Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,196 members, 7,815,170 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:29 AM

What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today (69581 Views)

10 Lessons I Learnt In My 10 Years Of Marriage / Lessons Learnt From The NYC Man Shot Dead By His Neighbour / A Divorced Single Mother's Dairy - A Bitter Lesson Shared To Save Marriages! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by Nobody: 11:08pm On Feb 26, 2020
CHoccolaTE:

Plus your father too.
Rubbish to you too
Why you dey vex na you said all men are selfish so ah I stated the fact. Truth is that all human beings are selfish, egotistic, greedy beasts who only want nothing but to control all animals including our fellow man.
Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by Uyi168: 11:08pm On Feb 26, 2020
99%.. embarassed

11 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by Nobody: 11:12pm On Feb 26, 2020
Tunex252:
The woman is a good woman and probably from the 19s, women from those years are submitted to their husband, support them financially even when d man is broke to d extreme and respect dem but u see women of nowadays if 200 of nowadays women are looking for husband, I can sure that only 10 is capable and ready for marriage.. nowadays women are really spoilt
The woman may just be intimidated abeg. You don't know what goes on behind closed doors, as for me I believe a woman should stand her ground. Though I don't believe in marriage I believe it's almost like a business partnership where you both own a company. You work together as equals to make it work (which is impossible for humans since there is no main gain) at the end it may just become a toxic relationship that poisons the couples and in ultimate cases the children or it ends as a divorce.

3 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 11:15pm On Feb 26, 2020
Nn3muka:
una mumu don suppose do naa undecided

Marriage is between two adults and someone says the success of marriage depends on the woman how?

As in. The write up just weak me.

10 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by pocohantas(f): 11:16pm On Feb 26, 2020
Sterope:
We are damn lucky! grin

Very lucky. Rare picture of a Nigerian woman after loading 99% of the work on herself. You see those guys on top- na the brother in-laws wey no dey ever go their own house.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 11:16pm On Feb 26, 2020
pocohantas:

99% on the woman, 1% on the HEAD OF THE HOUSE. Impressive... grin

grin

2 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by riches4me(m): 11:16pm On Feb 26, 2020
bros u said too much now. The blble said in Ephesians 5:22-24 "Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord|. Dats all

1 Like

Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by Ttorp(m): 11:20pm On Feb 26, 2020
Happy marriage is very attainable only if you can follow these
Love and fear God and
Love yourself
However, you can’t give what you don’t have. Once you love yourself, to love and trust others will be so easy for you.
Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by maeola(f): 11:23pm On Feb 26, 2020
pocohantas:

Very lucky. Rare picture of a Nigerian woman after loading 99% of the work on herself. You see those guys on top- na the brother in-laws wey no dey ever go their own house.

This isn't supposed to be funny but...
Laugh want kill me!!��

7 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by Toluwashe778: 11:26pm On Feb 26, 2020
hummmmmmmm
nice one
it is glaring that the woman has most of the work
no doubt
but the work can be made easier by an understanding and a selfless man
no matter how angelic a woman can be, the type of spouse she keeps is very important
pls men, be the man u are suppose to be .
when u are irresponsible, u affect the soul of ur wife
hearts are made of flesh
pls be that kind of man that deserve to be treated well
make it a point of duty to treat her well first
love her as Christ love the church
u are the head, play ur role
u can't be a cheater or a squanderer and expect her to keep trusting u with family finances
u have disappointed her several time yet she keep forgiving u , hummmmm everything has limit
the work is for the two parties
I no everybody wants a lasting marriage . God will help us all

13 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by freshvine(f): 11:27pm On Feb 26, 2020
one day I was in the village sitting with my grandfather when my grandmother walked past. He called her her and told her to kill this chicken for him ( pointing at my grandmother chicken picking food on the ground), my grandmother shouted calling him by name, " Ahaonu, eree eree, what happened to your various chickens roaming about?

Few hour later, my grandmother killed the particular chicken and made a whole chicken pepper soup for him, my grandfather shared it, took some part and returned the other to her.

Later I asked my grandmother why she had to do that and she told me he is her husband. Whatever makes him happy comes first.

My grandfather died at over 100 years and the wife followed after 10 years clocking 96 and they were buried close to each other.

5 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by AreaFada2: 11:29pm On Feb 26, 2020
Audio wives, audio husbands everywhere.

That couple celebrating 40 years will soon be dinosaur marriage type. Extinct.

Whenever Humans become too smug and feel too clever, nature deals with us.

Make people continue with oversabi in marriage and everything else. We don kukuma destroy the earth enough. The earth won't even miss us.

2 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by Nobody: 11:31pm On Feb 26, 2020
abbey621:

So what then does women call good in a man? Being responsible? A good provider? Remembering anniversaries, valentine & birthdays? Forsaking other women? Putting her above his own family? A man being all these things is it a benefit to only himself or for the woman as well? What if a man just wants to be average, live modest life? Would most women be okay with that?

Most times married ladies praise men for doing the "norm" ,for simply fulfilling their gender roles.
Most times married men praise women for enduring bullshit and turning herself into a slave and not for fufilling her gender roles.

Can you see the difference?

Women will give testimonies of how their husband has not cheated . while men will give testimony of how he gives his wife #200 to cook soup and she hands him over pounded yam and soup with five chunks of meat. Or he gives testimony of how despite his cheating,she stayed with him.

How are the scenarios the same?

10 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by abbey621(m): 11:36pm On Feb 26, 2020
Michellekabod2:

Most times married ladies praise men for doing the "norm" ,for simply fulfilling their gender roles.
Most times married men praise women for enduring bullshit and turning herself into a slave and not for fufilling her gender roles.

Can you see the difference?

Women will give testimonies of how their husband has not cheated . while men will give testimony of how he gives his wife #200 to cook soup and she hands him over pounded yam and soup with five chunks of meat. Or he gives testimony of how despite his cheating,she stayed with him.

How are the scenarios the same?

You're exaggerating! 200 Naira for soup, abeg be serious! What do you call norm? Who gave you the definition of norm? As a guy if I chose not to build a house, to remain in my father's house in the village and not to buy a car, would you as a woman love me unconditionally? men aspire to be more because the burden has already been placed on their head. Taking care of you, building a house, buying cars, paying school fees for the kids, these things that you call norm are not your RIGHTS but privileges. Now as a woman if you feel taking care of your husband, being the homemaker, being submissive should not be the norm, then ask yourself. WHO'S THE SELFISH ONE HERE?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by Riele(f): 11:36pm On Feb 26, 2020
Trash .

All I see in that marriage is slavery .

9 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by micflo28(m): 11:40pm On Feb 26, 2020
Nnaabros:
One of the major problems bedevilling relationships and marriages today is the epidemic known as 'feminism'.
I don't agree any less, Sex has also formed the basis for broken marriages, where one partner isn't having the time or starving the other this vital ingredient in marriage, infertility is bound to be bred and other vices accompany it, like financial wastefulness, keeping late nights, drunk drinking, lies and lack of trust.

1 Like

Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by KIDfurniture(m): 11:41pm On Feb 26, 2020
Minus Ig , fb, tinder , twitter , and the rest . What u get is a normal home.
Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by nextstep(m): 11:41pm On Feb 26, 2020
Agree with all OP said, but let's not forget that marriage requires 100% effort from both husband and wife. A caring husband would realize that his wife is a fully-fledged adult, and that ideally, decisions should be made together. The man may be the head of the house, but a head cannot turn without a neck (the woman)

4 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by micflo28(m): 11:45pm On Feb 26, 2020
When you know the man you are married to, you can trust him with the last dime in your account and your heart will never leap. Ladies, pray for such a man.

3 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by deltateam: 11:49pm On Feb 26, 2020
Femsyn:
To buttress the OP's views...

I read this story and i laughed... i laughed hard because marriage is complex and is often more that what meets the eye.

Do you know the couple's story? They alone, know why they act in the manner they do. Look! how a woman or wife react in marriage is borne more of the input of the husband. What you see is what you get.

Let me ask you a question? Do you think the woman would've reacted the same way, if the man is often of the habit of squandering family cash on irrelevant things, stays away from the house with girlfriends, ignores the wife, does not carry the wife along in major decisions and does not take care of the home?

Young men, don't read hastily. The man the OP depicted up there is a responsible man. Most women align with their husbands easily, when the man is doing the needful.

The man has done enough for the reward you saw for few moments. Men, that reward doesn't come automatically. You work for it!!!

My response is not for the OP, because s/he has done justice with the points given thereafter. My response is for men who might read hastily, and assume the wife's behaviour is follow-come.

I concur.
Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by Nobody: 11:50pm On Feb 26, 2020
abbey621:

You're exaggerating! 200 Naira for soup, abeg be serious! What do you call norm? Who gave you the definition of norm? As a guy if I chose not to build a house, to remain in my father's house in the village and not to buy a car, would you as a woman love me unconditionally? men aspire to be more because the burden has already been placed on their head. Taking care of you, building a house, buying cars, paying school fees for the kids, these things that you call norm are not your RIGHTS but privileges. Now as a woman if you feel taking care of your husband, being the homemaker, being submissive should not be the norm, then ask yourself. WHO'S THE SELFISH ONE HERE?
You didnt comprehend my post and yet offered a rebuttal not related to my post.
Norms are more of stereotype a society adapts,both men and women are influenced by this.
I never and will never endorse conforming to norms ,I only made mention of norms to buttress my point. Where did I say norms are to be practiced by males or females only?

You call providing for the family a privilege and not a right,so why do men believe being the home maker that cooks and take Care of the kids is their right?why don't they also see it as a privilege?
I made a comparison of praising a woman for enduring cheating and bullshit from a man and a woman praising her husband for just being faithful.
Did I made mention of submissiveness or being a home maker?
Please read my posts carefully.

I know many women that are contented with the fact that their husbands don't cheat or get drunk . Thats enough for her to idolize him. Each time I complain of my dad my mum will say "be grateful for your dad,he doesn't have kids outside,he doesn't drink etc"
But for a man to praise a woman it means she did the extraordinary like giving up her career, enduring his baggage like (smoking,drinking,chasing girls and domestic violence).

14 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by Kennedyiheme02: 12:00am On Feb 27, 2020
DexterousOne:

Summary of the story

A man who is responsible will get all the goodies ceteris paribus

If the woman does anyhow
She knows another woman is there to replace her.
And no one wants to lose better thing
not in this generation of feminism.. did you read tje part were she said the couple have been together for 40years. Meaning they've been riding since the 70s.. 70s were there was no social media that influenced feminism... if you like responsible reach heaven... you're wasting your time

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by abbey621(m): 12:10am On Feb 27, 2020
Michellekabod2:

You didnt comprehend my post and yet offered a rebuttal not related to my post.
Norms are more of stereotype a society adapts,both men and women are influenced by this.
I never and will never endorse conforming to norms ,I only made mention of norms to buttress my point. Where did I say norms are to be practiced by males or females only?

You call providing for the family a privilege and not a right,so why do men believe being the home maker that cooks and take Care of the kids is their right?why don't they also see it as a privilege?
I made a comparison of praising a woman for enduring cheating and bullshit from a man and a woman praising her husband for just being faithful.
Did I made mention of submissiveness or being a home maker?
Please read my posts carefully.

I know many women that are contented with the fact that their husbands don't cheat or get drunk . Thats enough for her to idolize him. Each time I complain of my dad my mum will say "be grateful for your dad,he doesn't have kids outside,he doesn't drink etc"
But for a man to praise a woman it means she did the extraordinary like giving up her career, enduring his baggage like (smoking,drinking,chasing girls and domestic violence).

It seems you had a very rough childhood hence the bias in your statements. Let's examine your quote:

Here's your initial statement:

You are the one that believes men fulfilling gender roles is the norm but when a woman does the same it is not seen as such. I only pointed out the hypocrisy in such statements. You obviously believe a woman taking care of the home, being submissive is equal to being a slave rather than her just fulfilling her gender role hence my rebuttal.

Moving on, any woman that you see contented with her husband not showing any sign of progress or goals is FOOLISH at best and WICKED at worst! How do you know what women are praised for or not? You mean generally men don't appreciate their submissive wife? You mean they don't praise how delicious her food tastes? You mean they are not proud when she visits her in-laws and she is celebrated? Perhaps you mean, husbands don't appreciate their wives managing their financial resources wisely? I'm trying to figure out how you came to your conclusion because as a guy, I can tell you EMPHATICALLY that we boast about our wives submissiveness and resourcefulness. It is only a foolish man that would take such things for granted in this age of feminist wannabees. Just like women praise their husband for buying them things and staying faithful, we men value such sentimental things as well. Do not deceive yourself, every marriage is different, the dyanmics of one should not be compared to another. Your experience stems from that of your parents, you'll be surprised another person might have a way different point of view based on his or her own experiences.

5 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by Tima1980(f): 12:21am On Feb 27, 2020
You are lifted and bless forever.

quote author=Femsyn post=86940429]To buttress the OP's views...

I read this story and i laughed... i laughed hard because marriage is complex and is often more that what meets the eye.

Do you know the couple's story? They alone, know why they act in the manner they do. Look! how a woman or wife react in marriage is borne more of the input of the husband. What you see is what you get.

Let me ask you a question? Do you think the woman would've reacted the same way, if the man is often of the habit of squandering family cash on irrelevant things, stays away from the house with girlfriends, ignores the wife, does not carry the wife along in major decisions and does not take care of the home?

Young men, don't read hastily. The man the OP depicted up there is a responsible man. Most women align with their husbands easily, when the man is doing the needful.

The man has done enough for the reward you saw for few moments. Men, that reward doesn't come automatically. You work for it!!!

My response is not for the OP, because s/he has done justice with the points given thereafter. My response is for men who might read hastily, and assume the wife's behaviour is follow-come.[/quote]

3 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by Euegene100001: 12:22am On Feb 27, 2020
Love,respect and honor from a wife will humble any man .That woman’s marriage can never crash.This particular kind of ladies are rare if you find one you are lucky and blessed wink

3 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by djon78(m): 12:23am On Feb 27, 2020
DexterousOne:

Summary of the story

A man who is responsible will get all the goodies ceteris paribus

If the woman does anyhow
She knows another woman is there to replace her.
And no one wants to lose better thing

Story. There are lots of good men married to terrible wives.
Men should just pray God favours them with a good wife. It's the best thing that can happen to any man. And good women are rare. They don't easily come by.

I mean women that will give a man peace.

Another observation good women give birth to and raise good female offspring.
Once you see a good wife, she always raises good daughters.

2 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by ayidmu: 12:27am On Feb 27, 2020
eazzzy1:
That’s a woman who acknowledges her husbands headship over her.
Tell me how there relationship no go last.

1 Like

Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by OyinO: 12:30am On Feb 27, 2020
When our forefathers were not going to churches and fearing Gods. marriages used to last a lifetime. How come in a generation of Godfearing spouses, divorce, naggging, stabbing, cheating, side-chicken, hatred, disrespect and retarliation has taken over marriages between so-called Godfearing pretenders?

dumra:
When 1 learns to fear and love God, then u can lo r your fellow Human beings. Same applies to marriages.

2 Likes

Re: What I Learnt From A Wedding Anniversary That Could Help Save Marriages Today by Kuficking: 12:35am On Feb 27, 2020
Wow

Sodomy is worse than White Supremacy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Wedding Rings Only / Gun Bullet On My Dad's Bed This Morning Thank Uord / Wife Throws Her Nigerian Husband Stuffs Out Of His Own Home (pic/vid)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.