Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,193 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:03 PM

NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 (39050 Views)

Discos Make N1tn Amid Grid Crisis, Unmetered Customers Hit 5.8m / NERC Fines 11 DISCOs N10.5bn Over Overbilling Of Unmetered Customers / FG Withdraws Power Of Attorney For 40% Shares In Discos From BPE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by adanny01(m): 1:10pm On Feb 26, 2020
I felt relieved with this news.

Disco's have since realized that electricity consumers are smart especially with new power saving electric equipment allowing consumers to pay far less when metered than when arbitrary estimate are made.

Disco's resort to giving their agents target just like banks do, in other to meet up, agents use bureaucratic means to hinder delivery of meters then over estimate bills of consumers who have the will to keep up with payments.

Read the news

Amidst sustained outrages on over billing, the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) has barred the 11 Distribution Companies (DisCos) from charging residential customers above an average of N1,800 monthly until they are metered.

In an Order 197 signed by the Chairman, Prof. James Momoh and the Commissioner, Legal, Licencing & Compliance, Dafe Akpeneye, NERC said the new order repeals the 2012 estimated billing regulation effective since last Thursday.

It also said electricity consumers have grown from five million in 2012 to over 10m by December 2019. But about 52 percent of them are not metered and are placed on estimated billing by the DisCos.

It said the Meter Assets Provider (MAP) was initiated to increase the metering of consumers within three years. “The Estimated Billing Methodology Regulation is hereby repealed and shall cease to have effect as a basis for computing the consumption of unmetered customers in NESI,” it noted. NERC said all unmetered residential and commercial customers shall not be invoiced for the consumption of energy if they are not metered by April.

Presently, it said R2 customers cannot be billed for more than the worth of 78 kilowatt hour (kwh) of energy monthly which is about N1,800. Residents that consume less than 50kwh will be billed at N4 per kwh and a maximum of N200 monthly. All other customers on higher tariff classes must be metered by DisCos by 30 April 2020. “Failing which these customers are not liable to pay any estimated bill issued by the DisCo.” Any customer that rejects the installation of a meter on their premises by a DisCo shall not be entitled to supply and must be disconnected, it noted.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/nerc-bars-discos-from-billing-unmetered-residents-above-n1800.html

45 Likes 9 Shares

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by tsephanyah(f): 1:16pm On Feb 26, 2020
Wow! This is Awesome
God bless president Buhari
God bless Nigeria

70 Likes

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by kerzhim(m): 1:18pm On Feb 26, 2020
For Nigerians to have adequate power supply, all residents needs to be metered.

106 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by adanny01(m): 1:23pm On Feb 26, 2020
The energy cap puts a maximum limit on your Disco. They can't bill you more than the cap unless you are metered.

Check your energy caps below.

Moderators please front page so Nigerians can know.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by adanny01(m): 1:24pm On Feb 26, 2020
More

2 Likes

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by adanny01(m): 1:34pm On Feb 26, 2020
More

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by Dabronze(m): 1:36pm On Feb 26, 2020
That's interesting our landlord will give me rest of mind on NEPA bill

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by oz4real83(m): 1:36pm On Feb 26, 2020
Will customers also pay the N1,800 any month there wasn't electricity? I don't know what is so difficult with forcing discos to give prepaid meters. If there are no meters, don't bill anything. Let the discos be at loss with their inability to provide prepaid meters.

68 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by edoairways: 1:39pm On Feb 26, 2020
tsephanyah:
Wow! This is Awesome
God bless Nigeria
It isn't awesome. The discos would now supply more power to areas that generate huge revenue at the expense of the masses.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by adanny01(m): 1:41pm On Feb 26, 2020
tsephanyah:
Wow! This is Awesome
God bless Nigeria

This came at a time I planning to write a complain to NERC.

Can you imagine being charged 90kwh one month and 2 months later 450kwh! Did I suddenly change my house to welding factory house?

I guess their gimmicks has come back to hunt them.

We will see how quickly and seemless meters will start flowing.

79 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by sben2308(m): 1:44pm On Feb 26, 2020
Please I have these questions ;

1.On the bill its 14,530 and I pay 13,000 but still PHCN officials came to my house and disconnected my line.Note I pleaded with them severally but they refuse to listen.What is d minimum we are supposed to pay when we receive our monthly bill.

2.Who can I report excess bill charges to because from 5500 to 15k is killing o?

Thanks

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by krokronyash(f): 1:45pm On Feb 26, 2020
grin grin cheesy cheesy grin

Power Nigeria up!
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by chachanga: 1:45pm On Feb 26, 2020
This should help deal with dem thieves if gullible docile Nigerians don't give them any extra chance.

Everyone should stay on their rights and resist them and all their shenanigans, they'll sit up.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by edoairways: 1:47pm On Feb 26, 2020
adanny01:
The energy cap puts a maximum limit on your Disco. They can't bill you more than the cap unless you are metered.

What is the meaning of R2, C2 etc. Secondly are those figures in kWh per hour. Please explain further because I don't understand those figures

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by edoairways: 1:49pm On Feb 26, 2020
chachanga:
This should help deal with dem thieves if gullible docile Nigerians don't give them any extra chance.

Everyone should stay on their rights and resist them and all their shenanigans, they'll sit up.
Since the news broke out, I non dey see light again oh. Dem manage dey give 5hrs to 6 hrs a day but dem don ves

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by adanny01(m): 1:51pm On Feb 26, 2020
edoairways:

It isn't awesome. The discos would now supply more power to areas that generate huge revenue at the expense of the masses.

I don't think so. The challenges of power distribution still exist. Those areas you think will now get more light may not have efficient power supply facilities such as transformers and proper network cables. They are still limited to their network capacity so cannot improve even if they want to.

For example, my area is close to a 132kV substation so we get power directly from the 33kV network which is far more stable and only control from the main substation. But the main town has an injection substation which converts the 33kV from the substation to 11kV which 95% of the town uses. That 33/11kV transformer is overloaded so the entire town operates on a ration even when enough power comes via the 132kV.

So even if all the areas using 33kV have faulty transformers, the main 33/11kV transformer will not take more load so the town cannot see more light.

Its the same problem all over the country.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by edoairways: 1:53pm On Feb 26, 2020
oz4real83:
Will customers also pay the N1,800 any month there wasn't electricity? I don't know what is so difficult with forcing discos to give prepaid meters. If there are no meters, don't bill anything. Let the discos be at loss with their inability to provide prepaid meters.
The tariff rates at too low hence the exorbitant charges. The government should do something by making sure both parties( disco and consumers) benefit mutually.

1 Like

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by LionTiger(m): 1:56pm On Feb 26, 2020
Who will execute this order in this lawless nation?
Watch the shameless corrupt DSCOS dance Micheal Jacksons " Backsliding" and head to Court.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by edoairways: 1:59pm On Feb 26, 2020
adanny01:

I don't think so. The challenges of power distribution still exist. Those areas you think will now get more light may not have efficient power supply facilities such as transformers and proper network cables. They are still limited to their network capacity so cannot improve even if they want to.

For example, my area is close to a 132kV substation so we get power directly from the 33kV network which is far more stable and only control from the main substation. But the main town has an injection substation which converts the 33kV from the substation to 11kV which 95% of the town uses. That 33/11kV transformer is overloaded so the entire town operates on a ration even when enough power comes via the 132kV.

So even if all the areas using 33kV have faulty transformers, the main 33/11kV transformer will not take more load so the town cannot see more light.

Its the same problem all over the country.
Na wa oh! does thunderstorm or lightening trip off power in your area during rainy season or the light remains stable throughout?
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by GamalNasser: 2:01pm On Feb 26, 2020
tsephanyah:
Wow! This is Awesome
God bless Nigeria

What has Buhari got to do with this ..let's thank the new minister who is committed to removing the Fashola rot

9 Likes

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by GamalNasser: 2:03pm On Feb 26, 2020
edoairways:

The tariff rates at too low hence the exorbitant charges. The government should do something by making sure both parties( disco and consumers) benefit mutually.

Trust me DISCOs this the way to force those eveil DISCOs to give people meteres and stop rejecting power from Gencos

4 Likes

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by chachanga: 2:06pm On Feb 26, 2020
edoairways:

Since the news broke out, I non dey see light again oh. Dem manage dey give 5hrs to 6 hrs a day but dem don ves

Oturugbeke grin

1 Like

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by adanny01(m): 2:07pm On Feb 26, 2020
edoairways:

What is the meaning of R2, C2 etc. Secondly are those figures in kWh per hour. Please explain further because I don't understand those figures

A1 Schools, Churches and Mosques
A2 Medium size barracks
A3 Large barracks,large agric processing companies
C1 Small businesses e.g small barbing and hair dressing saloons
C2 Hotels, banks
C3 large supermarkets, hypermarkets
D1 Small industries e.g welders,pure water companies
D2 Large scale industrials, Metal companies
D3 Oil companies, large construction companies
R1 Customers with consumption below 50 kilowatt
R2 Customers with consumption above50 kilowatt
R3 Small estate, government houses
S1 Street lights

R2S - 'S' stands for Single phase
R2T - 'T' stands for Triple phase

Yes all figures are kwh.

68 Likes 6 Shares

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by edoairways: 2:08pm On Feb 26, 2020
chachanga:

Oturugbeke grin
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by edoairways: 2:09pm On Feb 26, 2020
GamalNasser:

Trust me DISCOs this the way to force those eveil DISCOs to give people meteres and stop rejecting power from Gencos
I pray oh
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by edoairways: 2:16pm On Feb 26, 2020
Assuming my area in Benin city GRA is capped at 170 kWh per month, how hours does it translate to in a month?

1 Like

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by helinues: 2:22pm On Feb 26, 2020
Nice one
Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by adanny01(m): 2:24pm On Feb 26, 2020
edoairways:

Na wa oh! does thunderstorm or lightening trip off power in your area during rainy season or the light remains stable throughout?

It remains depending on a lot of factors.

A substation always has sophisticated equipment to trip off automatically when there is lightening. Secondly, substation operators have operating manuals and instruments that guide them in deciding when to switch off due to wind, temperature and other things if the system doesn't.

Most times, we see light trips off a miliseconds before lightening strikes or when rain turns to a windstorm.

Windstorm usually causes overhead wires to short circuit leading to failures.

In general, we get more electriicity during rain season. I assume due to lower transformer and cable temperatures.

13 Likes

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by adanny01(m): 2:42pm On Feb 26, 2020
edoairways:
Assuming my area in Benin city GRA is capped at 170 kWh per month, how hours does it translate to in a month?

We have 24hx30days in a month to make 720h assuming you have light 24/7. Every area has its monthly average which they use to calculate the estimated bill.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by Simplebeauty: 2:56pm On Feb 26, 2020
angry

this is good news oh but light no Kan dey stable again oh

All the estimated amount of yesteryears will they refund it? grin

Are you a salary earner? Do you need affordable loans?

1 Like

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by NotBeenPaid: 2:57pm On Feb 26, 2020

I'd only celebrate when I start noticing the effects, until then I'd be watching...

3 Likes

Re: NERC Bars Discos From Billing Unmetered Residents Above N1800 by Nobody: 2:57pm On Feb 26, 2020
adanny01:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Letter To Governor "Brf" On "Social Amenities Maintenance Proposal" / Children Hold Rally For Nnamdi Kanu's Release In Rivers (Photos) / Is akwa ibom becoming the new capital of Niger delta region?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.