Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,163 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:13 AM

NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 (39045 Views)

Discos Make N1tn Amid Grid Crisis, Unmetered Customers Hit 5.8m / NERC Fines 11 DISCOs N10.5bn Over Overbilling Of Unmetered Customers / FG Withdraws Power Of Attorney For 40% Shares In Discos From BPE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by GreatestA1(m): 4:54pm On Feb 26, 2020
sben2308:
Please I have these questions ;

1.On the bill its 14,530 and I pay 13,000 but still PHCN officials came to my house and disconnected my line.Note I pleaded with them severally but they refuse to listen.What is d minimum we are supposed to pay when we receive our monthly bill.

2.Who can I report excess bill charges to because from 5500 to 15k is killing o?

Thanks
First and foremost, write a letter to the Customer Care Unit of your Disco and copy NERC Forum office in your state. Ensure the letter is acknowledged at the point of submitting it.

Then, wait for 15 working days from the day you wrote to your Disco. After 15 working days, write to the Chairman of the NERC Forum office(Forum) in your state. Attach a copy of the letter you wrote to your Disco, photocopies of your bills and make 8 hard copies. Then, take it to the Forum and submit. They will take further actions.

3 Likes

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by thunderbabs: 4:54pm On Feb 26, 2020
Discos have been legitimately robbing us for long. Awon ole. Give us meter, No... They go dey tell lies say meter no dey.

Scammers
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by thunderbabs: 4:55pm On Feb 26, 2020
Enforcement is germane now
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by emonis88: 5:00pm On Feb 26, 2020
OK good
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by DaRuud(m): 5:02pm On Feb 26, 2020
I have the same problem too ,

I paid #12,000 out of #14,000 those wicked guys still yank off my light

I have patiently applied for prepaid meter .

Thunder go fire some people

sben2308:

1.On the bill its 14,530 and I pay 13,000 but still PHCN officials came to my house and disconnected my line.Note I pleaded with them severally but they refuse to listen.What is d minimum we are supposed to pay when we receive our monthly bill.

2.Who can I report excess bill charges to because from 5500 to 15k is killing o?

Thanks
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by DaRuud(m): 5:05pm On Feb 26, 2020
There is nothing like ' far more stable '

adanny01:

I don't think so. The challenges of power distribution still exist. Those areas you think will now get more light may not have efficient power supply facilities such as transformers and proper network cables. They are still limited to their network capacity so cannot improve even if they want to.

For example, my area is close to a 132kV substation so we get power directly from the 33kV network which is far more stable and only control from the main substation. But the main town has an injection substation which converts the 33kV from the substation to 11kV which 95% of the town uses. That 33/11kV transformer is overloaded so the entire town operates on a ration even when enough power comes via the 132kV.

So even if all the areas using 33kV have faulty transformers, the main 33/11kV transformer will not take more load so the town cannot see more light.

Its the same problem all over the country.
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by emonis88: 5:13pm On Feb 26, 2020
AmazingELixir:

What do you mean by innocent consumers.....your likes that carry cutlass to chase away the disco technicians when they come to disconnect you for default.

I have made my point...the discos should be left alone to make their profits the way they deem fit...if you don't like it switch to renewable energy or gaan buy yourself a lister.
U work for one of these discos n u r part of the crew that collect money from consumers when u disconnect their power.
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by Abidayo(m): 5:25pm On Feb 26, 2020
This same thing happened to my cousin this month. He gets a bill of 3000_3500 monthly and in February 2020 he got 17000naira 800kwh. Baba never know where to start and how to dey pay the bill.

adanny01:

This came at a time I planning to write a complain to NERC.

Can you imagine being charged 90kwh one month and 2 months later 450kwh! Did I suddenly change my house to welding factory house?

I guess their gimmicks has come back to hunt them.

We will see how quickly and seemless meters will start flowing.
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by happy200(m): 5:36pm On Feb 26, 2020
adanny01:

We have 24hx30days in a month to make 720h assuming you have light 24/7. Every area has its monthly average which they use to calculate the estimated bill.
this is the type of person Nigeria need not fools who go round in circle given no clear explanation. Thank you bro
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by Kylekent59: 5:44pm On Feb 26, 2020
edoairways:

What is the meaning of R2, C2 etc. Secondly are those figures in kWh per hour. Please explain further because I don't understand those figures

Let's do some calculation.

Let's say NEPA charges #24 for KWh(killo watt per hour) for R2S

Then 1000 watt = 1kW of which you pay #24

Let us assume you have a 40 watt electric bulb and you leave it on for 24 hours (say there is electricity 24/4)

Now let us calculate the amount you are to pay.

Energy = power (watt) x time (sec)

we convert 40w to kw = 0.04kw

You are charged #0.00666k for 1 second

0.04 x 24 x 3600 x 0.00666

you pay #23.01k for 24 hours

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by SeedofDavid: 5:55pm On Feb 26, 2020
sben2308:

Thanks

You have been donating money to charity. Depending on how long this has been on going, You've probably settled your light bills for the next 3years if not more.
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by SeedofDavid: 5:58pm On Feb 26, 2020
Abidayo:
This same thing happened to my cousin this month. He gets a bill of 3000_3500 monthly and in February 2020 he got 17000naira 800kwh. Baba never know where to start and how to dey pay the bill.

He should call their complaints office and write them. Do they read his meter? how did they come up with such? They can do all these because they know that most people are naive.

1 Like

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by SeedofDavid: 5:59pm On Feb 26, 2020
DaRuud:
I have the same problem too ,

I paid #12,000 out of #14,000 those wicked guys still yank off my light
I have patiently applied for prepaid meter .

Thunder go fire some people

Ha!!!
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by shadeyinka(m): 6:17pm On Feb 26, 2020
edoairways:

The tariff rates at too low hence the exorbitant charges. The government should do something by making sure both parties( disco and consumers) benefit mutually.
Who told you that the tariff rate is low? How much are the DISCOs paying per kWh to the GENCOs? What is the markup?
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by petitejolie(f): 6:25pm On Feb 26, 2020
Its not just about sitting in Abuja and making orders. Who will see that discos Adhere to this order. How do we d consumers report disco wen they act contrary
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by edoairways: 6:27pm On Feb 26, 2020
shadeyinka:

Who told you that the tariff rate is low? How much are the DISCOs paying per kWh to the GENCOs? What is the markup?

I learnt it is N30 per kwh
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by DarkJeddi(m): 6:33pm On Feb 26, 2020
edoairways:

It isn't awesome. The discos would now supply more power to areas that generate huge revenue at the expense of the masses.
And them go dey do themselves..

The long and short of the new development is that if they don't provide enough electricity and meter for ALL their customers,they are going to loose money..
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by edoairways: 6:34pm On Feb 26, 2020
DarkJeddi:

The long and short of the new development is that if they don't provide enough electricity and meter for ALL their customers,they are going to loose money..
How would this directive be implemented?
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by openmine(m): 6:41pm On Feb 26, 2020
oz4real83:
Will customers also pay the N1,800 any month there wasn't electricity? I don't know what is so difficult with forcing discos to give prepaid meters. If there are no meters, don't bill anything. Let the discos be at loss with their inability to provide prepaid meters.
Seconded!
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by lekankolade(m): 6:43pm On Feb 26, 2020
GamalNasser:

What has Buhari got to do with this ..let's thank the new minister who is committed to removing the Fashola rot

But if any of the MDAs failed , u can blame Buhari?
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by brownbib(m): 7:00pm On Feb 26, 2020
Nice. I'll be very glad if this Government can make sustainable investment in the electricity sector.
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by REMMEI(m): 7:15pm On Feb 26, 2020
Did anyone knows the NERC email and website I need to log a complaint to them.. I have been paying 20,000 naira for the past 4 months.. and the prepaid meter applied for hasn't been delivered yet.. I'm only living in a room and parlour self contain.

These people are really dancing disco on my head.

1 Like

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by careidon: 7:30pm On Feb 26, 2020
The DISCOs bought terrible bad debts from FG.

Now their strategy is to collect these fictitious debts from present occupiers. But most were owed by dead landlords, tenants that have moved out long ago etc. Most were from NEPA's staff collecting bribes from tenants or not doing their jobs properly! - ie going for meter readings OR settling complaints over genuine inflated bills)
They should have removed the debts; allow another special purpose company collect the debts; pay the FG and they start afresh.
Lots of biz owners make same mistake (buying lemons) with no reprieve from FG or anywhere.

oz4real83:
Will customers also pay the N1,800 any month there wasn't electricity? I don't know what is so difficult with forcing discos to give prepaid meters. If there are no meters, don't bill anything. Let the discos be at loss with their inability to provide prepaid meters.
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by Okwarakele: 7:35pm On Feb 26, 2020
That's interesting but...
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by shadeyinka(m): 7:47pm On Feb 26, 2020
edoairways:

I learnt it is N30 per kwh
That will not be correct because the DISCOs will never sell below cost price and moreover, if only they used the prepaid meters, they will have less overhead in terms of salary payment
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by Offpoint: 7:47pm On Feb 26, 2020
LionTiger:
Who will execute this order in this lawless nation?
Watch the shameless corrupt DSCOS dance Micheal Jacksons " Backsliding" and head to Court.
It's called "Moonwalk" not "Backslide"

Moonwalking....

You're welcome.
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by Alayiwola: 7:48pm On Feb 26, 2020
you re mad,Imagine stupid comment..so if they are stealing money from bank,depositor should pay for it so that bank can survive.were Discos should g after those stealing. why should i be paying for what i'm not using.

AmazingELixir:
undecided

Nonsense!...NERC just want to finally kill off the discos, even those with the metering units still shunt the lines, leaving just the lighting units hooked to the meter while connecting the heavy appliances to the bypassed loop.....how do they want these guys to remain solvent for heaven's sake.

Power theft is a serious problem unless that is fixed by all stakeholders, estimated billings should be left alone cos that's how the discos break even.
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by edoairways: 7:50pm On Feb 26, 2020
DarkJeddi:

Hmmm! When will this be effected?
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by Okwarakele: 7:51pm On Feb 26, 2020
[quote author=foxxydude post=86977829][/quote]true
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by adanny01(m): 8:42pm On Feb 26, 2020
DaRuud:

There is nothing like ' far more stable '

I hope you did understand what I meant even if the right term was no used.
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by adanny01(m): 8:43pm On Feb 26, 2020
homebase:
Please what is the definition of "unmetered customers?"

Is it referring to people with analogue meters or people without any meter at all?

No meter at all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

President-Elect Tinubu's 71st Birthday Tributes Dominate Newspaper Pages (Video) / A Nigeria Police Outpost In Zalau, Bauchi (photo) / Boko Haram: 10 Presidents Meet In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.