Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,834,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

A Bold New Era, Rock Music In Nigeria!!! Meet Modim - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / A Bold New Era, Rock Music In Nigeria!!! Meet Modim (328 Views)

Jay Boogie Makes A Bold Return With A Transformed Physique (Video) / Bold Pink: "Tiwa Savage, You Left Your Husband For A Small Boy Wizkid" / Linda Ikeji And Afeez Agoro, Tallest Man In Nigeria Meet (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Bold New Era, Rock Music In Nigeria!!! Meet Modim by liano234(m): 6:08pm On Feb 21, 2020
Modim
Who are you? How would you introduce yourself..

(My name is Modim, spelt mxdim to avoid mixups) I really like music, in a diverse way, and I also appreciate the contributions of my culture to the world. So I’m mashing up both, to give it to to the world altogether lol.

How would you describe the type of music you create, and the ultimate goal you’re hoping to achieve with this new thing?

First of all, shout out to everyone that’s been doing this before us, and the ones who’s influences has been evident on me, artistically and expressively, the Kutis, Kele Okereke, Tunde Adebimpe, Tosin Abasi, Nneka, Cill Soul, Clayrock, and so much more.. these people paved so much for me.

The main objective of this is create, carve out a new thing in the Naija music industry... or more importantly, to add to what is already the super lit Nigerian music that is blooming to the world.

There isn’t one way to define it, but it’s definitely a broad thing, and part of that and not limited to, is this sound too!

So long story short, I’m just an artist, that’s gonna be a part of this new genre in Nigerian music.. the goal is to spread the awareness, to this undefined genre, which to us, must be heavily founded with a sense of OUR culture, be it Yoruba, Igbo, Edo, Hausa etc.. this our beautiful tradition must play a huge role in crafting this art, AND with a touch of what makes us different... elements of Rock, Hip hop, and what have you..

Some have termed this as AfroRock. And I can see why they’d jump to that, from their perspective.. but personally, I like to pay homage to who I am, and where I’m from.. I see this thing as an Alternative or a Revival of Yoruba Folk music. Alternative Yoruba Folk, has a good sound.. but it is all under the Umbrella of AfroRock lol.

And growing up in the diaspora, I was lucky enough to be part of some local music scenes.. part of which was the Afropunk in the late 2000s to the early 2010s. To have found such identity and many other Black people like me, was a thing of Pride. But the best part, was finding and connecting with other NaijaPunk like me.. highly diversed artists like Nollege Wizdumb, Peju, Banita, Laoulu the painter guy lol, and so much more to name drop. But for me, it wouldn’t be complete if we cannot bring our talents back home to create a hub for it. The dream.

But expect more of this.. it’s more than me, I grew up with a lot of Yoruba people with similar music interests as I, and most of us are in league not to redefine, but to add to the definition of Nigerian music.

For me, just rock.. but I want the genre to be open and inviting for creatives to be able to express.

(1) (Reply)

Coronavirus Pandemic Humbled Me - Tiwa Savage / I Pranked My Kids With Poo / Ghanaian Actress, Yaa Jackson, Repents; Gives Her Life To Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.