Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,196 members, 7,815,170 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:29 AM

Want To Learn Cooking Calabar Food? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Want To Learn Cooking Calabar Food? (7124 Views)

Which Joint Can I See Correct Calabar Food In Lagos? / A Picture Of Vincent Enyeama Cooking Okro Soup / Calabar Food Is Overhyped! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Want To Learn Cooking Calabar Food? by sukieboy(f): 12:15pm On Jun 01, 2007
Calabar guys are wonderful cooks if they actually want to do it.
I can cook all calabar dishes very well, so if you have any problem or you want to learn cooking any of the numerous calabar delicacies, just ask me here or call 08037413681(not at night please, I beg you.).
Re: Want To Learn Cooking Calabar Food? by omoge25(f): 11:28pm On Jun 06, 2007
How do you cook Afang and edikaingkong soup, i've tried and its just not coming out PERFECT.
What other calabar foods are out there, i only know of these 2 soups.
Re: Want To Learn Cooking Calabar Food? by Imani(f): 9:49pm On Jun 07, 2007
sukieboy:

Calabar guys are wonderful cooks if they actually want to do it.
I can cook all calabar dishes very well, so if you have any problem or you want to learn cooking any of the numerous calabar delicacies, just ask me here or call 08037413681(not at night please, I beg you.).

Can you provide recipes to the most common delicacies?

Thanks in advance
Re: Want To Learn Cooking Calabar Food? by sukieboy(f): 7:38pm On Jun 13, 2007
Hi,
Thanks for ur interest in Calabar delicacies. cooking afang abd Edikang Ikong to bring out the taste requires you taking the right steps at the right time.
Afang is the simplest.
You have to consider the quality of the afang leaves you are buying. It has to fresh kind of. then, the water leaves should not be too much for it. then you have to boil the chopped water leaves first to reduce the water in it.
get ur meat and fish well seasoned with onions and pepper, etc.

then the red oil you will use is very important too. ask for calabar red oil or u test and good red oil that flows easily and does not have odour.
put the oil before the seasoning (Maggi or Knor)
let just hold it here for Afang.

There are many other Calabar delicacies like Atama, Editan, Ekpang Nkukwo, EkpangIwa and Otong soup, Etidot (bitter leaves), abak(Okasi) etc.

I will get the recipes ready later on this forum
Re: Want To Learn Cooking Calabar Food? by omoge25(f): 4:50am On Jun 14, 2007
Thanks looking foward to it. smiley
Re: Want To Learn Cooking Calabar Food? by ThoniaSlim(f): 3:19am On Jun 26, 2007
@sukieboy
you did not also mention the kind of fish your buying, for an afang soup to come out well and get a good taste, the fish has to also be considered, avoid using head of stock fish, because this does not really bring out the taste, also the kind of smoked fish you use is also important, the calabars have a kind of smoked fish that is being used to cook.
Re: Want To Learn Cooking Calabar Food? by sukieboy(f): 7:29pm On Sep 19, 2007
@Thormslim,

Yes, the type of smoked fish is important but I didn't really note thatsome use fresh water fishes. The calabars does not really use a special fish but a salt water fish with that has less bones and more flesh.
This ofcourse is very common around the Niger Delta.
Less I forget, am really sorry for staying away that long.

I will like to discuss on one of our very wonderful delicacy that is not common even among some calabars.
Its called ''Efere Ibaba'' "Efere" in Efik/Ibibio mean soup and Ibaba is the seed fromthe Ibaba plant.

If you know how the "Ogbono" looks like from source then you will have a very fare idea of what Ibaba would look like.
RECIPE;
1 Half a tea cup of Ibaba seeds (processed)
2. 2cups of water
3. half a tea cup of crayfish
4. A teaspoon of papper
5. Sizeable stock fish
6. dryfish
7. 10grammes of Uyayak
8. A teaspoonful of shrimps
9. A teaspoonful of table salt.

Please folks I am quite busy asking to other food threads. I will get the procedure for you guys soonest.
Re: Want To Learn Cooking Calabar Food? by Joicz(f): 11:56am On Sep 20, 2007
Keep up the good work sukieboy, more grease to your elbow,

i agree that the Efik man can cook verrry well when he's in the mood, my brothers bear testimony, they can almost beat me if i no stand well, well lol

its time we get the fame of our efik delicacies to go digital grin

However, Afia efere cum usung abia has to join that list o!!
Re: Want To Learn Cooking Calabar Food? by omoge25(f): 5:46am On Sep 21, 2007
whats Uyayak? na spice or leaf?
Re: Want To Learn Cooking Calabar Food? by sukieboy(f): 7:28pm On Sep 26, 2007
omoge25:

whats Uyayak? na spice or leaf?

@ Omoge,
Uyayak is a native spice gotten from the jungle. Its particularly used for white soups.
I hope to get a pic for you we I get home this Christmas cos I can't go out looking for it here in lagos.
Atmost I will ask my mum to export it to Lag for ur sake cheesycheesycheesy
Joicz:

Keep up the good work sukieboy, more grease to your elbow,

i agree that the Efik man can cook verrry well when he's in the mood, my brothers bear testimony, they can almost beat me if i no stand well, well lol

its time we get the fame of our efik delicacies to go digital grin

However, Afia efere come usung abia has to join that list o!!
@Joizc,
Thanks for the compliment. We all need to represent and help others to appreciate the beauty in diversity cheesycheesycheesycheesy
Thanks dear. Hope to get the Afia Efere okop usem ebot for you soonest cheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy
Cheers
Re: Want To Learn Cooking Calabar Food? by sukieboy(f): 5:48pm On Feb 15, 2008
Am most sorry for abandoning to thread. I have been very busy. Am an Engineer and been working on a very big ICT project across the country. I have just come back from Taraba state and for the first time in abt 4 months I am coming to this thread.

This is what am going to do. I will write all that I feel is nice to be here and will then ask my young guys in the office to post them for me. There after i will fine time to respond to ur questions okay.
Thanks for understanding.

Cheers
Re: Want To Learn Cooking Calabar Food? by ebonyx1: 11:57am On Mar 20, 2008
@sukieboy
you havent said anything about edikangkong soup,sorry about the spelling
Re: Want To Learn Cooking Calabar Food? by LondonCool(m): 1:31am On Oct 05, 2008
Re: Want To Learn Cooking Calabar Food? by Nobody: 9:57am On Dec 19, 2013
Re: Want To Learn Cooking Calabar Food? by MsAnne(f): 11:19pm On Dec 20, 2013
Kemouche: Any calabar fellow in the haus? Should help with dis recipes pls undecided
U̶̲̥̅̊ nid recipes 4 which kind of calabar soup?
Re: Want To Learn Cooking Calabar Food? by demmykay: 3:00pm On Dec 21, 2013
Pls I need recipe for afang and white soup. I bought des spicy for pepper soup frm des igbo women in d mrk, its already mixed togeda. D pepper soup taste more like white soup I used to eat frm M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ friend back in sch. I want to know if des spicy can be used to prepare white soup.
Re: Want To Learn Cooking Calabar Food? by MsAnne(f): 3:02pm On Dec 23, 2013
Recipe 4 afang soup:
Meat
Pomo
Dryfish
Perinwinkle(optional)
Afang leaves
Waterleaf
Crayfish
Palm oil
Stockfish

How 2 prepare it:
Wash n boil ur meat,pomo,stockfish,dryfish..
Seasoning it ur maggi,salt n liltle pepper
Also add ur washed perinwinkle,but pls make sure U̶̲̥̅̊ wash it wiv salt n warm water
Wen ur stock is soft U̶̲̥̅̊ add ur sliced waterleaf n ur palmoil
After doing dat U̶̲̥̅̊ allow it 2 steam a little
Den add ur grinded afang leaves n crayfish n turn it
Allow it 2 boil for 5mins
And ur afang soup is ready

(1) (Reply)

Have you eaten Egret before--"tastes like beef" / Help With Spring Rolls / Yummy & Crunchy From Cynhams Cakes, Abuja!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.