Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,377 members, 7,819,370 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:01 PM

Puzzles For The Dead - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Puzzles For The Dead (3817 Views)

Corridor Of Hell: Guardians Of The Dead / The Dead Man That Stole..by Avatarmode / In Love With The Dead (by Isaac Somto: Ceo Of Wowfactor Media) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Puzzles For The Dead by pabon(m): 7:23pm On Mar 24, 2020
Don't like mentioning names but I guess you might have been angling for an update.

So...

Ann2012
BlessedNiel
Devilpen

1 Like

Re: Puzzles For The Dead by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 12:34am On Mar 25, 2020
Pabon, this is becoming interesting.

1 Like

Re: Puzzles For The Dead by pabon(m): 8:26pm On Apr 05, 2020

Tasmine spent the next three days frying her brains out, trying to decipher the markings on the first page where the crazy lettering started. For all her efforts, she got nothing. She got frustrated repeatedly and had almost given in to thoughts of shredding the book to pieces, page by page, and then burning the remains. She would have given up were it not for her desire, the unquenchable anxiety to know what her dad had been meaning to tell her he couldn’t trust others to pass the message across.
Was this the reason they murdered him?
She had woken up Tuesday, 3 am, not being able to get much sleep as her mind never gave her a moment's peace. Tasmine had lifted the duvet from off her face after several attempts to fall back to wonderland and had made for the kitchen, phone in hand, where she prepared herself a steaming cup of coffee. It was all she could do to keep her from running berserk.
She sat herself down on the kitchen table drinking away absentmindedly. A notification came into her phone signifying she’d received a Facebook message. She brought out her phone and saw the email notification icon. She clicked on it and saw that they had given her the job she was interviewed for. She didn't know whether to be happy or sad. Not that she needed the job. This was just a sacrifice to make good the promise she made to her father's spirit.
A thought came to her mind, and she followed it.
She emptied the rest of her coffee into the sink and rinsed the cup. She then made way for her late father's room. They had kept the room locked and unused on her mother’s request. This time, Curtis had left the key inside lock. After all, there wasn't anything precious that had to be kept locked away, even from family members.
Tasmine pulled down the handle as quietly as she could and got in. She got entangled in cobwebs even as her eyes adjusted to the darkness they met. She groped in the dark, running her hands along the wall feeling for the light switch.
When she found it, she immediately flicked it on. Light, like a thick blanket, immediately chased away the darkness, revealing the entire room. It was as she remembered it. The bed and dresser were in the same position. She walked towards the bookshelf where her dad had often brought out books to soothe her desires to learn stories.
She found her favorite storybook, the one with a shark for a hero. She opened the first page and wept into it.
Re: Puzzles For The Dead by pabon(m): 9:36am On Apr 08, 2020
I'd have to rewrite the other parts of this story because things spiralled out of control from here. Bear with me.
There's more to come.
#MadeofMore
Re: Puzzles For The Dead by pabon(m): 9:37am On Apr 08, 2020
OluwabuqqyYOLO:
Pabon, this is becoming interesting.
Thanks
Re: Puzzles For The Dead by pabon(m): 6:06pm On Apr 12, 2020

There was so much information from just the few pages she had translated. It turned out that each combination of words and letters had meant to replace a particular letter in the alphabet. She wondered how her dad had come up with such a brilliant idea. But, the words she read weren't pleasant to her eyes.
She could sense the fear from the pages. Her dad had been afraid that something was wrong and was coming to take him. He talked about the Volvex triangle. She wondered what it must have been.
“Volvex isn't what I first thought it was. My soul grieves for the thing I once saw as my salvation has become my impending doom. Darkness lines the sacred edges and its clippers wait, to cleave my wings should I try to fly. I can't stop and I can't get out. I'm too far gone.”
Tasmine wondered who she could ask for more clarification. She hadn't exactly been open to Mr. Dumebi and so she wasn't expecting help from that direction. Mr. Harold? This would be tough.
She had also found a necklace which had a locket shaped like a star, in the trinket. It looked familiar. She must have seen it before. She took it and decided she would be on the lookout for anyone who had a similar necklace.
Monday came, and it was her first day of work in this new place. She had gone to the boutique and had bought some lovely clothes with the wardrobe allowance they had given her. She hadn't brought in most of her clothes from the States, having no thoughts she would need them.
Tasmine arrived work early. A skinny looking lady greeted her, the full lips she kept pouting highlighted with a tinge of pink. She did her hair in a fashion that made her features sharp. She had a smile on. It was the type that being a secretary required. Tasmine couldn't tell if the smile was genuine or something that she had to put on every time a customer came up.
“Good morning miss…” Tasmine greeted, stalling because she didn’t know the lady’s name. She however had a smile of her own.
“Miss Venus.”
“That's a very good name.”
She noticed the flush in the lady's cheek. “I will show you to your office immediately.”
She led Tasmine up the stairs. Hers was the first office on the second floor. From up there, she could see the parking lot.
“I will be downstairs should you want anything,” Venus said as she turned to go.
“Oh. One more thing,” the lady turned to face her.
“I need to know Mr. Dumebi's office.”
“It's the last one,” Venus pointed down the same floor they stood. She wondered if it was a coincidence that they should see each other. He might have kept her here so he could watch over her every move. As general manager, he was head of her department -- sales. She would have to find a way to deal with him if he came poking his nose now and then.
She excused the secretary and got inside her office. Modestly fashioned, the office came with good leather seats cover covered with rich black upholstery for visitors and hers was a grey beauty with a moveable arm rest. She gathered her stuff and arranged them on the table. It wasn't long before she heard the phone ring. It was the secretary notifying her of the briefing with Mr. Dumebi. They were to gather at the mustering point.
Tasmine quickly tidied herself before heading down the stairs. She needed to look her best in front of her new colleagues. She made her way to the mustering point where she saw the workers gathering. She joined them in waiting feeling a little nervous. In a few minutes, Mr. Dumebi came in with Curtis following behind him.
Re: Puzzles For The Dead by Ann2012(f): 12:09pm On Apr 13, 2020
Thanks for the update Boss

I'm always looking forward to it

1 Like

Re: Puzzles For The Dead by pabon(m): 9:46am On Apr 14, 2020
Ann2012:
Thanks for the update Boss

I'm always looking forward to it
You're welcome, Ann. Hope you're doing well?

1 Like

Re: Puzzles For The Dead by Ann2012(f): 9:53pm On Apr 14, 2020
pabon:

You're welcome, Ann. Hope you're doing well?

Ooin, I'm doing well

Stay safe ooo
Re: Puzzles For The Dead by pabon(m): 5:12pm On Apr 26, 2020
I've not updated this thread for some time now. I'll try to drop one or two updates this week.
Re: Puzzles For The Dead by pabon(m): 10:10pm On Apr 26, 2020

The morning address saw Mr. Dumebi introduce her as the new manager of the sales department. The workers gave her a resounding applause to which she gave a hearty smile and a wave in response. Mr. Dumebi also introduced Curtis as a friend to their late employee. He also made it clear to everyone that he was sibling to their new manager.
The unexpected action forced Tasmine to smile. Deep down, she boiled with rage. The address ended with Mr. Dumebi informing them that a review was in the works and that those who weren’t performing up to expectation had a short time to buckle up.
Tasmine found it difficult piecing herself together. Mr. Dumebi hadn’t mentioned what Curtis was there to do. She hoped it was just a casual visitation.
Why would he even allow a non-employee to be present at a briefing?
She wondered if that was the way they did business in Nigeria, having not worked here before.
Tasmine was a shadow of herself as one after another employee came to submit task reports. She didn’t want to appear a sadistic manager but she couldn’t just help carrying a gloomy expression.
The lunch break did well to calm her nerves. She did what she was supposed to have done earlier in the morning, summoning all the workers in her department for a brief introduction. She apologized that she wasn’t feeling too well in the morning and they all seemed to accept her. At least they pretended to.
One name seemed to strike her though. It was like she had heard it mentioned before.
Enechie Desmond.
It was a name she came across not too long ago. She decided she would go through his file critically. She told them she was ready to work with them and that they should give her the same reception they gave her father.
Tasmine noticed Desmond squirm but her expression was noncommittal. He was behind the other and thought she hadn’t seen him. He was wrong. From her peripheral vision, she watched his every reaction.
Maybe she had used the wrong words.
Did they actually work well with her father?
She dismissed them hurriedly and went back to her office. In the security of her office, Tasmine went through the file cabinet and filtered out Desmond’s. She went through his profile. He was good and had graduated from one of the best universities in the country with top grades. He was also good with his work. He had been working with the company for four years and had been promoted once. Tasmine still couldn’t understand why his name had stood out in the introduction but she knew it had to mean something. She kept the file aside as a call came through from Mrs. Dorcas. She wanted Tasmine in her office.
Tasmine found her way to the office and met the ever cheerful lady. Mrs. Dorcas offered Tasmine a seat which she took with courtesy. Mrs. Dorcas asked her how her first day had been and Tasmine told her it had been good.
“Your father was until his death an asset to our company. Many of the existing deals we have were the result of his effort.”
Tasmine let out a weak smile. She had no doubt about her father’s capabilities when it came to making people do what he wished. She wondered though why he hadn’t been able to charm his way out of the problems that faced him.
Well, not every problem comes with the chance to impress.
She contemplated asking Mrs. Dorcas if her dad had had issues with any member of staff but she couldn’t say Mrs. Dorcas was as trustworthy as she seemed. People could pretend, especially ladies. She would have to give it time.
Mrs. Dorcas filled her in on the requirements of the job; the people she had to check up on, the deals that they were expecting, contracts to be fought for and all. She was overwhelmed when she got back from work but it wasn’t anything she wasn’t used to. She met her mother frying dodo when she returned.
“Good afternoon, mummy.”
“Good afternoon, Tassy. How was your first day at work?”
“Well, it wasn’t all that bad! It was as I expected.”
Her mum gave her a worried look, but she quickly brushed it off. She took a slice from the saucer containing the already fried plantain and tossed it in her mouth.
“Remember your manners, Tas,” her mom scolded. “Your hands may be filled with germs.”
“Alright mum. I’m going upstairs now to refresh myself. I’m coming right back down.”
She turned to pick her bag that she had slid to the floor at the doorway. She had begun taking the stairs when she remembered Curtis.
“Is Curtis in, mom?”
Her mother didn’t reply immediately. She turned back and slowly came down the stairs. She got back to the kitchen.
“Where’s Curtis mom?”
The look on Mrs. Taribo’s face was that of sadness. “He’s moved out with Cherry to his own apartment!”
Tasmine didn’t know what to say. She just stared at her mom. When she gained herself, she moved to her mom’s side slowly. “Did he say why?”
“Yes, he said Cherry wasn’t comfortable staying here with us.”
Tasmine heaved her hand into the air in silent protest.
Cherry? Her best friend not comfortable with her presence?
This, definitely, wasn’t the Cherry she’d known and taken as a best friend.
Re: Puzzles For The Dead by pabon(m): 1:01pm On Oct 30, 2020
So I never got around to finishing this story. Wonderful!
I'm finishing you at all cost. You just wait until all my projects are completed. I want to know who it was that killed her father.
Re: Puzzles For The Dead by Benteazaa(m): 10:14pm On Oct 30, 2020
Am here Las Las. Bros cuntinu
Re: Puzzles For The Dead by pabon(m): 2:29pm On Oct 31, 2020
Benteazaa:
Am here Las Las. Bros cuntinu
Alright. I'll do another update soon.
Re: Puzzles For The Dead by pabon(m): 6:51pm On Aug 02, 2021

She set down her bag as she took her seat in the cab. Beads of sweat rolled down her face, evidence of the brutality of the early morning sun.

Tasmine wished Curtis hadn't taken the car with him. He could have rented a truck for crying out loud. How did he expect them, her mum, to go about now? She cringed and winged her nose as they passed an area with an open gutter. She would have asked the driver to wind up the glass but for the unbearable heat.

When will things change in this country?

A message came by way of notification. From the sound, she could tell it was a Facebook notification. She quickly drew her pattern on the screen and unlocked her phone. It was from one of her friends from the US asking how she was doing that morning. She quickly replied. "I'm fine."

She didn't quite believe it herself. Her few weeks in Nigeria hadn't exactly been the definition of fine, but she couldn't say so to Scarlet. The rumor monger was renowned for her loose tongue. It would only take Tasmine minutes to get people flocking her inbox, wanting to know what was wrong.
Quickly, she exited the messenger to check her timeline. She screwed down and saw a picture of Cherry taken with her brother in an amusement park. She didn't know whether to be angry or sad.

Cherry may or may not be the reason her brother was acting strange. For all she knew, this could be the new him. She would just have to learn to move on.

She got to the office just in time before the early morning briefing. She could barely make out what Mr. Dumebi was saying, and truthfully, she cared less as it was mostly the usual 'be up and doing', 'be vigilant' stuffs. She didn't really have ears for much of his mindless pontifications. She had hardly slept through the night as she perused through her father's journal.

She had read the mention of her dad's bandana going missing. He had said it was the symbol of their unity in a certain meeting. She wasn’t exactly sure what it was and she had spent the better part of the night thinking about it. Tasmine searched the trunk if she could find anything like it but couldn't. She found something else; a piece of cloth with some Latin inscription. After much brain cracking, she translated it. It had meant 'We all die someday.' She still wondered what it meant to her dad.

Tasmine didn't hear Mr. Dumebi call her name. The second time he did, she was shocked to see that everyone was leaving and she'd been standing, asleep.

"Are you okay, Tasmine?"

She was embarrassed beyond words and managed to mutter "I am fine."

"You don't look it, the least. Let's go to my office."

He took her in his hands like she was a three-year old and led her. She watched as some workers were eyeing them as they passed but she didn't give it much care. What she had her mind focused on was what she'd tell Mr. Dumebi was happening to her.

When they got to his office, he sat her down on the visitor's chair opposite his before taking his seat. Tasmine took time to drink in the office. She hadn't had much time to see the office in its true beauty as the few times she'd been here, she'd just come to submit one document or the other and just left. This time she allowed her eyes to admire the wooden carvings hung on the wall, the picture of the Duke of Edinburgh, the picture of him with her father. Her eyes lingered on the last one.

"Your dad would be really upset if he saw you like this were he alive."

She brought her eye to stare at her shoes. They were dusty from the morning scuffle and she hadn't remembered to clean them.

"What's wrong Tas,” he enquired.

He had no right to call her that. That name was for those she had love for, those who we family or felt like it. Not one who'd been accessory to her father's murder. For all she knew, he could have done it himself.

She could see the anger was reflecting on her face as Mr. Dumebi's gaze stayed on her face. She took a deep breath and reassumed her bashful expression.

"I'm not sure what's happening," she said, handling with a strand of her hair which was hanging down her shoulders. "Curtis left the house and has refused to pick my calls ever since. I don't know what's wrong."

She had suddenly realized she could get information about her brother's whereabouts from Mr. Dumebi. He had been the last person she'd seen him with.

"I'm sorry about that." He pulled back in his seat. "Your brother has been having some...trying times at his workplace. You know, getting money for the wedding, taking care of his pregnant fiancée, all that."

Tasmine looked blown away at once. "Cherry is having a baby? Why won't he, they, let us know? What's happening?"

She had gotten up from her seat and was shouting. Mr. Dumebi came to her side immediately to calm her down.

"Please, take it easy." He gently settled her back to her seat and sat on the table, facing her.

"I think your brother needs some time to think and sort things out."

"But mum is worried. He should at least let her know that things are okay with him."

"I'll let him know..." Mr. Dumebi said, getting up and moving to his own seat. “You know what? I'll give you the address to the bar he usually goes to drink in the evenings. Maybe you could sort things out with him."

"Oh, thank you so much," Tasmine said.
"It's at Freeborn Bar at Immaculate Road. He's usually there from seven."

Just then a call came in and required Mr. Dumebi to meet with the Managing director. He excused himself and promised to get back in few minutes.

This is my chance Tasmine thought to herself.

Re: Puzzles For The Dead by pabon(m): 7:05pm On Aug 02, 2021

She took a sip from her drink, a non-alcoholic beverage, and looked at the watch on her hand for the umpteenth time.

Why hasn't Curtis showed up yet?

She kept pressing her phone, going through status updates of all her friends on Facebook and WhatsApp
Still, her anxiety didn't fizzle out. It was getting late and she'd promised her mum to be back before 8 pm. The time now was 7:28 pm and Curtis had not arrived. She wished she hadn't believed Mr Dumebi. This, obviously, was time wasted, the time she would have used decoding more of her dad's writings.

She watched as a couple in a nearby table leaned towards each other for a kiss. They looked like they just got married and the love still giving them the high spirited vibes.

Tasmine wondered how it must feel to get married. She had really been in any relationship too serious. It was partly her fault, though. She could hardly bring herself to trust people. It always felt like there was something underneath everyone's skin, at least, everyone who wanted to go out with her. It was perhaps due to the very first relationship she had gotten herself into when she was still young, in school, and naïve. She pushed the thought out of her mind to the dark bottom part of her heart where she had kept it locked, for years. She could find the idiot and kill him if she focused too much on it.

She checked again. Four minutes were gone. It was all she could take.

Tasmine beckoned on the waiter and paid for her drink. She stood to go, rearranging her dress. She could barely contain her anger. With one angry swipe, she took her handbag from the table and headed out.

Tasmine wondered how long she'd have to stay by the roadside before getting a cab. There was this curfew in town and commercial vehicles were supposed to be off the road by 7 pm. Still, she suspected-- knew even-- that many would break the law. This was Nigeria after all.

The roadside was dark as the streetlights were either not working or had not been installed, yet. Just this morning, she had heard a newscaster say the governor just commissioned new streetlights at Immaculate Road. She wondered if it was this Immaculate or another street with the same name.

The night was getting colder. Still, she hadn't seen any cab. She was getting worried. She'd answered her mum's call three times already, telling the older woman she was on her way back.

Tasmine wrapped her arms around herself, looking sideways, anticipating a cab. Each time a car passed, they zoomed past the way a commercial driver won't.

"Hello, Tas."
She must have stood frozen for close to five seconds before she turned around. She could make out a fair face with neatly carved beards but she couldn't make out who it was.

"It's Henry. I saw you leaving some minutes ago. I'm surprised you're still here"

She didn't know what to answer. She could feel his eyes on sloping down from her face towards her cleavage. She hoped he couldn't sense her unease.

Henry wasn't the most handsome of guys, but even with his mouth oozing of alcohol, he still managed to exude a charm few men possessed.

"I can walk you down if you don't mind. This isn't the best place to get a cab. The junction is better."

She heaved her bag unto h right shoulder. "Alright then."

They walked leisurely down the road. The whole time, Henry kept talking about her dad and how he had influenced him in many positive ways. She wondered if he said all those things so she would like him. He sounded convincing though. He told her how her late father had saved him from being sacked once when he had mistakenly omitted two important documents when they were bidding for a state contract. Her father, he said, had come to his rescue by twisting the conversation until they had a break. He said he felt indebted to him.

They reached the end of the junction in ten minutes. Truthfully, she got a cab less than five minutes standing there. He bade her farewell and watched as the car took off. Tasmine allowed her head to rest on the seat. She cursed at the air for making her waste her evening for nothing. She was in that mood when she got to the house.
The first person she saw was her mother facing upwards and looking staring at the ceiling. Something definitely wasn't right. Next to her was Curtis who didn't even look up as she entered.

"What's happening, mum?"

Her mum looked at her and dragged her feet the slowest she'd seen someone do so.

"Cherry... She's gone!"

Re: Puzzles For The Dead by LamboWeezy(m): 1:08am On Sep 18, 2021
Pabon I needed your WhatsApp number
Re: Puzzles For The Dead by pabon(m): 7:43am On Sep 18, 2021
LamboWeezy:
Pabon I needed your WhatsApp number

Please, drop your telegram handle. We can chat there.
Re: Puzzles For The Dead by Galacious1: 9:10am On Sep 22, 2021
pabon:

Please, drop your telegram handle. We can chat there.
Pabon, please how can I contact you?
Re: Puzzles For The Dead by pabon(m): 9:25am On Sep 22, 2021
Galacious1:
@prolificwriter is my telegram handle. So, do the T dot me slash prolificwriter.
Re: Puzzles For The Dead by pabon(m): 11:02am On Oct 01, 2021
Galacious1:
Wanted to talk to you. Seems you've not been online.
Re: Puzzles For The Dead by pabon(m): 4:58am On Nov 04, 2021
Galacious1:

I had to go through my posts to find you. Can you, please, check your telegram?
Re: Puzzles For The Dead by Galacious1: 8:15am On Nov 04, 2021
pabon:

I had to go through my posts to find you. Can you, please, check your telegram?
ok
Re: Puzzles For The Dead by Nobody: 8:27am On Nov 04, 2021
pabon:

It's very much in progress. Few minutes ago, I published the first book. It's available now on Okadabooks.

At the end of the book, you will get more information about book two. Thanks for checking up on me.

I've been trying to get my books on Okadabooks but they never go. I don't know if its the EPUB format or what. But I know they are well edited embarassed Just don't know what's wrong lipsrsealed

BTW, your book's amazing. I love it, sir wink
Re: Puzzles For The Dead by pabon(m): 2:13pm On Nov 04, 2021
Jaylynn:

I've been trying to get my books on Okadabooks but they never go. I don't know if its the EPUB format or what. But I know they are well edited embarassed Just don't know what's wrong lipsrsealed

BTW, your book's amazing. I love it, sir wink

Alright. Contact me on Telegram. I'll assist you when I have the time.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mara The Lesbian - Episode 2 (18+) / Young Readers Club For Leaders,abuja.be A Member! / The Taskmasters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.