Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,566 members, 7,812,834 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:17 PM

Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney (2610 Views)

Orubebe: FG Drops Bribery Charges Against Ex-Minister / FG Drops Planned Refinery Projects ! / Breaking News - FG Drops All Charges Against Ribadu. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by ovo4u(m): 10:42pm On Dec 13, 2010
FG drops charges against Cheney, Halliburton
News Dec 13, 2010

THE Federal Government’s effort at prosecuting former United States Vice President Richard Bruce ‘manliness’ Cheney and other officials of Halliburton paid off, following payment of huge sums of money to the coffers of Nigeria, as Nigeria has reportedly agreed to drop charges against Cheney and Halliburton.

The development followed agreement reached between Nigerian officials in the negotiating team and top officials of the United States and Halliburton in a meeting held in London, weekend.

At the meeting, Halliburton agreed to pay about N20 billion as criminal penalty, while promising to liaise with the United States Government to recover the outstanding $I32 million which is currently frozen in Switzerland.

It was gathered that former United States President, George Bush, Snr and former United States Secretary of State, Mr. James Baker were part of the deliberations through conference calls.

The Attorney General of Federation and Justice Minister, Mr. Mohammed Bello Adoke, SAN, led Nigeria’s team at the negotiations which included the Secretary of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Mr. Emmanuel Akomaye, legal luminaries, Damian Dodo, SAN, and Godwin Obla and the Executive Secretary of the National Human Rights Commission, Roland Ewubare.

Halliburton’s Chief Executive and Chairman, David Lesar, who replaced Cheney, Halliburton President, Eastern Hemisphere, Ahmed Lofty, Deputy General Counsel, James Ferguson were part of it.

Halliburton sought for small fines but the Nigeria officials vehemently opposed the move, reasoning that the United States could not have benefitted from the fines more than Nigeria, where the crime was committed originally. “We will not settle for less than what was paid to the U.S Government”, the AGF said.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/14735-fg-may-drop-charges-against-cheney-halliburton

My point of view is that,is this how we are going to get to the promise land? as Mr president have promised us that he will fight corruption? why are common men prosecuted and big boys that do the main deal can not be touch?.Please i need someone to educate me here why the  U.S.A will just throw some bag of money on Nigeria Government so that they will not bring their son name to book, Don't we have enough money already ?
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by ovo4u(m): 10:54pm On Dec 13, 2010
No one here to educate me? because I'm comfused because the laws says when man commit a crime like this one,he or she should be prosecuted,but why not and why throwing some buddle of money to stop the case? angry angry angry angry angry angry shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by redsun(m): 11:09pm On Dec 13, 2010
A case of all animals are equal but some are more equal. Nigerian officials are still going to dadaru d fine anyway.They probably ve shared it in london,wired to different foreign bank with jeg having d lion share as d chairman just like 19 chaps do
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by Omenani(m): 11:11pm On Dec 13, 2010
Why am I not surprised? U.S. pressure? I definitely think so. . .
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by Nobody: 11:18pm On Dec 13, 2010
ovo4u:

No one here to educate me? because I'm comfused because[b] the laws says when man commit a crime like this one,he or she should be prosecuted,but why not and why throwing some buddle of money to stop the case?[/b] angry angry angry angry angry angry shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
American government is corrupt just like Nigeria.They can block extradition of di-ck cheney who commited fraud in Nigeria but they can go after an Assange that didn't commit any crime on their land.Nature will soon set in its equilibrum process;its just a matter of time.
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by Omenani(m): 11:21pm On Dec 13, 2010
~Bluetooth:

American government is corrupt just like Nigeria.They can block extradition of di-ck cheney who commited fraud in Nigeria but they can go after an Assange that didn't commit any crime on their land.Nature will soon set in its equilibrum process;its just a matter of time.

Agreed! There is a lot of corruption in the West and on a much more wider scale, but people always want to discuss corruption in Nigeria and Africa in general. Corruption in Nigeria is just more blatant, because our leaders have not learned how to hide their misdeeds.
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by Nobody: 11:46pm On Dec 13, 2010
Omenani:

Agreed! There is a lot of corruption in the West and on a much more wider scale, but[b] people always want to discuss corruption in Nigeria and Africa in general.[/b] Corruption in Nigeria is just more blatant, because our leaders have not learned how to hide their misdeeds.
Psychology is one of the tool of foreign policy.It's mostly used in form of political or media propaganda against the target countries.
this is why you will always see for example; bbc showing bad stuff about nigeria and africa in general.
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by yeswecan(m): 11:49pm On Dec 13, 2010
Men were not created equal so what gives one the impression that the justice can be fair . .
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by Nobody: 11:52pm On Dec 13, 2010
While did they file charges in the first place?
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by DapoBear(m): 11:53pm On Dec 13, 2010
Eh, well, N20 billion isn't bad, I guess. I didn't really believe they'd be able to bring down Cheney. Hopefully they'll do something useful with the money undecided
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by violent(m): 12:13am On Dec 14, 2010
ovo4u:

No one here to educate me? because I'm comfused because the laws says when man commit a crime like this one,he or she should be prosecuted,but why not and why throwing some buddle of money to stop the case? angry angry angry angry angry angry shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

just live with it . . men are not born equal, some are immortals!

You really expect to see a former US vice president in a Nigerian court?. . i laugh in Judiciary. . . the same court that feels OBJ, IBB and co are too big to face trial?. . . fix your home first will ya?

I'm guessing the US government gave the Nigerian government only two choices:

1) accept this bribe money

2) fúck off

oh well, who wouldn't run for the first option?. . .the news isn't even grabbing the world's attention to begin with!
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by ovo4u(m): 12:14am On Dec 14, 2010
But can Jonathan then leads us to the promise land like he has promised like our past leaders? because i have so much faith in that guy
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by ovo4u(m): 12:20am On Dec 14, 2010
@Mikeansy

^^^^^^^ This your question pass Jamb grin grin grin grin
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by Nobody: 12:25am On Dec 14, 2010
mikeansy:

So you mean Nigeria government made a mistake by investigating and charging him for bribery and corruption simply because he's an ex vice-president of US ? What's wrong with you people ?
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by maddock(m): 12:31am On Dec 14, 2010
Hahahhahaa @ violent I think I love the 2 options given to Nigeria. Take the money or buzz off. Taking the money seems the best option because which court for naija wan judge the matter? Fear no dey catch that judge. Cheney I hear does not have a heart but keep having heart attack, this is to tell you even the devil himself dey fear am. Lot of people think nigeria is the most corrupt country in the world, but we are not.We only have a large number of not so clever ones ready to sell even an oil block for 10k usd.
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by Nobody: 12:34am On Dec 14, 2010
yeswecan:

Men were not created equal o what gives one the impression that the justice can be fair . .
Bullsh-it
The same line the white told the blacks to justify colonization and western hegemony.so this is a case of white is superior to black.
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by ovo4u(m): 12:39am On Dec 14, 2010
I think Nigeria is a Country where any body can manipulate at,anyday,anytime,anyminute, if not then take the revise as the case and will u guys agree with me or not that the U.S.A Government also will be willing to take money from Nigeria Government when this happen in the opposite way?
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by violent(m): 1:04am On Dec 14, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Bullsh-it
The same line the white told the blacks to justify colonization and western hegemony.so this is a case of white is superior to black.

Its not the case of white superior to black. . . its merely the case of US being superior to Nigeria!. .shikena!.

You don't like it? then fix your homes!. . .its a really big joke that a third world country known for only one thing---corruption---hopes to file corruption charges on a former US vice president. . common are you kidding?. . .you don't even have the justification to do so!. . .they simply shut your prosecutors up with one thing they know best to collect---money!!!

Wouldn't you laugh if Somalia or Haiti is requesting for the extradition of OBJ?
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by ladi02(m): 1:08am On Dec 14, 2010
mikeansy:

2 reasons. .either Nigeria is going broke and they needed money

or our politicians need money for campaign. .looks to me it was done to get a high pay out!
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by Kobojunkie: 1:09am On Dec 14, 2010
violent:

just live with it . . men are not born equal, some are immortals!

You really expect to see a former US vice president in a Nigerian court?. . i laugh in Judiciary. . . the same court that feels OBJ, IBB and co are too big to face trial?. . . fix your home first will ya?

I'm guessing the US government gave the Nigerian government only two choices:

1) accept this bribe money

2) fúck off

oh well, who wouldn't run for the first option?. . .the news isn't even grabbing the world's attention to begin with!

Considering

a) The speed with which the case was settled -- Just last week Thursday, Hillary Clinton got the question on the case and she mentioned that she had no comment since it was in court.

b) The Continued insistence that the charges were baseless

It seems you are not far from the truth there. I mean it almost feels like a 'TAKE THE PAY AND BUZZ OFF ALREADY' arrangement/Payment to ensure halliburton can continue with Business in Nigeria, with little or no downtime. Lets see how strong of a case EFCC thinks it has against Cheney, and if it will instead settle for the pay in this case.
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by Kobojunkie: 1:11am On Dec 14, 2010
[size=13pt]Nigeria considers deal to drop Cheney charges: officials[/size]
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5j_dcudZY9AkpPrU7LG2xMu-k1pHg?docId=CNG.9567db7c53d50c9a061453a81786b8d0.e11

LAGOS — Nigeria will consider a deal to drop charges against US ex-vice president D. Cheney and his former company Halliburton over a bribery scandal after "fruitful" weekend talks, officials said Monday.

Asked whether the charges were being dropped after the negotiations in London, prosecutor Godwin Obla said, "The possibility is there."

However, he would not provide details on the talks he said included high-ranking officials from energy firm Halliburton. Government officials must approve any settlement, said Obla.

"We had fruitful negotiations in London," he added.

A spokesman for Nigeria's anti-graft agency also refused to comment in detail on the talks, saying only that those involved in the case had offered to pay fines to avoid prosecution.

"There is the need for the team from London to brief the government," said Femi Babafemi.
Halliburton officials could not immediately be reached for comment.

Nigerian authorities charged Cheney and several others last week with 16 counts over a bribery scandal related to the construction of a liquefied natural gas plant. Cheney was head of Halliburton before becoming US vice president serving president George W. Bush following 2000 elections.

Others charged included Halliburton CEO David Lesar, as well as Halliburton Inc., its former subsidiary Kellogg Brown and Root (KBR), former KBR head Albert "Jack" Stanley and that firm's current leader William Utt.

[size=13pt]The case involves an alleged 182 million dollar cash-for-contract scandal over 10 years until 2005 over construction of the liquefied natural gas plant in southern Nigeria.

Halliburton has denied involvement in the allegations, and a spokesman for Cheney has dismissed the accusations against him as baseless.
The consortium involved in the gas plant, TSKJ, was also charged.
[/size]

US authorities said last year that Halliburton and KBR had agreed to pay 177 million dollars to settle charges from the Securities and Exchange Commission in the United States over the scandal.
KBR agreed to pay a further 402 million dollars to settle criminal charges brought by the US Justice Department.
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by Blazay(m): 1:14am On Dec 14, 2010
Someone has chopped the $500million pay-out option.

Too bad Ibori and Ibru did not have this option.

Hmmm!

Naija!!! cheesy

wiki leaks. . . or whatever the new name is now, please give us the details.
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by strangerf: 1:22am On Dec 14, 2010
I love Nigeria

We suck White people balls, and we dont effing care

GEJ and EFCC might as well sell Nigeria

I tell you guys, it is better to have shell in charge than these clueless goons!
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by ladej(m): 1:28am On Dec 14, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Considering

a) The speed with which the case was settled -- Just last week Thursday, Hillary Clinton got the question on the case and she mentioned that she had no comment since it was in court.

b) The Continued insistence that the charges were baseless

It seems you are not far from the truth there. I mean it almost feels like a 'TAKE THE PAY AND BUZZ OFF ALREADY' arrangement/Payment to ensure halliburton can continue with Business in Nigeria, with little or no downtime. Lets see how strong of a case EFCC thinks it has against Cheney, and if it will instead settle for the pay in this case.
are u slowly considering the US is at least corrupt. if so yipee
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by 9ijaMan: 1:32am On Dec 14, 2010
mikeansy:

Why did they file the charges?
How would you be able to tell that EFCC is still working if such "big man white American involved" charges are not filed? Has someone has alluded above, GEJ will probably get the lion share of the payoff to continue to fund his losing campaign.
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by Kobojunkie: 1:34am On Dec 14, 2010
ladej:

No, I am not considering it at all(such thoughts do not cross my mind at all) because I have never espoused the  belief there exists a NON-corrupt/PERFECT entity/community/people/nation/country etc.  in the first place.

It is people like you who continue to miss out on that fact, that are plagued with thoughts like the one you ask of there.

Moving on now . . .

Does anyone have an idea what the 16 charges filed against Cheney are? I find it weird that no one has posted or written of the 16 charges to date but information on Charges against Ibori, Ibru, etc are easily available.
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by ladej(m): 1:36am On Dec 14, 2010
Kobojunkie:

No, I am not considering it at all(such thoughts do not cross my mind at all) because I have never espoused the  belief there exists a NON-corrupt/PERFECT entity/community/people/nation/country etc.  in the first place.

It is people like you who continue to miss out on that fact, that are plagued with thoughts like the one you ask of there.

Moving on now . . .
i merely asked a question. why the sermon?
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by Kobojunkie: 1:38am On Dec 14, 2010
ladej:

i merely asked a question. why the sermon?

The sermon was needed because your question was based on an assumption that I probably reasoned the way you do in such.
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by strangerf: 1:39am On Dec 14, 2010
^^^^

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by ladej(m): 1:41am On Dec 14, 2010
Kobojunkie:

The sermon was needed because your question was based on an assumption that I probably reasoned the way you do in such.
i made no assumptions whatsoever. and i am perfectly happy to have a separate reasoning from u or anyone else. thats what make us unique as humans. infact i learn from those who have a separate and distinct opinion from mine
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by Kobojunkie: 1:44am On Dec 14, 2010
ladej:

i made no assumptions whatsoever. and i am perfectly happy to have a separate reasoning from u or anyone else. thats what make us unique as humans. infact i learn from those who have a separate and distinct opinion from mine

Yes you did make an assumption.
ladej:

The question above assumes that I somehow or at one time believed the USA was devoid of corruption. And so, I felt I had to explain to you that I don't have to worry about things like that because I don't believe there is such a thing as a PERFECT/ CORRUPTION FREE/ HOLY etc PERSON/PEOPLE/ETHNIC GROUP/NATION/COUNTRY/CONTINENT/PLANET etc

If not the one, then not the other!
Re: Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney by ladej(m): 1:45am On Dec 14, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Yes you did make an assumption.
The question above assumes that I somehow or at one time believed the USA was devoid of corruption. And so, I felt I had to explain to you that I don't have to worry about things like that because I don't believe there is such a thing as a PERFECT/ CORRUPTION FREE/ HOLY etc PERSON/PEOPLE/ETHNIC GROUP/NATION/COUNTRY/CONTINENT/PLANET etc

If not the one, then not the other!
u got me at hello grin. told u, peace . im all about peace.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Elrufai's Picture Story Just Went Viral!!!!!whats Your Interpretation Of This? / FG To Ban NMA, JOHESU Over Incessant Strikes / Gej Is A Man With Divisive Character Rig Yourself In And Face WAR, Dr. Junaid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.