Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,732 members, 7,809,807 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:18 PM

What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? (1573 Views)

Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? / I Want To Make My Marriage Work — Battered Wife Of Channels TV Staff / 7 Ways Nigerian Couples Can Make Their Marriage Work Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Feb 27, 2020
This thread is targeted at MARRIED COUPLES whose marriages have been a SUCCESS.

kindly come in here and summarize what has worked for you so in your marriage and give a brief advice to aspiring couples.

We need just brief and summary points.

The AIM of this thread is to encourage the single ones like me who still BELIEVE in LOVE and MARRIAGE despite the many stories of woes and doom flying about.

By SHARING on this thread you would be doing a SELFLESS act to HUMANITY and contributing your quota towards the hope of successful marriages in the 21st century.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by Lawgod247: 3:03pm On Feb 27, 2020
ok
Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Feb 27, 2020
I Made Sure I kept My WIFE where she belongs.
..... and that was All
Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Feb 27, 2020
EVILFOREST:
..... and that was All

Where did she belong?

9 Likes

Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by Chiebunigom1(f): 4:17pm On Feb 27, 2020
Forgiveness has always been my watchword.
Tolerance, selflessness, not taking advantage of the vulnerable side of my spouse.
Loving my husband's family from afar, because before marriage, I learned that over familiarity breeds contempt.
Minding my business also has helped me a lot, not trying to please anyone, but doing what is right.
I also love serving people in the extended family settings, but I don't stretch my limits. I know when to call it quits and turn a deaf ear and blind eyes to issues that drain both physically and emotionally.

And lastly, my husband cannot make me change my principles both financially, spiritually and otherwise. I will never cheat on my spouse.
I am enjoying my marriage though we have our uproar moments.
The moment my marriage becomes life threatening, I am going to call it quits.

17 Likes

Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by memories1(f): 6:35am On Feb 28, 2020
Forgiveness. Genuinely apologizing when wrong and working on any behaviour that offends my partner. Humility. Knowing when to give up an argument.

Same for him.

11 Likes

Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by NextD18: 6:46am On Feb 28, 2020
Any marriage without a son is statistically proven unsuccessful.

3 Likes

Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by Acidosis(m): 7:29am On Feb 28, 2020
In whatever you do or read, please note that the very fact that a man and a woman live together as husband and wife doesn't necessarily mean their marriage is "successful". Being together for one, two or three decades is not a true test of marital success. You can't be tolerating your spouse or threatening divorce and tell me your marriage is successful.

This thread to the best of my knowledge is not for homes where tolerance and endurance are the main ingredients. Love is supposed to rule, not tolerance and endurance for rubbish. Please take note OP. You can't be enduring rubbish and tell me you're successful.

20 Likes

Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by Uyi168: 7:39am On Feb 28, 2020
EVILFOREST:
..... and that was All
But u are not married naa..
Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by CAPSLOCKED: 10:13am On Feb 28, 2020
AllforJesus7:

Where did she belong?
IN ZE KITCHEN AND ZA OZA ROOM.

Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by AFONAMARO: 1:14pm On Feb 28, 2020
NextD18:

Why do you people make female children appear less important? So all marriages without male children are unsuccessful?

I have two daughters, and they are the male and female I cherish

12 Likes

Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by helinues: 2:35pm On Feb 28, 2020
Not getting married at all

1 Like

Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by Mindlog: 4:00pm On Feb 28, 2020
Acidosis:
In whatever you do or read, please note that the very fact that a man and a woman live together as husband and wife doesn't necessarily mean their marriage is "successful". Being together for one, two or three decades is not a true test of marital success. You can't be tolerating your spouse or threatening divorce and tell me your marriage is successful.

This thread to the best of my knowledge is not for homes where tolerance and endurance are the main ingredients. Love is supposed to rule, not tolerance and endurance for rubbish. Please take note OP. You can't be enduring rubbish and tell me you're successful.

I agree with you as many do mistake years couples hang on to toxic marriages as successful.

1 Like

Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by Mindlog: 4:03pm On Feb 28, 2020
NextD18:

So you haven't seen separated/divorced couples with sons?
Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by Wayne4uall(m): 5:21pm On Feb 28, 2020
Lemme Learn.. To marry they fear me I swear. cry
Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Apr 25, 2020
AllforJesus7:
This thread is targeted at MARRIED COUPLES whose marriages have been a SUCCESS.

kindly come in here and summarize what has worked for you so in your marriage and give a brief advice to aspiring couples.

We need just brief and summary points.

The AIM of this thread is to encourage the single ones like me who still BELIEVE in LOVE and MARRIAGE despite the many stories of woes and doom flying about.

By SHARING on this thread you would be doing a SELFLESS act to HUMANITY and contributing your quota towards the hope of successful marriages in the 21st century.

Thanks in advance.
hhahahahahahahaha. Is your marriage failing?
Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by bukatyne(f): 2:05pm On Apr 25, 2020
Acidosis:

shocked shocked shocked

Who vex you this afternoon?

You are right though.

We often confuse longevity of marriage with success.

Marriage is to be enjoyed not endured.
Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Apr 25, 2020
Acidosis:

Was shocked to read what some consider a successful marriage.
Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by Acidosis(m): 7:47pm On Apr 25, 2020
bukatyne:

shocked shocked shocked

Who vex you this afternoon?

You are right though.

We often confuse longevity of marriage with success.

Marriage is to be enjoyed not endured.

grin grin No one vex me o
Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by keenn: 8:09pm On Apr 25, 2020
NextD18:

let me tell you this for free.

the importance of a male child has been overflogged and so unecessary, you will only understand this latter.

ask fathers and mothers in their 60s amd 70s about if they which they had more male or fenale children,

2 Likes

Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by Alennsar(f): 8:14pm On Apr 25, 2020
Trust, transparency and being submissive.
My husband has more knowledge of our religion more than me and alhamdulillah he's putting it into use. Our affair is decided through mutual consultation. And neither of us is extravagant in nature. I try to support him and give advice when necessary and vice versa.

I try to mind my business when it comes to family sometimes because it might get complicated and that has given me nothing but absolute peace and progress.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by Ibechris2: 12:41am On Apr 26, 2020
Marrying ur friend is the beginning of a happy home...and every other thing shall be added to it.

2 Likes

Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by Lionessza6(f): 6:56am On Apr 26, 2020
Chiebunigom1:

Forgiveness has always been my watchword.
Tolerance, selflessness, not taking advantage of the vulnerable side of my spouse.
Loving my husband's family from afar, because before marriage, I learned that over familiarity breeds contempt.
Minding my business also has helped me a lot, not trying to please anyone, but doing what is right.
I also love serving people in the extended family settings, but I don't stretch my limits. I know when to call it quits and turn a deaf ear and blind eyes to issues that drain both physically and emotionally.

And lastly, my husband cannot make me change my principles both financially, spiritually and otherwise. I will never cheat on my spouse.
I am enjoying my marriage though we have our uproar moments.
The moment my marriage becomes life threatening, I am going to call it quits.

I enjoyed reading this post.

1 Like

Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by alex4nj(f): 7:29am On Apr 26, 2020
I AM DOING MY WIFE A FAVOUR BY CHEATING ON HER��‍♀️�

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk-_U9yoIfc

Please, go watch, and, tell us what you think��‍♀️
And, please, don't forget to Subscribe�
Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by Lionessza6(f): 7:41am On Apr 26, 2020
Acidosis:

I like this submission .
Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by Lionessza6(f): 7:42am On Apr 26, 2020
Ibechris2:
Marrying ur friend is the beginning of a happy home...and every other thing shall be added to it.

Totally agree with this.

1 Like

Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by cococandy(f): 8:06am On Apr 26, 2020
cool
Acidosis:

1 Like

Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by Titi03(f): 8:52am On Apr 26, 2020
Mindlog:

So you haven't seen separated/divorced couples with sons?

..or even those who stay together but are miserable asf.

I've seen cases where male children;
- become extremely wayward, violent and difficult to control,
- leave the house at an early age to pursue contumatious lifestyles,
- or start taking sides with the mother against the father when marital crisis arises, thus leading to total breakdown of the home. Then in the future, turn against the mother when they eventually grow up and realise how manipulative she probably was in the situation.

These are things I've seen repeated in many families. Male children don't guarantee anything other than the immediate gratification you get when you give birth to one.

4 Likes

Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by Mindlog: 8:54am On Apr 26, 2020
Titi03:

..or even those who stay together but are miserable asf.

I've seen cases where male children;
- become extremely wayward, violent and difficult to control,
- leave the house at an early age to pursue contumatious lifestyles,
- or start taking sides with the mother against the father when marital crisis arises, thus leading to total breakdown of the home. Then in the future, turn against the mother when they eventually grow up and realise how manipulative she probably was in the situation.

These are things I've seen repeated in many families. Male children don't guarantee anything other than the immediate gratification you get when you give birth to one.

Well said.

1 Like

Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by Nobody: 9:05am On Apr 26, 2020
I kept wondering, they will completely go into matrimony with one person, then in a short while, they begin to go round dating sites, searching for old friend's number on their phones, searching all over for love.

Ha. What's happening?

Let's hear from those succeding. So we can learn

2 Likes

Re: What Efforts Did You Make To Make Your Marriage Work? by Femsyn(m): 9:43am On Apr 26, 2020
Please note, these are my own personal efforts, and in no way aimed at being general...

The efforts I made started even before I asked her out. First, we were friends, cos there are unique traits humans exhibit during friendship and during courtship. These traits are sometimes different, especially when dealing with a desperate partner. In my case, the traits that endeared me to her during friendship were the same during courtship.

Physically speaking, she might've only passed above average for me, but since I loved every other thing aside her above average looks, I sought the face of God personally, for guidance. God okayed her perfectly. 5years of marriage... I now know why.

It was pretty easy, cos she loved me too, obviously. During our friendship, it was glaring I had what she wanted in a man. We have similar IQ levels, so communication wasnt a problem. Jokes were easily understood. We have a similar background. Our stories pans out good, so intuition were at par. Spirituality was top notch, cos its important our irons sharpens one another, to ensure growth in all areas.

During dating, more endearing qualities shone and i loved her even more.

In all honesty, before we started dating, I didn't have plans for marriage, but the signs were too overwhelming for me to allow her stay any longer in her father's house eventually.

In marriage, there were issues, but the qualities we both share helped us communicate, understand and trash out issues easier. It wasn't easy, especially the first 1year, but we tarried, and here we are.

As couples, we support one another wholeheartedly. No major decision is made without the input of one another. No ego is raised over the other person, and she has remained submissive. Building documents bear both our names. This is to ensure inclusiveness and trust, and she has reciprocated without any push, even without asking.

One way we've learnt to trash out issues, is to chat it out, mainly on WhatsApp, cos we've since learnt that raising our voices doesn't achieve anything. Even when we fight, we ensure we still share the same bed, so discords never last beyond a day. This is so because we're both always willing to resolve issues, and meet at a common ground.

I can write a book on the journey thus far, but I will stop here. Still learning tho.

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Electronics Review (TV) : Share Your Experience / Is Reception A Most In Wedding / Touching Story Of A Single Mother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.