Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,533 members, 7,770,388 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:13 AM

My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam - Travel (56) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam (292801 Views)

Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach / I'm Traveling To London, Follow Me On My Journey..... / Breathtaking Bridge In Vietnam Looks Like Something From Lord Of The Rings(Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (114) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Youonlyliveonce: 2:58pm On Nov 19, 2020
endee1996:
pls guys,I read on a site about MOVING TO VIETNAM that another option of moving is getting a business visa,travel to Vietnam and start applying for jobs. as soon as your three months visa is about to expire. you apply for work visa.

is this reliable pls?

Sure, If you have the funds and a legit Company/Agent ready to run the Visa for you.
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by regizoch(m): 4:36pm On Nov 19, 2020
Citygal:

For WAEC, go to the school you wrote the exam. For BSc., go to your department
must the BSc be original, dont They accept statement of result?
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Nobody: 6:02pm On Nov 19, 2020
regizoch:
must the BSc be original, dont They accept statement of result?

I don't know o. But at the beginning of the tread, the OP said something like Statement of Result was not accepted at the Embassy, she had to apply for her first degree certificate right there in Abuja.

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Joohan: 10:31pm On Nov 19, 2020
Thane:

thanks very much, my first problem is getting the original waec and bsc. I asked my classmates about the waec but no response yet, for the bsc, I was told it usually comes out after 4 yrs of graduation. How did u do yours please

For the WAEC result, if you stay in Lagos, go to the headquarter at Yaba.

Schools defer, mine gives your certificate after 2years
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Thane(m): 12:17am On Nov 20, 2020
Joohan:

For the WAEC result, if you stay in Lagos, go to the headquarter at Yaba.

Schools defer, mine gives your certificate after 2years

Thanks very much, I'm in lagos but my sec sch is in Onitsha. If it is possible to get it in lagos, what are the requirements I need to present in the waec office when I get there?
About the bsc certificate, so I have to wait till whenever it's available abi?
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Nobody: 5:55pm On Nov 20, 2020
Thane:

Thanks very much, I'm in lagos but my sec sch is in Onitsha. If it is possible to get it in lagos, what are the requirements I need to present in the waec office when I get there?
About the bsc certificate, so I have to wait till whenever it's available abi?
All these enquires can be made when you visit the appropriate offices (WAEC & your department).
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by ejikemichael: 11:07am On Nov 23, 2020
Make friends with Vietnamese and go with them to buy things you need. I still regret the first set of cloth shopping I did

So it's just like back in Naija, how you know that Oyingbo and mile 12 iare the best places for food stuff and alaba for electronic and co, it's the same here.

Yes you can actually get all you want from the supermarket but trust me, you'd get cheaper things when you have a Vietnamese friend wey Sabi.

For example, I like snacking and have gotten used to having dessert after each meal. Before, I used to do Doritos, yoghurt or some Korean snack. I can comfortably afford these things but variety they say is the spice of life and I've come across some locally made snacks that are really really good and cheap.

Same with clothing. You'd marvel at the winter jackets I bought at a give away price. Something I would have bought at triple the price if I had gone to the shopping mall.
Please Whyna i sent you a mail kindly reply
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by ejikemichael: 11:09am On Nov 23, 2020
WhyNa:

Big YES
Please kindly reply me on email i sent you a message
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by kevwemanuel: 11:36am On Nov 24, 2020
@whyna or anyone with sufficient know-how, how can we beat the "accent" challenge? Are all Vietnam organizations very rigid when it comes to accent discrimination or it varies from organization to organization?

In an application I made, after passing through the necessary stages, I was evicted on the basis of my accent. I have attached my eviction mail.

For people that have started sending applications, please kindly share your experience so far.

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by molbic(m): 11:58am On Nov 24, 2020
kevwemanuel:
@whyna or anyone with sufficient know-how, how can we beat the "accent" challenge? Are all Vietnam organizations very rigid when it comes to accent discrimination or it varies from organization to organization?

In an application I made, after passing through the necessary stages, I was evicted on the basis of my accent. I have attached my eviction mail.

For people that have started sending applications, please kindly share your experience so far.
. oh so sorry my g but questions for you are : were you faking accent or you were using normal Nigerian accent because I never knew I had an accent until I listened to my self on a radio and microphone and I was annoyed with it.. although since I noticed I had worked on it and it's better now

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by kevwemanuel: 1:18pm On Nov 24, 2020
molbic:
. oh so sorry my g but questions for you are : were you faking accent or you were using normal Nigerian accent because I never knew I had an accent until I listened to my self on a radio and microphone and I was annoyed with it.. although since I noticed I had worked on it and it's better now
Thanks. Please share how you worked on it.
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by dlordy100: 2:09pm On Nov 24, 2020
kevwemanuel:

I feel you faked your accent and never used the normal Nigerian accent due to fear you would be judged on that

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by kevwemanuel: 2:14pm On Nov 24, 2020
dlordy100:

I feel you faked your accent and never used the normal Nigerian accent due to fear you would be judged on that
No, I didn't fake it. Although my accent is far above the average Nigerian accent. From this verdict, it's apparent that the average Nigerian accent will be totally unacceptable by this organization. This corresponds with @molbic's observation that his normal Nigerian accent was highly flawed when he listened to himself on radio. I don't know if the same holds true for other organizations.

Do you have a real life experience? Please share.

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Youonlyliveonce: 9:37pm On Nov 24, 2020
kevwemanuel:

No, I didn't fake it. Although my accent is far above the average Nigerian accent. From this verdict, it's apparent that the average Nigerian accent will be totally unacceptable by this organization. This corresponds with @molbic's observation that his normal Nigerian accent was highly flawed when he listened to himself on radio. I don't know if the same holds true for other organizations.

Do you have a real life experience? Please share.

The problem is you definitely faked an accent, it's easier to use your normal Nigerian accent than trying to fake an American accent. It was probably an American that reviewed your submission.

And the bolded is not true, I have spoken to a lot of foreigners they understand what you saying more with your normal accent than trying to sound American you will always sound funny to them.

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by kevwemanuel: 3:10am On Nov 25, 2020
Youonlyliveonce:

The problem is you definitely faked an accent, it's easier to use your normal Nigerian accent than trying to fake an American accent. It was probably an American that reviewed your submission.

And the bolded is not true, I have spoken to a lot of foreigners they understand what you saying more with your normal accent than trying to sound American you will always sound funny to them.

At the bolded, you were not there with me in the video. I, who made the video, told you that I didn't fake the accent. Don't you think it's very wrong to claim that I "definitely" faked the accent? I posted my observation because I wanted a candid advice, it would be foolish for me to have a headache and yet tell a doctor that I have abdominal cramps.

About your second paragraph, if you take a close look at the response I got from the organization, you will notice that they acknowledged that they could understand me. In fact, the writer said he personally enjoys listening to different accents, but his students may have problem with pronunciation of other accents. So understanding is not the problem here. The problem is that they claim that the target students will not be comfortable with my "Nigerian accent".

The foreigners that you spoke to, did you speak to them on a normal daily conversation basis or you were being interviewed for an English teaching job? If it's the former, that's not enough to prove your point because people may push themselves just to be able to communicate with you when there's no money at stake to be paid by them (for example, if you visit your mother-in-law, who can only understand pidgin English, will you come down to her level to speak pidgin English with her or you will be blowing big grammar that she cannot understand? Compare your answer to a situation where you are the owner of a secondary school,and you are interviewing a teacher who is communicating with you in pidgin English. Will you employ the teacher?)

Finally if the conversation you had was an English teaching job interview, did you get the English teaching job with your Nigerian accent? If you did, then thumbs up for you, your argument is valid.

7 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 12:06pm On Nov 25, 2020
kevwemanuel:

I'm really sorry about this. There's a few things I'd like to say....

1) Be you. The job market is huge. Have you heard the Ugandan accent before? I have a friend who has been working here for years and is Ugandan.

2) Start small. I've said this before fore. That company is nice walai and from the looks of it, a big one cos not many of them can send that mail with better English like that.

3) Grow a thick skin. You'd probably get many more mails like that and in a not so nice format

4) For now, quit trying and this goes to others trying now. Borders are not open. No school has the money to bring you in now and pay your quarantine fees too except big international schools and yes they will go for a native instead

That being said, no one has complained about my accent. If for anything, they commend it, I've always know this since I was still in Nigeria though.

If accents can be worked on, maybe you should spend more time working on it...if it's possible. You can also send me the video let me watch and give inputs.

All the best

9 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by kevwemanuel: 12:21pm On Nov 25, 2020
WhyNa:

I'm really sorry about this. There's a few things I'd like to say....

1) Be you. The job market is huge. Have you heard the Ugandan accent before? I have a friend who has been working here for years and is Ugandan.

2) Start small. I've said this before fore. That company is nice walai and from the looks of it, a big one cos not many of them can send that mail with better English like that.

3) Grow a thick skin. You'd probably get many more mails like that and in a not so nice format

4) For now, quit trying and this goes to others trying now. Borders are not open. No school has the money to bring you in now and pay your quarantine fees too except big international schools and yes they will go for a native instead

That being said, no one has complained about my accent. If for anything, they commend it, I've always know this since I was still in Nigeria though.

If accents can be worked on, maybe you should spend more time working on it...if it's possible. You can also send me the video let me watch and give inputs.

All the best

Thanks for your input and sharing your experience. Yes, it's a big organization, I suspect that that's the reason for them being very selective and picky. From what you've said, it seems the smaller organizations will be less selective of accents. At the appropriate time like you recommended, I will shoot my shots.

By the way, thanks for responding to my pm. I already sent you an email explaining this situation. Like you requested, I have sent you the video. Please go through and revert.

Thankssssss.
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 1:57pm On Nov 25, 2020
kevwemanuel:

Thanks for your input and sharing your experience. Yes, it's a big organization, I suspect that that's the reason for them being very selective and picky. From what you've said, it seems the smaller organizations will be less selective of accents. At the appropriate time like you recommended, I will shoot my shots.

By the way, thanks for responding to my pm. I already sent you an email explaining this situation. Like you requested, I have sent you the video. Please go through and revert.

Thankssssss.
You're welcome. I'll take a look at it.

Yea start small and work your way up
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Joohan: 5:48pm On Nov 25, 2020
WhyNa:

You're welcome. I'll take a look at it.

Yea start small and work your way up

It's good to hear from you again. Hope you're doing great?
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by aminusodiq(m): 11:15pm On Nov 25, 2020
Pureheart91:

It hasn't been easy oo.. i finally got my 180hours Tefl certificate... weew!

Please u3fine can u point me towards the direction of getting a genuine chinese teachn job advert, been seeing some on facebook but i am skeptical about them.

Meanwhile @ whyna is borders open now to start the visa arrangement.
pls how much did u get it and how can I go abt it shocked ... Kindly respond
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by aminusodiq(m): 11:49pm On Nov 25, 2020
endee1996:
welldone op,have been a silent reader from day 1.
started my TeFL classes already. hopefully borders open so we get jobs.

for those on this route,try to research more,join Facebook groups (some post ads, sometimes I message them),be prayerful. God would see us through.
hello... Good to read from you.. pls how did you go about the tefl class... I'll be glad of you could share a link or tell me more abt it... Kindly reply ... I await your response pls
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by aminusodiq(m): 2:09am On Nov 26, 2020
@ whyna
Pls help..texted alot of agents on Facebook and they told me I cant get a work permit while still in Nigeria!!! Pls your clarification will be highly appreciated sad sad sad

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 2:39am On Nov 26, 2020
Joohan:

It's good to hear from you again. Hope you're doing great?

Yea I'm good. Just busy busy busy and dealing with flu every now and then. Guess it comes with the weather
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by WhyNa: 2:41am On Nov 26, 2020
aminusodiq:
@ whyna
Pls help..texted alot of agents on Facebook and they told me I cant get a work permit while still in Nigeria!!! Pls your clarification will be highly appreciated sad sad sad

See these things are coded and not everyone deals with Nigerian matter

2 Likes

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by aminusodiq(m): 3:38am On Nov 26, 2020
WhyNa:

See these things are coded and not everyone deals with Nigerian matter
good morning, trust your night was good. whyna, thanks for your response, I've searched severally but they told me to keep looking for companies that can sponsor a business Visa, during further research.. I found out something strange which I don't undstnd...

Is the business Visa meant for US passport holders only?

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by aminusodiq(m): 3:39am On Nov 26, 2020
WhyNa:

Yea I'm good. Just busy busy busy and dealing with flu every now and then. Guess it comes with the weather
so sorry abt that sad
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Pureheart91(m): 11:48am On Nov 26, 2020
aminusodiq:
pls how much did u get it and how can I go abt it shocked ... Kindly respond

Google i dot i dot com tefl

Replace the dot with .
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by aminusodiq(m): 1:47pm On Nov 26, 2020
Pureheart91:

Google i dot i dot com tefl

Replace the dot with .
thank you

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by aminusodiq(m): 9:12am On Nov 28, 2020
WhyNa:
When I found a genuine agent and decided to start the process, I had just 14k in my account. Lol. I had ajo I was supposed to collect and also a kolo but all put together wouldn't even have been enough. I just told God to surprise me....and HE DID!

The very first thing I got was a police character report from Alagbon. Then I proceeded to get my medical and TEFL certificate.

With this 3 documents and my degree, I left for Abuja for authentication.

First stop was Ministry of Education and boy! a suprise was waiting for me there
I don't want to bore you with my quotes, pls I've done alot of research concerning this and I can tell you, Ive been conversing with scammers, for three months now , I'm unable to find a genuine one,
Those whose ideas seems real dosent give dsame procedure as the one I read here. pls I will appreciate if you can help me out on this cry I will love to send you a mail
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by Nobody: 7:48pm On Nov 28, 2020
WhyNa:

Hello. @Whyna I'm sorry to hear that. I wish you fast recovery. I would like to send you an E-mail urgently, kindly reply when less busy. Thanks a lot.
Re: My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam by obereagu(m): 12:11pm On Nov 29, 2020
Hello. I have been following this trend since. Pls , I want to ask , has Vietnam embassy in Nigeria started issuing business visa to Nigerians?

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (114) (Reply)

General UK Visa Enquiries / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.