Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,247 members, 7,815,363 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:18 AM

Difference Between Residence Permit And Citizenship - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Difference Between Residence Permit And Citizenship (1374 Views)

Which Country Will You Not Go To Even If Given Residence Permit? / China Plans To Ease Residence Permit For Foreigners, Chinese Citizens React / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between Residence Permit And Citizenship by Afrocentric: 9:14am On Feb 07, 2020
Hello folks. Please what is the difference between residence permit and Citizenship? I have two friends in foreign country. One said he is now a Citizen, while the other said he has gotten his Residence permit. I'm somehow confused
Re: Difference Between Residence Permit And Citizenship by Chiiamaka: 11:26am On Feb 07, 2020
Residence permit allows you to reside in the country legally and for a limited time.. while citizenship means you have the rights to live,work , pay tax etc undecided

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Residence Permit And Citizenship by DortmundGirl(f): 12:40pm On Feb 07, 2020
A residence permit is meant for foreigners, that work in a country, study, are married or having children there. It's a legal permit to live, work and also pay taxes. It can be valid between 6 months to 3 years and must be renewed with the immigration office.

Citizenship means you become a full citizen of the country where you reside, you change your nationality and its usually taking years to obtain it.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Residence Permit And Citizenship by ednut1(m): 11:30pm On Oct 29, 2020
Afrocentric:
Hello folks. Please what is the difference between residence permit and Citizenship? I have two friends in foreign country. One said he is now a Citizen, while the other said he has gotten his Residence permit. I'm somehow confused
residency - right to live and work in a country but cant vote . And its for a fixed term with conditions for renewal or application for citizenship.

Citizenship - attained after years of being a permanent resident. Canada is 3 years, uk is 5 years
Re: Difference Between Residence Permit And Citizenship by dasparrow: 1:59am On Oct 30, 2020
Afrocentric:

You don't know what citizenship is? Aren't you a citizen of Nigeria and hence hold Nigerian citizenship, in other words Nigerian passport?

Residence permit depending on the country can be either temporary or permanent.

Permanent residency permit means you are permitted to stay in that country indefinitely and you are allowed to work too. After a certain number of years as specified by the applicable country, you will then become eligible to apply for citizenship for that country. Once you hold citizenship for a specific country, you are considered a citizen of that country and you will be issued that country's international passport.

Temporary residency permit is a visa category that allows you to reside in a foreign country for a specified period of time which will be stated on the permit. Once that specified period is up, you are expected to leave the country or apply for and switch to a permanent residency permit or apply for citizenship if you qualify. You may or may not be permitted to work on a temporary residency permit depending on the foreign country in question.

Got it?

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Residence Permit And Citizenship by slimanyd: 9:58am On Oct 30, 2020
ednut1:
residency - right to live and work in a country but cant vote . And its for a fixed term with conditions for renewal or application for citizenship.

Citizenship - attained after years of being a permanent resident. Canada is 3 years, uk is 5 years

Bro. Uk citizenship after 5 years?. Where did you got these info from
Re: Difference Between Residence Permit And Citizenship by ednut1(m): 10:10am On Oct 30, 2020
slimanyd:

Bro. Uk citizenship after 5 years?. Where did you got these info from
work permit, permanent residency then citizenship. Its more than 5 years. My bad

(1) (Reply)

Best Country To Immigrate For A Single Mother? / My Passport Issue With Immigration Officer I Met Through Nairaland Please Ad / Tls Contact Ikeja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.