Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,008 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

Today Is Ash Wednesday; Beginning Of Lent - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Today Is Ash Wednesday; Beginning Of Lent (15364 Views)

Today Is Ash Wednesday / Today Is Ash Wednesday, Marks The Start Of The Lenten Period / Meaning Of Lent & Why It Lasts For Forty Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday; Beginning Of Lent by Itsme0I: 10:15am On Feb 26, 2020
[s]
FrLukas:

What is religious Christianity and what is relationship Christianity?

Even Jesus celebrated the Sabbath day and celebrated the Passover feast of the Jewish religion.

Don't let's be more Christian than Christ Himself.

There's nothing wrong in setting aside 40 days to fast and pray and do penance in commemoration of the 40-day fast of Jesus in the wilderness.

Besides, it's been a practice in the Catholic Church for over 1,500 years, so...
[/s]
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday; Beginning Of Lent by APOSTLECHUMA: 10:15am On Feb 26, 2020
Mizwisdom:

Apostle, pray for sinners, your counterparts are doing worst, many are Wolves in Sheep clothes

True
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday; Beginning Of Lent by Itsme0I: 10:21am On Feb 26, 2020
[s]
Ebenezar2020:
Only observed in the Eastern region by igbo ipob Catholics since Catholicism is the major Religion in the south east.
I don't like them neither do I see them as Christians but rather an occult.

tosomaju is right, you guys should stop deceiving yourselves this ritual practices of painting your foreheads with charcoal is absolutely usless.
[/s]
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday; Beginning Of Lent by Itsme0I: 10:21am On Feb 26, 2020
[s]
FrLukas:

No it's not.

I know you want to insult Ibos and what you perceive as their religion.

You are wrong on both counts.

Catholicism is practiced by over 1 billion people around the world.

And what's the point in insulting a whole people and their religion because of some online miscreants?

You may not like the religion, a sensible person will walk by instead of spewing hatred against what he is ignorant of.

You don't see Catholics as Christians, but it is only the Catholic Church that can trace its history all the way down to the Apostles.

If there was a true Christian Church, that would be the Catholic Church.

Other mushroom churches founded by men who say they heard the word of God seem suspect to me.
[/s]
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday; Beginning Of Lent by Itsme0I: 10:28am On Feb 26, 2020
[s]
post=86965746:

Hello kiddo,
Let us reply you with one of your posts,
So it won't be too difficult for you to comprehend and moreso, it won't bring unnecessary arguements.

And we go through this little exercise because we can see this is the first time you are quoting us.......atleast with this moniker!
*winks*
[/s]
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday; Beginning Of Lent by Itsme0I: 10:30am On Feb 26, 2020
[s]
post=86965469:

God bless you too.
[/s]
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday; Beginning Of Lent by Waylex21(m): 11:03am On Feb 26, 2020
APOSTLECHUMA:
During lent they stay away from sin only to return to it with full force on easter day- the day christ died to liberate humanity from the bondage of sin. IT IS HYPOCRISY TO OBSERVE LENT WHEN YOU ARE YET TO PURGE YOUR MIND OF SIN.

The effort is worth it. As a matter of fact, what you imbibe with 40 days stays with you forever. It takes 3 weeks to form an habit or break away from a bad habit.
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday; Beginning Of Lent by Waylex21(m): 11:14am On Feb 26, 2020
celenas:
Question for the day : Why is WEDNESDAY chosen for the marking of ASH,and not other days?

Please I need someone to answer this question.. It's bothering me all this while..

Q. If the date when we celebrate the birth of Jesus was selected, why couldn’t we select a permanent date for Easter?

Lent is forty days fasting and abstinence. Sundays during Lent are not included in the fasting. There are 6 Sundays for the duration of Lent. Excluding these Sundays, it doesn't add up to 40. By beginning on the Wednesday, the 40 days is complete.

1 Like

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday; Beginning Of Lent by plana1: 11:19am On Feb 26, 2020
Chidimercy:
Amen

FTC in this first day of lent. Omniscient God, this season you will give me my dream job.
AMEN! I join my faith to yours to declare that before the end of this lent, The Lord God Almighty will grant us our dream jobs.

1 Like

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday; Beginning Of Lent by kayuseful: 11:27am On Feb 26, 2020
Mizwisdom:

The devil will always use empty vessels to attack God's kingdom, you need deliverance

So attacking a doctrine that we are to abstain from fornication for 40days and not forever is attacking "God's kingdom"?
God bless you
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday; Beginning Of Lent by cktheluckyman: 11:49am On Feb 26, 2020
Ebenezar2020:
Only observed in the Eastern region by igbo ipob Catholics since Catholicism is the major Religion in the south east.
I don't like them neither do I see them as Christians but rather an occult.

tosomaju is right, you guys should stop deceiving yourselves this ritual practices of painting your foreheads with charcoal is absolutely usless.

go ahead and hug a transormer
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday; Beginning Of Lent by Revolva(m): 2:34pm On Feb 26, 2020
So wetin make we do

All these are total rubbish
Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday; Beginning Of Lent by Casemiro(m): 3:09pm On Feb 26, 2020
mascot87:
Time to seek the face of God after years in the wilderness. It's high time I get back to God as the prodigal son did

1 Like

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday; Beginning Of Lent by Casemiro(m): 3:09pm On Feb 26, 2020
Revolva:
So wetin make we do
All these are total rubbish

no

Re: Today Is Ash Wednesday; Beginning Of Lent by Sexycardib: 4:20pm On Feb 26, 2020

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Doesn't God Answer My Prayers? / A Theological Discuss On Tithing By Rhymeyjohn, Image123, Mark Miwerds & Candour / Police Disrupt Vigil Service In Ghana, Arrest Pastor Over Noise (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.