Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,766 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:32 PM

Is Speed Necessary When Test Driving A Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is Speed Necessary When Test Driving A Car (1334 Views)

Man Filmed Driving A Self-made Car On The Streets Of Lagos (photos) / Would One Be Arrested If Driving A Car With A Cracked Windscreen? / 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Speed Necessary When Test Driving A Car by loba18: 6:24pm On Feb 05, 2020
Good day,

I sold my car yesterday and it was a very dramatic transaction.

The buyer drove the car recklessly, that is, speeding, in the name of test driving the car. I cautioned him several times and told him he can monitor the gear selection even at a low speed.

Well, he ran into a ditch and dented my car. The moment it happened, I started laughing. "Guy you don buy market" was what came out of my mouth.

Guy man no wan gree, he later priced the car very low so as to escape. I didn't take any of it and I gave him my terms which are;

1. Fix the car (not by panel beating the damaged parts, he must buy another tokunbo parts. Bumper with fogs light, right fender and right tyre.

2. Pay for the car, I gave him the market value of the car.

We invited the police, he eventually bought the car to cut the story.

Now back to the title of my thread, do we really need to speed or drive recklessly when test driving a car we want to buy??

For any car I may have to sell next, (no e raise e) no revving like you are trying to cough out something from the exhaust and no test driving above 1km and 50 to 70km/h. If you no gree, move abeg!!!
Re: Is Speed Necessary When Test Driving A Car by Conner44: 6:43pm On Feb 05, 2020
loba18:
Good day,

The buyer drove the car recklessly, that is, speeding, in the name of test driving the car. I cautioned him several times and told him he can monitor the gear selection even at a low speed.

Well, he ran into a ditch and dented my car. The moment it happened, I started laughing. "Guy you don buy market" was what came out of my mouth.

Guy man no wan gree, he later priced the car very low so as to escape. I didn't take any it and I gave him my terms which are;

1. Fix the car (not by panel beating the damaged parts, he must buy another tokunbo parts. Bumper with fogs light, right fender and right tyre.

Now back to the title of my thread, do we really need to speed when buying a car??

For any car I may have to sell next, (no e raise e) no revving like you are trying to cough out something from the exhaust and no test driving above 1k and 50 to 70km/h. If you no gree, move abeg!!!

Unless it’s not a Nigerian used car

You’re definitely not ready to sell

1 Like

Re: Is Speed Necessary When Test Driving A Car by loba18: 7:05pm On Feb 05, 2020
Conner44:

Unless it’s not a Nigerian used car

You’re definitely not ready to sell

There are reasonable buyers that will do things with moderation.
Re: Is Speed Necessary When Test Driving A Car by ksmart027(m): 8:41pm On Feb 05, 2020
loba18:
Good day,

Guy man no wan gree, he later priced the car very low so as to escape. I didn't take any it and I gave him my terms which are;

Now back to the title of my thread, do we really need to speed when buying a car??

For any car I may have to sell next, (no e raise e) no revving like you are trying to cough out something from the exhaust and no test driving above 1k and 50 to 70km/h. If you no gree, move abeg!!!
The easiet way to know a faulty transmission is to do all manner of driving.
Re: Is Speed Necessary When Test Driving A Car by loba18: 8:53pm On Feb 05, 2020
ksmart027:

The easiet way to know a faulty transmission is to do all manner of driving.

I will definitely not allow it. Come with your scanner.
Re: Is Speed Necessary When Test Driving A Car by laivwire(m): 9:01pm On Feb 05, 2020
loba18:
Good day,

grin grin
Re: Is Speed Necessary When Test Driving A Car by ksmart027(m): 9:31pm On Feb 05, 2020
loba18:

Not everyone knows about scanner
Re: Is Speed Necessary When Test Driving A Car by loba18: 9:59pm On Feb 05, 2020
ksmart027:

Not everyone knows about scanner

Not every seller wants a stu.pid reckless buyer

3 Likes

Re: Is Speed Necessary When Test Driving A Car by mejai(m): 10:10pm On Feb 05, 2020
grin grin But some cars start to misbehave when u attain 100-160km/hr.
E fit begin erratic jerking, oil burning smell, overheating etc. grin

u don buy market..... Laff wan kill me

1 Like

Re: Is Speed Necessary When Test Driving A Car by ksmart027(m): 10:15pm On Feb 05, 2020
loba18:

Not every seller wants a stu.pid reckless buyer
Ok oo
Re: Is Speed Necessary When Test Driving A Car by Timagex(m): 10:25pm On Feb 05, 2020
It's a very good way of knowing what you are buying sir. I intend to apply the same method before I agree to marry my wife. wink

Na joke o.. grin

1 Like

Re: Is Speed Necessary When Test Driving A Car by captainking(m): 10:28pm On Feb 05, 2020
Op..some faults are not evident on low speed.. As well as Limp mode.. I will race the car from 0 to 100kpm to test The gear bro... Though in a careful way shaa.. grin

1 Like

Re: Is Speed Necessary When Test Driving A Car by promotervickky(m): 10:36pm On Feb 05, 2020
It's obvious that he didn't watch it, moderation is key. If you must drive speed go to express
Re: Is Speed Necessary When Test Driving A Car by loba18: 5:32am On Feb 06, 2020
captainking:
Op..some faults are not evident on low speed.. As well as Limp mode.. I will race the car from 0 to 100kpm to test The gear bro... Though in a careful way shaa.. grin

Limp mode keeps car permanently in the 4th gear or between the 1st and 2nd gear.
Re: Is Speed Necessary When Test Driving A Car by loba18: 5:58am On Feb 06, 2020
mejai:
grin grin But some cars start to misbehave when u attain 100-160km/hr.
E fit begin erratic jerking, oil burning smell, overheating etc. grin

u don buy market..... Laff wan kill me

100 to 160km/h shocked on someone's car?? Any seller that allows this is mad
Re: Is Speed Necessary When Test Driving A Car by 9icetoo(m): 1:43pm On Feb 06, 2020
loba18:

A scanner won't tell you everything.

Test driving should be within limits.
Speeding is totally different from reckless driving.

To fully test a car, you need to get up to speeds of 80km/hr to go through all the gears.

There will be need to accelerate quickly to confirm the gears. And also accelerate slowly to confirm same gears. Some cars slam into gear when driven slowly whilst the same error will be masked when accelerated quickly.

It's good you stood your ground with the reckless would be buyer.

Some people sha don't use common sense when doing things.
Re: Is Speed Necessary When Test Driving A Car by adanny01(m): 2:20pm On Feb 06, 2020
loba18:
Good day,

Guy man no wan gree, he later priced the car very low so as to escape. I didn't take any of it and I gave him my terms which are;

Now back to the title of my thread, do we really need to speed or drive recklessly when test driving a car we want to buy??

For any car I may have to sell next, (no e raise e) no revving like you are trying to cough out something from the exhaust and no test driving above 1km and 50 to 70km/h. If you no gree, move abeg!!!

Yes.

However, in most cases, it is unnecessary.

Negotiation should be done after physical inspection, such that if anything goes wrong during test drive, the buyer automatically owes the seller the negotiated amount even if not finalized.

No one should test drive a car he doesn't have a payment plan for the asking price or has not negotiated a suitable price. Most times a drive will either seal the deal or break the deal off.

A test drive will either get the buyer excited if the car drives good or discourage the buyer if say the transmission was bad and the seller didn't disclose the truth.
Re: Is Speed Necessary When Test Driving A Car by loba18: 5:55pm On Feb 06, 2020
adanny01:

Yes.

However, in most cases, it is unnecessary.

Negotiation should be done after physical inspection, such that if anything goes wrong during test drive, the buyer automatically owes the seller the negotiated amount even if not finalized.

No one should test drive a car he doesn't have a payment plan for the asking price or has not negotiated a suitable price. Most times a drive will either seal the deal or break the deal off.

A test drive will either get the buyer excited if the car drives good or discourage the buyer if say the transmission was bad and the seller didn't disclose the truth.

Very reasonable response! I concur

1 Like

Re: Is Speed Necessary When Test Driving A Car by loba18: 6:01pm On Feb 06, 2020
9icetoo:

A scanner won't tell you everything.

Test driving should be within limits.
Speeding is totally different from reckless driving.

To fully test a car, you need to get up to speeds of 80km/hr to go through all the gears.

There will be need to accelerate quickly to confirm the gears. And also accelerate slowly to confirm same gears. Some cars slam into gear when driven slowly whilst the same error will be masked when accelerated quickly.

It's good you stood your ground with the reckless would be buyer.

Some people sha don't use common sense when doing things.

He actually checked the gear on a low speed and also did the "kickdown" many times. He kept trying all stunts and I got scared most of the time because I was in the car with him.
Re: Is Speed Necessary When Test Driving A Car by xristos(m): 6:37pm On Feb 06, 2020
I can never allow a buyer drive my car recklessly.... because it takes understanding n knowledge to lord a car...
Except am not testing with him.
Re: Is Speed Necessary When Test Driving A Car by 9icetoo(m): 6:42pm On Feb 06, 2020
loba18:

He actually checked the gear on a low speed and also did the "kickdown" many times. He kept trying all stunts and I got scared most of the time because I was in the car with him.
OK. The fellow actually got what he deserved.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Honda Crosstour 2010 And Carry 2010 Which One Is Better / Is The 2002 Ford Explorer Reliable? / Nissan Vs Kia Rio 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.