Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,756 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:20 PM

Deontay Wilder: My Costume Casused My Defeat - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Deontay Wilder: My Costume Casused My Defeat (929 Views)

Anthony Joshua Beats Otto Wallin: Deontay Wilder Outboxed By Joseph Parker(video / Deontay Wilder: My Heavy Ring Walk Costume Caused My Defeat / Deontay Wilder Shoves Off Tyson Fury During Fight Promotional Campaign (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Deontay Wilder: My Costume Casused My Defeat by dondigi(m): 1:44am On Feb 25, 2020
Deontay Wilder has blamed his elaborate ring-walk costume for his WBC heavyweight title defeat by Tyson Fury.

The American, 34, said his costume was too heavy and as a result he "didn't have the legs" for the fight.

Britain's Fury, 31, produced a dominant display to win the title in Las Vegas on Saturday when Wilder's corner threw in the towel in the seventh round.

Wilder also told US media he will exercise his rematch clause for a third fight against Fury.

"Fury didn't hurt me at all, but the simple fact is that my uniform was way too heavy for me," Wilder told Yahoo.

Wilder said the costume, which featured armour, a mask and a crown, weighed at least 40 pounds (18.1kg) and was a tribute to Black History Month.

Fury was carried to the ring on a throne, while also wearing a crown.

"I didn't have no legs from the beginning of the fight - in the third round, my legs were just shot all the way through," added Wilder.

"I was only able to put it on [for the first time] the night before but I didn't think it was going to be that heavy.

"I wanted it to be good and I guess I put that before anything."

Fury v Joshua will happen - Warren
'Maverick Fury one fight from immortality'

Fury was carried to the ring on a throne
Fury floored Wilder with a jab and right-hand combination in the third round before a left hand to the body sent the previously unbeaten Wilder down again in the fifth.

Wilder was taken to hospital after the fight but said he did not suffer a concussion, broken ear drum or broken jaw as had been speculated, but did require stitches to close a cut in his ear.

He also criticised assistant trainer Mark Breland for stopping the fight.

"I am upset with Mark for the simple fact that we've talked about this many times and it's not emotional," he said.

"It is not an emotional thing, it's a principal thing. We've talked about this situation many, many years before this even happened.

"I said as a warrior, as a champion, as a leader, as a ruler, I want to go out on my shield.

"So I told my team to never, ever, no matter what it may look like, to never throw the towel in with me because I'm a special kind. I still had five rounds left. No matter what it looked like, I was still in the fight."

"I understand he was looking out for me and trying to do what he felt was right, but this is my life and my career and he has to accept my wishes."

Wilder has 30 days to invoke the rematch clause in his contract in order to try and reclaim the title from Fury, having drawn their first encounter in December 20.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/51623455

Re: Deontay Wilder: My Costume Casused My Defeat by Goldencheese(m): 2:14am On Feb 25, 2020
If that match was not stopped, Fury would have literally killed you. You better thank your stars you got our of it alive. Loudmouth
Re: Deontay Wilder: My Costume Casused My Defeat by dawnomike(m): 2:19am On Feb 25, 2020
We also gave up on your behalf biko!
Re: Deontay Wilder: My Costume Casused My Defeat by Nobody: 2:29am On Feb 25, 2020
I slept that day but as Dem dey blow wilder I dey hear inside dream. That's how hard the punch be.
Re: Deontay Wilder: My Costume Casused My Defeat by Kwamecron(m): 3:45am On Feb 25, 2020
Wetin be my own Na
Re: Deontay Wilder: My Costume Casused My Defeat by salford: 4:33am On Feb 25, 2020
Lame excuse. how about he takes his defeat like a man and quit lieing..Got beaten black and blue.
Re: Deontay Wilder: My Costume Casused My Defeat by Righteousness89(m): 6:10am On Feb 25, 2020
Bros.... Go Thank your Corner for the Rescue!
Your Face was Battered, Shattered and Scattered with Blows....

If not for the Rescue from your Corner, Na RIP ooo
Re: Deontay Wilder: My Costume Casused My Defeat by metch1(m): 6:29am On Feb 25, 2020
Reminds me of how David avoided the armoury presented him by Saul when he was to fight Goliath... But Wilder nor dey read Bible. Yeye de smell
Re: Deontay Wilder: My Costume Casused My Defeat by Nobody: 7:12am On Feb 25, 2020
Imagine he had won that fight, would he have thought about the bloody costume

Alright, go ahead and schedule a third fight. I hope you don't get to blame it on your hairstyle if you get to lose lose again though.
Re: Deontay Wilder: My Costume Casused My Defeat by Kiddogarcia(m): 8:57am On Feb 25, 2020
his pride stinks for me,even the superior Joshua accepted defeated against a less fancy Ruiz,but look a t wilder,he thinks he boosting his psychology, but he's denting his reputation more
Re: Deontay Wilder: My Costume Casused My Defeat by nuban07(m): 10:49am On Feb 25, 2020
This guy should go and fixed his eardrum jare. Was he forced to wear the costumes
Re: Deontay Wilder: My Costume Casused My Defeat by Tomoyayi(m): 2:03pm On Feb 25, 2020
If I hia.
This guy needs proper check up o, it's obvious Fury has knocked his brain to one corner
Re: Deontay Wilder: My Costume Casused My Defeat by GabriellePeake: 4:31pm On Jul 07, 2021
I agree. This arrogance looks stupid, like the ridiculous suit. He'd look great if the costume wasn't so heavy. I'd never have sacrificed my mobility in his place. And the light up purge mask would look more thrilling with several lighting options. He didn't even have the opportunity to take off this suit on the field, although he suffered a lot because of it. It's like he doesn't know that everyone loves him anyway, so he just overlooks hate. He wants to impress with a suit and is ready for all of the tricks, as long as it isn't so apparent as his suit.
Re: Deontay Wilder: My Costume Casused My Defeat by paulolee(m): 5:34pm On Jul 07, 2021
back then for streets eh, e get dt particular pikin wey always sabi beat me even though how small n lanky he looks like..
whenever he beats me, I take my time to find d perfect excuse when asked why a short n lanky boy usually looks for my trouble n ends up beating me..
I got tired of the excuses n finally told my brother dt d gee strong pass me n dt was d end of our troubles n fights..
this life eeh, person wey pass u, pass u...fury go beat dis gee again n i pray mk nobody throw in d towel dis time..
Re: Deontay Wilder: My Costume Casused My Defeat by paulolee(m): 5:35pm On Jul 07, 2021
Goldencheese:
If that match was not stopped, Fury would have literally killed you. You better thank your stars you got our of it alive. Loudmouth
I swear, dis time eeh, na thunder go fire whoever help am throw in d towel...mk fury beat am till d point wey e go need 5yrs break from boxing.
Re: Deontay Wilder: My Costume Casused My Defeat by paulolee(m): 5:36pm On Jul 07, 2021
dawnomike:
We also gave up on your behalf biko!
all dis rants na because of the moni wey e de plan make from rematch...Mk e no worri..na die e dey dis time

(1) (Reply)

Ranking The Top Five Defensive Midfielders In Africa, Ndidi Is Number 2 / Olympics ranking for African countries / CRISTIANO RONALDO ; One Million Likes Within An Hour !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.