Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,699 members, 7,816,857 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities (6021 Views)

Abuja Natives Decry Omission From Ministerial List / Govs Decry Harassment Of Gov Amaechi By The Presidency / GMB On The Decay Of Infrastructure In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by Ovularia: 10:29am On Dec 15, 2010
Foreign airlines decry decay of Lagos airport facilities

WEDNESDAY, 15 DECEMBER 2010 00:00 BY WOLE SHADARE AND CHIKA GOODLUCK OGAZI NEWS - NATIONAL

FOREIGN airlines operating in the country on Monday frowned at the weak state of the nation’s airports, appealing to the Federal Government to quicken the refurbishment of all the international airports in the country.
The operators, among which are British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Air France-KLM, Delta, Ethiopian Airways, Kenya Airways, Iberia and Emirates, expressed concern over the facilities, particularly at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos.
They spoke at a meeting with the Minister of Aviation, Fidelia Njeze, held with foreign airlines in Lagos on Monday with a view to proffering solutions to the problems confronting their operations.
Njeze had, after her opening speech, ordered journalists to leave the meeting room to the surprise of stakeholders who felt that there was nothing to hide since the meeting to which journalists were invited, was meant to find solutions to the airport’s infrastructure decay.
Some of the foreign operators, who hinted The Guardian of what transpired at the meeting, said they told the minister to find urgent solution to the epileptic carousel at the Arrival Hall of the airport.
They also lamented the lack of space to carry out proper checking, maintaining that the terminal is too congested to carry out good airline services at the Lagos airport.
In her reaction, the minister was said to have told the operators that the government had approved the commencement of the refurbishment of five airport terminal buildings in Lagos, Abuja, Kano, Port Harcourt and Enugu.
Njeze was said to have told the operators that her office was inundated with complaints of lost baggage that has become heavily associated with foreign airlines, adding that she had instructed the Consumer Protection Directorate of the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) to ensure that the passengers are given best attention.
According to her, between January and September, the consumer protection unit received approximately 46,998 complaints pertaining to lost baggage, flight delays and cancellations, poor in-flight service, high ticket sales charge and discourteous airline personnel.
“May I use this opportunity to appeal to operators to remind their personnel on the need for proper treatment of passengers, especially Nigerians, wherever they may be”, Njeze said.
She called on the airlines to help in the development of Nigeria’s aviation industry, rather than the huge capital flight, occasioned by lack of competition from Nigerian airlines.

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32347:foreign-airlines-decry-decay-of-lagos-airport-facilities&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by COMPAQ(m): 12:10pm On Dec 15, 2010
What we need is not a refurbishment. MMIA needs a BRAND NEW terminal building. For goodness sake, Heathrow has up to terminal 5 and the terminal I used last had about 12 carousels!! It is amazing that we have only about 3 immigration stamping points at MMIA. If 2 flights land around thew same time, see queue!! And rather than the silly immigration guys working swiftly, ther will even slow you down the more to ask you for "wettin you bring come? Even if na perfume I no mind", shocking!!!! Nigeria is an embarrasment to Africa!! Giant indeed!!
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by DisGuy: 12:19pm On Dec 15, 2010
Njeze had, after her opening speech, ordered journalists to leave the meeting room to the surprise of stakeholders who felt that there was nothing to hide since the meeting to which journalists were invited, was meant to find solutions to the airport’s infrastructure decay.

Why do they always do this??

This is one of Goodluck Jonathan's feeble Cabinet -- Half of the ministers he chose are grossly incompetent- colourless and sterile bunch people just like their oga Mr inaudibles
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by VERYANGRY(m): 12:22pm On Dec 15, 2010
u made a point bros! btw have u been to any of those filty toilets at the airport?gawd shocked hell of a disgrace, lipsrsealed
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by DisGuy: 12:32pm On Dec 15, 2010
nahh will never expect a clean toilet from any naija service place especially a government owned

coming out of MMIA you'd think you just landed outside an open market, you get guys chasing you to change your dollars or someone trying to 'help' you with your bag to the car and the car park is soooo dark at night with hawkers and danfos going up and down- scary place to be at night!
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by Mbeki: 12:43pm On Dec 15, 2010
the Lagos airport needs to be demolished and rebuilt over a five year period, there is nothing good and modern about the airport. it belongs to the era it was built.
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by vorosmartm(m): 12:50pm On Dec 15, 2010
But you all must admit its a unique experience, even though its groutesque
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by homerac7: 12:55pm On Dec 15, 2010
Will it b approved if for example, state like lagos should build a worthy international airport somewhere in epe/ikorodu/ lekki axis to compete/complement MMIA?
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by Pukkah: 12:57pm On Dec 15, 2010
Is there any infrastructure in Nigeria that is not decaying?
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by kinharold(m): 1:00pm On Dec 15, 2010
Foreign airlines decry decay of Lagos airport facilities

Thank God they are still coming,
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201012150201078
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by Dotman01(m): 1:07pm On Dec 15, 2010
Pukkah:

Is there any infrastructure in Nigeria that is not decaying?
. . . National assembly building. . .lol
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by Mbeki: 1:09pm On Dec 15, 2010
homerac7:

Will it b approved if for example, state like lagos should build a worthy international airport somewhere in epe/ikorodu/ lekki axis to compete/complement MMIA?

Won't be a bad idea! at least it will de-congest MMIA.
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by paragga(f): 1:14pm On Dec 15, 2010
Thanks COMPAQ

Na true talk o! Our so called international airports are in total mess and its actually a shame
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by larimo(m): 1:24pm On Dec 15, 2010
Mbeki:

the Lagos airport needs to be demolished and rebuilt over a five year period, there is nothing good and modern about the airport. it belongs to the era it was built.

COMPAQ:

What we need is not a refurbishment. MMIA needs a BRAND NEW terminal building. For goodness sake, Heathrow has up to terminal 5 and the terminal I used last had about 12 carousels!! It is amazing that we have only about 3 immigration stamping points at MMIA. If 2 flights land around thew same time, see queue!! And rather than the silly immigration guys working swiftly, ther will even slow you down the more to ask you for "wettin you bring come? Even if na perfume I no mind", shocking!!!! Nigeria is an embarrasment to Africa!! Giant indeed!!

Excellent comments!
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by lovejo(m): 2:09pm On Dec 15, 2010
It should be privatized and government should just regulate the operations.
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by scopusng(m): 2:23pm On Dec 15, 2010
Elder statesman and leader of PRONACO, Pa Anthony Enahoro is dead. Unconfirmed reports said Pa Enahoro died early this morning. He was hospitalised recently and discharged after a brief illness.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/12/breaking-news-enahoro-is-dead/
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by joxiri: 2:48pm On Dec 15, 2010
I think its time our government considered building another airport in lagos somewhere along the outskirts, Lagos is on course to be the most populous city in africa, and maybe its time we had another airport to ease the pressure on murtala or maybe some flights should be diverted to the local airport cos i tell you something that local airport is beautiful which goes to show with proper effort something good can be achieved
as much as there is talk of refurbishment i dont think that is the problem the airport needs expansion more than refurbishment and its quite difficult to see where that expansion will take place in murtala
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by axeman85(m): 2:49pm On Dec 15, 2010
Not suprised. the place needs to either ne expanded or demolished and rebuilt or better still move the airport to a larger area where they can rebulild it again from scrtach . haba. immediately you land na heat go greet you combined with stench of engine oil and grease, and even the escalator no dey work, den 3immigration stamping passport and wasting time and you see them claiming staff trying ti get express clearance for their family or friend wey just come,  then you go pay 100naira for trolley, and wait ages before you baggs come out, and praying it comes out in one piece without being damaged, and as you come out na soso, taxi, recharge card sellers go begin call you.

Guys pls if una wan change money for airport dont change it in 1 go, if ok just change small amount because they are 419 there big time.

i changed money there in janaury in the evening time when i arrived. a  large amount only for me to get  home and counting it well found out av been duped of 50k.
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by iice(f): 2:55pm On Dec 15, 2010
No maintenance culture. It's no surprise
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by bjmighty(m): 3:00pm On Dec 15, 2010
Its a pity. MMA looks like Train Station 4 China.
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by otumfour(m): 3:04pm On Dec 15, 2010
Dis Guy:

nahh will never expect a clean toilet from any naija service place especially a government owned

coming out of MMIA you'd think you just landed outside an open market, you get guys chasing you to change your dollars or someone trying to 'help' you with your bag to the car and the car park is soooo dark at night with hawkers and danfos going up and down- scary place to be at night!
lmao! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by Nobody: 3:04pm On Dec 15, 2010
bjmighty:

Its a pity. MMA looks like Nanjing Train Station in China. Any "waiguoren" in the house can attest to that!? The latter is even more maintained.

oko miscalculator, how market?
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by Oluwabee(f): 3:08pm On Dec 15, 2010
Wat is not decayin in Nigeria We only manage to build and dont maintain. Maintenace Culture we no get!
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by homerac7: 3:16pm On Dec 15, 2010
@ Mbeki, Dts what I think lagos state can take opportunity of, bt knowing nigerian govt style, d moment u start it dey will rush down to claim federal jurisdiction. U knw d case of decayed lagos-badagry express way. It ws there all d time poorly maintained, d moment d state govt announced her plan to make it 10 lanes, d federal dinosaurs marched down to claim jurisdiction. Though layer amicably settled. But if under PPP dey can encourage such, it will b wonderful.
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by hannydarl(f): 3:35pm On Dec 15, 2010
Tell goodluck to give me the contract of maintaining it now he will say no only to give it to his thieving counterparts. This police finger printing and data collection thingy I knew a good reputable firm wanting to take the contract at a fair price but no the big ogas in the police needed more than half the contract worth for palm greasing and gave it out to a chop I chop contractor see where it lands us?
Nigeria no go fit better at this rate o. Lets forget prayers for now. God don turn face from us tay tay no be today.
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by sizzlers(m): 4:16pm On Dec 15, 2010
DORA AKUNYILI DON RESIGN grin grin grin grin grin NOT JOKE
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by safariman(m): 4:16pm On Dec 15, 2010
During my last trip, electricity went out at the airport, therefore, the plane couldn't dock at the gate so we all came down using the ladder and walk to the gates.  And there is now a bathroom attendant and the departure lounge has been improved with flat screen tvs and restaurants
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by sochan: 4:19pm On Dec 15, 2010
The whole country is fast rotting. nothing works in that stupid country, and then people spend so much time arguing whether pdp should be given more time. GEJ and co should go and rest, let someone else try.
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by Reference(m): 4:46pm On Dec 15, 2010
A porch to a house is exactly what an airport is to a country. If the porch is like that you can imagine what the kitchen and closet will look and smell like. MMA is a reflection of what the Nigerian government is all about. I've said it countless times, government has no business where money changes hands for goods or services. Sell that scrap now!!!!

Which true enterprise will wait for its facilities to decay to that level if it not in liquidation. Madam minister do you have to call a press conference to scrub your toilets or de-ice your freezer. How many times have MTN or GLO called press conferences to inform us of its maintenance programs. Nada, they just go ahead and do it. They are in business. In their interests the press is only called when they have something new and enterprising to offer to knock the competition off.

They wait for the whole thing to fall apart so that the problem will be big enough to attract the attention of a clueless FEC. Tomorrow you will hear one trillion naira approved for conveyor belts and the tills in Las Vegas will be rattling. Government, this government, this Nigerian government cannot handle commercial ventures. Let them just give up and leave us in peace.
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by jacobs123(m): 5:05pm On Dec 15, 2010
COMPAQ:

I don't think lagos needs a new airport. The airport is quite underutlized right now. Heathrow has two runways just like MMIA. Heathrow has so many terminals but it's one of the busiest airport in the world (I think!) interms of plane movements and passenger traffic.
how many airlines land in MMIA in a whole day. I'm not sure they are up to 50 (~ 1 plane per 30 mins) as opposed to Heathrow where a plane lands like every 2 minutes and you can see the queue. What MMIA needs is more efficiency and refurbishments. They need to attend to passengers faster, provide multi-level parking and ensure they maintain it regularly. I doubt if Lagos with the level of poverty in Nigeria can justify another international airport in terms of economics. Which airlines will fly to the place, it's the same set of FEW people that travel in Nigeria. We have pauperized our people to the extent that international air travel is seen as a big deal and therefore even though we have 150 million people, more than half of them will never travel outside of NIgeria in their lifetime!
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by Nobody: 7:42pm On Dec 15, 2010
-and that is like the best airport in the country. cool
Re: Foreign Airlines Decry Decay Of Lagos Airport Facilities by Princek12(m): 8:15pm On Dec 15, 2010
shame shame. For our leaders to allow our international airports to decay shows the shamelessness that exists in those leaders. I am always embarrassed at the sight of Murtala Muhammed Int'l Airport anytime I take my American friends to Lagos to visit.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Obi Grants Amnesty To 21 Prisoners In Anambra / Between South Sudan And The Hate Republic Of Biafra - Nkenu Timothy / Breaking News!!! Heavy Gunshots, Riot In Kogi… Roads Blocked (happening Now)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.