Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,810 members, 7,813,667 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:56 PM

The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics (33620 Views)

10 Most Expensive States To Live In Nigeria In January 2024 - Nairametrics / Tinubunomics: Dissecting Tinubu’s Economic Track Records - Nairametrics / Remmy Hazzan: Ogun State Looking For Genuine Investors Not Lagos Okada Riders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by EgunMogaji2: 12:47pm On Feb 08, 2020
Esseite:
The Honest truth is okada and keke business kept a lot of Nigerians LAZY...

Now people are growing up with ambition of riding okada/keke.

People are leaving Vocational skill aquisition for keke and okada riding..

When a carpenter quits to riding okada
When a tiler quits to riding okada
When a plumber quits to riding keke..
Mechanics quiting to ride okada..

It destroys the future.

You're right and I wrote this on here last week. In fact one primate abused his father because I wrote that my mechanic has went to Okada riding.

2 Likes

Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by Nobody: 12:49pm On Feb 08, 2020
Esseite:

It destroys the future.
This is the most dump logic I have ever read.

Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by Oyiboman69: 12:54pm On Feb 08, 2020
Esseite:

It destroys the future.
so,no one should drive other means of transport then,since transportation destroys the future undecided
Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by awetaiye2015: 12:55pm On Feb 08, 2020
HyzExcellencee:
Lagos Okada ban, its Socioeconomic Consequences

by Chinedu Nnawetanma

On February 1, 2020, the ban by the Lagos State Government restricting all forms of motorcycles (excluding those used for delivery services) and tricycles from operating in key commercial and residential areas of the state officially took effect. Though well-intentioned, the timing and blanket nature of this ban have left much to be desired.

Among the reasons given by the Lagos State Government for imposing this ban was the rising spate of insecurity in the state. The government has argued that criminality in the state was facilitated by the use of motorcycles, popularly known as Okada, as a getaway means by hoodlums.

Also blamed was the crippling traffic gridlock that most parts of the state have been forced to grapple with in recent times during the morning and evening rush hours. The state government also argues that commercial motorcyclists and tricyclists have contributed in no small way to the state’s traffic malaise due to their wanton disregard for traffic regulations.

If these were the issues, one wonders how the ban would provide a sustainable solution. For instance, these motorbikes often provide easy transportation for commuters in Lagos State, especially during those gridlocks, ensuring that they arrive at their destinations on time and save the economy man-hours that would have been lost in traffic. They also keep hundreds of thousands of low-skilled Lagosians away from criminality by providing them with a legitimate source of income.

If the Lagos State Government really wants to arrest the traffic situation in the state, it should look towards employing more sustainable avenues with less radical socioeconomic consequences. These include the completion of the Lagos monorail project, expansion of road networks, ban on street trading, relocation of roadside markets and motor parks and construction of parks for articulated vehicles.

The real cause of the traffic nightmare currently being experienced in the Lagos metropolis is the population explosion. The state’s existing road networks can no longer cope with the daily influx of vehicles as more and more people continue to relocate to the state from other parts of the country.

Similarly, if it wants to tackle insecurity, it must beef up its security apparatus and change its modus operandi from reactive policing to proactive policing through intelligence gathering. It should also create more employment opportunities that will keep Lagosians gainfully employed by incentivizing the private sector. All these and more should have been put in place before the ban to cushion the socio-economic impact.

Government policy is a major enabler of economic growth around the world, especially in developing countries like Nigeria. The government’s primary role in the economy is to create an atmosphere that enables the private enterprise to thrive through the formulation of business-friendly policies. More importantly, its ability to maintain a consistent and cohesive set of policies over long periods of time by formulating long-term policies rather than short-term, stopgap ones is key to buoying investor confidence.

Investors are attracted to stability, consistency, and predictability and they flee from instability, inconsistency, and unpredictability. Time and again, governments in Nigeria have demonstrated just how easy it is for one administration to overturn the existing policies of its predecessors overnight. The inconsistency of policies scares investors and accounts for the low inflows of foreign direct investment (FDI) and foreign portfolio investment (FPI) into the country.

Investors who backed motorcycle-based ride-hailing startups in the state like ORide (OPay), MAX and Gokada – who are also affected by the ban – would now be counting their losses.

What it means: Other startups operating in the state and the country at large, irrespective of the industries they play in, would now face an uphill task convincing investors to fund them. A trend that may emerge in the Nigerian venture capital space is a preference for small-ticket short-term investments and profit-taking over long-term investments.

By Chinedu Nnawetanma IG/Twitter: @chinedugn

https://nairametrics.com/2020/02/08/lagos-okada-ban-its-socioeconomic-consequences/

I love this step the government has taken. I wish they will do same in warri, Delta state. 98% of the robberies in Delta is by Keke. I have been robbed twice by Keke. Most riders in Delta now rob with Keke and that's how they balance for the day.
Imagine entering a Keke, u see a well dressed gentle man acting as a passenger in the Keke with u, u feel all is well, the next tin, he brings out his gun and ask for all ur belongings. Some of the Keke riders will codedly put u to talk, like arguing about the price of the fair, while the suppose passenger with u will sneek through ur pocket and collect ur fones and wallet. This happened to me.
Another occasion, one gentled man came down from Keke very close to me as I was walking to the church that Sunday morning, he rushed and hugged me and called one stupid name that it is my name, he was acting drama that he knew me somewhere, he called one area I don't even know, not knowing he has stolen my fone wen he hugged me. Wen I told him that I don't know him, he apologized and entered the same Keke he came down from, that was how they drove off with speed. Wen I notice the speed they took off, I checked my pocket and my fone was gone.

Keke is worst than okada now in Delta. Since Keke is covered to an extent, they rob u neatly inside the Keke without people outside knowing and ask u to come down at a not-too-busy place. Ladies do join them now since they notice that passenger don't like to enter any new Keke that there is just one male passenger at the back. So they carry ladies with them, most times their babe and partner in crime, and wen any lady or guy sees that there is a lady in the Keke, he or she feels safe, not knowing they are one.
I can go on and on to reveal their tactics but it will become an epistle.

So my conclusion is that they should ban these Keke everywhere for security reasons. After a horrible robbery, there are certain roads cars can not escape through but Keke and bike can.
Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by AlhajiImam: 1:12pm On Feb 08, 2020
Perkins2018:

You are all terrorists. You read from the same terror manual(koran) as shekau

Stale story. Keep grouping in darkness
Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by Stephendeals: 1:15pm On Feb 08, 2020
TissuePaper:
Dammmmn Nigggaaar

Fvck all dem modafuckers who are not happy with this development, All real niggars will be happy with this ban, I get 3 corolla for road on hire purchase wey I dey use do Uber...I dey even think of to increase the weekly remittance of my drivers because these guys dey run me street badly.

They make up to 50k in a day because of the ban meanwhile their weekly remittance na 30k, but as a real nigga I will not go back on our agreement

Hope you will still be glad with the actions of the government, and fvck modafuckers if they go ahead with their intentions on uber also

https://www.pulse.ng/bi/politics/after-okada-ban-lagos-govt-is-coming-after-uber-bolt-and-other-ride-sharing-companies/qgt5qtn

1 Like

Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by wman(m): 1:28pm On Feb 08, 2020
Esseite:

It destroys the future.

Are there not enough tiles, plumbers and carpenters?
Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by lexy2014: 1:35pm On Feb 08, 2020
haleymoon:

First thing first, try catch a glimpse of the long run implications, I remembered in ABJ when danfo was banned, it might look gloomy temporarily, people will go against the decision but the long run effect supercedes the current advantages, but u just have to look it through a futuristic lenses.

Are u telling me that u can't itemise one benefit that has accrued to d okada riders and patrons? How has looking into d future got to do with d benefits that should accrue as a result of d ban? Have u looked into d future urself?
Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by DAVE5(m): 1:45pm On Feb 08, 2020
mu2sa2:
Nobody is talking about bicycles as alternative means of transportation. Bicycles are massively popular in many countries like china and in Europe . In Bamako, Mali they even have dedicated bicycle lanes. Lagos state govt can encourage use of bicycles, for example among students and low- income workers. A bicycle lane, similar to Brt lane, can be created on major riads.

Danfo go first crush all the riders wey dey inside the bicycle lane day in day out

I know you say the govt would regulate it, but look around, the govt isn't doing anything to regulate anything

1 Like

Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by Lawdis(m): 2:30pm On Feb 08, 2020
Ivimilly:
That's the issue I have with You poor masses you people think we all have the same problem....... Some of us live on a private island and have to use a chopper or a luxury boat to get to the mainland area. Now you people want to crowd the water ways the only place I and my friends go to chill with lesbians damn.... Guess I have to move further into the Atlantic angry

Boss you're free to do so.....grin grin
Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by richiepolymer(m): 2:33pm On Feb 08, 2020
cheesy
On the other hand, it has made skilled artisans more richer. They are now in high demand and earn well. Just find out how much a plumber or furniture maker earns whether in paid employment or as an entrepreneur. Who no go no know. I don witness plumbers wey dey earn over 200k in paid employment in lagos o....hmm
Esseite:

It destroys the future.
Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by yeking18(m): 2:49pm On Feb 08, 2020
iPhone X and 7+ UK used direct available
If you are interested you can check my signature
Affordable and friendly price

Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by Kayharry(m): 2:52pm On Feb 08, 2020
majamajic:

For who , mostly non citizens ?

U will first create jobs for your own citizens first before outsider
not all okada rider are outsider some are Nigerian ,so they should create job for this Nigerians among them.
Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by PHijo(m): 2:56pm On Feb 08, 2020
What this tells us is that it is in Lagos state's interest that other cities are functional. A very easy solution would be to designate 10 to 20 cities with Abuja's status. Give them top priority in terms of infrastructure. That would help de-congest Lagos.

Cities like Ibadan, Enugu, Port Harcourt, Warri, Calabar, Kano, Kaduna, Jos, Yola etc. Readily come to mind.

Number 1 consideration when picking such cities should be the economy, geography and to a lesser extent ethnicity.

For instance it wouldn't be fair to pick only Ibadan while Enugu and Owerri make the list or vice versa.

Nigeria needs strategic thinkers today more than any time before.

The clock is ticking!
Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by safarigirl(f): 3:02pm On Feb 08, 2020
Esseite:

I understand your point but it kills innovations for collective better future..
bad government policies kill innovation, not okada and keke

People are resorting to okada and keke because there are no government policies to support innovation

You think an idea is enough when there is no capital? Do you know what it takes to access a loan in Nigeria? Do you think people have it? Are there any policies that promote business growth? Do you know how taxes affect small businesses?

Some of you just like to throw words around, while having little to no knowledge on the feasibility and practicality of it. You think anyone has an ambition of riding keke or okada? 70% of those people don't even own the keke or okada they are riding.

Be practical abeg.

2 Likes

Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by safarigirl(f): 3:06pm On Feb 08, 2020
awetaiye2015:

I love this step the government has taken. I wish they will do same in warri, Delta state. 98% of the robberies in Delta is by Keke. I have been robbed twice by Keke. Most riders in Delta now rob with Keke and that's how they balance for the day.
Imagine entering a Keke, u see a well dressed gentle man acting as a passenger in the Keke with u, u feel all is well, the next tin, he brings out his gun and ask for all ur belongings. Some of the Keke riders will codedly put u to talk, like arguing about the price of the fair, while the suppose passenger with u will sneek through ur pocket and collect ur fones and wallet. This happened to me.
Another occasion, one gentled man came down from Keke very close to me as I was walking to the church that Sunday morning, he rushed and hugged me and called one stupid name that it is my name, he was acting drama that he knew me somewhere, he called one area I don't even know, not knowing he has stolen my fone wen he hugged me. Wen I told him that I don't know him, he apologized and entered the same Keke he came down from, that was how they drove off with speed. Wen I notice the speed they took off, I checked my pocket and my fone was gone.

Keke is worst than okada now in Delta. Since Keke is covered to an extent, they rob u neatly inside the Keke without people outside knowing and ask u to come down at a not-too-busy place. Ladies do join them now since they notice that passenger don't like to enter any new Keke that there is just one male passenger at the back. So they carry ladies with them, most times their babe and partner in crime, and wen any lady or guy sees that there is a lady in the Keke, he or she feels safe, not knowing they are one.
I can go on and on to reveal their tactics but it will become an epistle.

So my conclusion is that they should ban these Keke everywhere for security reasons. After a horrible robbery, there are certain roads cars can not escape through but Keke and bike can.

Lol.

Dem never rob you inside carbefore, na wetin make you dey yarn opata so.

Is keke more covered than cars? Come to Abuja, all thee car doors are locked, they will even molest you inside the car, injure you and toss you out, at least they allow you get down from the keke like a normal person.

Keke that does not have door. If you sit in front with the driver, can they rob you as easily? No be if you sit between people? How will you jump out of a moving car if the doors are locked from the driver's main lock?

Everything has disadvantages, but I will rather enter keke than cads half the time.
Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by Mac2016(m): 3:29pm On Feb 08, 2020
mu2sa2:
Nobody is talking about bicycles as alternative means of transportation. Bicycles are massively popular in many countries like china and in Europe . In Bamako, Mali they even have dedicated bicycle lanes. Lagos state govt can encourage use of bicycles, for example among students and low- income workers. A bicycle lane, similar to Brt lane, can be created on major riads.

Bicycle from ikorodu to work at Lekki? shocked
Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by Dollabiz: 3:30pm On Feb 08, 2020
Oh
Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by ForbesHomesNG(m): 3:58pm On Feb 08, 2020
kudos4god:
Still waiting for more comments from those living in Lagos State
Everyone knows what would be the aftermath of such a policy... But trust me, time will tell that adaptation is Inevitable. Time heals a lot.
Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by mu2sa2: 4:25pm On Feb 08, 2020
Mac2016:

Bicycle from ikorodu to work at Lekki? shocked
What of ikoyi to VI , Vi to lekki, or even along ikorodu road etc

1 Like

Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by ajl: 4:36pm On Feb 08, 2020
"Investors who backed motorcycle-based ride-hailing startups in the state like ORide (OPay), MAX and Gokada – who are also affected by the ban – would now be counting their losses.

What it means: Other startups operating in the state and the country at large, irrespective of the industries they play in, would now face an uphill task convincing investors to fund them. A trend that may emerge in the Nigerian venture capital space is a preference for small-ticket short-term investments and profit-taking over long-term investments."

I am only going to refer to the section of the write up I am going to critique.

Investors have the responsibility of studying historical policies of the government for the sector they want to invest in. Why would investors put their money in a sector that has an history of government ban or sanction? Even if they decide to go ahead with investment in the sector, they ought to have a plan B in case a ban come into effect. This so-called investor do not understand the market they put their money. They took a risk without doing proper "homework". I heard one of the CEO talk about switching to delivery services. No point crying. Move on!

Aside this, I have issues in venture capital funds that is totally dominated by foreigners and foreign CEOs. Meaning that these so-called Nigerian startups are not truly Nigerian and most of the revenue would go out of the country. Let's continue to fool ourselves.
Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by WeRblessed(f): 4:50pm On Feb 08, 2020
majamajic:
At a time u landed on population explosion, the population coming into lagos to take up okada and Keke driving is much

And about 70% of them are not Nigerians thereby putting the population and security of lagos at a very big risk ,

Crime rate in Anambra reduced immediately they ban okada in the state , cos most of the riders are not from the state , as much as these guys are not mostly from Nigeria it's a very big risk from security side ,

At earliest stage we will all feel it , but it was a good decision by the lagos state government

Meanwhile they are coming without their wives and children, who them go marry for here , the locals of course !!

What a brilliant description.
Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by ajl: 4:56pm On Feb 08, 2020
Last August I visited a property bequeathed to me and my siblings and on the opposite side of the building in front of another house are several hausa speaking youths with bikes. I learn they congregate there because they make purchases from someone that live in the house. But the problem is they created a lot of nuisance by leaving wastes all over the street and in the drainage. One of them even moved close to the building where I was standing and dropped pure water bag in the open drainage. I avoided challenging them to take care of their wastes because I know how dangerous and violent an arguement with an Okada rider can become. They act as mob. I simply looked away and moved on. The most annoying part is that most of them are not likely to be Nigerians. I really do not have issues with foreigners coming into the country to seek greener pasture because I am also a foreigner where I currently reside. But here the authorities know "A-to-Z" about me. From my address and all vital data. It's sad Nigeria is a country where anyone can just walk into, buy Okada and start running business using resources tax payers paid for but is not contributing any tax to improve such resources. This is not an anti-ethnic rant. Nigerians are in serious danger because some people want to overrun the country at all cost. And the influx of criminals from the Sahel region is part of this danger.
Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by Opexzy: 4:59pm On Feb 08, 2020
Esseite:

It destroys the future.

You are on spot...
I heard of a teller officer of a bank that quit his job to pick up keke...
Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by FarmWell: 5:47pm On Feb 08, 2020
Ivimilly:
That's the issue I have with You poor masses you people think we all have the same problem....... Some of us live on a private island and have to use a chopper or a luxury boat to get to the mainland area. Now you people want to crowd the water ways the only place I and my friends go to chill with lesbians damn.... Guess I have to move further into the Atlantic angry

This made me laugh grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by Dbeautyy(m): 5:56pm On Feb 08, 2020
To cut the long story short, I trekked from Cadbury to Berger today. Hm, it would have been from Ikeja under bridge, but a good Samaritan conveyed three of us with his jeep from Ikeja before his fuel pump eventually went on sabbatical leave just in Mobil filling station opposite Cadbury. He was a good Samaritan but we paid him 200 Naira for Berger and he had to refund 100 Naira. And from there no empty transit bus so we trekked to the extent that.... hmm

1 Like

Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by zone51: 6:25pm On Feb 08, 2020
I was expecting to see an infograph and not this long speech. angry
Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by majamajic(m): 6:45pm On Feb 08, 2020
Kayharry:
not all okada rider are outsider some are Nigerian ,so they should create job for this Nigerians among them.

The Nigerians among them will adjust , just watch and see
Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by kolarboi83: 6:52pm On Feb 08, 2020
TissuePaper:
Dammmmn Nigggaaar

Fvck all dem modafuckers who are not happy with this development, All real niggars will be happy with this ban, I get 3 corolla for road on hire purchase wey I dey use do Uber...I dey even think of to increase the weekly remittance of my drivers because these guys dey run me street badly.

They make up to 50k in a day because of the ban meanwhile their weekly remittance na 30k, but as a real nigga I will not go back on our agreement
Pls I will like to discuss something important with you
Here's my WhatsApp number 08038483059
If you don't mind
Thanks I'm advance
Re: The Socioeconomic Impact Of The Lagos Okada Ban, One Week After - Nairametrics by techmalldotcom(m): 7:21pm On Feb 08, 2020
mu2sa2:

yes, yes! bicycle. Try cycling from ajah to oshodi, and see weather you will make it alive.

modified

Bicycles are meant for short distance journey.reconsider
#justmyopinion

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Zamfara: Withdraw Femi Fani-Kayode’s Traditional Title - Emir Of Shinkafi Told / Buhari Visits Eheneden Erediauwa, The Oba Of Benin (Photos) / Ibrahim Attahiru Resumes As Chief Of Army Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.