Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,505 members, 7,826,906 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices (58640 Views)

Hakeem Odumosu Reacts To Reports Of Robbers Disgusing As Beggars In Lekki/Ajah / Coronavirus: Lagos State Goverment Disrupts Party, Seals Event Centers / Okada, Keke Ban: Occupy Lagos Protest This Morning In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by berbs: 11:20pm On Feb 25, 2020
Orisirisi angry
Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by asapants: 11:23pm On Feb 25, 2020
Reminds of this book `BEGGARS STRIKE`
Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by savfez1: 11:24pm On Feb 25, 2020
there is no cuture or religion on earth that support begging as a way of sustaining one.......those guys just need a better skill aquisation program grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by Advancedman(m): 11:32pm On Feb 25, 2020
Mediarero:
More photos
Government should deal decisively with them.

1 Like

Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by HitSong: 11:32pm On Feb 25, 2020
Lostz:
Islam!

The beggars were chanting ‘Allahu Akbar’ intermittently and dared the police to harass them.

Why can't you take your begging to your home state?

All this kids that should be in school are already being groom for this? I pity Nigeria

I guess some fools don't know that religion doesn't have anything to do with begging... Many dead brains in this country...
Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by OROSUNBOLB(m): 11:34pm On Feb 25, 2020
Why protesting in Lagos ? Does it look like Kano,Sokoto and the likes ? Governments of south west should as a matter of urgency begin to send these people back to their region where begging is their culture. The North has nothing to offer except almajirisms,diseases,poverty, violence,and all other negative vices.

2 Likes

Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by HitSong: 11:34pm On Feb 25, 2020
Ghostmode2two:
The state government owes them their welfare so Baba Sanwolu provide for them and not arrest.
What the government actually need to do is deport them back to their almajiri states

3 Likes

Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by dederocs(m): 11:49pm On Feb 25, 2020
Lagos state government should ban begging, Kano state just did...they are indigenes of Northern states, they are a nuisance to Lagos

4 Likes

Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by Ttorp(m): 11:56pm On Feb 25, 2020
Indeed, there was a country.
Beggars are protesting?
You begging people to give you a portion out of their hard earned substance and you still there protesting on trash. Spit

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by okwusdidi: 11:57pm On Feb 25, 2020
In a country were there is no social security and government keeps bringing out policies that render people jobless, i am not surprised that this kind of thing is happening.Let them keep neglecting the less privilege and be forming all sorts of security outfits,since the country security agents have failed.The beggers are even asking for empowement.You have not done anything to empower them and you are arresting them.
Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by Classyprecious(f): 12:12am On Feb 26, 2020
They should be offered free transportation back to their village on condition that they will never come back to beg. Lagos state is a mega city , begger's are not to be found there.

1 Like

Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by lottomkyes200: 12:21am On Feb 26, 2020
If am the governor I will be kind enough to return all of them to their state for free.

2 Likes

Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by redsun(m): 12:43am On Feb 26, 2020
What is the main cause of high physical disability among northerners in Nigeria? Sharia? Polio?or chronic poverty. I can't think of any physically disabled person in the community that I was born, very rare, just a few imbeciles here and there, but hardly physical.
Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by Alashoalash10: 1:00am On Feb 26, 2020
Mediarero:
Over 1,000 beggars on Tuesday blocked the entrance of the Lagos State House of Assembly and the Governor’s Office to protest undue harassment and arrest by officials of the state government.

The beggars, who came in over 10 buses and seven tricycles barricaded the entrance to the Assembly and demanded that Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu addressed them, saying that they would sleep on the road if the governor did not come out.

Despite plea by government officials telling them that the governor was not around, they refused to bend and vowed to remain there until they were seen by the governor.

The protesters were armed with placards, some of which read: “Enough is enough, stop the persecution of people with disabilities,” “Save the waterfront, enforced conviction, we demand justice,”If you don’t want to see us begging on the streets, give us skills and empowerment,” “Seeing beggars all over our streets and roads is the failure of the system” and “We are tired of running without legs or eyes, give us skills and empowerment.”

The beggars were chanting ‘Allahu Akbar’ intermittently and dared the police to harass them.

A cross section of the protesters

Spokesperson of the beggars and Coordinator, Physically Challenged Empowerment Initiatives, PCEI, Mohammed Zanna, said in 2017, they protested in Alausa and refused to leave, but that many of them were arrested and taken to Majidun, which he described as a prison where they were ill-treated and manhandled by government officials.

He said without making provision, government would make laws to arrest the beggars and dumped them at Majidun, as some of them had died in the hospital and in detention.

According to him, some of the beggars had been able to purchase tricycles to do their businesses, but that now that the government had banned them, their situation had been made difficult, saying that people were now trekking from bus stops to their destinations and that some of the physically challenged among them did not have means of transportation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGf-1xmVrv0
So all this children are beggars also na wa for Nigeria o
Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by YUKAYMAY: 1:00am On Feb 26, 2020
This one standing and holding plaque card with eyes open, what's their disability? If there can hire buses. Why cant they pay to learn trade? Abi na Goverment born dem?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by Alashoalash10: 1:02am On Feb 26, 2020
Mediarero:
Over 1,000 beggars on Tuesday blocked the entrance of the Lagos State House of Assembly and the Governor’s Office to protest undue harassment and arrest by officials of the state government.

The beggars, who came in over 10 buses and seven tricycles barricaded the entrance to the Assembly and demanded that Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu addressed them, saying that they would sleep on the road if the governor did not come out.

Despite plea by government officials telling them that the governor was not around, they refused to bend and vowed to remain there until they were seen by the governor.

The protesters were armed with placards, some of which read: “Enough is enough, stop the persecution of people with disabilities,” “Save the waterfront, enforced conviction, we demand justice,”If you don’t want to see us begging on the streets, give us skills and empowerment,” “Seeing beggars all over our streets and roads is the failure of the system” and “We are tired of running without legs or eyes, give us skills and empowerment.”

A cross section of the protesters

Spokesperson of the beggars and Coordinator, Physically Challenged Empowerment Initiatives, PCEI, Mohammed Zanna, said in 2017, they protested in Alausa and refused to leave, but that many of them were arrested and taken to Majidun, which he described as a prison where they were ill-treated and manhandled by government officials.

He said without making provision, government would make laws to arrest the beggars and dumped them at Majidun, as some of them had died in the hospital and in detention.

According to him, some of the beggars had been able to purchase tricycles to do their businesses, but that now that the government had banned them, their situation had been made difficult, saying that people were now trekking from bus stops to their destinations and that some of the physically challenged among them did not have means of transportation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGf-1xmVrv0
So all this children are beggars also na wa for Nigeria o by shouting allar Akbar shows they are Muslims and Islam supports begging

2 Likes

Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by miketayo(m): 5:07am On Feb 26, 2020
They should deport all of them from lagos.. the day they were arresting them in ajah, the blind saw the lame walked I was shocked to see a blind man abandoning the kid he walks with and running. Most of them are fraudster.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by anonimi: 5:13am On Feb 26, 2020

1 Like

Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by anonimi: 5:16am On Feb 26, 2020
miketayo:
They should deport all of them from lagos.. the day they were arresting them in ajah, the blind saw the lame walked I was shocked to see a blind man abandoning the kid he walks with and running. Most of them are fraudster.

shocked angry

They are spies and underground militants ready to unleash terror on southerners as they did in 2011 when barawo bubu lost elections.
We need Amotekun urgently to keep us safe from these undesirable, war mongers.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2027919_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10911811_8d9d9975f1e749648a73ab6a61dea465_jpeg_jpeg34d1142f6b16d3d50c363398cdbced42

2 Likes

Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by 9jaRealist: 5:19am On Feb 26, 2020
Alashoalash10:
So all this children are beggars also na wa for Nigeria o
KmniAutos:
No comment

Just see kids in this 21st century

I spit on this thread...

Truly there was a country

Abegi, hope no one is blaming the "country" instead of calling a spade a spade...
Other people from the SAME "country" do everything to feed and school their kids.
>

1 Like

Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by Nobody: 5:24am On Feb 26, 2020
HitSong:

I guess some fools don't know that religion doesn't have anything to do with begging... Many dead brains in this country...
religion lead to this almajiri system of parenting. you guys think it is your birth right to beg?

you Islamic potential terrorist will rather deny the obvious.

2 Likes

Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by backnbeta(f): 5:29am On Feb 26, 2020
Ladycewhy:
Lol, why southerners give these people money beats me. One yeye idiot said the other time that begging was their culture.

Dear Southerners stop giving people who feel they are entitled to your money,let them starve on the streets if they want to or let them follow tomatos lorry back to their various states to continue their begging culture there.

The day I saw a Hausa woman beggar eating food I cannot afford with two meat and pure water is the day I stopped giving these beggars money,to think all her kids were there too hustling and holding people's clothes to beg for money made it even more disgusting.
As for me, my family, friends and colleagues, we don't give them shishi. Instead, I'll give to the real poor, not these wicked, domineering and lazy sloths who have chosen begging over working undecided

1 Like

Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by SciLab: 5:38am On Feb 26, 2020
These beggars are brought down to the south by Alhajis who practically do nothing but sleep on mats with radio on their ears in little batchers and kiosks

Go to Agege railway, mosalashi around Hausa mosque in Agege and see them there. That place is their colony.

You will see Alhaji sleeping on mats doing nothing while his beggars are on the streets begging, sometimes on wheelchairs. At night the hausa Alhaji gets his remitance of an average of N30,000 each from his beggars who number up to 10 on the streets, that's fucking N300,000 per day. In a month, that's about N9,000,000. Who wouldn't fight the state government to keep that kind of profit?

The Alhaji gets fattened but give his beggars less than N100 per day, to ensure they look poor enough to attract sympathy alms.

I know one hausa Alhaji who did this and then got into bureau de change business of changing dollar bills at oke koto, his beggers are still on the street nonethless, minting money for him.

Southerners are idiots!

1 Like

Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by anonimi: 5:46am On Feb 26, 2020
SciLab:
These beggars are brought down to the south by Alhajis who practically do nothing but sleep on mats with radio on their ears in little batchers and kiosks

Go to Agege railway, mosalashi around Hausa mosque in Agege and see them there. That place is their colony.

You will see Alhaji sleeping on mats doing nothing while his beggars are on the streets begging, sometimes on wheelchairs. At night the hausa Alhaji gets his remitance of an average of N30,000 each from his beggars who number up to 10 on the streets, that's fucking N300,000 per day. Who wouldn't fight the state government to keep that kind of profit?

I know one hausa Alhaji who did this and then got into bureau de change business of changing dollar bills at oke koto, his beggers are still on the street nonethless.

Southerners are idiots!

We are idiots who think that we are smart nonetheless as we allow the Fulanis to dominate us anyhow.

[img]https://3.bp..com/-QrFrnY2czPw/WYhZg3OMmjI/AAAAAAAADFM/nb4UIzwgIZszHJOKKJdpiut37c3HHxYyACLcBGAs/s640/pic.JPG[/img]

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11029618_nigeria1959elections_jpegb311882ba015e01cc820b4c658d6161d

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3937527_buharisardauna_jpegcb12decad1bd9dd31b45d009f2877b1f

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by mmsen: 5:47am On Feb 26, 2020
Ladycewhy:
Lol, why southerners give these people money beats me. One yeye idiot said the other time that begging was their culture.

Dear Southerners stop giving people who feel they are entitled to your money,let them starve on the streets if they want to or let them follow tomatos lorry back to their various states to continue their begging culture there.

The day I saw a Hausa woman beggar eating food I cannot afford with two meat and pure water is the day I stopped giving these beggars money,to think all her kids were there too hustling and holding people's clothes to beg for money made it even more disgusting.

Lol

1 Like

Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by anonimi: 5:56am On Feb 26, 2020
Ladycewhy:

The same way we give them more allocation from the federation account and positions in the federal civil service, agencies and government companies despite using nearly zero points to gain admission into Unity schools and obtain bogus certificates.
When will we southerners be wise
What can make us wise and reset our brains?

charlycharles:
Cut-off marks for entrance to Federal UNITY Schools for all 36 states and the FCT
••••
Abia – Male (130) Female (130)
Adamawa – Male (62) Female (62)
Akwa-Ibom – Male (123) Female (123)
Anambra – Male (139) Female (139)
Bauchi – Male (35) Female (35)
Bayelsa – Male (72) Female (72)
Benue – Male (111) Female (111)
Borno – Male (45) Female (45)
Cross-Rivers – Male (97) Female (97)
Delta – Male (131) Female (131)
Ebonyi – Male (112) Female (112)
Edo – Male (127) Female (127)
Ekiti – Male (119) Female (119)
Enugu – Male (134) Female (134)
Gombe – Male (58) Female (58)
Imo – Male (138) Female (138)
Jigawa – Male (44) Female (44)
Kaduna – Male (91) Female (91)
Kano – Male (67) Female (67)
Kastina – Male (60) Female (60)
Kebbi – Male (9) Female (20)
Kogi – Male (119) Female (119)
Kwara – Male (123) Female (123)
Lagos – Male (133) Female(133)
Nassarawa – Male (58) Female (58)
Niger – Male (93) Female (93)
Ogun – Male (131) Female (131)
Ondo – Male (126) Female (126)
Osun – Male (127) Female (127)
Oyo – Male (127) Female (127)
Plateau – Male (97) Female (97)
Rivers – Male (118) Female (118)
Sokoto – Male (9) Female (13)
Taraba – Male (3) Female (11)
Yobe – Male (2) Female (27)
Zamfara – Male (4) Female (2)

FCT Abuja – Male (90) Female (90)

After 50 years of Independence, the government of the so called disadvantaged regions ought to have done something to address the situation. You cannot continue to spoon-feed a child and expect that same child to grow, mature and be independent. A student from Abia scores 130 in the Federal Commonwealth Entrance exam, yet it's almost impossible to gain admission in the school of his choice, yet another child from Zamfara will score less than 5 and gain same admission seamlessly. How do you encourage such a child that hard work and merit pays?

Look at all the appointments the president has made so far, over 90% from the north. They are telling us they are based on merit. My question is how comes, when it comes to appointment, they are hiding under merit to appoint only their own, but when it comes to exams and admission into Federal institutions, they bring in Federal character. I'm an advocate of merit, hardwork, transparency, objectivity and emperical selection process. That way you encourage everybody to work hard for whatever he/she wants. After all, the Bible says, "he who does not work, let him not eat". It's against natural and spiritual justice and principle to take from those who work and give to those who don't work. That in itself is the root of corruption Nigeria. I support the President's fight against corruption.

I advocate the enthronement of merit and objectivity in our national life. So, Mr. President, if you are serious about your anti-corruption mantra, If you are serious about this your new "merit" policy, let's go back to the basis. Start by eliminating all forms of quota system and federal character in the admission process into Unity schools, Federal universities and recruitment/
employment into all federal civil service, agencies, parastatals and let's see who will be qualified. That's my humble submission.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2578022_iweala_jpeg0858fd35c7757170d8155dae6623e1c2

[img]https://1.bp..com/-_spEZ7TwEzU/XRF8uDxWQJI/AAAAAAADR7I/gPwLfreuV1AGnnOpWLdknSIxhfvR5szUgCLcBGAs/s400/Fulani-Herdsmen-and-Militia-1.jpg[/img]

www.nairaland.com/attachments/9402486_operasnapshot20190516035220www_bbc_com_jpeg27a2e53d0353af1c1d6fdd2d61f7cfc1

www.nairaland.com/attachments/10270139_fulaniherdsmen10_pngd8a430cfd4d6d020495da22dbf8c3e49

1 Like

Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by Thonee(m): 6:11am On Feb 26, 2020
Sanwo wants to spoil northerners careers again after banning okada.
Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by Deepfeel(m): 6:48am On Feb 26, 2020
Arewa , I thought you said you almejiris are rich and the north is more developed than the south , what are you people doing in Lagos disturbing ?

1 Like

Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by HitSong: 7:36am On Feb 26, 2020
Lostz:
religion lead to this almajiri system of parenting. you guys think it is your birth right to beg?

you Islamic potential terrorist will rather deny the obvious.
So obvious that you're very shallow minded and grossly ignorant...
DO YOU KNOW THE MEANING OF ALMAJIRI?
Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by TOPCRUISE(m): 7:38am On Feb 26, 2020
Some people have taken begging as a career.

1 Like

Re: Beggars In Lagos Protest Against Harrassment, Block Goverment Offices by Nobody: 7:39am On Feb 26, 2020
HitSong:

So obvious that you're very shallow minded and grossly ignorant...
DO YOU KNOW THE MEANING OF ALMAJIRI?

almajiri, a system of parenting you guys use in bringing up touts, terrorist and criminals?

just look at those beggars and tell me their religion

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lagos Food Relief Distributes Food In Parts Of Lagos (Pictures) / Nnamdi Kanu's Outfit To Owerri As He Visited Earlier Today (PICS) / Nigeria Picks Kogi, Akwa Ibom For Nuclear Power Plants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.