Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,670 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:53 PM

US Murderer Is Executed By Electric Chair For Killing A Rapist Inmate - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / US Murderer Is Executed By Electric Chair For Killing A Rapist Inmate (1733 Views)

Man Who Raped And Buried Girl Alive Is Executed By Lethal Injection In The US / Nurse Struggling With A Rapist Injured In Kano (Disturbing Photos) / Murderer Will Eat Last Supper Before Execution By Electric Chair In U.S.(Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Murderer Is Executed By Electric Chair For Killing A Rapist Inmate by liltee123(m): 8:45am On Feb 21, 2020
A convicted murderer was put to death in Tennessee's electric chair Thursday, becoming the fifth prisoner over 16 months to choose electrocution over the state's preferred method of lethal injection.

Sutton was served his last meal about three hours before his execution on Thursday evening. He ordered fried pork chops, mashed potatoes with gravy and peach pie with vanilla ice cream, the Tennessee Department of Correction said. Death row inmates typically have a $20 limit for their last meal.

Nicholas Sutton, 58, was pronounced dead at 7:26 p.m. at the Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville, the Tennessee Department of Correction said.

Sutton who got married to his wife Reba in 1994 while in prison, gave a statement after he was strapped into the chair, thanking his wife, family, and friends for supporting him and saying Jesus Christ "fixed me."

"I'm just grateful to be a servant of God, and I'm looking forward to being in his presence," Sutton said as witnesses looked on.

''I have had the privilege of being married to the finest woman, who is a great servant to God,' he continued.

'Without her, I would not have made the progress that I have made. I hope I do a much better job in the next life than I did in this one.

Sutton was sentenced to death in 1986 for killing fellow inmate Carl Estep in a conflict over a drug deal while both were incarcerated in an East Tennessee prison, where he had been serving time for his grandmother Dorothy Sutton, his high school friends John Large and Charles Almon - in 1979, when he was 18 years old.

As prison guards were on a shift change on January 15, Sutton and Thomas Street entered Estep's cell and stabbed him 38 times in the chest and neck with two homemade knives, prosecutors said.

One of the inmates also said Estep was a marijuana dealer at the facility who had sold the men 'bad merchandise' and refused to refund their money. He testified that after the men took Estep´s watch, Estep threatened to kill Sutton.

In 1986, a Morgan County Criminal Court jury convicted Sutton of first-degree murder and sentenced him to death. Street was convicted and sentenced to life in prison. A third man who was accused of taking part in the attack was acquitted.

Estep's oldest daughter has said Sutton did her family a favor when he killed her father, who she describes as an 'evil man'.

Rosemary Hall said that her father, who was jailed for raping her stepsister when he died, set their house on fire and deliberately caused a traffic accident that killed her baby sister.

She described his death as a blessing. 'To say that was the best day of my life is an understatement,' she said in a statement that was included in Sutton´s clemency petition.

'I felt as though a 100-pound weight had been lifted off my shoulders and I thought to myself, 'There is a God!''

Sutton's supporters, including several family members of his victims and prison workers, had asked Governor Bill Lee to commute his sentence, saying Sutton had rehabilitated himself in prison and was not the same man who first entered prison 40 years ago. But Lee declined their plea and said he would not intervene in the execution.

Anti-death penalty activist Dan Mann said he and another activist had intercepted the governor on the way to work Tuesday and prayed with him. "He asked us to pray for him because it was such a difficult decision," Mann said.

Appeals to the U.S. Supreme Court were also denied on Thursday evening. The justices, in an emailed statement, gave no explanation for their decision not to step in, according to The Associated Press.

https://pressnewsng.com.ng/us-murderer-is-executed-by-electric-chair-for-killing-a-rapist-inmate/

Re: US Murderer Is Executed By Electric Chair For Killing A Rapist Inmate by Born2Breed(f): 8:52am On Feb 21, 2020
Chai see painful death.
Re: US Murderer Is Executed By Electric Chair For Killing A Rapist Inmate by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 8:59am On Feb 21, 2020
I am more concerned about the food

"fried pork chops, mashed potatoes with gravy and peach pie with vanilla ice cream"

Haay gawd! See food oooo!

Even some naija big men cannot boast of such meal not to talk of the masses

1 Like 1 Share

Re: US Murderer Is Executed By Electric Chair For Killing A Rapist Inmate by Perfecttouchade: 9:05am On Feb 21, 2020
O daa bo
Re: US Murderer Is Executed By Electric Chair For Killing A Rapist Inmate by Tonyspecial(m): 9:06am On Feb 21, 2020
Na wah
Re: US Murderer Is Executed By Electric Chair For Killing A Rapist Inmate by sweetnonsense(m): 9:11am On Feb 21, 2020
Be intentional about your business this year. Give your business a strong online presence with our eye catching 3D logos for just #2k only (pay after delivery)
Chat me up via my signature to place your order.
Re: US Murderer Is Executed By Electric Chair For Killing A Rapist Inmate by Nobody: 9:27am On Feb 21, 2020
VeeVeeMyLuv:

"fried pork chops, mashed potatoes with gravy and peach pie with vanilla ice cream"

Last meal request, he's going a journey so he needs to be belle full. smiley
Re: US Murderer Is Executed By Electric Chair For Killing A Rapist Inmate by Davash222(m): 9:27am On Feb 21, 2020
VeeVeeMyLuv:

What are you even saying
All that ain’t more than $20, which is approximately 8000Naira. A barbecue fish here is 10,000Naira, an average Nigerian eat this on a regular basis.
Don’t allow poverty to disgrace you on a public forum.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Murderer Is Executed By Electric Chair For Killing A Rapist Inmate by decatalyst(m): 9:32am On Feb 21, 2020
Wow! The man stabbed to death's first daughter said it's the best day of her life.

Wow! He must have been a very terrible human being to even his immediate family and a bigger threat to the society.
Re: US Murderer Is Executed By Electric Chair For Killing A Rapist Inmate by decatalyst(m): 9:35am On Feb 21, 2020
Davash222:

What are you even saying
All that ain’t more than $20, which is approximately 8000Naira. A barbecue fish here is 10,000Naira, an average Nigerian eat this on a regular basis.

If 10,000 of barbecue fish is what an "average Nigerian" eat on a regular basis, then I have lots touch with the real meaning of the word "average"!

On this forum, people just quote figures and make frivolous statements that are bereft of facts and logic!

4 Likes

Re: US Murderer Is Executed By Electric Chair For Killing A Rapist Inmate by ValCon888: 11:39am On Feb 21, 2020
D
Re: US Murderer Is Executed By Electric Chair For Killing A Rapist Inmate by scoundrel(f): 5:13pm On Feb 21, 2020
That was a healthy looking individual. It’s funny how being in prison physically brings the best out of men.
Re: US Murderer Is Executed By Electric Chair For Killing A Rapist Inmate by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 6:05pm On Feb 21, 2020
decatalyst:
Wow! The stabbed to death, Estep's first daughter said it's the best day of her life.

Wow! He must have been a very terrible human being to call a father!
My brada, these are the kind of people our law enforcement agencies in naija are bromancing and mingling with instead of them to lock them in a dungeon.

1 Like

Re: US Murderer Is Executed By Electric Chair For Killing A Rapist Inmate by TheChameleon: 7:03pm On Feb 21, 2020
decatalyst:

If 10,000 of barbecue fish is what an "average Nigerian" eat on a regular basis, then I have lots touch with the real meaning of the word "average"!

On this forum, people just quote figures and make frivolous statements that are bereft of facts and logic!

Instead of you two arguing, let's call for a quote grin

"From all of us at..."

3 Likes

Re: US Murderer Is Executed By Electric Chair For Killing A Rapist Inmate by Azmanaty: 7:53pm On Feb 21, 2020
Davash222:

What are you even saying

A big BBQ fish at abacha barracks asokorro is 2800 and not 10,000

2 Likes

Re: US Murderer Is Executed By Electric Chair For Killing A Rapist Inmate by Sokosuji: 8:40pm On Feb 21, 2020
Dude practically lived all his life in prison

1 Like

Re: US Murderer Is Executed By Electric Chair For Killing A Rapist Inmate by Davash222(m): 7:15am On Feb 22, 2020
Azmanaty:

A big BBQ fish at abacha barracks asokorro is 2800 and not 10,000
A medium sized BBQ fish at Mimi’s place in Owerri is 8500 not 2800.
Re: US Murderer Is Executed By Electric Chair For Killing A Rapist Inmate by Azmanaty: 7:20am On Feb 22, 2020
Davash222:

A medium sized BBQ fish at Mimi’s place in Owerri is 8500 not 2800.

Keep lying
Re: US Murderer Is Executed By Electric Chair For Killing A Rapist Inmate by Davash222(m): 7:20am On Feb 22, 2020
Azmanaty:

Keep lying
You can confirm, I’m not lying.
Re: US Murderer Is Executed By Electric Chair For Killing A Rapist Inmate by Ogilinsaka: 7:41am On Feb 22, 2020
"I'm just grateful to be a servant of God, and I'm looking forward to being in his presence," Sutton said as witnesses looked on.

If he had found Christ before now, he won't have been on that chair.

Find Jesus today!

1 Like

Re: US Murderer Is Executed By Electric Chair For Killing A Rapist Inmate by backnbeta(f): 8:19am On Feb 22, 2020
TheChameleon:

Instead of you two arguing, let's call for a quote grin

"From all of us at..."
You mean you want to hear from the fishhorse's mouth cheesy
Re: US Murderer Is Executed By Electric Chair For Killing A Rapist Inmate by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:28am On Feb 22, 2020
Reading.......
Re: US Murderer Is Executed By Electric Chair For Killing A Rapist Inmate by Omenkanuzu: 10:17am On Feb 22, 2020
[s]
post=86856335:
Reading.......
[/s]

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady Pregnant After Gang-raped, Loses The Child She Delivered. PHOTOS / What I Witnessed In Court That Warmed My Heart But Left Me Hopping Mad / What To Do To A Lying Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.