Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,257 members, 7,826,011 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? (60712 Views)

COVID-19: Lagos Spends Between N100,000 & N1M Daily On A Patient – Akin Abayomi / A Patient Tests Positive For COVID-19 In Cross-River - UCTH / Nurse Seen Taking Lollipop In An Emergency Room While Attending To A Patient (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by mu2sa2: 9:48am On Feb 23, 2020
BRATISLAVA:

How do they "forget" these things inside a person? It seems it's deliberate so that they will have a repeat patient to take it out. Perhaps money is the motivation.
Very likely. And it happens even more in technologically advanced countries than in our own part of the world. Gosh, money is valued more than human life!
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by helpee(m): 9:52am On Feb 23, 2020
Manaria15:
When you have only one doctor doing everything, when I had surgery, at General hospital, the doctors were about 3, excluding the anesthetist, what one could not see his colleagues will see it, it was a team work, and I didn't have any further complications to the Glory of God. From the day I decided to have the surgery I refused private hospital, even though it took me months to be booked, it was worth the wait.
Thank God nothing went wrong. It is way more complex than that. That you didn't have complications had nothing to do with general hospital. Complications happen everywhere and even with several surgeons things can happen

1 Like

Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by Olumighty123(m): 9:55am On Feb 23, 2020
xreal:

To remove kidney?

Yes to remove the kidney, the laser fiber infected the kidney so bad it stop functioning, I'm sure you know human can survive with just one kidney?
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by Chartey(m): 9:56am On Feb 23, 2020
[quote author=Manaria15 post=86882422][/quote]
It's actually the job of the scrub nurse to make sure the materials are complete and are accounted for after the surgery.

1 Like

Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by EgunMogaji2: 9:57am On Feb 23, 2020
Olumighty123:

A very unusual mistakes, how on earth do people forget stuffs inside a human during surgery ?

It’s not unusual actual.

Where I work they actually have a dedicated count nurse whose function is to validated that every thing that went into the theatre came back out. Many malpractice suits have taken place.

2 Likes

Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by Angelacruz: 9:58am On Feb 23, 2020
Okk
yemifez:

You think any doctor in his sane mind would do that? You don't really know the medicolegal implications of that, do you?. And in this case it is not only the surgeon that is at fault but also the scrub nurse whose duty is to count the gauze and ensure that he/ has the same total at the beginning and end of operations. These things happen when there are many emergency cases .I repeat no surgeon will do that deliberately
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by helpee(m): 10:00am On Feb 23, 2020
Olumighty123:

A very unusual mistakes, how on earth do people forget stuffs inside a human during surgery ?
Happens all over the world. It is now very rare but still happens especially in emergencies and very difficult surgeries
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by Chartey(m): 10:00am On Feb 23, 2020
olasaad:

Ok but to be on a safer side can a patient still request for another scan a day or two after CS just to be safe. I'm afraid because I'm a lady, and I believe most of the victims were women
Counting during surgery is more reliable than any scan you'll do after surgery.

1 Like

Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by Chartey(m): 10:08am On Feb 23, 2020
may320:

Think it's normal to go for post surgery scan. It's always recommended to check if there's no anomaly and to be sure everything is ok. Not talking about Nigeria, don't know if they do that.

It's in very few cases this is required and for very specific reasons.
Always looking for an opportunity to bash Nigeria.
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by Finchmgh: 10:10am On Feb 23, 2020
Olumighty123:
I am not a surgeon but I have a friend who is, he was operating on a patient to remove his kidney then he found a laser fiber, a bad surgeon had left it inside during the patient previous surgery.

Stop this kind of heartless plagiarism.
This question was asked on Quora.

https://www.quora.com/As-a-surgeon-what-is-the-most-dangerous-thing-you-have-found-inside-a-patient

You even went as far as claiming to be a friend to the surgeon that answered the question ... please plagiarize with sense

10 Likes 6 Shares

Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by Kingzd: 10:10am On Feb 23, 2020
doctore212:
Condom and a tube of KY jelly.

She was an 18yr old from Unical. I published the case in British journal.
Seriously, how do stuff like this get into the body?

1 Like

Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by packmoney(m): 10:13am On Feb 23, 2020
A very huge gauze
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by TotoNaRubber: 10:13am On Feb 23, 2020

I was operating on a girls pussay, I pulled out the CD and there was blood,shocking guys !!
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by harsysky(m): 10:16am On Feb 23, 2020
G
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by happydavies(f): 10:18am On Feb 23, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

It’s not unusual actual.

Where I work they actually have a dedicated count nurse whose function is to validated that every thing that went into the theatre came back out. Many malpractice suits have taken place.
it's called a scrub nurse not count nurse
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by may320: 10:20am On Feb 23, 2020
Chartey:
It's in very few cases this is required and for very specific reasons.
Always looking for an opportunity to bash Nigeria.
Dear, I'm a true child of the land.
Not bashing Nigeria in anyway and my post is not intended to. Just stating the obvious since I'm not aware of how it's done by our hospitals here.
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by Catsofnaija: 10:20am On Feb 23, 2020
All of that have revealed confidential information, we will track you and sue you
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by COUSIN1279(m): 10:21am On Feb 23, 2020
Buhari has cow dung inside his head as brain.
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by Waspy(m): 10:24am On Feb 23, 2020
proclinician:
In one of my shifts as a resident a woman once gave birth through CS and after discharge and she was supposed to be healing, her abdominal cavity was swelling up and painful and the area in the abdomen that was stitched was bleeding and pus was coming out. She was rushed in when her hubby felt something was not right and a CT scan was ordered. There in the abdominal cavity were some unusual foreign bodies which in a normal human viscera shouldn't be there. She was put into the theatre for an operation and immediately she was opened up there in the abdominal cavity were two gauze sponges used to soak up the bleeding but retained after the CS with massive antibody-antigen reaction taking place there. It was horrible but thank God she lived she was lucky enough sepsis did not occur
This is quite common. At least I've seen exactly the same issh. The reparation surgery occured in SDA hosp. Ife
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by Nobody: 10:25am On Feb 23, 2020
proclinician:
In one of my shifts as a resident a woman once gave birth through CS and after discharge and she was supposed to be healing, her abdominal cavity was swelling up and painful and the area in the abdomen that was stitched was bleeding and pus was coming out. She was rushed in when her hubby felt something was not right and a CT scan was ordered. There in the abdominal cavity were some unusual foreign bodies which in a normal human viscera shouldn't be there. She was put into the theatre for an operation and immediately she was opened up there in the abdominal cavity were two gauze sponges used to soak up the bleeding but retained after the CS with massive antibody-antigen reaction taking place there. It was horrible but thank God she lived she was lucky enough sepsis did not occur

Aren't they supposed to count the number of gauze sponges used before and after a surgery? How do mistakes like this still happen?
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by Dozie32(m): 10:29am On Feb 23, 2020
freemi:
who ask u? keep quiet let doctors answer

Mumu!! Who called you?? idiot!
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by LadySwitz: 10:31am On Feb 23, 2020
Finchmgh:

Stop this kind of heartless plagiarism.
This question was asked on Quora.

https://www.quora.com/As-a-surgeon-what-is-the-most-dangerous-thing-you-have-found-inside-a-patient

You even went as far as claiming to be a friend to the surgeon that answered the question ... please plagiarize with sense

Busted!

Lmao

1 Like

Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by Vatod(m): 10:35am On Feb 23, 2020
kkulaja:

Do you believe some Doctors too are like this, and getting over it gradually.
Imagine a Dr with this kind if phobia and asked to assist a surgeon, and the surgeon leaves d job to her to perfect her hands thus time.
Abi naa!!!
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by Lamanii22(f): 10:38am On Feb 23, 2020
thundafire:
u wear gloves to remove ur pad?

I remove it with the tip of my fingers, I don't look at it. That's how shaken I get whenever I sense the sight of blood...
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by stunning4real: 10:40am On Feb 23, 2020
Dozie32:
How do we know? Are we Dr's?
didn't you read the topic before commenting?
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by eedimo(m): 10:43am On Feb 23, 2020
Watching
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by thundafire: 10:44am On Feb 23, 2020
Lamanii22:

I remove it with the tip of my fingers, I don't look at it. That's how shaken I get whenever I sense the sight of blood...
hmmm but u do wash ur panties wen it gets stained or u still use ur tips to do it
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by Exodora: 10:49am On Feb 23, 2020
proclinician:

Is this a kind of film looks almost like the "Residents" The Residents is a seasonal movie.
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by BarrElChapo(m): 10:51am On Feb 23, 2020
doctore212:
Condom and a tube of KY jelly.

She was an 18yr old from Unical. I published the case in British journal.

Doc link please.
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by adecz: 10:51am On Feb 23, 2020
aminusodiq:
craaazzzyyy laddd grin grin grin grin grin wait ooo... Is it large or small. Intestine I learnt the small one can be deadly tongue

Large, small, medium size,
every where!!

To worsen matters, we found
kpomó ( as in cowskin), inside
some of the intestines!! shocked

1 Like

Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by BarrElChapo(m): 10:53am On Feb 23, 2020
Uyi168:
Topics like this can better be appreciated on platforms like quora.. kiss

Even though this is true due to the wider coverage but we need it here too cos it would make nairaland more educated and we have enough Professionals here too
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by Dextre(m): 10:55am On Feb 23, 2020
adecz:
grin grin grin grin

We once opened a patient &
found intestines inside his abdominal
cavity!! Intestines fa!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

I'm confused,what are you supposed to find in his abdominal cavity then? Is your intestine in your chest cavity?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

What Is This New Sickness In Town That Causes Severe Itching / Doctor Slept With Multiple Women In GP Consulting Room During Work Hours / Doctor Disappears After Going Outside For Fresh Air (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.