tins of life just to give me the best. then i made it. a gold digger came in and u say i should choose her over my mom? miswisdom u dont hav an atom of wisdom

Who else was meant to train you? The nurse?

You didn't land on this earth by mistake. Your parents probably prayed for a child and you were born. So who else will now care for you?

8 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Issues by TheArchangel(f): 10:07am On Feb 05, 2020
Can't she even wait till they are out of the birthing room? She want to see the vagina her sons are enjoying.
Perverted mother-in-law. cheesy cheesy
Imagine viewing your daughters-in-law vaginas all in the name of a wonderful grandmother bonding.
Closet lesbians everywhere grin grin
Wetin person no go see cheesy

Every other things you are experiencing are just the normal travails of Nigerian marriages. Deal with them with your common sense.

1 Like

Re: Mother In Law Issues by Wetlink: 10:44am On Feb 05, 2020
mimimile93:

Ohh please shut up and keep your emotional blackmail to yourself.
She gave you the exact reply that you deserved.
Ps: You type like someone without sense.

7 Likes

Re: Mother In Law Issues by cococandy(f): 11:07am On Feb 05, 2020
Take it easy.
TheArchangel:

Can't she even wait till they are out of the birthing room? She want to see the vagina her sons are enjoying.
Perverted mother-in-law. cheesy cheesy
Imagine viewing your daughters-in-law vaginas all in the name of a wonderful grandmother bonding.
Closet lesbians everywhere grin grin
Wetin person no go see cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

SUREHOME MARRIAGE SEMINAR | November Edition / For Men Only: Who Actually Are You Working For? / Tallest Man In Akoka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.