Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,552 members, 7,955,055 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:36 PM

My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue (33647 Views)

My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. / My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires / My Landlord And I (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by OGHENAOGIE(m): 5:32pm On Feb 13, 2020
bigiyaro:
did you read the part where he said the landlord claimed he has never lived in that house?
is the landlord staying there?
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by sapeleboi(m): 5:41pm On Feb 13, 2020
shine your eye , don't let them use your head . either settle them or you pay

Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by Neoteny(m): 5:55pm On Feb 13, 2020
OGHENAOGIE:
the discos have their own too there are times pple don't have light yet bills are sent... in situations like this tenant landlord and phcn must compromise certainly not all d accumulated bills can be paid a certain Percentage should be written off as bad debts...our area we had no light for a period of over 6 months yet bills were coming... do u Now expect pple 2 respond 2 accumulated bills wholeheartedly... provide meters quit estimated billing which is fraud... then anyone who defaults should pay...landlord monitor ur house 2 ensure dubious tenants don't do anyhow...

I quite agree with you
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by bigiyaro(m): 6:12pm On Feb 13, 2020
OGHENAOGIE:
is the landlord staying there?
no, the landlord lives somewhere else.
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by bigiyaro(m): 6:14pm On Feb 13, 2020
Lexusgs430:

I did, the landlord owns the property and should ensure all bills are paid, before any tenant departs.........
so the landlord is suppose to take former tenant to court for not paying bills?
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by Lexusgs430: 6:19pm On Feb 13, 2020
bigiyaro:
so the landlord is suppose to take former tenant to court for not paying bills?

If that is what it takes, he can. But it's important to factor in cost of litigation vs debt..........
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by Lexusgs430: 6:23pm On Feb 13, 2020
Let's look at a hypothetical situation.......

The house gets burnt down..... Does the landlord expect the tenant, pay to rebuild or approach his insurance company or fully fund, if not insured?......

NB : Fire was not due to tenants negligence, but faulty wiring etc etc
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by Jhoanner(f): 6:25pm On Feb 13, 2020
It's a principle of tenancy law that the landlord should 1) not derogate from the grant of the lease 2) make the property fit for use 3)enable the tenant have peacable possession of the property. Your landlord is found wanting in all of these. He allowed an infraction on a meter which is criminal and has by his conduct put you in a further position that would have continued the illegality. I'll advise you to write him a strong-worded letter asking for a refund of your rent if the issue is not resolved or threat of legal action. Do not sleep on your rights!! You can reach me on brownjoanna50@gmail.com

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by misskenny(f): 6:59pm On Feb 13, 2020
The house a friend got also had the same issue.

The landlord told him to pay and deduct from the next rent.

He stays in the compound, I think that was what made it easier.
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by billbonesmd(m): 7:44pm On Feb 13, 2020
Why waste energy on a delinquent
You sef
Openedheavens:

Well, I won't insult u to tell u how civil I am.
BTW, I kept this space because of you.

Firstly, passing English language comprehension requires good IQ and patience...

You will do well by reading again and note that there's no time I went to the nepa office to make a complaint.
The nepa guy came to inspect, saw the fault, dropped his number ( he wouldn't have dropped his number if he didn't find a fault). I had to call him, explained my case and he asked that I bribe him.
I don't bribe, but most importantly it's a foolish thing to do since there are many officials who come for inspection..
Until I bribe the whole nepa staff who will likely keep calling themselves, pointing my flat to other colleagues for further reaping.

Secondly, don't u think it could backfire and the nepa staff that won't take bribe will come one day. Find the fault and hand me over to the police. Then, I will seek advice on nairaland and your likes will still call me a thief and suggest that I am locked up.

And at that point my landlord exonerated.

You can do well by thinking like a civil person now that I have guided you and suggest something better.
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by Eberex(m): 8:40pm On Feb 13, 2020
Same thing happened to me when I moved into an apartment in ogba in 2016. I saw the last nepa bill as #30k. Landlord cleared it. I was relieved. We have six flats in the compound. And when they bring the bills, they bring for all the flats, and all the bills had the name of the landlord.

After like two months there was an additional bill with the name "Michael" on it. The bill on it was #560k. Well I said to myself , this is a wrong bill because no one bears Michael here. The bill kept coming until it hit 700k, haba. Not until one day NEPA people came and said a flat owes 700k plus in our compound and we have to pay or else they will remove everyone's cable until it is paid. Other tenants told them the name on the bill belong to my flat, that he was the last tenant. Can you people imagine? We sha bribed them and I called the landlord.

He told me he tried to resolve it last time but wasn't possible so he had to go to their office to have all bills under his name. But why didn't you clear or ask your former tenant to clear his bill before vacating your house?

That was how my flat was targeted o! Even NEPA from alausa came because of it. After like 6mnths I didn't hear from them I was happy and thought maybe they have forgotten. But how wrong I was, because they came again and I always bribe them. I kept bribing till I moved out.

I pity the next tenant, because they won't tell him this part of the story about the flat.
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by iamSirPhil(m): 8:48pm On Feb 13, 2020
Clearly you jus got into Nigeria newly or maybe u just moved in from Lekki...

You have only two options and you may not necessarily like it...

1. Pay the nepa guy off (do this with every intention of packing out after ur rent expires) just enjoy the free light, atleast u have like less than 8months to go.

2. Get a lawyer (buh I can promise you that the system is extremely slow, expensive and time wasting) jus be ready for different offices to be opened on ur head.

If ur forming civil or legit... Na for your pocket las las.
Either way, you don buy market. Take it or take it. Period. Jus do ur time and move out. Shikena.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by Nobody: 9:07pm On Feb 13, 2020
I did my internship with Nepa and you are not the first person to have a debt not accrued by you. Many people have packed into houses that had debts and they had to make an agreement on how to service the debt. So it's not your fault. It's the country we find ourselves in.

My advice will be that you should make an agreement with Nepa on how you will be servicing the debt every month. You can be servicing the debt every month. Maybe 7k or 5k per month until it is cleared. Where ever you stop, the next tenant will continue from there until it is finally cleared.

Giving a bribe is very short sighted because if the guy you gave bribe to is no longer working there, you will pay another bribe to the new person. So just give yourself peace by doing the right thing.

It has nothing to do with your landlord in my own opinion.
All the best.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by Nobody: 9:20pm On Feb 13, 2020
Lexusgs430:

So you expect the new tenant, to pay an outstanding bill, the previous tenant refused to pay?......

The landlord owns the property and should ensure all bills are paid, before any tenant departs.........

My dear this tenant is not the first to pay outstanding bills of previous tenant. It is the unfortunate situation we find ourselves in as a country. In Nigeria that someone will literally pack out overnight and in the morning everywhere is empty and tenant is no where to be found. How do you want the landlord to make sure that bills are paid. Moreover, the landlord doesn't live in the same compound.

Bribing is not even an option because you will bribe them taya. Just negotiate how you will pay the debt every month with Nepa. That way, nobody will disturb you. Even Nepa officials will not ask you for bribe if you do it like that.
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by Lexusgs430: 9:28pm On Feb 13, 2020
AnonymousRebec:

My dear this tenant is not the first to pay outstanding bills of previous tenant. It is the unfortunate situation we find ourselves in as a country. In Nigeria that someone will literally pack out overnight and in the morning everywhere is empty and tenant is no where to be found. How do you want the landlord to make sure that bills are paid. Moreover, the landlord doesn't live in the same compound.

Bribing is not even an option because you will bribe them taya. Just negotiate how you will pay the debt every month with Nepa. That way, nobody will disturb you. Even Nepa officials will not ask you for bribe if you do it like that.

Still does not absolve the landlord from that responsibility.........

Been a landlord, is more than erecting a property and only want to be collecting rents.....
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by Lexusgs430: 9:30pm On Feb 13, 2020
AnonymousRebec:

Assuming I was in that position, I would never pay outstanding bills from a previous tenant.......

2 options available to me.....

- Generator
- Seek alternative accommodation
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by EmmanuelCena(m): 9:46pm On Feb 13, 2020
thatigboman:
how is the landlord a criminal? Did the landlord that had never stayed in the house the one that accrued d bil0l?

He clearly eas awarenof the accrued charges on the metre.
He should have informed the tenant.

All thesame, the metre is in his name .
Eventually, he will be the sole bearer of the liability, should a legal battle ensue
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by EmmanuelCena(m): 9:49pm On Feb 13, 2020
goaldynman:

Involving a lawyer doesn't necessarily mean going to Court! Lawyers these days are inclined to Alternative Dispute Resolution!

The Op's lawyer can write a threatening letter to his landlord with a view of persuading him to offset the electricity bill from his next rent or refunding the op's entire current rent!

The Op can as well visit Lagos State Mediation Centres with branches in different districts of Lagos!! They will quickly resolve the issue between the Op and his landlord within 2weeks.!!

Very well!
I kmow little about these things.
More reason i concluded by asking him to get legal advice from a lawyer .
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by Sexycardib: 10:45pm On Feb 13, 2020
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by Nobody: 12:02am On Feb 14, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Assuming I was in that position, I would never pay outstanding bills from a previous tenant.......

2 options available to me.....

- Generator
- Seek alternative accommodation

Na you go buy fuel taya
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by CuriousX: 4:15am On Feb 14, 2020
Lexusgs430:

So are you saying, it's the new tenants responsibility too, to pay a bill he knows nothing about?

Have you thought this your position through at all?.....
Definitely not the new tenants responsibility. But I felt like you hit a rock on my head when you suggested that it is the responsibility of the landlord.
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by Lexusgs430: 5:54am On Feb 14, 2020
CuriousX:

Definitely not the new tenants responsibility. But I felt like you hit a rock on my head when you suggested that it is the responsibility of the landlord.

Maybe a plastic rock, i would never hit a real rock on your beautiful head........... grin

Back to the topic..........

A bill is due, old tenants have moved out....... Someone needs to clear that bill, or else this lingering issue would not just die.........

Unfortunately, it's the landlords responsibility to clear the outstanding.........
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by Lexusgs430: 5:56am On Feb 14, 2020
AnonymousRebec:

Na you go buy fuel taya

Remember, i have an option to move out, once my tenancy expires......

And when I move out, it does not just end..... I would keep monitoring the house and informing all new tenants about this issue.......

The landlord would have no choice eventually, but clear the bill............
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by Olumy39: 10:48am On Feb 14, 2020
In my own opinion,
1: you should let you lawyer know about it, so that he/she can tell you what to do.
2: You can go to the Electricity company and ear there option for you.
3: You can talk to you landlord by sharing the bill, because from is own view he didn't own the bill and you didn't use is as well but you two can find solution together amicable.
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by CuriousX: 1:20pm On Feb 14, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Maybe a plastic rock, i would never hit a real rock on your beautiful head........... grin

Back to the topic..........

A bill is due, old tenants have moved out....... Someone needs to clear that bill, or else this lingering issue would not just die.........

Unfortunately, it's the landlords responsibility to clear the outstanding.........

I think the old tenant should be tracked and arrested for fraud and made to pay the bill. That is justice. Any other thing is injustice
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by Lexusgs430: 1:37pm On Feb 14, 2020
CuriousX:

I think the old tenant should be tracked and arrested for fraud and made to pay the bill. That is justice. Any other thing is injustice

Now we are talking..... But in the absence of arresting the tenant and making them pay the bill.....

The landlord is still liable.......

Part of the duties of a landlord or any agent, at the expiration of tenancy and tenants not renewing. The landlord should ensure all bills are up to date.......

Glad we are finally on the same page....... cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by ladyF(f): 2:56pm On Feb 14, 2020
brownemmanuel43:

ladyffffffff, been a while lady, how much u dey sale bitcoin now, I wan buy like 20$

cry our minimum that we can sell is $100

But we can buy from $50+ if you have.
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by Openedheavens: 12:58pm On Feb 15, 2020
Renforce:
Bro! Go to NEPA office and speak to a senior officer. You can then pay a fraction of the incurred amount. In my compound we accrued a bill of almost 1.5million for just pumping machine angry.

Everyone in the compound uses prepaid and cos the NePA guys are always rotating staffs the new set that came wasn't doing due diligence, somehow our bill amounted to that outrageous sum.

To cut a long story short after going to their office we only paid 7% of the bill and started getting 5k monthly estimated billing.
Your landlord is being thoughtless and wicked but I'd suggest you don't make trouble with him bro.

With just 76k You could own our 250,000mAH lithium-ion solar generator that could power your TV, laptop, Dc fan and 4 lighting points for up to 10 hours daily
Please send me an email..
I'm interested in the solar generator
Re: My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue by Minette: 11:23pm On Jan 10
Hello. Good evening.

Please, I need advice so I don't take rash decisions.

Okay, I moved into this house in 2021, and one problem we had was excessive consumption of electricity. There are 3flats in my compound, 1bedroom each. Then there's the gate house (1room self-contained), which is also being paid for by the caretaker. And there's a carwash out front. The first flat was housing workers who worked in a restaurant just opposite the house and they only used sockets, there was nothing asides 2mattresses, and a few bags) in the house as I once entered there when there was a plumbing issue and the caretaker kept the spare keys with me).
The other flat is a guy who does 9-5 who was around mostly at night with a TV and small fridge...i am the only one with an AC, a small fridge, a sound system, my TV, even till date is still packed, I never installed it in this house because I don't even have the time to view it. The only thing we all had in common were socket extensions, bulbs (energy saving) and fans.

When I moved in, we each used to contribute 1k, then tariff increased last year July, we started paying 1,500. So, this consumption went on for several months and I was told by older tenants that the pumping machine is a big one and the car wash uses the water being pumped from the compound. I approached the care taker and told him I can't be personally spending 2k a week in a compound with very few appliances. With the fact that I stopped using my AC. I noticed that we'd pump water sometimes 4-6times a day. The caretaker said that the money being realised from the carwash is what we use in servicing and fueling the generator when there's no light as well as vegetation control in the compound. Everyone kicked against it. They had to disconnect the carwash so we can service our utilities and environs ourselves. Which they did and with each person paying just 1k, our light lasted us 2months or more. Depending on the usage and supply of power.

Then this year, this new neighbour moved in. A couple with a kid. We started paying 2k each so we'd have a longer span before we'd need to recharge again. They used to send their contribution to me to buy since I'm usually mostly the one at home (I work remotely). But sometimes, we just buy light individually especially when I'm not around much. And since July, I haven't been around much.

Things were normal until they moved in all their belongings... suddenly 8k light that spills to 3months started finishing in 4-5days...

On the 2nd of December, I travelled to Lagos, aunty called me on the 8th, to tell me that everyone is contributing to her now. I send my own contribution because my younger brother was at my place then...i returned on the 21st, by 23rd, unit finished, my brother went to tell her and she said ok. She bought another one and I wondered why we're loading it in bits, but I didn't say anything. As long as there was light. Then I returned I left on 25th, I returned on 28th, by 31st, afternoon, there was no light. My brother went to meet her and she told him that we had exhausted everything. I went to her later that evening when I woke up, and she said that it even finished on the 21st, that she had to buy from her purse, then it finished on 27th again and she used her money...everyone came out and we talked, my aunty said that the meter must be faulty, that she only uses her tall fridge, that they seldom iron clothes, and TV, that's all. By my neighbour said he has seen a double burner electric stove and that he's aware that they iron a lot because her husband once hailed him for taking his clothes to the drycleaners every week, that he does all his drycleaning at home. Oga came out too and denied it, that the meter is an old meter and is most likely faulty. (Mind you, we only pump water once in 3-4days, because the water doesn't finish quickly). And this issue has been going on since October, they moved in September.

Last Thursday, before I went to see my family, we recharged 8k again o. Meanwhile, the other guy came back on Monday, I came in today being Wednesday (making 6days), My neighbour just told me that the woman told him this morning that she doesn't know if the unit will last till night time...we didn't have this problem until she became in charge of the contributions and I said it's either someone is heavily using electricity or someone is playing foul and madam dey carry nose for me...

Please, does a faulty meter use up units that are not used in the house? Because I remember back then when they started distributing prepaid newly, my family house had 2 because we had 2 phases...one was faulty and we never used it until NEPA came to retrieve it several years later and the units that was loaded in it remained the same until it was retrieved. So please, can a faulty meter cause this? Is it possible? Thank you!

Agboriotejoye:

Sorry to quote you.
Unfortunately, you're a prime example of a good citizen in a bad country.
Now calculate how much you've spent buying fuel and how much you could have used to bribe the NEPA official and you immediately look stupid.
Let me tell you, I have this same issue in my compound. If you investigate, you'll find that the debt put on the PPM is bogus and not the fault of either the landlord or the former tenant. I have a friend who fell victim of such too. He just woke up one morning to find 97k on his PPM. After extensive investigation and back and forth with NEPA guys, it was found that the debt was put on his PPM "by mistake". Oya reverse it, mba. NEPA (AEDC) hibernate. He had to bribe one of them to bypass him so he could get light after three weeks of running gen.
A guy on the first page made a very comical comment on your holy holy. He ain't wrong.
My suggestion is if you can get NERC to look at it or CPC you will end up paying nothing. But if not, simply bribe the NEPA dude and move on. Cause getting a lawyer will almost cost you same as that bill on the PPM itself. Even our God knows we're in a hell hole and have to do all we can to get by. You're not the problem. Nigeria is.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Collection Sample Of Stone Coated Roofing Tile For Your Building / A Delta Man Commissions 'Christmas House' Built By His Children (Video) / My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.