Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,562 members, 7,770,458 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:52 AM

My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam - Travel (46) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam (292806 Views)

Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach / I'm Traveling To London, Follow Me On My Journey..... / Breathtaking Bridge In Vietnam Looks Like Something From Lord Of The Rings(Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (114) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 3:31pm On Oct 02, 2020
TopeQs:

WhyNa!! been a while, welcome back.

my response depends on the time your twice weekly evening classes are.

You're in a place to hustle, you stated you'd like improve your earnings so I'd go with the 1st offer..

if it were me though, I'd go with the 2nd offer, secondary school kids will be better for me than kindergarten.

The third offer seems like much work that can disturb your other classes.

in other news, wow you sabi cook oo, seems vietnam is not advisable to someone who can't cook..
thumbs up.����

Lol. Your choice has been noted.

There's really no big deal in cooking. Sorta. I'm sure you can learn. There are also people here who do the I cook and deliver, you pay thinngy

2 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by TopeQs: 3:38pm On Oct 02, 2020
WhyNa:

Lol. Your choice has been noted.

There's really no big deal in cooking. Sorta. I'm sure you can learn. There are also people here who do the I cook and deliver, you pay thinngy

I can try, not my strong part though...

it's time sha, learning is a process, make dem open border ni...
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Joohan: 6:54pm On Oct 02, 2020
WhyNa:
New job....

Mid September, I had 3 demo classes on the same day and fee was negotiated Here are the offers and working time. If you were me, which would you have chosen?

Offer 1
Kindergarten
$23 per hour
Twice a week
Evenings

Offer 2
Secondary school age kids....13 above
Twice a week
$17 per hour
Evenings

Offer 3
Public primary school.. Grade 1 to 6 and Secondary school
$11-$13 per hour
7:30am
Monday to Friday.

Which would you choose bearing in mind you have a full time weekend job and some evening jobs twice a week. I'll tell you which I chose after I hear your responses

Random picture....underground tunnel. Usually leads to the other side of a very busy road

The Kindergarten class looks enticing but, kids below the age of 6 are hard to handle, so you must have lot of patience.

As a guy who loves an interactive class and loves to carry the learner along always, I'll go with the third one. Everyday class with pay...looks yummy

Anyone you choose is a nice choice, it all boils down to how you can handle and control your class.

The third one

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by EbonyCy(f): 9:31pm On Oct 02, 2020
WhyNa:
New job....

Mid September, I had 3 demo classes on the same day and fee was negotiated Here are the offers and working time. If you were me, which would you have chosen?

Offer 1
Kindergarten
$23 per hour
Twice a week
Evenings

Offer 2
Twice a week
$17 per hour
Evenings

Offer 3
$11-$13 per hour
Monday to Friday.

Which would you choose bearing in mind you have a full time weekend job and some evening jobs twice a week. I'll tell you which I chose after I hear your responses

Random picture....underground tunnel. Usually leads to the other side of a very busy road

I'll go with the second offer becos they will be easy to handle...

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 11:46pm On Oct 02, 2020
Joohan:

The Kindergarten class looks enticing but, kids below the age of 6 are hard to handle, so you must have lot of patience.

As a guy who loves an interactive class and loves to carry the learner along always, I'll go with the third one. Everyday class with pay...looks yummy

Anyone you choose is a nice choice, it all boils down to how you can handle and control your class.

The third one

Noted
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 11:46pm On Oct 02, 2020
EbonyCy:

I'll go with the second offer becos they will be easy to handle...
Noted
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Bqudds: 1:25am On Oct 03, 2020
Joohan:

The third one

Go with the third job ... cause it is during this period you're motivated and can earn as fast as possible ....but the second job will be ok since it is much easier and so this ppl wont be thinking bad about you........

2 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by igbesachick: 2:18am On Oct 03, 2020
WhyNa:
Lol. How do you change the toppings of a noodle soup It's just like you asking them to change the "toppings" in fried rice or pizza. Best they can do is remove it

That's why when it comes to Bun for example, there's Bun Ca, Bun Cha, Bun Nem, etc

3 days? Not enuogh time to judge if you ask me

they are just pieces of meat , not soaked in the soup. it is easy to replace them with some other meat. anyway, they are very impatient. they lose their interest for a conversation after 3 sentences. and one time, a girl at the "info desk" in the railway station chucked me in my halfway quest immediately after she spotted 2 white guys approaching.
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 6:40am On Oct 03, 2020
Noted
Bqudds:

Go with the third job ... cause it is during this period you're motivated and can earn as fast as possible ....but the second job will be ok since it is much easier and so this ppl wont be thinking bad about you........
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Gentlerespect76: 8:46am On Oct 03, 2020
Glad to hear from you again, Whyna. Thanks to God you are keeping well. Generally, life has been made unimaginably difficult as the world battles this dreadful Covid-19 disease. So many have lost their livelihood and you are all alone in a strange and faraway country. But the good thing is that you are capable of taking care of yourself; and God is also on your case.

On the issue of choosing in this situation, I will go by the 3rd option. It is true you did not specify how many hours beginning from 7:30. If you can take 5 periods per day in this situation, you have 60 dollars per day and I think if you able to hit 250 dollars per week under covid 2.0, God willing, when the world puts this trouble behind it you can make far above that. You can still look for a weekend job that can give you 20/3 dollars per hour to add on top. Maybe because I am more used to a kinda stable arrangement I fear big offers that come with big uncertainties or that leave gaps! Just like the 1st and 2nd offers.

Whyna, whatever you choose, may God see you through and keep you in this terrible times! I am waiting to hear more! Thanks for your updates.

WhyNa:
New job....

Offer 1
Kindergarten
$23 per hour
Twice a week
Evenings

Offer 2
Twice a week
$17 per hour
Evenings

Offer 3
$11-$13 per hour
Monday to Friday.

4 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 9:33am On Oct 03, 2020
Gentlerespect76:

Glad to hear from you again, Whyna. Thanks to God you are keeping well. Generally, life has been made unimaginably difficult as the world battles this dreadful Covid-19 disease. So many have lost their livelihood and you are all alone in a strange and faraway country. But the good thing is that you are capable of taking care of yourself; and God is also on your case.

On the issue of choosing in this situation, I will go by the 3rd option. It is true you did not specify how many hours beginning from 7:30. If you can take 5 periods per day in this situation, you have 60 dollars per day and I think if you able to hit 250 dollars per week under covid 2.0, God willing, when the world puts this trouble behind it you can make far above that. You can still look for a weekend job that can give you 20/3 dollars per hour to add on top. Maybe because I am more used to a kinda stable arrangement I fear big offers that come with big uncertainties or that leave gaps! Just like the 1st and 2nd offers.

Whyna, whatever you choose, may God see you through and keep you in this terrible times! I am waiting to hear more! Thanks for your updates.

Great analysis. Respect

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Pureheart91(m): 10:04am On Oct 03, 2020
WhyNa:
New job....

Offer 1
Kindergarten
$23 per hour
Twice a week
Evenings

Offer 2
Twice a week
$17 per hour
Evenings

Offer 3
$11-$13 per hour
Monday to Friday.

For a female the first option comes handy as the motherly instinct, perseverance and natural love for kids plays a greater role, but its gonna be hell of stress. For the Male, the first option is a No No! save few out of many.

The Second option sits well for both gender and it gives one enough room for other hustle(s) specially for one who came for the mulla.

The third option, i will go for as a first timer to gain adequate experience and plus in my teaching resume, as its a known factor that public school teachers are held in high esteem.

Meanwhile i am still battling my Tefl program oo with i-to-i, especially the young learners program, its so stressful. Damn it!

I dont know what pushed to choose such hard hours ooo...

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Nobody: 10:06am On Oct 03, 2020
WhyNa:
New job....

Offer 1
Kindergarten
$23 per hour
Twice a week
Evenings

Offer 2
Twice a week
$17 per hour
Evenings

Offer 3
$11-$13 per hour
Monday to Friday.

My choice, Offer 1 at evenings, Offer 3 in the morning

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Pureheart91(m): 10:10am On Oct 03, 2020
Gentlerespect76:

On the issue of choosing in this situation, I will go by the 3rd option. It is true you did not specify how many hours beginning from 7:30. If you can take 5 periods per day in this situation, you have 60 dollars per day and I think if you able to hit 250 dollars per week under covid 2.0, God willing, when the world puts this trouble behind it you can make far above that. You can still look for a weekend job that can give you 20/3 dollars per hour to add on top. Maybe because I am more used to a kinda stable arrangement I fear big offers that come with big uncertainties or that leave gaps! Just like the 1st and 2nd offer

I can't stop grin at your first analysis cos its quite clear you haven't ventured into the professionalism of teaching,else you will know that teaching 5 periods per day is either unattainable or very very stressful.

Be like say u dont know the stress attached with teaching. Abee, you wan wan die early!

grin
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Pureheart91(m): 10:12am On Oct 03, 2020
Citygal:

My choice, Offer 1 at evenings, Offer 3 in the morning

Sweet heart i didnt hear from you again oo. I sent u a mail without response oo. I hope all is well?
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Gentlerespect76: 10:37am On Oct 03, 2020
@Purehearts91, your impression about me is just so so wrong. There is a saying that he who does not know the personality of an individual calls him "friend".

Not to indulge in self praise, but so you know, I have been teaching for the last 15 years. This experience cuts across post primary and secondary levels of teaching. @Whyna is aware of some of my moves. Within this lockdown I was interviewed by a Canadian and offered a job to teach English in Istanbul and in a real international school. If you want to know more about me please send me a message. It's not kind for you to say things about people you know next to nothing about. In all my presentations here I have reflected a culture of respect, humility and erudition. That's me. I don't know how my advice to Whyna has reflected my inexperience. Madam you are wrong, I am even more experienced, more professional and more educated than you. It's no boast; it's true! Be humble and respectful please.

Pureheart91:

I can't stop grin at your first analysis cos its quite clear you haven't ventured into the professionalism of teaching,else you will know that teaching 5 periods per day is either unattainable or very very stressful.

Be like say u dont know the stress attached with teaching. Abee, you wan wan die early!

grin

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 10:38am On Oct 03, 2020
What I finally chose....

To start with, I rejected all of them and I'll tell you why...

Offer 1, highest offer but Kindy is not my thing.

In all you do, make sure you're teaching a level that you're absolutely comfortable with else it turns to be a nightmare and you start dreading going to work.

There are lots of people who love teaching kindergarten here, they claim it's super easy. So if you can handle the chaos and noise and have lots of patience and can clown around all day, then Kindergarten might be for you.

Other levels include primary, secondary, adult, tutoring those sitting for IELTS,TOIEC, SAT and the likes (This is huge money) and then just one on one for any level. Know what level you function best. You'll know by experience when you get here

Offer 2

My ideal candidates. Easy to teach them but one thing you have to bear in mind with this level is, you have to be good or at least teach yourself phonics especially secondary school. And I don't mean the letter M or letter T sound, I mean the ones with weird looking letters. They are called graphemes.

I however didn't take this cos if I did, I would then have a full time weekend job, 2 evenings teaching in one center with a different employee and another 2 evenings teaching in another center under a different employee.

I'd still be all over the place and still wouldn't be getting the maximum or at least the desirable pay at the end of the month. I'll probably need to get another job (I'll explain in more details later)

Offer 3

I also rejected this. Lol

This was however supposed to be the best offer as it was a full time morning job with my ideal candidates but the salary was poor.

You need to be really careful when taking a job at a public school.
Make sure the salary, bonuses if any and working conditions are right as you'll be signing a long term contract.
You'll be fined if you break that contract and it's not like the centers where anything goes.

To be honest, after I rejected the job, I started asking myself whether I made the right decision. But then I knew if I accept it and something better comes, I'm stuck.

As God will have it, 3 days to the end of September, I get a message asking what's up. I tell them my problems is with the salary so they ask me to cover the last two days of the month to further evaluate and discuss.

Long story short, the salary was increased, came with bonuses and other packages and at least 70 hours a month.

So I still get to keep all my previous jobs even though I'm thinking of changing some due to distance. I've been asking God to keep directing me and provide new and closer opportunities for me.

11 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 10:49am On Oct 03, 2020
Here, exercise is a big deal. As earliy as 5am or late in the evening, you'll see even the elderly engaging in exercise. In the parks, there are free exercise equipments too although not as sophisticated as the gym.

Theses are pictures from the new school. After first period, they all come out and a song is played and they choreograph to it. 11am, they go home for lunch.

When I taught kindergaten, theirs was every morning. 11am, lunch, then they sleep till 2pm

Tell me what else you notice in these pictures

2 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 11:41am On Oct 03, 2020
Some things you'll get used to seeing when you here

1. Females weer pyjamas about like a normal cloth. Some even wear it to the mall

2. As I said earlier, exercise is a thing here

3. You'll see ninja dressed females during the summer. You'll eventually join them is you own a bike

4. Lunch is by 11am

5. No shops or organisation are open from 11am to 1pm. They take lunch and sleep during this period including those at work. Hospitals are no exception. Maybe emergency ward is different. No idea

6. A bike is as good as a trailer here so get ready to see all sorts on the road

7. If you drive a bike, you need to have or learn James Bond skills. Be extremely careful of those old people on bicycles. They come out of nowhere and enter the road like it's their palace

8: You cross the road while vehicles are in motion. Once you start, keep walking and don't stop. They calculate and either dodge you or slow down. You stop, you get hit. It's crazy and scary at first but you'll get the hang of it

9. Pork is their main meat here

10. They go big on vegetables here. Every meal is also prepared and eaten fresh

11. You can be sure to buy fresh items every morning in the market for majority of the foodstuff.

12. They don't observe weekends here. Infact, weekends are the busiest for Centers and some kids go to school on Saturday

13. There is always construction noise coming from someone

14. You'll see random people mount speakers on the road at night and sing karaoke

15. There are lots of karaoke and massage parlours here

16. The North is cooler in terms of weather than the South

17. The 20,000 and 500,000 currency look alike. You should be careful when you get here newly make you no go give person 500k think say na 20k.

18. Their currencies include 1k, 2k, 5k,, 10k, 20k, 50k, 100k, 200k and 500k. By k, I mean thousand. There's also the 200 and and one other one which is not common. Only supermarkets give you this as change

19. Figure are rounded up when shopping. Say your bill is 230,570k, you're paying 231k or 230k

20. They have 4 seasons. Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter. It's usually really cold but doesn't show. I heard it snows in one or two places. Will find out soon

21. There are loooots of vacation sites and packages and they are very cheap too

22. Food is very cheap here

23. The Vietnamese language is a bit difficult. It has lots of intonation and one word can mean several things depending on how you pronounce or spell it

24. They are not big on school uniforms here. Every school I've seen including private schools wears the polo shirt with their logo on it. This polo shirt is quality as it doesn't fade like ours and it's worn on Mondays and Fridays. Other days, come as you like. The secondary school wears a white long sleeve with the school's logo in it. So it's possible to think it's all one big school with different branches. The logo distinguishes them

25. They aren't big on the socks and school sandals thingy too. Majority will wear a sneakers or a kito like sandals and they're good to go. Others just wear their slippers.

26. Just like back home, you take off your footwear before entering someone's house. Same thing with schools or centers

27. Electricity and water is pay as you use. Be sure to find out the rate per kW and co before moving in. Some landlords use this to make extra money

28. Your first few months, prices of things in the market will be hyped to you. Always price except you don't mind paying extra.

29. You can shop from start to finish without going to the local market too. Just buy at the supermarket. Prices are fixed and difference isn't that much. Everything is there

30. When a Vietnamese sneezes on the ground floor, you WILL hear it on the 16th floor. No kidding. You'll get used to it

31. Be careful when buying second hand bikes. Phones, okay. Bikes, no

32. They are also big on online shopping. You can order for anything including food and it will be delivered to your doorstep

33. The fastest way to get a job is through recommendation. Employees receive lots of emails and may sometimes not open or reply it. Recommendation doesn't guarantee employment. Your demo when invited does

34. There are cameras in classrooms and almost everywhere. Shops, bars, houses, etc

35. In Hanoi, it is normal for your building to have a thumb print access. Here, in Ecopark, we use access cards

36. Buses run on schedule and they are numbered. You need to figure out what number goes to your destination, the timing and bus stops. Bus fare is 130 naira to anywhere. Student go free

37. Kids start learning to ride a bike from as little as 2 years. That's how they become road "monsters". They ride their bikes to and fro school. The older ones have electric scooters and some secondary school students ride normal bikes

38. If you're a dog lover, they've got lots here. They also eat them. Lol. Be sure that your landlord accepts pets before moving in if you intend to buy one. I'm getting one next year

39. You don't beat kids here. The Vietnamese teachers are however strict and yell at them. Sometimes squeeze their ear. You can't try that. The most you can do is ask them to stand up or threaten not to give them a star or sticker

40. I once threw a chalk at a kid whose mind was always far like the kid in "Like stars in earth" They sha reported me.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by TopeQs: 11:45am On Oct 03, 2020
WhyNa:
Here, exercise is a big deal. As earliy as 5am or late in the evening, you'll see even the elderly engaging in exercise. In the parks, there are free exercise equipments too although not as sophisticated as the gym.

Theses are pictures from the new school. After first period, they all come out and a song is played and they choreograph to it. 11am, they go home for lunch.

When I taught kindergaten, theirs was every morning. 11am, lunch, then they sleep till 2pm

Tell me what else you notice in these pictures

nice nice update...
congratulations on your new job.

seems one student saw you taking the picture and pointed....

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 11:50am On Oct 03, 2020
True. Once they spot you, waving spree and Hello teacher begins. Doesn't matter how many times they see you in a day

TopeQs:

nice nice update...
congratulations on your new job.

seems one student saw you taking the picture and pointed....

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Pureheart91(m): 12:01pm On Oct 03, 2020
Gentlerespect76:

@Purehearts91, your impression about me is just so so wrong. There is a saying that he who does not know the personality of an individual calls him "friend".

Not to indulge in self praise, but so you know, I have been teaching for the last 15 years. This experience cuts across post primary and secondary levels of teaching. @Whyna is aware of some of my moves. Within this lockdown I was interviewed by a Canadian and offered a job to teach English in Istanbul and in a real international school. If you want to know more about me please send me a message. It's not kind for you to say things about people you know next to nothing about. In all my presentations here I have reflected a culture of respect, humility and erudition. That's me. I don't know how my advice to Whyna has reflected my inexperience. Madam you are wrong, I am even more experienced, more professional and more educated than you. It's no boast; it's true! Be humble and respectful please.

You only took my first response towards your suggestion to heart neglecting the message of it been very stressful.

As a professional i believe you should know how stressful it is..

Soory for the soft jabs, but that aint make me in any way disrespecting to your allure, and i didnt see where i pass off as been arrogant.

If i passed the wrong impression across, that i am sorry about. Meanwhile congrats to you Boss.

StayBlessed!
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 12:08pm On Oct 03, 2020
I forgot to add...

Just as they love trees, they love flowers too. There are large flower markets here.

Even home and I mean every home has at least 2 flower pots

Here are some more criterias to consider before accepting a job offer.

Sometimes, the salary may be a bit low but if the hours are much, then a win win. i did not say accept 8-11 dollar job ooo. That's slavery when your mates are earning 40 usd per hour.

So let's say you get an offer for 21 usd for twice a week.(Can be 2 or 3 hours a week)
That's 42 - 60 usd per week and 168 - 240 usd per month

Let's say you get another offer for 10usd 5 times a week. (can be 20 hours a week)
That's 1000 usd a month. (I can only encourage a beginner to take this to help gain experience and recover the money spent on visa and all

These are just examples. So follow this calculations and it will help you decide.

Also note that most jobs that offer 100 hours a month mean you can't work in the evening or get other part time jobs. You're stuck with them cos they will make sure they keep you busy in the morning and evening. So be sure to check all these things and read the contracts very well

These are mine. Met them here. You can see some have died. It's not my calling but I try my best

PS: I'll take questions now. Please nothing related to visa processing or agent or TEFL cos those questions have been overflogged. Also, since the borders are still closed, there's nothing new. i'll answer questions on these again when the borders are open and people begin to process their visa and have real time questions or need guidiance.

if there's anything you want me to talk about too, leave a comment and I'll try to do justice to it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Anago55: 12:25pm On Oct 03, 2020
WhyNa:
I forgot to add...

Just as they love trees, they love flowers too. There are large flower markets here.

Sometimes, the salary may be a bit low but if the hours are much, then a win win. i did not say accept 8-11 dollar job ooo. That's slavery when your mates are earning 40 usd per hour.

So let's say you get an offer for 21 usd for twice a week.(Can be 2 or 3 hours a week)

Let's say you get another offer for 10usd 5 times a week. (can be 20 hours a week)
That's 1000 usd a month. (I can only encourage a beginner to take this to help gain experience and recover the money spent on visa and all

These are just examples. So follow this calculations and it will help you decide.

Also note that most jobs that offer 100 hours a month mean you can't work in the evening or get other part time jobs. You're stuck with them cos they will make sure they keep you busy in the morning and evening. So be sure to check all these things and read the contracts very well

These are mine. Met them here. You can see some have died. It's not my calling but I try my best

PS: I'll take questions now. Please nothing related to visa processing or agent or TEFL cos those questions have been overflogged. Also, since the borders are still closed, there's nothing new. i'll answer questions on these again when the borders are open and people begin to process their visa and have real time questions or need guidiance.

if there's anything you want me to talk about too, leave a comment and I'll try to do justice to it.
. I am looking for a relatively cheap or should I say easy visa processing countries to send my brother to, I have followed this thread from inception till now, mind telling me the processes involved, the budget and all that it takes. you made me fall in love with Vietnam so no going back on Vietnam

N/B: my brother is in school now,but by January I am certain he might have finished with them , polytechnic though

Nwanyi oma biko, I need your guidance to achieve this fit and I would always be indebted to you if you can help me out
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Nobody: 12:26pm On Oct 03, 2020
WhyNa:
I forgot to add...

Well done maami, you are doing well by giving us hope here. My question is about accommodation, you once said your 1 room self contain is $237, does it have every home appliances like washing machine, iron, cooking stove and all or you start to buy them yourself? Does every house you rent have major appliances? How long does it take to learn riding bike and who teaches you?.

Do you do online teaching? And do they pay well too, I mean online English teaching jobs?

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Joohan: 12:32pm On Oct 03, 2020
WhyNa:
Some things you'll get used to seeing when you here

1. Females weer pyjamas about like a normal cloth. Some even wear it to the mall

2. As I said earlier, exercise is a thing here

3. You'll see ninja dressed females during the summer. You'll eventually join them is you own a bike

4. Lunch is by 11am

5. No shops or organisation are open from 11am to 1pm. They take lunch and sleep during this period including those at work. Hospitals are no exception. Maybe emergency ward is different. No idea

6. A bike is as good as a trailer here so get ready to see all sorts on the road

7. If you drive a bike, you need to have or learn James Bond skills. Be extremely careful of those old people on bicycles. They come out of nowhere and enter the road like it's their palace

8: You cross the road while vehicles are in motion. Once you start, keep walking and don't stop. They calculate and either dodge you or slow down. You stop, you get hit. It's crazy and scary at first but you'll get the hang of it

9. Pork is their main meat here

10. They go big on vegetables here. Every meal is also prepared and eaten fresh

11. You can be sure to buy fresh items every morning in the market for majority of the foodstuff.

12. They don't observe weekends here. Infact, weekends are the busiest for Centers and some kids go to school on Saturday

13. There is always construction noise coming from someone

14. You'll see random people mount speakers on the road at night and sing karaoke

15. There are lots of karaoke and massage parlours here

16. The North is cooler in terms of weather than the South

17. The 20,000 and 500,000 currency look alike. You should be careful when you get here newly make you no go give person 500k think say na 20k.

18. Their currencies include 1k, 2k, 5k,, 10k, 20k, 50k, 100k, 200k and 500k. By k, I mean thousand. There's also the 200 and and one other one which is not common. Only supermarkets give you this as change

19. Figure are rounded up when shopping. Say your bill is 230,570k, you're paying 231k or 230k

20. They have 4 seasons. Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter. It's usually really cold but doesn't show. I heard it snows in one or two places. Will find out soon

21. There are loooots of vacation sites and packages and they are very cheap too

22. Food is very cheap here

23. The Vietnamese language is a bit difficult. It has lots of intonation and one word can mean several things depending on how you pronounce or spell it

24. They are not big on school uniforms here. Every school I've seen including private schools wears the polo shirt with their logo on it. This polo shirt is quality as it doesn't fade like ours and it's worn on Mondays and Fridays. Other days, come as you like. The secondary school wears a white long sleeve with the school's logo in it. So it's possible to think it's all one big school with different branches. The logo distinguishes them

25. They aren't big on the socks and school sandals thingy too. Majority will wear a sneakers or a kito like sandals and they're good to go. Others just wear their slippers.

26. Just like back home, you take off your footwear before entering someone's house. Same thing with schools or centers

27. Electricity and water is pay as you use. Be sure to find out the rate per kW and co before moving in. Some landlords use this to make extra money

28. Your first few months, prices of things in the market will be hyped to you. Always price except you don't mind paying extra.

29. You can shop from start to finish without going to the local market too. Just buy at the supermarket. Prices are fixed and difference isn't that much. Everything is there

30. When a Vietnamese sneezes on the ground floor, you WILL hear it on the 16th floor. No kidding. You'll get used to it

31. Be careful when buying second hand bikes. Phones, okay. Bikes, no

32. They are also big on online shopping. You can order for anything including food and it will be delivered to your doorstep

33. The fastest way to get a job is through recommendation. Employees receive lots of emails and may sometimes not open or reply it. Recommendation doesn't guarantee employment. Your demo when invited does

34. There are cameras in classrooms and almost everywhere. Shops, bars, houses, etc

35. In Hanoi, it is normal for your building to have a thumb print access. Here, in Ecopark, we use access cards

36. Buses run on schedule and they are numbered. You need to figure out what number goes to your destination, the timing and bus stops. Bus fare is 130 naira to anywhere. Student go free

37. Kids start learning to ride a bike from as little as 2 years. That's how they become road "monsters". They ride their bikes to and fro school. The older ones have electric scooters and some secondary school students ride normal bikes

38. If you're a dog lover, they've got lots here. They also eat them. Lol. Be sure that your landlord accepts pets before moving in if you intend to buy one. I'm getting one next year

39. You don't beat kids here. The Vietnamese teachers are however strict and yell at them. Sometimes squeeze their ear. You can't try that. The most you can do is ask them to stand up or threaten not to give them a star or sticker

40. I once threw a chalk at a kid whose mind was always far like the kid in "Like stars in earth" They sha reported me.

I got to know that the previous picture was mid autumn festival. Thanks for the update and congratulations on the new job.

I encountered lots of native speakers on a WhatsApp group and they seem to be arrogant. Majority of them believe that non native speakers are not fit to teach the English language.

Have you encountered any IRL?
Secondly, how flexible is their lesson plan?
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Nobody: 12:39pm On Oct 03, 2020
Pureheart91:

Sweet heart i didnt hear from you again oo. I sent u a mail without response oo. I hope all is well?

I didn’t respond because you were untruthful (the so called link you attached to your mail, you know what I’m saying) so I wonder why I should reply you with my personal info.
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Pureheart91(m): 12:53pm On Oct 03, 2020
Citygal:

I didn’t respond because you were untruthful (the so called link you attached to your mail, you know what I’m saying) so I wonder why I should reply you with my personal info.

what link are you talking abou' and how was i untrutful...

Wow, someone seeing your message will think otherwise, anyways proof don't lie

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 1:29pm On Oct 03, 2020
Anago55:
. I am looking for a relatively cheap or should I say easy visa processing countries to send my brother to, I have followed this thread from inception till now, mind telling me the processes involved, the budget and all that it takes. you made me fall in love with Vietnam so no going back on Vietnam

N/B: my brother is in school now,but by January I am certain he might have finished with them , polytechnic though

Nwanyi oma biko, I need your guidance to achieve this fit and I would always be indebted to you if you can help me out

First, you need to read from page one of this thread. It was all mentioned
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 1:36pm On Oct 03, 2020
Citygal:

Well done maami, you are doing well by giving us hope here. My question is about accommodation, you once said your 1 room self contain is $237, does it have every home appliances like washing machine, iron, cooking stove and all or you start to buy them yourself? Does every house you rent have major appliances? How long does it take to learn riding bike and who teaches you?.

Do you do online teaching? And do they pay well too, I mean online English teaching jobs?

Nope. My previous apartment, one room self contained was 206 USD. It only had a fridge and AC. Washing machine was general. My friend upstairs was paying 237USD. Also a self con but bigger, had TV and washing machine and fridge.

My current apartment is one bedroom and it's fully furnished down to spoon and hangers and I pay Sam 237 USD.

It all boils down to location. Apartments that are not furnished can be cheaper but cheaper is relative

About learning to ride a bike, it depends on you and the teacher. I learnt after four lessons. A friend learnt after 2 lessons. A friend can taech you. it there's also this group on Facebook that teach people

About online jobs, I online did during the lockdown and I was new so I accepted any and everything to survive. There weren't jobs then and bills needed to be paid.

Some online jobs pay well but you need to be careful. People teach for one month and pay day, company blocks them and no longer exists.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 1:40pm On Oct 03, 2020
Joohan:

I got to know that the previous picture was mid autumn festival. Thanks for the update and congratulations on the new job.

I encountered lots of native speakers on a WhatsApp group and they seem to be arrogant. Majority of them believe that non native speakers are not fit to teach the English language.

Have you encountered any IRL?
Secondly, how flexible is their lesson plan?

True. Many of them are arrogant and stupid. Pay no mind to them

If by IRL you mean interracial relationships, yes. There are lots here. Many of our Naija guys are married to Vietnamese. Lots of Vietnamese ladies are also married to westerners

About lesson plan, each school or center has it's own. Some will send you a well prepared one. Others will give you the syllabus and ask you to prepare yours. It all depwnds

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (114) (Reply)

General UK Visa Enquiries / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.