Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,287 members, 7,829,660 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:12 AM

Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? (4172 Views)

Bayelsa Is A One Man State,no Way For PDP In 2016 – Bayelsa Elders / I Will Not Ran I Will Walk Like Majestically Out Of This State--fayose / I Am From This State: The Latest APC Nairaland Propaganda And Lies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by DisGuy: 9:09am On Dec 15, 2010
Does anyone from Nairaland live in Baylesa?

Seems all the stories from this state is about Goodluck Jonathan, Alamaseigha**, Sylvia and Alaibe then the militants . . .

No business, no real estate or sports news, just contracts contracts contracts

One would think being one of the state with the highest revenue and lowest population this state should be the envy of all Southern states in the country

Apart from the state budget, there is the Ministry of Niger Delta and then NDDC

are the northerners still holding it down? tongue

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by DisGuy: 9:11am On Dec 15, 2010
We've seen pictures from Port Harcourt, Enugu, Calabar, Edo even Kwara, what's up with Bayelsa people don't live or work there?
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by Mobinga: 9:56am On Dec 15, 2010
Is Nigeria Developing?

Modded
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by PhysicsQED(m): 10:09am On Dec 15, 2010
I suspect that that state is in a state of dependency, but more so than the rest of the Nigerian states.
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by ekubear1: 11:22am On Dec 15, 2010
Only thing I know about Bayelsa is that one of my favorite artists (Timaya) is from there undecided

Yeah, I never hear anything about development there.
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by ifyalways(f): 12:12pm On Dec 15, 2010
I seriously don't think so.Its still same,just as Alams left ,most of the stuffs they commission today are his projects.
6 years ago,I went to a village not too far from Yenegoa,named Ikibiri.There was no light,tap-water,tarred road,school.The townsfolk use the flowing river for everything;wash,cook even shyte inside.  embarassed
I was there 3 years ago,nothing much have changed.They NOW have a school(no roof),mobile connection.
Folks fish and cultivate plantain all year round,nothing else to do.ooops,breed like rabbits,drink kai-kai.
Shame.
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by Abagworo(m): 1:26pm On Dec 15, 2010
God will never forgive Obasanjo for what he did to Alamiesigha just because of politics.He will forever be his peoples hero.A comparison cannot even be made between this man and GEJ in charisma,strength and leadership impact.Yenagoa is still as Alamiesigha left it even after Jonathan and Sylva have ruled the oil rich state.
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by DisGuy: 11:44pm On Dec 15, 2010
^^You mean he should have allowed him continue the looting after there was development- the benevolent looter abi?
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by DisGuy: 11:45pm On Dec 15, 2010
Even though the community we visited is a four-minute boat ride from Yenagoa, there was no sign of infrastructure in it. The boats we rode on were very old and shaky while the stinking river also served as a refuse dump. Community members had no access to pipe borne water and so most of them depended entirely on the brownish and heavily polluted water from the river with the unbearable stench coming from it. I saw them bath with it, drink from it, brush their teeth with it and take some home for cooking.

This is the reality in a community exactly fifteen minutes from Creek Haven, the seat of power in oil-rich Bayelsa State. Yenagoa mainland, the state capital, has literally become a theatre of abandoned projects. What a tragedy!

For those who do not know, Bayelsa is one of the beneficiaries of the thirteen percent derivation from oil revenue allocation at source from the federal government. Indeed some months ago, the Governor of the state, Timipre Sylva, admitted to the CNN that the state receives at least thirty million dollars (about 4.5 billion naira) every month. This excludes any internally generated revenue.

Lately, the state government has been accused of financial recklessness and mindless profligacy. Several petitions have been written by citizens of the state to anti-corruption agencies alleging forms of petty and grand corruption. Individuals believed to be close to the governor including his former commissioner of finance, Sylva Opuola Charles (now at large), have been charged by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission for laundering more than 6 billion naira worth of public resources.

Paradoxically, Bayelsa State is the only state in Nigeria that is implementing the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI) at the state level. The Bayelsa Expenditure and Income Transparency Initiative (BEITI), is a multi -stakeholder initiative inaugurated by the Sylva government and supported by the US based Revenue Watch Institute (RWI). Sources in Yenagoa and even within the BEITI secretariat confirm that it is a failed public relations project.

In terms of human population, Bayelsa State is the smallest of the 36 states in Nigeria (population of 1.7 million in 2006). In the 2008 boom year Bayelsa State received about N116 billion, roughly three times the national average, from the centre. The state depends entirely on oil revenue and has a paltry 2 percent of internally generated revenue. Per capita allocations were over 10 times higher than those in Kano State. One will naturally think that a combination of low population and high revenue will produce development.

The last Nigerian Living Standards Survey shows that more than 90 percent of Bayelsans are still poor. The World Bank Doing business report 2010 indicates that Bayelsa is the most difficult place to start business in Nigeria due mainly to bureaucratic harassment, insecurity and other issues.

Until recently, 11,132 unidentified persons drew salaries from government coffers showing that corruption might have been elevated to state policy.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5652970-182/story.csp
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by Kobojunkie: 12:12am On Dec 16, 2010
In terms of human population, Bayelsa State is the smallest of the 36 states in Nigeria (population of 1.7 million in 2006). In the 2008 boom year Bayelsa State received about N116 billion, roughly three times the national average, from the centre. The state depends entirely on oil revenue and has a paltry 2 percent of internally generated revenue.
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

I cannot believe someone actually suggested removal of Alams was a hinderance to development.
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by strangerf: 12:17am On Dec 16, 2010
^^^

You dont live in Bayelsa, do you?

Stop making baseless assumptions

It doesnt look good on you, especially for a female like you!
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by Abagworo(m): 12:23am On Dec 16, 2010
Kobojunkie:

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

I cannot believe someone actually suggested removal of Alams was a hinderance to development.

I did and stand to be proven wrong.Alams was not there at the height of oil boom when oil rose to $150,GEJ was.Alams wasnt there in 2008 either.Sylva was.Alams was set up and still lives under blackmail till date because he was meant to be Atiku's running mate.Bayelsans still appreciate the man.If you say na lie,go Bayelsa go yarn opata with him name see wetin dem go do you.
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by strangerf: 12:28am On Dec 16, 2010
^^^^

We Bayelsans know ourselves

Alams 4 life

Kobo lives in Chicago, yet bold enough to make arsinine comments about our lovely Alams!
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by Kobojunkie: 12:29am On Dec 16, 2010
Abagworo:

I did and stand to be proven wrong.Alams was not there at the height of oil boom when oil rose to $150,GEJ was.Alams wasnt there in 2008 either.Sylva was.Alams was set up and still lives under blackmail till date because he was meant to be Atiku's running mate.Bayelsans still appreciate the man.If you say na lie,go Bayelsa go yarn opata with him name see wetin dem go do you.

you want us to believe he was falsely convicted? lol . Are we speaking of the same Dipreye here?
Governor of Bayelsa State

Diepreye Alamieyeseigha was elected Governor of Bayelsa State in May 1999 as a member of the ruling People's Democratic Party (PDP). He was re-elected in 2003.[2] Vice President Atiku Abubakar attended the March 2003 event that kicked of his campaign for reelection in 2003.[3]
His opponents said he spent state money on unnecessary projects. These included an expensive new government house, an airport in his native town of Amassoma and an Olympic-sized stadium in the state capital, Yenagoa. He did little to help the people of the state, who suffer extreme poverty. A general hospital that he started building about six years ago was still to be completed by the end of 2005.[4]
Diepreye Alamieyeseigha was impeached on allegations of corruption on 9 December 2005.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diepreye_Alamieyeseigha
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by Abagworo(m): 12:37am On Dec 16, 2010
. These included an expensive new government house, an airport in his native town of Amassoma and an Olympic-sized stadium in the state capital, Yenagoa.

These achievements are his crime.Okay after these infrastructural developments mentioned above can you please tell us what new things his two successors achieved.
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by Kobojunkie: 12:43am On Dec 16, 2010
^^ Dude, dude!! You of all people should know that I don't believe in measuring mediocrity against mediocrity. I don’t engage in such ridiculous, time wasting exercises. And I have in no way absolved those who came after him for the part they also played in looting the state. But I can’t get out of my mind the part this man played in also looting the state. You mean we imagined that whole fiasco in London? I mean the one with him fleeing back to Nigeria, to continue as governor, dressed as a woman(I can still remember where I was when I heard that story)?
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by Ibime(m): 12:52am On Dec 16, 2010
Bayelsas lack of progress is not due to lack of able people or human resources, but due to PDP armed robbers who run the state and the thugs they empower.
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by 9ijaMan: 1:24am On Dec 16, 2010
Kobojunkie:

^^ Dude, dude!! You of all people should know that I don't believe in measuring mediocrity against mediocrity. I don’t engage in such ridiculous, time wasting exercises. And I have in no way absolved those who came after him for the part they also played in looting the state. But I can’t get out of my mind the part this man played in also looting the state. You mean we imagined that whole fiasco in London? I mean the one with him fleeing back to Nigeria, to continue as governor, dressed as a woman(I can still remember where I was when I heard that story)?
While I agree with your point that it makes no sense to measure a mediocre perfomance against another one, the fact remains that Alams did a lot for for his people in Bayelsa than GEJ & Sylva combined. I know the place very well 'cos I worked in some of the towns such as Nembe, Gbaran, Kolo Creek, Opokuma for several years and noted that Alams pursued some developmental projects which are either decaying currently due to lack of maintenance of halfway completed.

Alams was a crook who should be prosecuted no doubt, his thievery pales in comparison to GEJ & Sylva. That's the reason I keep asking team GEJ cronies on NL to point out what GEJ has achieved in his 12 years in governance.
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by vicenzo(m): 1:56am On Dec 16, 2010
Bayelsa is the only state where ijaw is the majority and this is what we see,the average ijaw man is lazy and lacks enterpreneur spirit and this reflects in the state of yenegoa,go to anambra,we dont have the best of leaders but the people have enterpreneur spirit and are hardworking, in onitsha people build new structures on daily basis,in my cousin's town of awka etiti every part of the village road was tarred by people,even in ogidi,peeps do the same,the governors in the east are not the best but people are making things to work by building structures,when the ijaw was in the east they accused enugu of neglecting their area and giving land allocations only to igbos hence their justification for abandoned property saga,but forty years later we can see the truth which is (1) ijawland wasnt neglected,rather peeps are lazy and couldnt develop their area as evident in bayelsa state, i wonder if ndiigbo are still leading the ijaw,most buildings in enugu,onitsha,awka,owerri,abakaliki was not built by the government but by hardworking igbos,even though government couldnt tar the roads.(2)nobody stopped the ijaw from owning property in ph,they were simply lazy and dont have the money hence the property in ph went to the highest bidders the igbos,now the igbo own 70% of the lands in abuja,i wonder if they allocated it to themselves.Why should bayelsa look better when peeps are shouting oil,oil,oil,oil and more oil and none wants to work. Go to uyo and see how that city is changing for good,ijaws hatred for ndiigbo have brought them nothing but misery,they should look at ibibio whose relationship with ndiigbo has brought them prosperity,God bless the ibibio nation.

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by 9ijaprince(m): 7:26am On Dec 16, 2010
Dis Guy:

Does anyone from Nairaland live in Baylesa?

Seems all the stories from this state is about Goodluck Jonathan, Alamaseigha**, Sylvia and Alaibe then the militants . . .

No business, no real estate or sports news, just contracts contracts contracts

One would think being one of the state with the highest revenue and lowest population this state should be the envy of all Southern states in the country

Apart from the state budget, there is the Ministry of Niger Delta and then NDDC

are the northerners still holding it down? tongue

i live and work in bayelsa. Dont worry i will post pictures later.
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by Nobody: 7:33am On Dec 16, 2010
Is any state developing at all?

Apart from Lagos and Enugu, which states are developing exactly?

No be "In Corruption We Trust" ?
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by ifyalways(f): 8:09am On Dec 16, 2010
Kobojunkie:

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Not a hindrance in any way.
If we shld talk abt development in Bayelsa,no one honestly wud exclude his name.He might be a crook but he actually did one or two good things while in office .
Every good thing in Bayelsa has Alams written over it,and since he left nothing new has happened.
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by Phate07(m): 9:39am On Dec 16, 2010

Is Nigeria developing? undecided
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by Nobody: 11:21am On Dec 16, 2010
Bayelsa is the only state where ijaw is the majority and this is what we see,the average ijaw man is lazy and lacks enterpreneur spirit and this reflects in the state of yenegoa,go to anambra,we dont have the best of leaders but the people have enterpreneur spirit and are hardworking, in onitsha people build new structures on daily basis,in my cousin's town of awka etiti every part of the village road was tarred by people,even in ogidi,peeps do the same,the governors in the east are not the best but people are making things to work by building structures,when the ijaw was in the east they accused enugu of neglecting their area and giving land allocations only to igbos hence their justification for abandoned property saga,but forty years later we can see the truth which is (1) ijawland wasnt neglected,rather peeps are lazy and couldnt develop their area as evident in bayelsa state, i wonder if ndiigbo are still leading the ijaw,most buildings in enugu,onitsha,awka,owerri,abakaliki was not built by the government but by hardworking igbos,even though government couldnt tar the roads.(2)nobody stopped the ijaw from owning property in ph,they were simply lazy and dont have the money hence the property in ph went to the highest bidders the igbos,now the igbo own 70% of the lands in abuja,i wonder if they allocated it to themselves.Why should bayelsa look better when peeps are shouting oil,oil,oil,oil and more oil and none wants to work. Go to uyo and see how that city is changing for good,ijaws hatred for ndiigbo have brought them nothing but misery,they should look at ibibio whose relationship with ndiigbo has brought them prosperity,God bless the ibibio nation.

Guy calling you a buffon would be an injustice to describe you cus ur worse than that, have you ever been to bayelsa ? my guess you haven't that's y u call yenagoa a state, you make some delusional comparisons that doesn't just add up, its a good thing for the ijaw man to be lazy than to have the blood of banditry flowing in his veins right from birth,

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by vicenzo(m): 12:59pm On Dec 16, 2010
@babatosy. You are a slowpoke like all your people,state in that context means condition,of course i know that yenegoa is the capital of the damned ijaw state of bayelsa.Thank the devil u agreed you people are lazy,always screaming oil,oil,oil,oil and more oil,governor sylva have once complained about lack of science graduates in the state,how the hell is he going to perform magic with lazy folks,even GEJ cant.Go to oguta imo state,they have oil more than most ijaw towns but most of them dont even know the amount of oil wells in their town,they are too busy studying or doing business,it is only in ijawland that folks are at home doing nothing but screaming OIL,OIL,OIL,OIL and more oil, and blame the igboman for his misery,i feel for sylva,it must be a hard job leading these folks.

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by Beaf: 2:28pm On Dec 16, 2010
Ijaw bashing thread. embarassed
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by homerac7: 2:40pm On Dec 16, 2010
@ Ileke,

Some other states r making quiet and good progress in relative term. I keep mentioning Gombe for example. I also hear abt Akwa Ibom. I still want to think dt there r other few dt I still don't knw abt yet.
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by Kobojunkie: 5:33pm On Dec 16, 2010
9ijaMan:

While I agree with your point that it makes no sense to measure a mediocre perfomance against another one, the fact remains that Alams did a lot for for his people in Bayelsa than GEJ & Sylva combined. I know the place very well 'cos I worked in some of the towns such as Nembe, Gbaran, Kolo Creek, Opokuma for several years and noted that Alams pursued some developmental projects which are either decaying currently due to lack of maintenance of halfway completed.

Alams was a crook who should be prosecuted no doubt, his thievery pales in comparison to GEJ & Sylva. That's the reason I keep asking team GEJ cronies on NL to point out what GEJ has achieved in his 12 years in governance.
ok
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by okstol: 6:05pm On Dec 16, 2010
I served in Odi. Honestly, u need to visit BY. Yenogua is a one street capital (Melford Okilo road). No sign of development. Like someone said, the visible structures their, were the ones done by Alamco. Odi is about 30 minutes drive from Yenagoa but they are still to be connected to the national grid. There is no commercial activities going on their. The only successful dudes their are megalomaniacs called politicians. BY is really in a sorry state.
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by DisGuy: 7:11pm On Dec 16, 2010
9ijaprince:

i live and work in bayelsa. Dont worry i will post pictures later.

Thanks, will b eexpecting

What's the economy like there, whats the main occupation of the residents

with all the insecurity in PH there's some level of development and people actually moving in
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by Abagworo(m): 7:21pm On Dec 16, 2010
Dis Guy:

Thanks, will b eexpecting

What's the economy like there, whats the main occupation of the residents

with all the insecurity in PH there's some level of development and people actually moving in

@bolded.I wonder where you got that wrong information.
Re: Bayelsa: Is This State Developing At All? by aljharem(m): 7:31pm On Dec 16, 2010
vicenzo:

[b]Bayelsa is the only state where ijaw is the majority and this is what we see,the average ijaw man is lazy and lacks enterpreneur spirit and this reflects in the state of yenegoa,go to anambra,we dont have the best of leaders but the people have enterpreneur spirit and are hardworking, in onitsha people build new structures on daily basis,in my cousin's town of awka etiti every part of the village road was tarred by people,even in ogidi,peeps do the same,the governors in the east are not the best but people are making things to work by building structures,when the ijaw was in the east they accused enugu of neglecting their area and giving land allocations only to igbos hence their justification for abandoned property saga,but forty years later we can see the truth which is (1) ijawland wasnt neglected,rather peeps are lazy and couldnt develop [/b]their area as evident in bayelsa state, i wonder if ndiigbo are  still leading the ijaw,most buildings in enugu,onitsha,awka,owerri,abakaliki was not built by the government but by hardworking igbos,even though government couldnt tar the roads.(2)nobody stopped the ijaw from owning property in ph,they were simply lazy and dont have the money hence the property in ph went to the highest bidders the igbos,now the igbo own 70% of the lands in abuja,i wonder if they allocated it to themselves.Why should bayelsa look better when peeps are shouting oil,oil,oil,oil and more oil and none wants to work.                           Go to uyo and see how that city is changing for good,ijaws hatred for ndiigbo have brought them nothing but misery,they should look at ibibio whose relationship with ndiigbo has brought them prosperity,God bless the ibibio nation.

vicenzo, how dare u insult our ijaw brothers like that, and yet u want them to join your biafra so they can be stigmatized

we igbos are known to be loving people only to ijaws and oginis because of there oil and land

shame on u, for letting out your true feeling about ijaws angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Marginalisation Of Ndiigbo In Nigeria Must Stop! / Biafran Protesters Crossing Westminster Bridge In London In August 1967 / Punch Newspaper Disappears From All Newspaper Vendors In Onitsha This Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.